DoubleFacePalm (resized).jpg
golf1 (resized).png
ATM (resized).jpg
F7637102-FF19-4428-9F59-88E366D380E9 (resized).png
8EFDD6D6-48E7-40BA-8564-3238A4B36C60 (resized).jpeg
BM66 (resized).png
89 batman (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg

There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

You're not going to get anymore tracking info according to China Post's website:
"Unregistered China Post Packages are trackable only when they are being transported within China. As soon as such parcel is exported to the destination country, it becomes unavailable for tracking. Its tracking numbers usually begin with the letter "U"."
Also, the limit of China Post Packages is 30kg, according to their website.
Sorry, but you aren't getting a pinball machine.

https://cdn.europosters.eu/image/1300/posters/lego-batman-close-up-i34547.jpg

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#152 4 years ago

Maybe he ends up receiving this...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41lCP4kk4RL.jpg

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#153 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

You may actually get a real BM66, but it would be because of triangulation fraud:
Triangulation fraud
This is one of the most common and simplest types of fraud that is currently happening at this level. Mostly because it is not only simple, but safe for the fraudsters. They start by setting up a reseller account on eBay or Amazon and post ads to sell legitimate goods. When a customer buys an item from them on these sites, the money goes into their personal account. Then they take that order information to another retailer which sells the same item, buy the item using stolen credit card data, and has it shipped to the address on the original customer that is expecting it. If the authorities follow up, they head to the home of the innocent party as the fraudster makes off with the money.
https://www.radial.com/insights/understanding-triangulation-fraud

Yeah, have seen this happen, not good.

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, have seen this happen, not good.

So what happens then to the purchaser? Are they on the hook for the money? Do they return the item?

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

So what happens then to the purchaser? Are they on the hook for the money? Do they return the item?

The retail outlet that actually shipped the goods would incur a chargeback from the stolen cc, and then it would be up to them to pursue the buyer for a return of item. However, I doubt that's in play here, because I doubt a Chinese Distributor of Stern is going to send a pinball machine back to the US. Plus, China Post doesn't ship over 30kg in weight, so there's no pinball machine in play here.

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

The retail outlet that actually shipped the goods would incur a chargeback from the stolen cc, and then it would be up to them to pursue the buyer for a return of item. However, I doubt that's in play here, because I doubt a Chinese Distributor of Stern is going to send a pinball machine back to the US. Plus, China Post doesn't ship over 30kg in weight, so there's no pinball machine in play here.

Is there anything in the shipping notice that identifies the address or any personal info of the OP or actually tracks it all the way to the destination? My guess is the scammer is using the same tracking number and sending it to everyone that falls for the scam. These guys most likely aren't taking the time to box something up and drop it off at the post office in China for everyone. If a real pinball machine shows up (from an American distributor purchased using another person's stolen CC#) the buyer is none the wiser and thinks it's the item from China and doesn't perform a chargeback on the $89.

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I expect this to be to scale for your delivery....However someone took a sharpie to it![quoted image]

Everybody funny now you funny too!

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Is there anything in the shipping notice that identifies the address or any personal info of the OP or actually tracks it all the way to the destination? My guess is the scammer is using the same tracking number and sending it to everyone that falls for the scam. These guys most likely aren't taking the time to box something up and drop it off at the post office in China for everyone. If a real pinball machine shows up (from an American distributor purchased using another person's stolen CC#) the buyer is none the wiser and thinks it's the item from China and doesn't perform a chargeback on the $89.

It shows the Postal Carrier's name in China that picked it up.

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I expect this to be to scale for your delivery....However someone took a sharpie to it![quoted image]

I don't see anything amiss.

Congrats on the full size Batman66!

#160 4 years ago

89 batman (resized).jpg89 batman (resized).jpg

#161 4 years ago

Just so many of these kinds of ads, look on Facebook, 6000 dollar electric cars for $189, genuine Gibson Les Paul Customs and Fender Strats for #79. All say free shipping. Anyone that falls for these scams is just being silly. If it sounds too good to be true it is. They take your $89 and sell your personal info and cc info to other scammers. CC protection sure but if they find you're being negligent in buying a lot of this kind of stuff they may cut you off and cancel your card at some point. Pay a good price to a legitimate dealer and get what you pay for!

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

It shows the Postal Carrier's name in China that picked it up.

I just looked up the tracking on Parcelmonitor and it doesn't show anything in the "TO" address. The shipper sent something to someone on Aug 17th, but they could very well be sending this same tracking number out to the numerous people that fell for the scam. The tracking number is just a way to buy time and make people think that they are legitimately getting something. Sending something out means that the sender has to spend money, even if it seems like an insignificant amount. My guess is that the OP won't receive anything from China with that tracking number. We should know either way soon enough.

BM66 (resized).pngBM66 (resized).png
#163 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I just looked up the tracking on Parcelmonitor and it doesn't show anything in the "TO" address. The shipper sent something to someone on Aug 17th, but they could very well be sending this same tracking number out to the numerous people that fell for the scam. The tracking number is just a way to buy time and make people think that they are legitimately getting something. Sending something out means that the sender has to spend money, even if it seems like an insignificant amount. My guess is that the OP won't receive anything from China with that tracking number. We should know either way soon enough.[quoted image]

I posted the info earlier....The "U" prefix in the tracking number means it's not tracked once it leaves China. It's unregistered. So there wouldn't be any "TO" address at this point. I'm not arguing your point, however, and it's probably part of the scam to delay. If you read some of the reviews of China Post, people have been waiting in excess of 70 days for a delivery. Who knows whether they will actually receive anything, but probably not, and if they do, not what they ordered.

#164 4 years ago

Wow, I'm late to this thread but I am sucked in now!

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I posted the info earlier....The "U" prefix in the tracking number means it's not tracked once it leaves China. It's unregistered. So there wouldn't be any "TO" address at this point. I'm not arguing your point, however, and it's probably part of the scam to delay. If you read some of the reviews of China Post, people have been waiting in excess of 70 days for a delivery. Who knows whether they will actually receive anything, but probably not, and if they do, not what they ordered.

I agree. I'm just pointing out that there's probably a really good chance that the OP won't get anything at all. The seller probably ships out 1 item a week and sends that same tracking number out to everyone since it's not registered and not tracked all the way to the destination.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

You may actually get a real BM66, but it would be because of triangulation fraud:
Triangulation fraud
This is one of the most common and simplest types of fraud that is currently happening at this level. Mostly because it is not only simple, but safe for the fraudsters. They start by setting up a reseller account on eBay or Amazon and post ads to sell legitimate goods. When a customer buys an item from them on these sites, the money goes into their personal account. Then they take that order information to another retailer which sells the same item, buy the item using stolen credit card data, and has it shipped to the address on the original customer that is expecting it. If the authorities follow up, they head to the home of the innocent party as the fraudster makes off with the money.
https://www.radial.com/insights/understanding-triangulation-fraud

Hmm, I think this is exactly what I fell prey to a few years ago. But it wasn't anything so blatantly obvious as an $89 pinball machine!

My wife always wanted a nice KitchenAid mixer. I'd watched them long enough to know they almost never go on sale. Christmastime 2014 (or 2015) rolls around and Ebay promotes aggressive "deals" on their home page - you know the kind - which occasionally highlight KitchenAid mixers. But of course the ones specifically highlighted in eBay's homepage promotion aren't the nicer model / color combo my wife wants. Still, the deals are decent for what they are so I continue to check over the next couple weeks, expand search terms, etc...

…Eventually the Model / Color my wife wants shows up at a sizeable discount. Not something obscene like a $50 total, but more like a $400 marked to $250 or something like that - still almost entirely unheard of, but just plausibly reasonable (30% off, given other ebay / Xmas / black Friday promotions...?) to not seem entirely alarming.

Yet some red flags were apparent to me: 1) the items were marked "to be" in stock; 2) The seller was relatively new with minimal feedback; 3) There were several model / color combos available... but the seller had NO other items (what, they specialize in mixers, only now)? It was enough to give me pause. I even joked with friends that given the seller's New Jersey location, the mixers were probably "scheduled to fall off a truck". BUT legit surplus / overstock / liquidation / repo / black-Friday-discount merchandising works in all sort of random ways, by which this one seemed plausible enough as a "really unusual if not obviously criminally insane" deal, so I placed an order *using my credit card not paypal*.

I received a tracking number. And I even received the exact mixer I ordered, ahead of time! Brand new in a perfect box... labeled as shipped from a Kohl's (in TX, more on that later), not some rando in New Jersey. To an unknown name with my address.

Uh-Oh.

I did some sleuthing on the name and shipping label - it was a person some 60 miles away. I was able to decipher the KOHL's order number on the label, which led to a *different* person and Kohl's store account based in TX. Nothing made logistical sense, so it was then apparent to me that I'd become involved in some kind of scam, but I didn't understand precisely how, since all I did was pay for and get what I ordered?

I thought about contacting the individuals and/or Kohl's directly but didn't want to be mistaken as the one directly responsible for scamming them. So I instead called the Police and my Credit Card company. The police came to the house and took my statement and info but left the merch "for now" pending investigation, since they were similarly confused. I explained to the CC that I might have inadvertently compromised my own account number and advised them of the police investigation, so they canceled my card number and sent a new one. Not knowing if the police would come get the merch or follow with Kohl's or what, I told the CC I wasn't sure what to do with the mixer... they said to keep it and after an investigation on their end, they actually refunded it (!)

But I still had the mixer! Which was "tainted" as "quasi-stolen goods" in my opinion, so I really didn't want anything to do with it. My wife inevitably heard the fallout over my attempted gift so the "surprise" was ruined. [Fortunately I found an identical mixer on the Amazon Outlet that was like new but needed a switch repaired, discounted about the same (see, my pricing ideas weren't so out of line!). Amazon further discounted it after they botched the shipping, and the switch was easy to fix, so I came out alright on my original intent for even less money, oddly enough].

As for the scam: later another random package arrived, again from Kohl's, to a random name. This time the police took it (it was small). But they never took the mixer. So we donated that to a charity auction. I figured that was the best outcome of a messy situation with possibly tainted goods. Fortunately we received no other packages.

The ebay account was canceled after a few weeks - from feedback left up until then, I was actually one of the "lucky" ones who got a mixer.

The police in my small town were/are obviously too busy to be bothered with issues of petty interstate commerce - as the officer told me then.

In the end I got lucky / came out ahead / paid it forward, but the old adage rings: if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. I felt foolish for falling for it, but still say it seemed plausible enough; nonetheless, my spidey-sense said to take appropriate measures which proved to be correct.

If you're going to take the bait on chance, make sure to protect yourself.

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Wow, I'm late to this thread but I am sucked in now!

Welcome aboard!

#168 4 years ago

Swat team will show up at your house.

#169 4 years ago

I ordered a prop antique lock from ebay via China post. After 4 months i got my 3 bucks back from ebay. Another 3 months later it showed up one day in mailbox. Im a jerk, i could not find transaction on paypal to send them money, Free Lock.

#170 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Hmm, I think this is exactly what I fell prey to a few years ago. But it wasn't anything so blatantly obvious as an $89 pinball machine!
My wife had always wanted a nice KitchenAid mixer. I'd been watching them long enough to know they almost never go on sale. Christmastime 2014 (or 2015) rolls around and Ebay is promoting "deals" on their home page - you know the kind - which occasionally highlight KitchenAid mixers specifically. Of course, the ones specifically highlighted in eBay's homepage promotion aren't the nicer model / color combo my wife wants, but the deals are decent for what they are. It stays in my mind to search over the next couple weeks, expand search terms, etc...
…eventually the Model / Color my wife wants shows up on sale for a sizeable discount. Not something obscene like a $50 mixer, but it was like a $400 marked to $250 or something like that - almost unheard of, but just plausibly reasonable (30% off, and given other ebay / Xmas / black Friday promotions...?) to not seem entirely alarming.
Still, some red flags were apparent to me: 1) the items were marked "to be" in stock; 2) The seller was relatively new with minimal feedback; 3) There were several model / color combos available... but the seller had NO other items (what, they specialize in mixers, only now?)
It was enough to give me pause. I even joked with friends that given the seller's New Jersey location, the mixers were probably scheduled to fall off a truck". But then surplus / overstock / liquidation / repo merchandising works in all sort of random legitimate ways, and this one" again seemed plausible enough as a "really unusual, but not criminally insane" deal, so...
...I placed an order *using my credit card not paypal*.
Sure enough, I received a tracking number. And I even received the exact mixer I ordered! Brand new in a perfect box. Labeled as shipped from a Kohl's (in TX, more on that later), not some rando in New Jersey. To a different name on my address.
Uh-Oh.
I did some sleuthing on the name on the shipping label - it was a person some 60 miles away. I was able to decipher the KOHL's order number on the label, which led to a different person and account (based in TX).
Nothing made logistical sense, so it seemed clear to me that I was involved in some kind of scam, but I didn't understand how since I got what I ordered?
I thought about reaching out to the individuals and/or Kohl's directly but didn't want to be mistaken as someone directly responsible for scamming them. So I called the Police and my Credit Card company. The police took my statement and info but left the merch "for now" pending investigation, since they were similarly confused. I explained to the CC that I might have inadvertently compromised my own account number and advised them of the police investigation, so they canceled my card number and sent a new one. Not knowing if the police would come get the merch or follow with Kohl's or what, I told the CC I wasn't sure what to do with the mixer... they said to keep it and after an investigation on their end, they actually refunded it (!)
But I still had the mixer! Which was "tainted" as "quasi-stolen goods" in my opinion, so I really didn't want anything to do with it. And my wife inevitably heard the fallout over my attempted gift so the "surprise" was ruined. Fortunately I found an identical mixer on the Amazon Outlet that was like new but needed a switch repaired, so it was discounted about the same (see, my pricing ideas weren't so out of line!). Amazon further discounted it after they botched the shipping, so I came out alright on my original intent for even less money, oddly enough. The switch was easy to fix.
As for the scam: we later had another random package arrive to our address, again from Kohl's, again to a random name. This time the police took it (it was small). But they never took the mixer. So we donated that to a charity auction. I figured that was the best outcome of a messy situation with possibly tainted goods. Fortunately we received no other packages.
The ebay account was canceled after a few weeks - from feedback left up until then, I was actually one of the "lucky" ones who got a mixer.
The police in my small town were/are obviously too busy to be bothered with issues of petty interstate commerce - as the officer told me then.
In the end I got lucky / came out ahead / paid it forward but the old adage rings: if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. I felt foolish for falling for it, but yet it seemed plausible enough... nonetheless, my guard was up to take appropriate measures which proved to be the correct course of action.
If you're going to take the bait on chance, make sure to protect yourself.

I think this is pretty common. especially on Ebay. If something seems too good to be true it usually is. Good on you for reporting it and paying it forward. It would be quite the ethical dilemma for the OP if he really did receive a real but fraudulent BM66 although at that dollar value I'm sure the CC fraud dept. would make him return it. This thread could get really interesting!

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If this showed up for 89 bucks, I would be happy. Would look awesome sitting on a shelf.

#172 4 years ago

You will get a picture of batman flipping you off.

#173 4 years ago

Well friend...thanks for taking the plunge because this thread is entertaining and so worth 89 bucks LOL! Appreciate the entertainment and regardless hope you get something out of this!

#174 4 years ago

No word from the OP.. I bet he's too busy to post as he's most likely playing some games on a brand new batman 66

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

If nothing else, there's $89 worth of entertainment in this thread.

Quoted from Nikonokin:

Well friend...thanks for taking the plunge because this thread is entertaining and so worth 89 bucks LOL!

As long as you're not the one out $89.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#176 4 years ago

He’s prob telling the marshalls he didn’t order a pinball machine loaded with fentanyl.

#177 4 years ago

Following

#178 4 years ago

Let’s keep this thread positive. I hope he at least receives something that will make a good story!

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Let’s keep this thread positive. I hope he at least receives something that will make a good story!

I hope the OP is honest about what happens to his credit card, etc down the line. There are some scammers sitting on his full credit card details, name and home address.

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Identity theft hassles and having to update all of your autopays with a new credit card count as something.

#181 4 years ago

I seriously have doubts that he will receive anything at all.

#182 4 years ago

They have been emailing me when there is a change in status and i've not had one in a week. I just checked it and its the same status it was as of Aug 30. I'm sure many of the people saying I'll get nothing at all are probably the heavy favorite on the actual outcome. If SWAT shows up, I hope its while I'm home so we can all play a few games on my Iron Maiden pin.

Someone mentioned a Kitchen Aid in the thread, I picked one up off of ebay a couple years ago for $250, they're sold from an actual account named Kitchenaid that currently has close to 32k feedback, so I think it could be a part of the actual company. The difference though from the $350+ mixer is the bowl drops with a manual crank handle instead of the head onlocking and rotating up to take the bowl out. AvE on youtube has dismantled one similar to the crank one and it seems like its ok. I've been using mine almost 2 years and it works pretty well, though it seems quite a bit louder. I use it mostly to mix up bread dough, which is pretty hard on the machine compared to most other purposes. It seems pretty skookum so far.

I'm not worried about $89 if i end up never getting anything and for whatever reason cant get a refund. Its all on me, the tequila made me do it. I just hope I get something thats entertaining

#183 4 years ago

Well, I appreciate you taking this on for our entertainment.

#184 4 years ago

As far as the Kitchen Aid mixer goes the manual hand crank version you describe is the professional more expensive model 450+$ the tilting head is the cheaper home edition 250$.

It never made sense to me but that's how it is.

#185 4 years ago

This is an $89 thread. That's what you purchased, @rikity. Enjoy it.

#186 4 years ago

Great thread... Good Luck OP

#187 4 years ago

Must be legit .....look at he artist name ''Pinball Machine's playfield art is done by Kevin O'Connor and Christopher Franchise"

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:Must be legit .....look at he artist name ''Pinball Machine's playfield art is done by Kevin O'Connor and Christopher Franchise"

Christopher Franchise does great work!

#191 4 years ago
8EFDD6D6-48E7-40BA-8564-3238A4B36C60 (resized).jpeg8EFDD6D6-48E7-40BA-8564-3238A4B36C60 (resized).jpeg
#192 4 years ago

Welp, dude musta got a photo of a pinball machine, and a brand new much lower credit score, free of charge

#193 4 years ago

Or it had ghosting and he sent it back.

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Or it had ghosting and he sent it back.

More likely he had pooling around the posts and refused it at delivery

#195 4 years ago

Aaaaaaand....

Turned out to be a real pinball machine, so now he is being quiet and ordering as many as possible

#196 4 years ago

Hahaha. The original link in post #1 doesn’t link to a pinball machine anymore. Now you get baby buggies.

F7637102-FF19-4428-9F59-88E366D380E9 (resized).pngF7637102-FF19-4428-9F59-88E366D380E9 (resized).png
#197 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Hahaha. The original link in post #1 doesn’t link to a pinball machine anymore. Now you get baby buggies.[quoted image]

Because the pinball machine is on its way to @rikity! Of course they have to sell something else now. lol.

#198 4 years ago

I don't know what I expected but this seems like the most anticlimactic thread ever.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

I don't know what I expected but this seems like the most anticlimactic thread ever.

Well, it has not climaxed yet, you gotta be patient.
--Scott

#200 4 years ago

ON and on and on it goes,where it will stop,no,one knows!!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-for-89-i-dont-know-what-i-m-really-going-to-get/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.