PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Flyer announcing Batman 66 Posted by GAP (7 years ago)

Post #4163 Photo of the Batman 66 playfield via Stern Posted by dmbjunky (7 years ago)

Post #4193 Photos of the SLE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (7 years ago)

Post #4194 Photo of LE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (7 years ago)

Post #4264 Clear photo of the entire SLE Posted by DCFAN (7 years ago)

Post #4449 Video from the Stern tour at Expo 2016 Posted by KingBW (7 years ago)

Post #4974 Batman 66 Product and Feature Matrix Posted by KLR2014 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It would be interesting to see the reaction if games that are playable at Expo start cracking like your playfield did. That would be embarrassing for Stern.

Pretty sure they'll make certain test games / protos playable by the public at shows or on location will all be manufactured properly, unlike those which go out to paying customers. Then some will blithely think if they order this title there won't be torn up clear & paint and botched inserts ... their silence continues to be deafening on the issue, and I'm sure it's not because they've fixed it.

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Sounds just like a BDK VE. Lyman/Gomez were on the original.
Trying hard not to be cynical but...dressing up a VE up as something new..... pro being replaced by premium as an excuse to bump the price again.....Super LE "by invitation only"(!!!!! WTF?).......
You'd want to love batman.

I expect they've realised that re-spinning existing layouts / toys / mechs has a much higher rate of return than doing all new machines all the time.

I can't imagine this won't be a re-spin, and that would make it the third this year! Spiderman VE (Spiderman), Pabst (Whoa Nellie) and Batman '66 (Batman Dark Knight).

Who'd have thought at the beginning of the year Ghostbusters would be the only all new game for Stern in 2016 ... and even then, it would be blighted by serious quality issues.

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

This would appear to be much more than a re-skin, like Spider-Man and PBR.

There are obviously varying degrees, but given that they're re-using elements from the last Batman game, they're clearly very keen to save development costs and hours. Given all the current quality issues, it doesn't bode well. I wonder what other costs will have been cut this time? Re-constituted cardboard legs?

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This talk of the Pro being dead is assinine. It's basically free money for Stern and keeps location pinball alive all I've the world. Clearly this title has been deemed "for the collectors", hence low LE numbers and Premiums. There will be another new title this year and like usual, there will be a Pro...and the Pro will have a color LCD, as it doesn't cost any extra for the Pro to have one. The display is the same cost for Pro/Prem/LE, and the artists creating content for the display get paid the same whether there's a Pro or not - it's an irrelevant factor in this irrelevant discussion of "the death of the Pro".

Another new title after Batman '66, later in the year? That would be total madness given their many issues at the moment. Not to mention the backlog of very needed code updates for half a dozen titles.

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from Whitenoise3000:

Stern right now is very lucky they are the only major pinball company right now. If they had any real competition from another major producer then all of their missteps would result in major restructuring. As it is this is the story "The Emperor's New Clothes."
For those history buffs, this has the Ford Edsel written all over it.

Highly entrenched monopolies are sometimes undone by their own avarice. In Stern's case, the cost cutting and resulting major problems with their games seems to have reached a watershed moment.

If Lawlor's game is a hit for JJP, Heighway manage to start mass producing Alien(s) this year, CGC get AFMr produced somewhere other than Stern and at a lower price than MMr and DP finally start spitting out more games ... then surely Stern have to be in some serious trouble, given the widely felt misgivings about their current direction and quality?

Then of course there are other x-factors ... next Spooky game will presumably be a bigger run, how will HomePin's Thunderbirds turn out and in what kind of volumes and prices, will TimeShock finally appear next year and how many will be made?

There's never been more choice, and never been so many major issues with the incumbent market leader.

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

ROTFL!!!!! Stern will never go CHEAPER! Never!!!! Especially on a game with super limited numbers. Collectors will pay stupid money if something is stupid rare. MSRP on this game will prob be $9795.

Are people in the US really going to want to pay JJP / DP money for a game that will almost certainly share the same ultra flimsy cabinet and el cheapo metal backbox of all recent games, together with low print quality cabinet decals, assembly errors, half designed mechanisms and a lottery as to whether you get a playfield that will last more than a few dozen games in a reasonable state?

I don't see how either their pricing or quality are sustainable.

#359 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Stern has Lyman.
Repeat to infinity......

He may be good, or the best Stern have, but he's pumped up way too much here.

Let's take a look at his last 3 games:

AC/DC - interesting modes. terribly, terribly unbalanced scoring. bugs. been waiting an age for rebalancing and fixes.

Metallica - good all round. essentially finished.

Star Trek - responsible for re-doing the ST modes / code. Made it much better, but has been left with several game breaking bugs and numerous other irritating ones. been waiting an age for final polish and fixes.

Are we really saying that he's done better with recent games than the likes of WOZ, Full Throttle, Hobbit or even BOP 2.0?

#373 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Star Trek was coded by Lonnie and his team, then polished later by Dwight.
Lyman was not involved in Star Trek in any away.

Got confused when he said he was aware of the bugs in ST and they were being worked on.

#476 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm still bothered by it. I'm also a little concerned if this will be an ongoing product offering now. Will every new title have a Super LE? So, every new title has a "real" LE, and then another LE for the rest of us?
It's not "Give me an LE or nothing"... but it's "If you're offering me a second tier LE (with price hike)... then maybe I skip paying extra for that LE and go with a premium... later, if I still feel like it".
Some people have commented that maybe I'm good enough a customer that I could call in some Stern favors and go for one of these Super LEs... but again, is this just the start of a new way of doing things? Do I have to deal with Super LEs from now on? As one of their good LE customers, they are bordering on running me off.

Cronyism isn't a good look for them. It's going to turn a lot of would be buyers off. Even for those in a position to exploit it, I suspect many will feel uneasy.

If you want a high end, high build quality pinball machine these days (which should command a high price) I'd say Stern no longer even make product for the market. JJP, DP and I'd like to think Heighway in future are surely the quality items.

Why pay the same price for a Stern that's likely $1000s cheaper in some cases to build, and what's worse, looks, feels and wears like 4 figure savings have been made too.

#496 7 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

My distro told me $10.5k MSRP for the LE, didn't ask about prem and was told "NO!" on the SLE.

If true that probably means it'll be significantly more than a WOZ Ruby Red or Hobbit Smaug in the UK - currently £8995 (~$11,800). Good luck selling those.

Edit: or are you talking C$ ... ?

#639 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Word from insiders is this game blows away ghost busters... Obviously take that for what it's worth.

The breeze blowing through the gaps in the inserts?

#673 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

We don't even know what the price is at this point....just a lot of guessing. As well the distributors are also being told this is only for the anniversary model, and will revert back to the old way on the next model.

We know that it will almost certainly be laughably high given the quality of materials, assembly, QC and engineering in their games these days.

#715 7 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I chunk of these LE orders are just a cash grab. See RZLE. You'll see lots of FS ads with 1-2K markups, with info like "supposed to ship on date such-and-such."

GBLEs NIB and those used for a couple of days or weeks aren't selling with mark ups, or even at original retail (~€9500) in EU ... they're going for less, and some aren't selling at all.

Haven't kept up with the US, but are people really still paying over the original NIB price for '16 Sterns, now that the cat's out of the bag regarding how bad the problems are?

2 weeks later
#1841 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I think we live in a great age for pinball, many machines to choose from. All kind of versions. It is the same with cars, not all of us can buy a ferrrari and only few of us can buy a custom ferrari. That does not mean it is a bad thing. If Stern is up to boutique style pinballs together with Ka-pow, that is great news. Small runs of great theme's, get us Predator, Jaws, Bond, Bourne, Godfather, Apocalypse now, and all kind of great themes. Stern has the knowledge to do the Pin, the money is there in the community. You just have to settle with the idea that you can not buy all machines, all new themes, wait for one that is really interested and then you go.
Love the smaller runs, makes pinball special again, I would love to have a special machine and my friend have another great theme. I would like that more than the pro/premium/le model. Where every machine is essential the same with some upgrades.

Expensive Sterns aren't like a low-run Pininfarina special edition of a Ferrari. The prices may be comparable, but their current machines are like clapped out 30 year old Chrysler New Yorkers with a door hanging off or missing, rusted through, but with a new coat of paint and some rims .... a bit like Ricky's car in Trailer Park Boys.

#1842 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

So it looks lime the SLE will have a topper, unique art, multiple translites, and upgraded speaker package.
What are the guesses for differences between a LE and premium, besides a numbered bat gadget or episode number plaque?
Althought the mrsp difference between LE and premium is 1400, I think the actual street price difference will be even more. I imagine there will probably be more wiggle room on premium price than LE price. Maybe no wiggle on LE price if distributors have people on a wait list for an LE like spooky does with RZSSI.
If premium and LE have same game play features what would stern need to add to make you want to spend more for an LE?

I stand by my guess that they're looking to sell the company in part or whole, and soon. They're demonstrating their ability to make in excess of $10k gross profit on a pinball machine.

#1895 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

What I don't get is Gary is always stating that the pinball industry would not be successful without operators and having pinballs on locations. So why would you not want to offer a reasonably priced pro machine that is built to stand up in a commercial environment to commemorate the operators that supported you for 30 years? Quite wasting time with building the Pin and the super boutique games and just serve the basic bread and butter that has kept Stern in business.

He also states that more than 50% of their business is overseas ... and overseas customers / sellers / distributors are left to swing ........

#2012 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

i think the above is a load of old codswallop. I know plenty of people interested, infant I'm one of them and have ordered a LE. UK dealers can't get machines quickly enough.
Neil.

UK market is minute though.

Also, I think people are generally far more clued up about what's going on with Stern (all the cost cutting, poor quality and defectiveness) on the continent (EU) and AUS/NZ, than the UK. A lot of people here seem to believe that if they're paying a lot of money, it is perfect, and it is their eyes that are deceiving them, not the product.

#2018 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

indeed, but so is each individual european country... I think its hard for anyone to tell what the overseas real demand is.

No. Germany absolutely dwarfs the UK market. As does Australia.

I'd be very surprised if France, the Low Countries and Austria weren't much bigger too. Tons of collectors in Italy, but not sure many new Sterns are sold there ... prevailing view there seems to be that they're total crap.

#2034 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

I doubt the profit on these 30 SLE's is worth the negative PR they've produced.

Nothing Stern do PR wise is not going to look ugly and not get shit on, until they stop shafting their buyers and distributors with defects and terrible quality, and roll back some of the cost savings (absolutely not going to happen).

3 weeks later
#4168 7 years ago

The (S)LE looks good. The Premium (LE) and Pro (Premium) pretty meh. Topper looks much better than the awful GB & GoT ones. Playfield art is ok, I guess, but it's going to draw unflattering comparisons with Austin Powers ... and it clearly is BMDK 2.0. Such a barren game, even at the lowest point of entry pricing wise.

Still, for $15k it should look good. But that $15k (probably close to $20k in most overseas markets) still gets you the cheapo metal backbox with cheaper plastic bands, by the look of it the same cheapo practically balsa wood cabinet, and the same crappy cabinet decal print quality.

The SLE is how their Premiums should look normally.

If this was some one off celebration of 30 years, they would have pushed the boat out a little and made it their own WOZ ECLE ... instead, as I suspected, this looks like a, "Hey potential investors, we just proved we can clear more than $10k (I'd guess 12k) gross profit on a machine. Buy us or into us for a massive sum."

#4181 7 years ago

Oh, and that's not a backglass for $10k and $15k .... it's a translite.

That's sad.

#4197 7 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

Didn't stern say something about there being a innovative contraption on the playfield that no one has ever seen before, had anyone been able to point this out yet?

I think they're talking about their pricing mechanism.

#4340 7 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The premium art reminds me of Austin Powers, it's like they took two unloved games (BDK and Austin Powers) and combined them into one, doubling the price, lol.

Tripling*

#4741 7 years ago

For the super stripped down Pro model (albeit with LCD), BM'66 so-called Premium, at £9000, is a few bucks shy of $11,000 in the UK at current exchange rates. As little as 12 months ago, that would have been $14,750.

For reference Dialled In is £9500.

One of those is clearly much better value, but at these prices, some markets are rapidly reaching the end of NIB purchases altogether.

The UK's situation might be uniquely dire with a catastrophically weak £, with Brexit looming, but the point still stands.

People are being squeezed until their pips squeak in the US, and it's far worse everywhere else.

Unless some sense prevails pretty rapidly, I forsee empty production lines, or howls of derision as Stern particularly slash prices aggressively, leaving people who bought recent machines massively out of pocket.

All it takes is one little financial crisis (Italy is teetering on the brink right now - and both EU and US banks are exposed) ... and boom. Current pricing is absolutely nowhere close to being sustainable.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-by-stern-new-info?tu=rubberducks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.