• Halle Barry 155 votes
    41%
  • Lee Meriwether 171 votes
    46%
  • Eartha Kitt 49 votes
    13%

(375 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 969 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3945 (resized).JPG
IMG_8821 (resized).JPG
20170111_211313 (resized).jpg
IMG_8785 (resized).JPG
IMG_8580 (resized).JPG
PhotoGrid_1484104656883 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104697396 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104747814 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104994689 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #1 Flyer announcing Batman 66 Posted by GAP (3 years ago)

Post #4163 Photo of the Batman 66 playfield via Stern Posted by dmbjunky (2 years ago)

Post #4193 Photos of the SLE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (2 years ago)

Post #4194 Photo of LE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (2 years ago)

Post #4264 Clear photo of the entire SLE Posted by DCFAN (2 years ago)

Post #4449 Video from the Stern tour at Expo 2016 Posted by KingBW (2 years ago)

Post #4974 Batman 66 Product and Feature Matrix Posted by KLR2014 (2 years ago)

Post #5953 Official Flyers from Stern for Three Editions of Batman '66 Posted by PanzerFreak (2 years ago)

Post #6359 Photos of the cat woman ramp issue Posted by J85M (2 years ago)

Post #6450 Direct Link to Stern Factory tour with Batman '66 on the line. Posted by BrewinBombers (2 years ago)

Post #6555 "Sneak Peak" video of Batman '66 gameplay video from Stern. Posted by Rum-Z (2 years ago)

Post #6703 First gameplay video of Batman66 from GAP! Posted by GAP (2 years ago)

Post #6716 Game Play video of Batman66 from GAP Posted by GAP (2 years ago)

Post #6745 First home unboxing of a Batman 66 SLE! Posted by xfassa (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#962 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Spike 2.0
Sam and Spike can't run LCD

Well, they CAN, just not natively. Color DMD works fine. Stern could do that if they were so inclined.

#964 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Color DMD is not Full motion video being run fully in game code either.
I asked the question myself and was told by Stern that the current Spike system could not do what they needed.
It had to be upgraded to a Spike 2.0
I wish they were fibbing, but I doubt it.
I'm sure someone will come up with a work around some day.

Talking about adding color to recent Sterns retroactively, given the coarse resolution of the screen, relatively speaking, a color DMD solution replacing frames as they come would work, even on full video, so the SAM/Spike limits don't really matter. And, since Stern has the source for all these (some of the recent ones were probably created in color, then made monochrome) it wouldn't be like they'd have to color each frame.

Going forward, they could have done a colordmd type thing without upgrading spike, even with a screen 3 or 4x as pixel-dense, and it still wouldn't have been a problem. If they're going the JJP route with a giant screen, then I can see why they just made spoke 2.0 and called it a day. That's too many pixels for a colordmd type solution.

#967 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It'll either be 1366x768 or 1920x1080.

At half height? Seems strange.

#978 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

JJP#3 won't hit the docks until 18 months from now.

Are these Earth months or some other month with which I am unfamiliar?

#1051 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

JJP is in a odd place....
If they announce #3, guaranteed some Hobbit money goes towards #3 and Hobbit sales suffer.
But if they don't announce it, #3 money will get tied up in one of the other 1000 new machines out or coming very soon ... TBL, Alien, JPOP (hahaha couldn't resist) or one of Sterns 20 new titles they're working on.
Sorta damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of situation for JJP...
rd

They need to grow up into a real pinball manufacturer with multiple titles at some point. Worked fine for Bally/Williams and Stern. They can't do one pin at a time and hope to make a success of the business over the long haul, so this will be the first step in that direction.

#1059 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, hopefully they already have somebody diligently designing #4 as #3 is getting close to ready for manufacturing.

Isn't #4 supposed to be Toy Story?

#1067 3 years ago
Quoted from clg:

JJP is planning on running two lines and have already said the second will be building a small run of WOZ very soon. Presumably they will be building TH and JJP3 at the same time. Yes TH may take a sales hit from #3 but I'm sure Jack would rather take that hit than lose sales to Stern.

TH has already taken a hit from...TH. Not sure if it's because of the dud bloated movies or the actual machine's design, or a combination, but it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the heat/buzz of WoZ, so moving on to the next one is probably a fine idea anyway. Build out the orders they already have for TH and keep small fill-in runs, but move on to the next big thing(s).

#1111 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

The issue is the 90 % is now more like 85 % and it's falling further. I'd say newer games are going to take close to 20 % loss, when sold.

Or a 20-25% loss if you're unlucky enough to have a bad game like WWE or one needing more code like KISS. Regardless of the ask, KISS LEs are changing hands for around 6k or a little below right now (which I personally think is a great time to get one because code is coming, unlike WWE which will be a dog at any price). Pins should never be considered a great investment, or even a good one. They're fun, and you'll get some money back when you sell one. That's it.

#1115 3 years ago
Quoted from miguelortega:

yeah but its still Lonnie code. Which will never be stellar.

Lyman's supposed to be the one fixing KISS up, either solo or in tandem with Lonnie or another. Metallica eventually became stellar code with that team, remember? It's not the first time that's happened. Pretty sure KISS will get the love it needs to shine. It's already a fun pick up and play machine now, but with the right code could be amazing.

#1122 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Metallica was never a team. It's 100% Pure Lyman.

So then, is IPDB wrong listing Lonnie as one of the programmers on Metallica?

#1128 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes. That was Lyman's game from day 1.
The Lonnie/Lyman collaborations are Iron Man, Tron, Avatar and maybe BBH...all games that have the same general framework and rules. Lyman gave them excellent nuance, which is why "simple" games like Tron and IM eventually came to be revered as excellent games with longevity in a collection & in tournaments.

Well then, I'm looking forward to the nuance Lyman will bring to KISS code updates (and the bug fixes). If you're correct, someone should tell IPDB Lonnie shouldn't be listed as a programmer on Metallica, too.

#1131 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Where was it stated that he was doing the Kiss update? Between B'66 and the following release, he's had his hands full!

Back in one of the KISS threads after the most recent update in April. Don't remember who, but it was someone I don't doubt. And Lyman could executive produce the software revision without having to code every line, which is probably what's happening. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the next KISS update brings.

#1156 3 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Think about a Batman LE and a Green Hornet LE machines next to each other with a add-on tube/track/mini-playfield between cabinets, attached to both cabinets, that allowed the Green Hornet car and BatMobile to go from playfield to playfield, pin-to-pin. The cars could have lifelike figures that move and speak. Kato could be programmed to get out of the car and kick some evil person's face and then get back in the car. Cool green lights with fold down head lamps that shoot missiles (Flashing LEDS).... A NBAFastbreak-type two machine linkage would be needed, etc. With LCD screen old 1966 TV versions could be played during gameplay etc..
Stern....think out of the box/cabinet and get'r done.

You don't need a tube. Just some Bluetooth communication and you hit the "road" to the other pin in one machine and it triggers a ball release on the other pin, and vice versa. You could also "store" assists by hitting a certain shot or saucer and when the other pin needs help, hit the button in the lockdown bar to release a ball in the other machine, up to the number you've stored. Linked machine play like they've done with arcade machines could make simultaneous two player pinball pretty interesting.

#1190 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's still a shit game with shit toys and shit voices.

FWIW, I don't get the love for it, either. Walked away from a machine I put a bunch of free games on without even finishing the game I was on. Just boring. I didn't get it.

#1205 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I want Zombie Yeti and I want it now.

ZY isn't the cure for everything. His command of faces on Ghostbusters (Bill Murray, especially) is borderline atrocious. But it could be worse - it could be Data East art.

#1210 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Gb art is beautiful,Bill Murray's actual face is the cause of that,not zombie yeti.
He is awesome,go back to your woz.

I'm not saying you can't be a fan of ZY, just that he is at his best when not trying to draw acceptable human faces. Every artist has a weakness. Human faces is clearly his, but his cartoon art and fantastical forms are great.

#1217 3 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

I have no issues with his human faces.

I'm not saying you can't like them if I don't. Just that I look at a lot of hand drawn art, and his faces bother *me*. If you like them, that's fine, too.

#1232 3 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Lol, talk about ignorance. Just make s^#% up as you go.
ZY art examples from his website.

Look, I'm not saying he's bad with all faces in all poses, but he definitely has a problem with faces. Even in your example (which looks fine overall), he has her nose weird compared to her actual real-life nose. But that's a mild deviance. Depending on the face and the style, it can get worse - like Bill Murray on the backglass.

#1235 3 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Lol, talk about ignorance. Just make s^#% up as you go.
ZY art examples from his website.

Here. Using the one you provided with the real life pic it that clearly inspired it, you can clearly see the nose problem (the drawn one is more bulbous at the end, angled wrong left to right, and pointing down more abruptly). It's a small detail, but it throws off the image and is a common kind of problem in the faces I've seen of his. Things like the lips being thinner and a little wider can be chalked up to artistic license because they don't negatively affect the overall image, but the nose issue here messes up the geometry of the face, making a lesser positive impression than it should.

face-compare (resized).jpg

#1237 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

You're right. Paul Faris is a hack.

Sure, pick the two best examples from the DE era (I'm actually quite fond of Phantom's, especially), but there are WAY more bad DE art examples, like Star Wars, than good like Phantom. Data East has generally ugly/generic art on their playfields. IMO, of course.

#1240 3 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Batman looked nice, no?

Another Faris production, so it has a certain level of quality uncharacteristic of DE as a whole. Not my cup of tea, but not nearly as bad as DE's worst.

#1243 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Then why not mention the artists' name instead of painting the whole company with a broad brush. Faris did art for 7 DE machines and they all look very good. IMO, of course.

Because I didn't care to go pick out the artist names (which all seem to end in Faris now that I look) for the few I liked in the sea of bad DE art. It was a general statement (they DID have generally ugly art), not a line by line indictment.

#1269 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The one in BvS does...

He said Batman, not Benman.

#1270 3 years ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

It looks like there will be a batcopter toy. From Stern:

Looks like they're using the Hot Wheels batcopter. At the bottom of the page here:
http://www.rotaryaction.com/pages/batman1.html

And on Ebay:
ebay.com link » Hot Wheels Batman Batmobile Batcopter Penguins Duck Armoured Toys 1 50 Scale New

You probably could just pull out all the new hot wheels retro toys and get a good idea (batcopter, batmobile, batcycle, batboat, penguin's duck, etc) of a lot of what they'll use.

#1274 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern generally doesn't use off the shelf toys anymore - so, if that's a Hot Wheels toy, it's possible they're just teasing.

Given that this is a relatively quick turn, in conjunction with Ka-Pow, I wouldn't be surprised to see off-the-shelf toys decorating it to some extent.

#1289 3 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

More from Stern.

These badges give me a bad feeling about a BDK repurposed coffee can made into an octagon with one of these badges on each side, and they rotate into the front position for modes.

#1316 3 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Not sure about the staging but the artwork is fantastic. Colored wireforms? Wouldn't the balls scratch the paint off?

Doubtful. Keith Johnson disagrees, but I have done powdercoated ramps and wireforms on various machines and never had a problem. The oldest one is a Shadow where I powdercoated one stainless ramp black and the other dark blue. That was over 10 years ago and they still look perfect.

#1330 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I also thought it was Pinchroma rather than Keefer that was saying that for the ramps.

Haha, maybe I that up. Anyway "someone" had a differing opinion, but I've done ramps and habitrails, the oldest of which are over 10 years old now with continuous play and both types still look great. Now, maybe they were talking about TEXTURED ones, which I have no experience with, but would never try on ramps since it seems like asking for trouble.

#1382 3 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Hear something interesting. I was looking up a board I just bought on eBay and came across this. Look at the game listings. Batman 66 on the old system? Mistake on Marcos part? I thought LCD couldn't be used on the old system?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5246-00

Certainly gives weight to the initial idea that this is a re-skinned (maybe heavily, but still) BDK. SAM boards and all. It better be a LOT different if it is. BDK sucks - one of modern Stern's weakest efforts. My hype meter just deflated a little. Maybe Stern can put the Marco link on their facebook page. It'd be a more informative tease than the parade of hot wheels.

1 week later
#2256 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen
There will be NO Pro, as this is not one of the 3 cornerstone games we make each year.

We will begin manufacture of Limited Editions in November, following with Premiums for the rest of this year and more Premiums next year.

You will not receive a new model cornerstone game, with Pro, Premium and LE versions, until after the first of next year.
So there you have it

What were the three cornerstone games this year? Wasn't Ghostbusters the only "cornerstone" game announced in 2016 so far? GoT was announced and shipping in 2015. Are they doing the other two "cornerstone" pins in the last 3 months of the year?

#2266 3 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

I have an LE , what the worst thing that could happen ? I hate it, sell it for a small loss. How is that worse than what happened to all of the buyers of MM, MB , CC , ect that paid thousands of dollars more than the remakes. It's a hobby,
buy what trips your trigger.

Are you sure the loss will only be small? You're thinking of the hits. I think you'll be fine, but there are plenty of examples where pins that were supposed to do well didn't.

You really want to know the worst that could happen? WWE LE.

Boom. Mike drop.

#2272 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So Homepin is going to make great pinball for $4k-$5k and bury Stern and everybody else? rotflmao
Who does this sound like?
"Our goal and sole aim at Homepin is to get the machines finished and running - I don't like paperwork or accounting so that comes LAST as far as I am concerned! LOL."

I will say their website doesn't inspire much confidence.

#2273 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Historically Stern shows up with a new game at CES first week of January.

So that means only one "cornerstone" game, not three, for 2016 - Ghostbusters.

I have to think they'll try to make up by doing 4 in 2017/2018 to pick up the slack, or outright cut rumored pins that would probably be dogs like Aerosmith.

#2294 3 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Homepin on its own is not going to challenge Stern as a designer/builder of pins. But think of Homepin differently.
He has a factory in China and a complete supply chain put together from local (Chinese) suppliers with hardware that Homepin has designed. His first game will demonstrate his ability to use all of this to produce working games built entirely in his factory, with his hardware from his suppliers. If he were to partner with someone doing design and software and he did the manufacturing things could get quite interesting.

But if he can't manage to do even a passable website, it really doesn't instill much confidence in the rest of the operation. That website is borderline atrocious.

#2391 2 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

leaved SLE alt translite artwork !
Totally stoked
I hear the left side will have EL wire around the ramps, a drop target bank, and third flipper

I heard they were doing the Schumacher version.

schumacher_batman (resized).jpg

#2449 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You have a right to an opinion, and I'll back you up ...it's a terrible game.

Such a shame, too. A license bursting with potential that fell so flat.

#2472 2 years ago
Quoted from c508:

I like the guys, but think Catwoman could look better... Kinda "jowly" in that drawing

For once I have no complaints. Looking very nice.

#2502 2 years ago
Quoted from erak:

So the art is exact copies of the model kits. Maybe cleaned up a bit. or colors corrected.
Not to rain on your parade but that's Photoshop.
It's still awesome. But it's still photoshop.
Or at least Adobe creative.

Definitely photoshopped. I was going to put together a mockup from the pieces, but Riddler's hand doesn't match up unless you cut it off and move it up behind Penguin. It looks fine put together, but if you take the art from the model sets, they don't line up unless you move body parts around in certain spots.

Still, looks nice.

#2533 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Doesn't look photochop'd to me.. looks like redrawn in the same styles. There are differences like the head tilt is different relative to the hat.. hat different.. elements on the skin are different, etc.

I overlaid it when I was going to mock it up from the little preview squares. It's essentially the same art with minor variations like Riddler's hand being moved, and riddler's body rotated a little to the right. Definitely a photoshop job on existing art, then enhanced.

I do like the art, though.

#2575 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Definitely photoshopped. I was going to put together a mockup from the pieces, but Riddler's hand doesn't match up unless you cut it off and move it up behind Penguin. It looks fine put together, but if you take the art from the model sets, they don't line up unless you move body parts around in certain spots.
Still, looks nice.

Actually, after playing with it a little more, Riddler is problematic on his right AND left hand and arm, so maybe this was partially redrawn to different proportions. His arms aren't CLOSE to matching up with the existing model art.

#2630 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Are you proposing that there are material differences between the two or just pointing out that they arent 100% identical?

There are very slight differences in proportions and major differences in arm placement on the Riddler and Catwoman, specifically. It's definitely the toy box art at the core, but there were changes. They could have been achieved with cutting and pasting limbs in Photoshop, or by redrawing parts of the art. It IS different.

#2631 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Listen to this cut by Lori Wilshire. We all know Lori can sing, so it's not like she's using Autotune to **fix** some inability. Listen for a downtuned snare. Listen for gated kick. Listen for soaring, lush backing vocals. Listen to the super compressed dynamic range of the guitar, it puts it right up front. Listen for pitch shifting in the lead vocal 2nd verse (hear the "Marcy Gray" effect?). An all around amazing production.
Better music through technology......
» YouTube video

Marcy Gray? Is that Macy Gray's retarded sister?

#2687 2 years ago

I dunno, with the relative height of the Riddler, it probably would have to be on the backglass if the arrangement the squares were teased from is used, otherwise it'd have to be too far back on the side to give Riddler the relative headroom needed.

mockup-side-bm66 (resized).jpg

#2688 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

At least she was skinny enough to slide down a pole.......

Those Schumacher costumes are so atrocious.

1 week later
#3343 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I ordered some of those Omaha steaks once. Never had tried them before.

And they're STILL calling you trying to sell more irradiated meat.

#3370 2 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I prefer this catwoman: amazon.com link »

The face on this one isn't even close compared to the hallmark one. Might as well be Barbie Catwoman.

#3624 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, this relentless drip is punishing, I'm already tired of the theme and I haven't even seen it. I can only imagine how Alien pre-order people have felt, like 20x worse. Dropping games as pure surprises is definitely the way to go.

When is Alien supposed to ship? This year?

#4324 2 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

No. Much of the game has been changed. New ramp on the left, stupid Joker can removed, replaced with rotating gadgets and LCD screen.
We'll find out more when flyer is released.

Aside from the reskin and removal of the teeter totter, seems like a moderate BDK reskin. What does the crane have to do with any of the vintage batman episodes? Nothing. It was the best (only?) liked feature of BDK, but that's it. Sticks out like a sore thumb on a Batman '66 theme.

#4421 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's new(ish)
Seriously, between the physical changes, the tone of the music & callouts, and whatever Lyman's cooking up with the code - it's going to feel 100% new.

It better, because BDK felt stale on release.

1 week later
#5125 2 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

My distributor said they will start picking up on Metallica once they get caught up with Ghostbusters so I think I may go back to my original plan and make my fourth a Metallica. Now that I've got a grip on the levels etc. I'm perfectly fine with PRO'S as you can see my line up are all PRO'S, I love them and play them everyday don't really notice that much of a difference other than toys and art at not worth the price different. I have now figured out that I rather have a variety of titles than dump a bunch of dough into a few. I read about the dissatisfied folks on the KISS game but even without a KISS update it's a fun game and I'm sure what have will keep me occupied for a while.

Metallica RGB color for the GI and many of the inserts makes a big difference in play. Cool things like the playfield going blue-ish when Seek and Destroy starts, or everything going red in some of the multiballs. The RGB lighting makes at least a Premium a must for Metallica. The Pro is boring by comparison.

#5139 2 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

Other than the lighting is there anything else that's different? I have been told a mod'd pro with the lighting is a better way to go. Does it play different?

Modding a pro might get you close to the lightshow, but your resale will take a hit because a modded pro is in the less than category vs a Premium.

Lightshow is FAR better on a Premium than a pro, and it updates when they update the firmware. The Hammer/Coffin (see thru coffin you load vs white insert that does nothing on the pro-and no hammer, either). Snake jaw opens and closes, vs stationary on pro. Hit snake to open jaw, hit again to put ball in. I also prefer the art on the backglass of the Premium Monsters vs the Pro. You can get a Premium new for $6700 delivered and have all the features and none of the hassle of trying to make a Pro that's a kind of shadow of the Premium. I've played both extensively and the Pro is weak on Metallica. The overall experience on a Premium is much better.

#5172 2 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

When are they going to release the game play?

As close as possible to the machine coming out so people can't confirm that it's using re-purposed, slightly edited yet still dull BDK rules.

#5252 2 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

BM66 isnt even out yet & the game has run it course.
That's why this thread is now about pizza, politics, philosophy & Stern's 2017 lineup.

Once the truth was out that it WAS a light BDK reskin, the hype train crashed (especially at the asking prices).

#5337 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

What exactly are the differences on the playfield between the three? Other than the cars on the SLE, I can't see anything.

Powdercoating on the habitrails. Gold dust sprinkled in the clearcoat.

#5382 2 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

I'd like to start a Kickstarter fund towards my next pinball machine if anyone is interested. In return I'll give a full review of the game. Lol.

Indiegogo is more suited to this kind of self-interested campaign.

1 week later
#5592 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

- Almost a month later, still waiting to see the machine playing!

Apparently, at Expo, it played pretty much the same as BDK, from the one person who saw it played by a kid.

#5595 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm willing to bet that this game will be quite different in the end. I don't think that they will go the lazy route or screw this up. I'm expecting a great game on regards to code.

Really? The layout is already really close to BDK. It's closer to a BDK vault edition than a completely new game. Pretty lazy since it saved them a ton of time engineering new shots on a different layout. The differences between Premium/LE/Super LE are pretty small considering the starting price and price jumps. That seems lazy, too. I hope I'm completely wrong because I sincerely hate the borefest of BDK, and if this is a BDK derivative in the end, it will have ruined a nostalgia pin I would like to have one day.

1 week later
#5700 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

No Batman at IAAPA because Stern/Lyman did not want to show a game with early software. This is a show for selling completed products.
On the other hand I remember JJP showing a half dozen WOZ with zero game software at IAAPA. It was just a box of lights in attract mode with flippers that flipped and most in the amusement industry were clueless too the fact.

Well, "Dec" in their "Dec/Jan" delivery estimate for BM'66 is only 2 weeks away. Pretty bad if they don't even have enough BDK code disguised to show it in a basic form yet, but their delivery estimate for their machine is next month.

#5752 2 years ago
Quoted from gibsonrd:

I for one am cool with putting 50 cents into one I come across and saving $14,999.50 on laughing on why anyone would give their money to a sub-par company like Stern.

50 cents? You'll be LUCKY to find one on route for $1/play.

#5754 2 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

You're insane- no offense.

The layout is much closer to BDK than not at this point, despite them insisting it was a completely new game before the playfield reveal (which showed it's clearly not an all-new layout). We'll have to see if they started with all-new rules or just appropriated the BDK rules, too. The fact that they haven't even shown a partially working game yet, despite shipping supposedly in mere weeks, makes me think BM'66 will have a clear base of BDK code.

#5761 2 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

It's funny how so many are focusing on production costs only and don't take R&D into account. Building new things is expensive. Remember how it looked like JJP would go under while developing TH? Eventually they secured a loan/investment to continue operations. If the market allows Stern to make more money, they would be crazy not to! It's not going to make them rich though, regardless how much they ask for these machines.

I could buy this if BM'66 wasn't a significantly repurposed BDK playfield with (probably) repurposed code, too. It was not a ground-up effort. Also, The Hobbit is not a somewhat reskinned WoZ. The R&D comparison cannot be made.

#5763 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Chances are code is going to be completely new ( new OS) as that was conveyed. I've seen / played BTDK, and while playfiled is laid out the same and crane still there, I can say the machines look nothing alike from an art standpoint, definitely not even close to a reskin...this is a redo, and looks great. Makes a BIG difference.
LOTS of opportunities for Stern to make this a great machine...we will see.

Hoping you're right, fearing you're wrong.

#5767 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Have Stern mentioned or has anyone in the "know" heard if Stern plan on sorting out the placement of the ramp flaps over Catwoman's face?

Given Stern's general attention to detail, I'm sure they're sharing a huge laugh over this request.

#5787 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I am sure I read somewhere or heard it on a video a guy ask about it directly to George and his response was yeah that wont be rolling into production games we will have that corrected. I just cant seem to find the page or video I thought I remembered seeing/hearing it, maybe it was one of the initial reveal/tour videos, I will watch through them later.

Then again, Steve said they were fixing the Game of Thrones orbit. After a long time, they just disabled it in software. Mis-spelled insert also made it into early production units on Ghostbusters, even though that was supposed to be fixed.

Stern is a "believe it when you see it" company these days.

#5827 2 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

I understand you old farts and the nostalgia factor, but was this Batman TV show even any good?
I remember flipping past the daytime re-runs and thinking that Batman looked a little bit, how you would say, "light in the loafers" and that a strong breeze would probably knock him over.

The show constantly made fun of itself.

#5859 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Haha well I did offer!
Watch for the following Star Wars SuperLEs ...
100x Luke Skywalkers
100x Darth Vaders
100x Hans Solos
Possibly
That's 300x $15,000 = $4,500,000 ... and you watch them fly out the door.
That's just a wild guess. But you see those numbers, and you'd be doing it too.
rd

Well, next year's the Star Wars 40th anniversary, so probably 40 of something.

#5861 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Ahhhhh true!
40 Luke Skywalkers at $20,000 instead.
rd

$19770

#6017 2 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Apparently there is a echo effect in the top right corner of the game... because there is NOTHING THERE!

Pfft! Clearly that's BatInvisibility technology on display.

#6027 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Didn't Ritchie design GoT with the pro first and then add the mini playfield? Not sure if I've heard confirmation on that, but that's what I've heard. I think every designer does things a little differently.

That would at least partially explain the left orbit fiasco in the Prem/LE.

1 week later
#6198 2 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Correct me if I am wrong but the STLEs came in mid to late December in 2013, I got mine 12/19/2013 and Game of Thrones LE came late December 2015, I got mine December 30, 2015. Weren't clear window AC/DC premiums released before Christmas 2012? It would be consistent with the previous LE releases to see the Batman 66LE this December. Similar to many companies, I suspect the majority of the work gets done that has been delayed so everyone can go on a long, enjoyable Christmas Vacation with family and friends knowing they just slammed out 240 beautiful Batman66 LEs for families across the World to be happy for it. I love the anticipation.....its Christmas for crypes sake.

SLEs are supposed to be delivered by Christmas. IF the LEs are still coming before the SLEs, that would mean only the Premiums are post-Christmas.

#6207 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Hmmm, looks like an SLE but no Adam West signature on the card?

They stamp those on at the next station.

#6208 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Looks like the ramp flap is still covering catwoman on the final playfield.

Where was this pic from?

#6209 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Apparently code isn't up to par to show the game quite yet. It's understandable, I guess. I do wonder if they're ship with skeleton code or delay shipping until a full 1.0 release code is ready to go.

Supposedly SLEs are being delivered by Christmas. That's only two weeks away...

#6269 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

its worse outside the US with the exchange rate not so good. I was going for an SLE but the exchange rate moved in a way that just made it insane and a absolute loss in the future, not that concerns me (being a car nut!), but the value of it just wasn't there, thankfully my dealer made me see the sense it it too I'm looking forward to the LE though - and I think this game is going to rock.
Neil.

Has Stern said how many of the 80 SLEs are going overseas?

#6465 2 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

New Stern FB vid shows work being done on BM66

Yeah, looks like all overseas LE and SLEs. Hopefully that means domestic is on the line next week.

#6471 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

I thought I saw some premiums too.

Probably. I wasn't watching that closely. It's probably all overseas stuff to get them on a boat.

#6485 2 years ago

That SLE certificate at ~16 minutes is weird. It says "Batman Pinball Number __Year 2015___ of 50 Super Limited Edition production originals..."

I don't know why they wrote in "Year 2015" for the number of the SLE. Shouldn't it be a number from 1-50, so it reads "Number xx of 50..."? Then the SLE plate can have the actual year of "that" SLE, like they seem to be doing. That way the certificate makes sense, and so does the SLE plate.

#6535 2 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

With the LE getting the side blades, what sets the SLE apart again from the LE? Aside from the privilege to pay $5K more?

The SLE cabinet is printed on reflective foil, kind of like a super version of the KISS LE cabinets (someone said it was embossed, too, but I can't tell from video). You can kind of see the reflective effect in the video on facebook when they pan up the head with Robin. Also, the side rails and lockdown bars are textured and have a metal flake in them so they glitter, and the side rails are custom "batwing" shaped. Speakers and grills are upgraded and comes with a shaker motor.

#6542 2 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

All this is on both the LE & SLE, just that the SLE additionally has pin striping on the lockbar & siderails. The speaker grills have the lighted bat signs on the SLE. Both have a shaker.

Wrong. At least according to the feature matrix the SLE cabinet is the only one with "hyper chrome embossed art" and the Jensen upgraded speakers - LE and Premium don't have that.

#6543 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

SLE was also supposed to get a personalized phone message from adam west. Not sure if its integrated in gameplay or not though.

Like a batphone message in-game? That would be weird.

#6640 2 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I really appreciate that game play video. The sounds, video and theme immersion are awesome so far! I was a bit disappointed in how the phone on the playfield looked until I saw it lit up brightly during the hurry up mode. I'm happy with what I see so far. It'll now come down to how it feels to make the shots and how interactive the villains' involvement seems.

High score and match bits are amongst the best I've ever seen for theme integration and creativity. Cracked me up.

#6651 2 years ago

Apparently 2016 is also the 50th anniversary of the "Jingle Bells, Batman smells..." schoolyard song. Interesting article on the provenance of the song and how it spread so rapidly:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-jokers-still-getting-away-celebrating-50-years-of-jingle-bells-batman-smells-233532830.html

It would be fantastic to have this jingle hidden in the Batman '66 pin somewhere. Midnight Madness? When you TILT? Schoolyard multiball? The possibilities are endless...

#6665 2 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

a great book
how could he do this without kickstarter
@Stern needs the money from them

Great picture book, maybe, but seems to be light on actual information. From Amazon reviews:

"What I did not get was detailed information on each (or hardly any, for that matter) of the games. The author spent 80% of his effort tracking down the designers, programmers and sound guys. This is all very interesting, but each one is asked the same question: "Tell me how you got into the pinball biz." Each one has the same story: "I was in college and loved to play pinball. I sent Williams (Bally, Sega, etc.) a letter asking for a job. Whattaya know, they hired me. I worked on lots of cool games--it was the best time of my life!" Man, this gets old after the first twenty such stories! I loved hearing about these guys (at least at first), but this format is amateurish and shows a lack of imagination by the author. Ask a different question, perhaps?"

#6682 2 years ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

For the AZ guys:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/promotions/free-stuff/a-tilt-studio-prize-package-8925031
Looks like there will be another Super on location, great stuff!

Too bad they don't have a Super LE pictured in that flyer.

1 week later
#6972 2 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

There is a SLE B66 on site atTime zone in Brisbane.

Haha! I was thinking "I don't know about an arcade named Time Zone in Brisbane..." - then I saw your location and realized you weren't talking about Brisbane, CA, USA!

#6992 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

So for the SLE, is it just the headphone jack in the coin door? What about external volume control? Maybe they didn't include that in case it goes on location.

They used the dollar bill acceptor slot, so that's going away if it's put on location anyway to make room for a DBA. Won't matter.

#6999 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I started a thread on how to modify the Stern used Batsignal Toy into a more TV specific Batman 66 version. check it out here:

Weird that with a full-retro emphasis, they went with the modern logo. Unless they were just too lazy to get the toy insert right...

#7003 2 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

Are toppers being shipped separately and at a later date? Noticing all of the SLE's and LE's delivered do not have the topper. Apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered in another thread. Thanks!

Yeah, they're shipping the toppers UPS.

#7007 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

have any shipped yet? Anybody have one? just curious.....

Someone picked theirs up at the factory. I haven't seen any "shipped" ones arriving, though.

#7068 2 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Did not get the topper with my game.
How does one get the topper. Will it just show up on my doorstep. Will I be contacted by my distributor? Is there something I need to do?

They're sending them separately via UPS.

1 week later
#7099 2 years ago

Even on Batman .65, the lazy susan in this game is still a mess. Had a situation tonight where it was telling me to go for the batphone, but it was in back and inaccessible.

Also had the one where a ball gets trapped and it does a ball search, releasing the balls in lock, and as soon as one of them exits, the PF goes dead (because you "lost" your ball) and that ball's done.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside