PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Flyer announcing Batman 66 Posted by GAP (7 years ago)

Post #4163 Photo of the Batman 66 playfield via Stern Posted by dmbjunky (7 years ago)

Post #4193 Photos of the SLE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (7 years ago)

Post #4194 Photo of LE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (7 years ago)

Post #4264 Clear photo of the entire SLE Posted by DCFAN (7 years ago)

Post #4449 Video from the Stern tour at Expo 2016 Posted by KingBW (7 years ago)

Post #4974 Batman 66 Product and Feature Matrix Posted by KLR2014 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider simonbaird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#124 7 years ago

Certainly some interesting info coming out. I think the development of this game is all over the place. If you look at the rumour mill a while back, there was a lot of talk about TDK being the next VE. This was before the Batman 66 license would of been up for grabs. Then all of a sudden STERN is doing a joint collaboration with Ka-pow pinball. Joe & Eugene from Ka-pow have a great history in game design across pinball and video games. They also have the funds to acquire a license such as Batman 66. It much more likely they approached STERN with the license and probably a game layout, and STERN then decided to kill two birds with one stone by switching the TDK VE to a whole new game. The fact they mention the Crane and New Interactive Toys, plus Gomez & Lyman means that the TDK bones are going to be in this game.

As far as pricing goes, Im not surprised, this is similar to Whizbang collaboration with STERN, it not a pure STERN designed and produced game, so the revenue pie has to sliced up even more. This does not spell the end of Pro models for STERN, you will see future games with Pro models at the MSRP $5495, however there might not be as heavy discounting from distributors as in the past, hence why STERN has been so strict on distributors not posting prices. With the prices of LCD's now days, I think the actual BOM for an LCD Stern would be the same or cheaper then a Dot-matrix display. There might be a little more programming costs but nothing over the top.

It would seem that Gary is finally letting go of his fixation with operators and starting to really focus on the home collector market. Batman 66 - Whoa Nellie - Spiderman Ve all seem squarely positioned towards the home collector rather then operators. Maybe the new norm for STERN will be releasing 2 core games a year plus 2-3 VE/Collaboration games. I also get the feeling that maybe with the new Spike & Spike 2 system, designing and manufacturing games is getting easier for STERN allowing for more boutique limited runs. This could be a great thing for the industry, as others have mentioned there are a lot of themes that might not have the appeal to sell thousands of units or attract operators, that would still sell 500+ tables to collectors at premium price points.

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Not as long as all those people keep shooting for the stars in terms of what is the tipping point in what the market will bear.
Spooky is the dark horse IMO.. they are operating as 'the everyman game company' and held back only by their ambition to stick to manageable growth. What happens if the next spooky title were some season'd vet and aimed for a 1500 game run.. that would turn some heads.
Spooky is the only one nipping at Stern's heels IMO.. CGC will just be a drain on the market and Heighway needs to make some desirable games before they become a shaker. Maybe that will come yet.. but Spooky is further along IMO.

spooky needs to bring in some outside design talent. Charlie and Ben are great guys, but you need someone with talent that's designed dozens of games to come up with a table that really captures the market. Spooky has been relying on the limited Le feature of their tables rather then the providing a blow away game experience. Stern has the talent and the commitment to providing a great gaming experience. JJP could certainly mix things up, with Pats game particularly if it standard body, which I belive it is. I have a feeling this will deliver the classic Bally/Williams vibe updated to 2016.

#252 7 years ago

Anyone got any thoughts on "LCD replacing the dot matrix display" which way do you think Stern will go? Dutch pinball with sega size display, showing a more traditional pixilated image? JJP with full LCD? Personally my pick is for a Dutch style display, might be a bit old school but I think it more of an evolution of the traditional dot matrix, were as JJP display is a totally different direction. Might need to start a poll on this one.

1 week later
#1264 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

... less than three months to pull this game together by November. It is going to need a full-court press coding effort to create something that feels complete. This one is also expected to look all wow and pizzazz design-wise too. Lyman is probably holed up somewhere with a small group of people in an peyote sweat lodge, hallucinating ideas for modes and code. Only way for him to get this across the goal line is to build a roadmap of where they are going, and to divide the work into pieces for additional coders to tackle. Fingers crossed he writes it down. Maybe he already has this figured out, but I get a vibe that while Stern has been working on the licensing requirements for awhile, that this project was just green lighted for design. Presumably not much time had been invested to date.
So the clock is ticking. Will Stern design and build a complete production ready Batman66 pin by Nov 30? Will BM66 turn out to be a real looker? Tune in tomorrow folks. Same Bat time. Same Bat channel.

The way George was talking on Coast to Coast, I would say they have a working whitewood and the game is quite away along. He was discussing combo shots, and more importantly the way hits to the crane caused bounces into other shots. I don't think these sort of details could of come if they weren't playing a fully populated whitewood. For all Sterns issues, there is no doubt they are a very well oiled machine, when it comes to putting together a game. Mostly because they have such experienced a professional employees, with a real passion for what they do. George didn't try to hide away when Nate asked if there would be a flippable Batman at expo, rather he seemed really confident in his reply, only saying unless the game still needed polish. The code might be a little lacking, but there will be a game to play at expo is my bet. Stripped down code is not a major for expo, as most players are only going to get to spend 10 minutes or so with the game in total, as the line will be out the door. As long as the sound, animation, and art are fully realised, and a detailed ruleset described, I think most people will cut Stern a break if the actual implemented rules are not quite there for expo.

On a side note, in Australia we have Pinfest 24-25 September which is probably the biggest pinball comp/show in OZ. They announced about 6 weeks ago that there would be "big news from Stern" which no doubt will be some sort of reveal of Batman 66. Not saying there will be a machine at the show as this won't happen, but would not be surprised to see some sort of presentation with photos etc..

1 week later
#1948 7 years ago

The pricing reflects what the market is willing to pay, however it is still a relatively small market, in terms of volume. Stern is not turning into a boutique high end producer anytime soon. Regardless of how big the margin is on a $15k or even 10k pin the overall profit pales compared to the volume they sell with their 5k pros. Stern has taken this root with batman 66 because let's be completely honest here, and maybe I'm reading this wrong as an Australian buyer, but seriously batman 66 does not have anywhere near the fan base or relevance of gb or GOT or even TWD. They have created a super high priced limited run product because that is what the license ditacted. There is no pro model because frankly there is such a limited demand for this title that there is no market for a pro. Operators would not be lining up to purchase pro batman 66 nor would the majority of HUO buyers. They know they would only sell a thousand or so machine regardless, so why not milk every cent they can from those thousand buyers. You may see this happen in the future with license that have dedicated but niche fan bases. If this is the case then that is great for the hobby and for people that want to own their grail theme. However when it comes to massive themes with proper appeal I.e Starwars there is no way Stern is going to loose 3-4-5 thousand pro sales by over pricing. The income and profit they make on those pro sales still far outstrips the money they make on Le or even super Le machines by factors of 100s. Do you really think stern could survive if they only sold 500 or so of every new title? Hell no, not even at 10k a machine. This is a big company with major overheads that has just moved into a new larger manufacturing facility, they are not going botique anytime soon.

The deal is that stern has probably been under pricing there main product line being Pro models for a couple of years, as they where still in survival mode mentality. So yes the new pro price will probably be 6k going forward, however you should get a lot more for your money as far as feature and toys go I.e GB. The high priced Le's are just Stern taking money thats sitting on the table. All the whinging regarding these systems come from people who see these as collectible investments or money making oppertunities. For fuck sake do you think guys that pay 15K or even 10k for a pinball machine are buying them as an investment or give a shit about the resale value. This is disposable money they have and choose to spend it on something they percive will give them enjoyment and fun. Most of the people bitching about not being able to own a 10k Stern are in fact liers, almost everyone that makes this comment would have multiple pinball machines in their collection with a combined worth well in excess of 10k. So yes you could afford a 10k or even a 15k machine but it would mean selling other tables which is not something you are prepared to do , hey me neither, so who give a shit. However all of us have a grail theme that might have a very narrow limited appeal, that means enough for us to trade 2-3 of our collection to own. That what batman 66 is.

I had to laugh listening to the latest podcast from he who must not be named today bitching and crying about the batman 66 pricing, the guy makes fun and ridiculed everyone else on this site that has a complaint then spends 30minutes crying over super Le prices. You know why, because he realised hey I can't make money on buying a 10k limited edition batman like He originally key planed. He also goes onto say that he would jump at the oppertunity to buy a batman Super Le if he hot the chance. The only reason? Because he know he could flip it for more money down the line, for fuck sake it makes me shake my head, this hobby is meant to be about having fun and playing games guys. Guess what PINBALL is not a designed to make you money, STERN is not in the business of making you money. If you spend 10k or 5k on a new toy for your home, be prepared to loose 20 or 30% of the value when you come to sell in the future and yes be happy it is only such a small percentage. The whole market has been totally skewed in the last 5 years when people think that they should be able to buy a pinball machine and then sell it for more then they paid a year or two later. This is not normal in ANY hobby and you know what it just destroys the whole fundementals of the hobby for everyone. Yes a game from 20 years ago might be worth more now then it was nib but that's 20 years of accumulated worth and rarity. Someone trying to sell their orginal Spider-Man or POTC or SPP for thousands more then they paid less then 5 years ago and thinks this is the norm, is delusional if they belive this will be the status quo forever. Bally williams went under that is why classic tables are worth more now then 20 years ago, it's like when an artist dies and his works sky rocket. Buying a new stern is not the same deal.

My advice is don't worry so much 90% of the people having a go in this thread really couldn't give two shits about batman 66 as a theme regardless of the price point and the other 10% either have enough money not to worry or are die hard fans. Really every ones a winner baby that's the truth.

#1954 7 years ago

The pro model is no longer going to be in the mid 4's this is not a price point that makes sense for Stern, it is not because they are being greedy, when pins where in this price range a few years back STern was on life support. That is what companies do in really tough times they survive, however if 4.5k was stern surviving then hell 6k is not so bad Hardly what I call price gouging. Sucks for us the buyer but that is just life you can't afford everything you want.

I did say that as an Australia, I don't see the appeal of batman 66 as a theme, I think you will find this to be the case with many overseas markets. Not knocking it at all but, it not really Batman as many people know the character. I stand by my comment, if there was a batman 66 pro it would sell maybe 25% of GB or other big title themes such as Starwars.

Quoted from pinmister:

I disagree with this statement. With the LCD and a new layout and what I consider to be the funnest toy in pinball-"The Crane." The Pro model if priced in the mid 4's would have been very successful. Batman in general is huge and the nostalgic Batman series is well known. I think it would be a top earner at many locations for operators with the attraction of Batman and the new LCD.

#2194 7 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

Hopefully Homepin can get mass production on line and put some price pressure on them.

Homepin can really put pressure on especially once they have their core component manufacturing completed. I would say they would be aiming for less then 5000usd maybe even as low as 4000usd. However I still think that for companies such as homepin or even spooky to really take it to stern they need to have a strong design and programming team in place. I belive homepin will be able to get the manufacturing side right, they are already shipping multiple containers of cocktail tables a month, so they know how to get product out the door. However one of the main reason stern is so popular is they have great designs in Borg,Ritchie , Treaudu plus some amazing programmers such as Lyman. Just like with the golden days of Williams/Bally, the really key is game design and rules. If these companies only try and develop games with their own in house design teams, then unless they have the next undiscovered Lawlor or Ritchie working for them, there is a good chance the games won't threaten Stern. We hear a lot of people say "making pinball is hard" maybe they should also say "designing and coding pinball is hard".

#2307 7 years ago

I will hold judgement on Sterns pricing untill their next release, it's still to early to determine if the Batman 66 is just a one off hike or if future Pro/premium/Le will now be all priced $2k more. If the latter is true the biggest losers are the playing public and operators. Pinball is not exactly the best option for operators now against cheaper, higher earning claw machines and the like. Add a couple of grand to the outlay and I can see even the most pin friendly operators ditching stern and either dropping pinball altogether or going back to b/w titles, which will take similar earnings at far lower capital investment. If this turns out to be the case then it is a really shame for the hobby as a whole. Location pinball is still a lot more fun then having your own arcade at home. I have 5 games in the collection and still go out to our local arcade a couple of times a week, because it's a much more social and engaging way to enjoy pinball.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if this pricing is the new norm for stern. With the US dollar being so strong lately, many collectors around the world have already being paying north of 12k for nib Le sterns. My guess would be that the American market is easily bigger enough to handle 250 or more 10k limited edition sterns if the theme and game are appealing. So by selling at 8k Stern has been leaving money on the table. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Stern had priced GB le at close to 15k they would of still probably sold out. The most price sensitive market is going to be the premiums and pro buyers, Stern will need to tread a lot more carefully with future titles to avoid loosing volume in this market. I think premium sales in particular have been a good high margin source of income for stern over the last couple of years, so maybe the batman pricing is a one off and they will rein in the prices on future releases.

#2792 7 years ago

I think the non-refund has more to do with the meet and greet. Stern only wants actual buyers/owners at the meet and greet. It like they really trying to create a special club of limited owners. It may also be an effort to try eliminate the speculators and flippers, at 10k for an le the machine would have to be spectacular to have any upwards price movement, so I think the price alone would of eliminated the flipper market. To me it's kinda of a BS move making deposits non-refundable before the reveal, but as many have already said, this machine is a unique release and does not necessarily reflect Sterns policy moving forward. I think the quicker they get to releasing their next table the better, so everyone can stop speculating on future pricing and purchase policy and see if things return back to "normal".

3 months later
#6988 7 years ago

One of our local locations just had a Batman SLE arrive and setup today, so I thought I would repost my first impression I just put up on Aussiearcade.

ART

Its a great looking game. The cabinet art particularly really is gorgeous. The LED is well integrated and the size works perfectly. The speakers and trim really tie the look together. The topper wasn't installed and might be shipping later based on what overseas owners have been saying. I think the topper will really make the package whole and I'm usually not fussed on toppers.
The play field is a little lacklustre compared to what we have seen from Zombie Yetti on GB or Dirty Donny on MET & yesterdays AS reveal. There is a big difference to having a single artist layout an entire package. Here the play field has a photoshopped feel. Yes there are great renderings of the main villains etc.. however they are cut and pasted into the overall background and its not as cohesive.

Play field
The play field feels a little flat next to other modern games. The ramps are pretty shallow and so you loose the sense of depth compared to say GB main Ramp or KISS love gun ramp.
Its a pretty typical Fan layout, although the left orbit feeds to a saucer, which acts as the mystery/extra-ball/TV scoop, rather then looping round, which blocks the flow a bit. Similar to the fish finder shot in FT. You need to hit the shot well to make it all the way round to this saucer, which adds a little tension when going for the shot. However the left orbit entrance is pretty open and usually quite make able. The saucer has a soft kick which feeds into the pops.

There is another saucer under the crane which acts as the penguin hole as well as the last shot needed to complete each main villain. Its a little awkward and does reject occasionally. Also it looks like you should be able to backhand it, but it never quite seemed to make it, always bouncing slightly off to the left. If it was a standard scoop, I think you could backhand. There is a nice little mini horseshoe with spinner that feeds into the same saucer just left of the crane, which is a surprising nice shot. Occasionally you will also get bounce in as the ball exits the pops. The kick out from this saucer is soft and doesn't put the ball at risk. The area of the play field also has a Governor Gordan multiple standup which I think adds multipliers to the play field. There is a lot of kick off if you hit the target cleanly which adds a little more risk as it should.

As I mentioned early the ramps are a little underwhelming, They feel nice and smooth and the balls zips through them cleanly to the corresponding flipper. However they are very safe shots due to their height if the ball is hot even semi clean, it will make the ramp. The RHS ramp can be backhanded with no issues. Due to the lack of height you won't get an easy hop over to the other flipper from either ramp so they not really any good for transferring the ball between flippers, although post passes are a super easy so not really an issue.

The gadget stand ups on the left are pretty much the same as green goblin on Spiderman VE, although due to the way the ball moves around the table they get hit fairly frequently. Got the gadget activated regularly, which lights the lockdown bar button to activate the gadget. Couldn't tell at this point if the gadgets have been coded in, however my guess based on gadgets being a major component of the show, the gadget function will end up being a lot more nuanced them simply shot bombs.

The T.V stands on the right where by far the hardest shot in the game, probably harder then the drop targets on TWD, the lower target is a bitch. I see them playing a major role in the game as code progresses.Right now lighting all three activates the T.V insert on the left orbit, making the shot to the saucer lets you choose a sub villain.Sub Villains are based off the three seasons, I'm guessing you have to activate the stand ups multiple times to unlock each season, not sure if this is per ball or if they carry over. The sub villains again will be an excellent feature when coded right.At the moment could not really tell what effect they where having on the game.

The crane is a great toy and I would like to see it used more often in the game, which I'm sure it will. Bringing it into play say as a super jackpot shot in multi ball or as a hurry up could be fun. It can be a dangerous shot in certain positions, but that the idea. Registered perfectly every hit (has to be a direct hit from the front of the ball) no issues like with slimmer on GB.

The pops are pretty standard, although one excellent feature is the use of the back plate to highlight the rollover lanes. Each lane has a corresponding bat signal which is lit just above the feed on the back plate. Works well and I can see it be used in the future. Not sure why it hasn't been used more often. The skill shot feeding to the bumpers is so so. and worth very little. Basically the shooter lane has three arrows inserts that work like mini star rollovers. When you plunge the the arrows that the ball rolls over will light a corresponding but signal at the in lanes to the bumpers. Time it so you get all three arrows and all bat signals are lit at the pops, so any lane will give the skill shot. The signals at the pops can not be cycled when skill shot mode is active. You can shoot the ball by pressing the lockdown bar button. Overall it sounds better and more nuanced then it really is. With such low rewards (a million for skin shot) I never much bothered and just fired whenever.

Thats pretty much the whole play field, expect for the TOY. Okay this doesn't really need caps as it is a much better concept then it is in practice. A lot of time and energy has gone into the spinning platform and its cool, but the speed of the spin and the fact that ever shot is still pretty much the same to this area means that it falls a little short. The magnet in front of the platform is quite weak compared to say the monger in IM or The prison magnet in TWD. Shots can brick off the standup for the phone and T.V so be careful when going for these. You going to be hitting this area a lot. The phone is used to start main villains after their corresponding shots have been completed and is a countdown, which does bring a lot of needed tension. The T.V has two stand ups to activate the lock (RHS orbit) these can be stacked so after a while playing you will find you automatically have all three locks lit. The last wedge of the platform houses the spinning batmobile. Its a fun shot but can cause ball hangups and ball search (twice in all the games a played) these searches take a longtime as the platform has to keep rotating until the spinner releases the ball.
The platform also holds the balls you have locked and releases them at multi ball. Not much fanfare here they sort of just trickle out onto the table. The platform also acts as the shot to activate Joker, any shot here will light a joker letter. Overall its a cool toy/feature and is an innovating way to make use of limited space on the play field. However it does need some tweaking.

CODE

Okay this is way to early to judge. From what I have read and heard on podcasts, Batman was rushed out to meet the end of 2016 and the 50 year anniversary, it was originally scheduled for after Aerosmith but things where swapped around. I have no doubt that Lyman will make the code into a master piece. There are all the elements for some really interesting rules and objectives, I would not be surprised if this game ends up owning it with code. I can just see the potential with the Sub-Villian/Gadgets etc... Its like it is all there laid out waiting for his magic, much more so the TWD or MET where Lyman sort of came in later in the game. Here he was directly involved with the design process, layout and inserts, I have no doubt he has a vision for this game and is probably pretty bummed it has been released so early, just the vibe I got from watching the Dead flip stream. As of now the code is super bare and not intuitive at all. The shot inserts seem to be used for multiple modes at once with no clear direction to draw the players focus. The sub-villains have no clear impact on the game, same with the gadget belt. Multi ball is a joke, all main shots are continuously lit and active for jackpot as long as two or more balls are in play thats it. In fact I had no real desire to make multi ball after the first couple of times. There are no mini multi balls are any sort of fanfare from completing main villains. There are combos and a see these being an important component moving forward, couldn't tell exactly how the stack as did not have enough games yet, will focus on them a bit more in the coming days when I get to explore the table a further. All of the above is pretty much a non starter as this is a game that will get amazing code and for now it works as an intro to the table. Hell its .056 at the moment so a longways to go. I won't speculate on the timeframe for code updates etc.. however expect it to take some time and a lot of updates until things start really moving.

LCD

Dots are dead. Its gorgeous the video is full HD the graphics are super fun, overall the best feature of the table so far. Do yourself a favour and wait to see it in person before making a call, video doesn't really capture just how good it all looks. Like the code expect this to grow as the game progresses, more clips more animations more goodness. One small note, the game status is displayed in old dot style, such a cool little touch, you will love it when you see it for the first time.

SOUNDS

Really Really lacking in the call outs, which has an major impact on the game, its hard to get sucked into the world without those audio cues, the ones that are there such as the start of multi ball, are great and just have you begging for more. Again no doubt they are on their way and when they get integrated the game will jump a whole other level. Music is good each villain has there own jazzy theme and it works well. Sound is super clean from the speakers.

Overall the game is pretty easy to shoot, balls seem long, back this is compared to GB or TWD, probably the easiest playing STERN table in a while, if you get dialled in the ball can stay alive pretty easy. There where few cheap drains and the outlines are pretty forgiving. I posted a high score of 350mil or so on my second game. The rest of the games was more focused on exploring. Hard to tell much via score with the early code, but I would say 5- 10 Minute games would be standard for decent players.

Basically if I had to sum up the game I would say "watch this space" the game at the moment is really just a demo of what will be coming.That being said there are a few issues with the layout and some bricky shots, that code won't fix. I feel it would of benefitted from another couple of months in the design process. However despite everything I have said above, something just keeps saying that Lyman is going to make this game truly shine, the elements are all there for an amazing experience. Could end up being magical, time will tell....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider simonbaird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-by-stern-new-info?tu=simonbaird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.