Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by misterschu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I've got a Batman 66 here that refuses to start multiball. With locks lit, shots into the lock will correctly register the first two. The third ball goes in, and rather than awarding it, the game completely loses track of the ball and goes into wait-and-hunt mode, periodically spinning the turntable and cycling the coils. It never starts multiball, though with three balls locked, you can often start it yourself by flicking them with your finger.

The three lock switches in the turntable are working - both with fingers and with balls. (Hmm - I guess that could have been phrased better.) As far as I can tell, the problem is that when all three balls are in the lock, and the lock post is up, they're packed so tightly that the ball furthest from the post (lock 1) actually lifts up enough to deactivate its switch. There seems to be no way to adjust the length of the lock lane. Either this, or a software error.

Before I go bending brand-new switches around to try and get it working, has anyone else experienced / solved this behavior? I couldn't find anything on it in the forums or the Stern website, but it feels like the kind of thing that might be a known issue - hence this post.

9 months later
#2 1 year ago

I had the same problem and e-mailed Mitch (OP). Here's what I report:

Ok, I'm not sure I have resolved this yet but it seems to be better. I have emailed Stern and they tell me it is switch related, however I'm not sure I agree. The "ball search" occurs regardless of 1 2 or 3 balls in the lock chamber. It can also happen on draining the ball as well (when there are locked balls in the chamber). I believe there might be a set of unique circumstances which lead to this happening, and perhaps it is code related. I have also tested the switches multiple times and find them to be working OK. Since I put the new code 0.90 on the game it seems to be much better, however very occasionally it will still fault. I can live with it at this stage, and now the game is on a commercial location I'm less aware of when or how often it is happening. I shall monitor, and report back.

5 months later
#3 7 months ago

I just purchased a premium and have the latest code and am still experiencing the same issue as reported by simonzzz. Any suggestions on a fix?

#4 7 months ago

Are you sure it's not a faulty third switch? You tested it in the test menu I trust...

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from jorant:

Are you sure it's not a faulty third switch? You tested it in the test menu I trust...

Yes, I tested it in the test menu and it works fine. I did notice last night that one of my Joker Targets was installed slightly below the playfield so that it was stuck closed. I am wondering if that switch being stuck closed plays any part in the machine losing track of the locked balls thinking that one is still in play or not. Once, I figure that target out, I will see if the lock problem continues.

#6 7 months ago
Quoted from murdock:

Yes, I tested it in the test menu and it works fine. I did notice last night that one of my Joker Targets was installed slightly below the playfield so that it was stuck closed. I am wondering if that switch being stuck closed plays any part in the machine losing track of the locked balls thinking that one is still in play or not. Once, I figure that target out, I will see if the lock problem continues.

Those stuck targets are a known issue with this game. There are many posts and solutions to correct the issue. It does need to be addressed though. Good luck!

7 months later
#7 10 days ago

I'm having the same issue on my brand new machine
I reached out to stern support and they provided the following suggestion:

"These switches are known as “micro switches.” They have a small, pill shaped button that is actuated by a metal reed. This reed acts as a lever to make pressing the pill shaped button easier. The metal reed can be bent slightly to increase or decrease the leverage. In your case, the reed should be bent somewhere near the center of the reed so that more of the reed is exposed to the ball. This will give the ball more leverage to actuate the switch."

But I'm really not clear on what's being suggested or if I have to dissemble the rotisserie to do so. I tried futzing a little bit with it without success.

#8 10 days ago

It's odd that it's a known problem and a game that is getting code updates. There's no reason (afaik) that the third ball needs to sit in the lock mech to start multiball, just have it start on that third right orbit. For ball lock one and two, won't a weak right orbit shot credit the lock even if it doesn't land in the physical lock?

#9 10 days ago
Quoted from misterschu:

It's odd that it's a known problem and a game that is getting code updates. There's no reason (afaik) that the third ball needs to sit in the lock mech to start multiball, just have it start on that third right orbit. For ball lock one and two, won't a weak right orbit shot credit the lock even if it doesn't land in the physical lock?

That is a slick solution... Lyman please do this

#10 9 days ago

Yea software fix would be nice...it is a huge bummer not being able to do multi-ball. Last night I even took switch the 3rd lock switch out reseated the metal leaf and it still didn't work! Support is sending me a new roller switch so I guess i'll try that.

#11 8 days ago

It's an especially troublesome issue because the switches are hard to reach for switch test and even harder to adjust.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
$ 26.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
10,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Upper Marlboro, MD
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hauppauge, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside