• Halle Barry 155 votes
    41%
  • Lee Meriwether 171 votes
    46%
  • Eartha Kitt 49 votes
    13%

(375 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 969 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3945 (resized).JPG
IMG_8821 (resized).JPG
20170111_211313 (resized).jpg
IMG_8785 (resized).JPG
IMG_8580 (resized).JPG
PhotoGrid_1484104656883 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104697396 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104747814 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104994689 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #1 Flyer announcing Batman 66 Posted by GAP (3 years ago)

Post #4163 Photo of the Batman 66 playfield via Stern Posted by dmbjunky (2 years ago)

Post #4193 Photos of the SLE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (2 years ago)

Post #4194 Photo of LE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (2 years ago)

Post #4264 Clear photo of the entire SLE Posted by DCFAN (2 years ago)

Post #4449 Video from the Stern tour at Expo 2016 Posted by KingBW (2 years ago)

Post #4974 Batman 66 Product and Feature Matrix Posted by KLR2014 (2 years ago)

Post #5953 Official Flyers from Stern for Three Editions of Batman '66 Posted by PanzerFreak (2 years ago)

Post #6359 Photos of the cat woman ramp issue Posted by J85M (2 years ago)

Post #6450 Direct Link to Stern Factory tour with Batman '66 on the line. Posted by BrewinBombers (2 years ago)

Post #6555 "Sneak Peak" video of Batman '66 gameplay video from Stern. Posted by Rum-Z (2 years ago)

Post #6703 First gameplay video of Batman66 from GAP! Posted by GAP (2 years ago)

Post #6716 Game Play video of Batman66 from GAP Posted by GAP (2 years ago)

Post #6745 First home unboxing of a Batman 66 SLE! Posted by xfassa (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Doesn't it make sense for no pro if this a retheme or very close to a retheme since bdk only has one model?

There are 2 BDK's. There's the "cheap" "Standard Edition" that was made for Costco.

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I never cared for the crane on TDK. It feels the same as Mick on a Stick to me.

Mick is a moving standup target. Crane is a moving ball. They feel totally different. The crane is one of the most satisfying bash toys ever. It just feels awesome to hit metal on metal....and Lyman did all sorts of fun stuff with its movement that changed throughout the game. The crane toy with a better Batgame built around it could be a mega winner.

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Pro versions eliminated from now on

No one said that. This is one title. Remember, not every game follows the same pattern.

X-Men: LE & Pro, no Prem
Whoa Nellie: 1 totally different model
Spidey VE: Premium only, no LE or Pro

I'm sure there will be plenty of future Pros. One title without a Pro doesn't debt the operators at all - there are always like 10 Pros in production at any given time.

Operator: "Hey I need a lower cost gsme for location. No Batman? Whatever...give me a Ghostbusters, Walking Dead, and a Gsme of Thrones!"

#191 3 years ago

This talk of the Pro being dead is assinine. It's basically free money for Stern and keeps location pinball alive all I've the world. Clearly this title has been deemed "for the collectors", hence low LE numbers and Premiums. There will be another new title this year and like usual, there will be a Pro...and the Pro will have a color LCD, as it doesn't cost any extra for the Pro to have one. The display is the same cost for Pro/Prem/LE, and the artists creating content for the display get paid the same whether there's a Pro or not - it's an irrelevant factor in this irrelevant discussion of "the death of the Pro".

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Another new title after Batman '66, later in the year? That would be total madness given their many issues at the moment. Not to mention the backlog of very needed code updates for half a dozen titles.

Or, it's more product for customers to chose from. Remember, Stern always has an active catalog of games on the line. More customer choice = more $$$ goes to Stern that might go to other pin companies.

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I would really have a hard time believing Stern is going to swap over to LCD and not "Jack" the price up for the privilege. They have been doing a nice bump up each game. Now the do a game without a Pro, so when the Pro returns, a 5500 street price will look cheap, shouldn't it?

You misunderstand my point. Someone said the LCD was an excuse to make the Pro go away and to only sell more expensive models. I'm saying that's wrong, and they can easily make a Pro with an LCD as there is literally no cost factor involved with its inclusion. Sure they may raise the price....but its inclusion is a non-issue.

As in the past - Pro/Prem/LE have the same brain, the same display, and the same artists creating the display content.

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Many of you/us have been predicting the bubble will pop... It's coming folks. How much more $weight$ can the collecting market bare? Can't be much more...

How many decades have we heard this Chicken Little stuff?

Only thing that makes it pop: All collectors decide they hate pinball and sell off simultaneously. This will not happen. Collectors generally hold onto their games, and occasionally sell a few - and there are so many new people entering the hobby that those games always get snatched up and the cycle continues. Inventory of classics is low. New games are filling demand.

My distrib already sold out of his B'66 LEs, and we haven't even seen pics of the game! What bubble!?!!

#309 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I still wonder if they go cheaper on the B66 prices. They would get praise because it would subvert expectations. They would be lower than most competitors still and no one will notice till later that they have gotten rid of the pro. Current GB MSRP is pro/5995, premium, 7595, LE/8795.
My predictions are
Premium $6995
LE 8595
Super LE 9795

ROTFL!!!!! Stern will never go CHEAPER! Never!!!! Especially on a game with super limited numbers. Collectors will pay stupid money if something is stupid rare. MSRP on this game will prob be $9795.

#332 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Are people in the US really going to want to pay JJP / DP money for a game that will almost certainly share the same ultra flimsy cabinet and el cheapo metal backbox of all recent games, together with low print quality cabinet decals, assembly errors, half designed mechanisms and a lottery as to whether you get a playfield that will last more than a few dozen games in a reasonable state?
I don't see how either their pricing or quality are sustainable.

JJP and Dutch are non-issues. They don't have the in production catalog that Stern has, that's why Stern can do what they want. If WOZ or Hobbit aren't interesting themes to a customer, they have 10 in production themes to pick from with Stern. I love Dutch, but they have one product mostly for Coen Bros fanatics (like me!)....they're not a full fledged mainstream company. Most of Stern's customers aren't hardcore hobbyists like us. They'll never notice the quality things we notice. They see "Ghostbusters, cool! I want one! Batman, cool! I want one!"

This kind of reminds me of Nintendo's Gameboy. How could a monochrome chintzy portable destroy the competition with their color screens and better features? Simple. THE GAMES. Stern has THE GAMES. The competition doesn't.

#374 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Will Stern still go on to build pros? If yes, would they have LCD? What about operators, can they monetize these premium machines If no pros available in the future?

Enough with the "no pros" nonsense. This is one title, marketed at collectors. There's another game this year, it will have a Pro.

#381 3 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Is there time? Flyer says Batman '66 goes into production in November.

Expo might be interesting

#387 3 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

I think he would prefer a bag of coke.

I get my shit south of the border!

#422 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Wait! Is that the leaked photos of JJP #3? What's it called...uh...dialed in?

LOL , no that's Who Dunnit

#450 3 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Was the ball lock on batman dark knight virtual or was there a physical ball lock... I hate virtual ball locks

Virtual. You'd hit down the Joker drop target, then hit it through to get a virtual lock, and the ball would get kicked to the upper lanes to continue play.

#512 3 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Can you tell that story? I'm intrigued.

Only if you promise not to yell at me for putting the outlane extender mod on mine!!!!

#519 3 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

$10.5K US MSRP for LE, deposit non refundable as per Stern's new policy. Not sure why Stern would announce the existence of an SLE if they are only for his "friends" and not for any of the rest of us. To hype this pin and force $2000 deposits without so much as a simple picture or feature matrix is ridiculous. I was going to order an LE but I find this to be such an disgusting marketing ploy that I can't bring myself to give Stern any money. I hope they change this policy in the future.

The beauty of the situation is this: for those who MUST have low numbered rare things, there are enough who will bite, no questions asked. For potential customers such as yourself...you'll be able to see and hopefully play the game - and at that point if it's awesome enough, you can buy a Premium without worrying about the politics of "collectors" - you'll *gasp* buy the game because you actually LIKE the GAME....and the price won't be so insane.

#527 3 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

When have you and I ever tussled?

Just joshin' ya - but you get pretty defensive about the GB gap and mods to make the game more fun. There are a set of STTNG outlane extenders (I think they're 1/8 inch longer) that, like GB - make the game more fun. Back in the day people would complain about destroying the designers intent and to "play better" - and then Steve Ritchie himself said that he likes the outlane mod and wishes he and designed it that way in the first place.

#536 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

$10.5K for an LE ? That doesn't even have invisiglass, widebody, or who knows what else?

People gave Jpop more than that for air. Some pinball people don't care what's in the box as long as it's rare. 200-ish is a magic number to make all logic fly out the window.

#547 3 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

If I was Stern I would keep jacking up the price to just ridiculous levels if people kept paying it. Why wouldn't you?

Well, that's why they have the multiple tiers. They can get every possible demographic to pay up. Collector rich dude types clearly have no problem paying tons for these games. Stern still needs the Premium to be close or less than a JJP game to compete with that market...and then there's the Pro in the $5k range, which no other pinball maker can touch.

#567 3 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

No dude it's not. His feed is fine. His links in his posts are not
Don't sass me lol

I think it might depend if you have a Twitter account or not. The "twitpic" for me was a dead link but for others it shows the Pinside screen cap.

#588 3 years ago
Quoted from ArkhamB:

Is that you in the pic, or is that Worf?
Or are you in the pic?
Brian

It's Worf with Pat Choy (Endless Pinball)

#633 3 years ago
Quoted from dragdaily12:

My moneys on the layout being close to the same. Not much can change with the crane swing across the pf.... just my thought thi

Exactly - it takes up a huge footprint. Take a look at the Costco Batman...this has a one way ramp instead of the teeter totter, no Joker can, and no POTD. I think you can imagine where B'66 goes from this layout. Some new toy where the Joker can was, some new toy where the POTD was, and an LCD either in the corner (like Hobbit's book) or embedded in the playfield (Heighway style)

batmanlite3.jpg

#642 3 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Word from insiders is this game blows away ghost busters... Obviously take that for what it's worth.

Oh, I'm not saying it won't. Lyman programming a colorful and funny theme that we know already has at least 1 awesome toy...and will have more toys and a playfield LCD! It's likely gonna be excellent - that being said, I still think the "bottom" of the pf will be just like BDK, but the upper half will have the tweaks and new stuff.

Iron Man was a tweak of Austin Powers, but it's a million times more fun to play. That will prob be the case with B66, but let's not forget the game was built off a previous foundation.

#648 3 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

This is the Transformers hype all over again.
We all know how that turned out.

TF didn't have Lyman, hand drawn art, LCDs, humor, or a good toy.

On the other hand TFLE was Close to $5k NIB.

For the record I wouldn't pre-order jack without at least seeing pics/video/playing it.

#764 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup, the terrible callouts by voice actors ruined the game for many. Sounds like another botched license where only the actors likeness could be used but not their audio from the films.

They did use some audio from the films, like some Joker lines...a few Batman lines too. But most of it was horrible "sound alikes" since they wanted them to say game-specific stuff. Between the bad voices and characters that bad no voices (Rachel, Dent), the audio package ended up pretty bad.

#868 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

lso what does the crane have to do with Batman, was it even in TDK movies? Is it in the TV show? I mean as prominent part of either show or movie?

It literally has nothing to do with the license. Gomez just wanted a crane for some reason. Scarecrow's name is Dr. Crane - that's the only possible (but nonsensical) connection.

#911 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

SO,are we all owners of the B66LE,or are most of you just dreaming at this point???

No one owns anything at this point. This is an info thread.

#1054 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Agreed. If they want to progress to anything significant they need to be able to have more than one pin on the line at a time ...

Exactly - we've heard it so much over the years, but this notion that the next title eats sales from the previous title is naive. If is product is going out the door it doesn't matter which one it is. More choices for customers = more sales. If I want a JJP pinball I only have 2 choices at the moment, and I don't like either one. If I like Lawlor's game, or the next title, I might buy it - that's a sale they wouldn't have had otherwise.

#1079 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I don't want to get into the economics of the pinball biz but the Hobbit was a huge miss, they should have knocked the cover off the ball with that second title. Instead the produced an uninspiring game. Sure it has a deep rule set and that's great but JJP's second game should have shut out Stern completely. They dropped the ball on that opportunity and that's no lie.

They gambled on it being "LOTR 2"...anyone who loved LOTR would have to love "LOTR on Steroids"...return of LOTR's code master, wide body, full color animation on a huge display....what could go wrong!? Oh, Balcer left before finishing the design - leaving them with a bare playfield. The initial art reveal which made pre-orderers go "WTF". Let's not forget the delays, which eventually put the game out after he movies came and went - and audiences didn't really connect with them like they did with LOTR....and let's face it - in this era of über-expensive games, buyers have to LOVE the theme in order to drop the cash. That's why Sterns games are selling, despite the prices and lower bling factor - theme theme theme. No one cares about Hobbit. People have nostalgia for Batman'66.

#1092 3 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

And they can absorb a flop.PBR doesn't seem to be selling,WWE(dud).Yet the doors are open and they are still making pins.

PBR is a promotional reskin of a game that was already just a low cost niche experiment of sorts. It's served its purpose. WWE is a flop in more ways than one ...but yeah, when you've got 10 titles on the line and some are huge sellers - one poor seller doesn't break the bank.

Quoted from badbilly27:

It always puzzles me why Jack went Balcer as his main designer when the free agent market talent was out there.

Balcer made TSPP, and that was one of Stern's best selling games. Same reason he went with Hobbit - based on LOTR's success. Who could blame him? The problem IMO isn't Balcer so much, but the fact that he left before the game was complete. With all the time it took to get that game to market, what could that game have been like if Balcer had stayed and done more interesting things to the design before it shipped? Does JJP have any kind of in house design team or a lead like Stern has with Gomez? Is Lawlor an employee or a one-off freelance designer? With the amount of pinball design knowledge that Lawlor has, he really should be the "Gomez of JJP".

#1117 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Lyman's supposed to be the one fixing KISS up, either solo or in tandem with Lonnie or another. Metallica eventually became stellar code with that team, remember? It's not the first time that's happened. Pretty sure KISS will get the love it needs to shine. It's already a fun pick up and play machine now, but with the right code could be amazing.

Metallica was never a team. It's 100% Pure Lyman.

#1127 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

So then, is IPDB wrong listing Lonnie as one of the programmers on Metallica?

Yes. That was Lyman's game from day 1.

The Lonnie/Lyman collaborations are Iron Man, Tron, Avatar and maybe BBH...all games that have the same general framework and rules. Lyman gave them excellent nuance, which is why "simple" games like Tron and IM eventually came to be revered as excellent games with longevity in a collection & in tournaments.

#1130 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Well then, I'm looking forward to the nuance Lyman will bring to KISS code updates (and the bug fixes). If you're correct, someone should tell IPDB Lonnie shouldn't be listed as a programmer on Metallica, too.

Where was it stated that he was doing the Kiss update? Between B'66 and the following release, he's had his hands full!

#1167 3 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I mentioned this before. I heard premium could be limited to 500

Sure, for the initial run....but it IS a Prem, not an LE. If customers are demanding it and distributors are asking for it - they'll run another batch.

#1188 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Except Xmen is now a very good game.
Yes, initially the code was shit. Now it is not.
rd

It's still a shit game with shit toys and shit voices.

#1192 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

FWIW, I don't get the love for it, either. Walked away from a machine I put a bunch of free games on without even finishing the game I was on. Just boring. I didn't get it.

It was the first Stern in ages with hand drawn art & the first Borg post-Tron. So, it looks good and has some smooth/fast shots ...but who cares, plenty of games have smooth shots AND are actually good, too. I've heard the same "praise" for Kiss. "Well, it has smooth shots". True, but everything else on the game is terrible.

#1272 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Looks like they're using the Hot Wheels batcopter. At the bottom of the page here:
http://www.rotaryaction.com/pages/batman1.html
And on Ebay:
ebay.com link » Hot Wheels Batman Batmobile Batcopter Penguins Duck Armoured Toys 1 50 Scale New
You probably could just pull out all the new hot wheels retro toys and get a good idea (batcopter, batmobile, batcycle, batboat, penguin's duck, etc) of a lot of what they'll use.

Stern generally doesn't use off the shelf toys anymore - so, if that's a Hot Wheels toy, it's possible they're just teasing.

#1470 3 years ago
Quoted from Christian43:

So in the application, Stern's has the first option of buying the game back if you're planning to sell it in the first 18 months. WOW......

How would they enforce that or even know if you sold it? People sell games locally all the time without using eBay, Pinside or anything that offers proof of sale.

#1479 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This is not people upset at Stern's actual offerings... its people upset they can't get their hands on the most exclusive thing.

I can't imagine why anyone cares. Wait till the game comes out, see if you like it, and get a Premium. Just like every LE/Prem since ACDC, it'll be the exact same game....so big deal, it won't have Adam West's jizz splattered on it.

#1564 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

What do you think that HEP King Kong is worth?
There are games I'm sure people have put that kind of money into...

How many King Kongs are there...8? There will be 240 B66 LE & as many Premiums as they can sell. Quite a difference. Legit rarity Vs. Manufactured rarity.

#1576 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

There will be only 30 machines made

Sure, 30 with different stickers, bling, and a piece of paper that says 1 of 30....but with 240 LE and Premiums, in reality there will be 1000's of B66 made since all models will feature the same gameplay and features.

Quoted from Jvspin:

I think Stern is finally embracing the "collector" mentality of many pinball enthusiasts.

Finally? You mean they haven't been doing that already with LEs all these years?

#1902 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

What I don't get is Gary is always stating that the pinball industry would not be successful without operators and having pinballs on locations. So why would you not want to offer a reasonably priced pro machine that is built to stand up in a commercial environment to commemorate the operators that supported you for 30 years? Quite wasting time with building the Pin and the super boutique games and just serve the basic bread and butter that has kept Stern in business.

You need to stop looking at the business as "one game at a time". This is one game. If an operator wants a cheaper game for route, there are like 10 different titles with Pro models in production at the moment. This one game isn't being marketed for operators, they're targeting it at easily-manipulated rich guys with Batstolgia.

#1909 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I honestly hope when your Ghostbusters Premium arrives that it is flaw free.

"When" is starting to turn into "if".

#2013 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Freaking ridiculous.... i paid 6300 with mods for my nib twd premium in dec/Jan. 8 months later the price is 1300-1500 more...... what a bunch of bull

Quoted from PinB:

Street prices are looking something like:
$7599 PREMIUM
$9599 LE

I paid $6600 for Metallica LE NIB at launch...and we got to see pictures lol. Premiums were $5800....and people were complaining then about the high prices and price dif between the Prem and LE. That was only a few years ago!!! Lol

#2016 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

So a full 2k more for LE. Stern already posted on their facebook page that premium and LE playfields for Batman are identical. So extra bling on LE is all cabinet and box box.
What do you think they could add to LE to make is worth 2k more than premium?
Maybe they will do what they did on Tron LE by adding a mode or two that is not included in the premium game?

Prems and LEs are always the same game...always. That's why I never understood the point of paying a flipper tons for an LE. It always comes down to cab/translite art and maybe the trim. Game is always the same. Tron LE came out before the Premium concept. It needed different code because it had different toys, mechs and features. With no Pro, all B66 will have the same features and they'll all have be same code. The Prem is almost fucking 8k now, they're not arbitrarily gonna strip modes out of it just to make LE owners feel like special little flowers! Lol. You're paying $2k extra for your stickers and plaque!!!

#2064 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I think it's near impossible to justify the increased cost of any LE over a Premium (with the exception of Star Trek), unless you're just loving the theme. -Which is ok in my opinion, but not usually smart for me.

Totally. I bought a Met LE, but would
Have been fine with the Premium. Back then it was only a $800 difference and I liked the trim color, Mirrored backglass and Master of Puppets art enough to bite.

#2085 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

It's funny. I paid $8,995 for a P3 back in Aug 2012. Looks like a bargain now! Assuming P3 ever arrives, of course...

Why the shit isn't that thing out yet!?!?!?

#2198 3 years ago

Same opinion for a star wars pin?
I mean most of people don't care about this batman 66, even more with so dumb prices.
But Star War is worldwide famous, nothing to compare with some guys in tights in a kitch tv show.

There are already 3 Star Wars pins (4 if you count the Hankin one) and no one cares.

#2221 3 years ago

They are all meh ...so a great one Will be surely a must have

That's my point. No one knows if a game is great when they pre-order, like right now with B66. No one even knows what it is. They're buying based on theme and fake-rarity. If the Star Wars theme is so strong for pinball, Star Wars fans would want the existing games despite the gameplay. But, they don't. I'm not sure why - but Star Wars doesn't equal instant pinball success for some reason.

#2232 3 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

The only thing about Batman66 that really bothers me is seeing the increase in premium price.

What about the whole top secret no-pictures thing ?

#2251 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

potentially my biggest query at this point.....doesn't seem to be a Stern trait up to this point.....

For everyone interested, I hope it's a great game - but if it's anything less than stellar on all levels, they're setting themselves up for a bust if everyone starts demanding refunds.

Remember when Hobbit was finally revealed at Expo after years of hype and pre-orders? I was in the room when that sheet was pulled off the game, and you could feel the air leave the room. Everyone was like "are you f*cking kidding!?!?" ...after all that build up, the art was terrible, the toys were awful, it looked empty and boring. People were demanding refunds immediately. Thankfully, they went back to the drawing board a bit and remodeled the toys and redid the art package. Batman won't have the luxury of going back to the drawing board. It will be revealed and produced. It has to be good....it already seems arrogant asking this much with no pics....imagine if there's a Hobbit reaction. Oooph.

#2288 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

See, back in the day for us old schoolers, this really wasn't an option. If you didn't know how to fix your own stuff, you were not playing. You didn't have parts, so you would have to buy or find 2 or 3 versions of the game and combine to try and save 1. You guys today, have it easy and don't even know. NIB was for operators. Very rarely was it for home collectors. We would buy the reasonable priced stuff that was on route, and make it nice again. That's all we had to go on. You couldn't get into this hobby without knowledge or the ability to want to know. That's why we have so many unknowledgeable people in the hobby now, it's more about throwing cash around, than understanding how things really work, or the real art of it all.

Well said. Many of the post-2011 collectors come from a completely different style of "doing this hobby". "Back in the day", NIB Sterns were barely relevant. Sure, every so often someone had an LOTR or TSPP because of their great (deserved) reputation...but even so, collectors would curmudgeonly own them & complain about how Stern's were cheap, clunky, had bad photoshop art, had low res dotty printing, thinner plastic, etc etc. Most people with Stern pins got them cheap at auctions or on Craigslist. POTC seems to be when collectors started taking Stern a bit more seriously, as they finally had a great toy that rivaled B/W, a theme their family dug & the SAM system finally had Stern's sounding and playing more like B/W. Spider-Man also got collectors into Stern with Ritchie/Lyman kicking ass and a loved theme.

But yeah - part of having a pin collection was FIXING stuff! Learning from friends. Learning from online guides. Helping others. This whole "buy all NIB!" was NOT how hobbying went. Bringing games back from the dead felt good. Fixing your own issues felt good. Playing a game you did a kick ass fix/tweak/restore was extremely satisfying!!!

#2364 3 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

It is simply a case of over-privileged Pinsiders bitching about a pin they finally can't afford.

Let's be honest - the people that post here that buy NIB games: They CAN afford it. But they also can make the choice not to buy something when it hits the "This is Fucking Stupid" zone. At some point a toy is a toy and just not worth it. Asking a ton for a game without pics is arrogant, and people who can afford it are responding with "not interested" on principal.

#2448 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I gotta say...and this might not be the popular thing to say... but after seeing RZ in person and playing it: no way, no how I'm paying $6K for that.

You have a right to an opinion, and I'll back you up ...it's a terrible game.

#2450 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Such a shame, too. A license bursting with potential that fell so flat.

...and let's loop it back to this topic, if something's "rare", you don't need that many people for it to be a sold out success!

#2702 2 years ago
Quoted from RickThorn:

I bought an LE. Art looks great. Why all the fuss?

It's $10k and you have no idea what you've bought lol

#2806 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

God, I hope so. I'm sitting here with a hankering for old games and if this stupid bubble collapses, they will be afforable again.

Good luck! That only happens if everyone sells their games off simultaneously. As ridiculous as NIB games have gotten, that madness doesn't really affect those who are happy with their collections, and there are always people hunting for classics and new people joining the hobby every day.

#2811 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Eh, I've only been in the buying/selling part for 5 years myself, but seems pin prices have tripled. You know what hasn't changed? People are fundamentally lazy. Project prices can still be awesome, and they'll only be better and more out there if people know they can't turn an *easy* profit by just slapping a rag around and buying some 150 buck plastics and selling it for 300 bucks more than they paid for the game+parts. If the market goes down, and people aren't making so much money, there will be less to go around, less demand. It'll happen sooner or later, and I'm okay biding my time. =P

I love project games - most of my collection was built on cheap projects. I just never see project games come up anymore - there was only so many units out there, and as they got gobbled up and restored over a few decades, if those games go back out into the world, they're not projects anymore. In 2007-2010 there wee multiple awesome projects per day on CL. Today? Dead zone.

#2823 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Bought a Gottlieb Magnotron for 150 bucks 2 weeks ago. Has a repainted cab and really nice backglass compared to every other Magnotron I've personally seen. Needs a lot of mechanical work, but....to me the glass and cab alone were worth the 150 bucks.

Sweet! How about project 90's games? Let's be honest, that's what most collectors are after and if a sweet deal shows up on CL, you better get ready to fight the vultures within the first minute it's posted. To me, that's the sign that there is no bubble. There are at least multiple retailers searching for inventory at all times...between them and collectors, it's very difficult to find a great deal out there anymore.

#2892 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This thread is now called the Levi and Ice show.... just stop.

I just see the Levi show!!!

#3023 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

REALLY hoping shaker is included on LE for that price.

Ahhh, a few years back I picked up a HUO Apollo 13, which had a shaker, a topper, 13 ball multiball, a rocket, a rotating moon with a magnet....$800!!!! Now that gets you a shaker and a topper lol ... Ah, the good old days.

#3032 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Rarehero and I go back to RGP days. Two things I know. He does not lie and its often his taillights you will see when pulling up to buy a game. CrazyLevi also.

Thanks, buddy!

Quoted from Mr68:

My guess is anybody with five years or less in this hobby would shit if they knew about some of our deals.

It used to be so fun to find "cheap" games non-stop! It was so plentiful, we all passed up on deals all the time back then - cuz it was just a given that they'd be around. I remember Super Auctions' final Fullerton auction...there were a few $400 Dr. Whos, $700 Whitewater, $400 Roadshow, $1500 GnR, etc....and I didn't get anything! Still, I did alright with great finds like a $500 LOTR and tons of other less-than-$1k DMD games. Pinball Molly beat my $500 LOTR though, she got one FREE in a dumpster!!!

#3062 2 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I sure wondered what a JPOP designed Batman would have turned out like...

$15k and you never get it.

#3095 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It can't be anything other than a money grab if they are trying to keep people from flipping games.

If that is true, it's a bad move...yes, some people flip games...however, not all people who buy a game to keep want to pay the flipper price. Flipper prices aren't "the market"...it's a sliver of people taking advantage of a product with more demand than supply. I'm sure the percentage of games flipped per games kept when a game is released is relatively small. Only a certain type of buyer doesn't mind paying the scalper upcharge. No way I'm buying a pinball machine at the scalper price out of the gate. The reason people CAN scalp games is if the game has proven itself to be desirable. We've got a scalper price before we've even seen anything. It's goofy.

#3100 2 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

That used to be the norm and people who just entered the hobby in the last 5-10 years are going to have a hard time adjusting to it. I see it all the time when they expect to get 100% return or greater on their huo machine and throw a hissy when they don't.

Yup, most older games lost half their value...T3, Austin Powers, South Park, Sopranos, Elvis...most of the pre-SAM games were $2k or less all day long at auctions. Personally I think you're doing pretty damn well if you sell a newer game and take a $1k hit or less...or break even. Even if people can't profit on their used games, I still don't think Sterns will lose half their value like they used to... the tiers keep things relative. A Premium is never going to be valued less than a Pro, and an LE is never going to be valued less than a Premium.

#3104 2 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

HUO or operator pins?

Well, HUO a little higher I guess, but not by much...still, I had a HUO T3, previously owned and autographed by the writer of the movie...I could barely move it at $2300 a couple years ago.

No reason to scoff at route games unless they're REALLY F'd up. I bought a routed Elvis for less than $2k and when I was done with it, it was better than HUO. I bought a routed Austin Powers for $1900 that also cleaned up to HUO standards.

#3108 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That signature couldn't have helped - that script was terrible!

LOL...still, it's kinda neat when a game has an interesting history. I bought my No Good Gofers from Marty Ingels, the voice of Pac-Man in the 80's cartoon...sure, it has nothing to do with the game, but I like that the game has that story attached.

#3111 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

I think you just coined a new standard "Routed better than HUO" You should patent it and gety $.25 everytime pinside uses it.

It seriously was! I added gold armor & a shaker so it looked like an Elvis Gold...total teardown shop job, new white rubber and lights, all new drop targets and decals, updated the roms, new DMD, new "upper playfield" plexi, color Cliffy post sleeves and PBL's stronger LOTR coils on the lower flippers so it played super fast and snappy, unlike stock Elvi.

#3214 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Bingo! The funny thing is that THLE's price was actually $500.00 above my limit as well. I was weak and went ahead anyway (part of my weak ass justification was that at least I didn't have to wait 3 years for it like others did, so it was worth paying a little more).

I think my line was STLE @ what was it, $7300 I think? I barely bit on that. I'm still a Premium buyer in the low 6's, but I'm generally out at this point unless it's a theme that really means something to me. I suspect that's why a good chunk of NIB buyers will succumb to high prices - if it's a dream theme. That's why nostalgic themes are good for these companies. Combine something retro like pinball with sweet retro themes that never had a pinball machine - it's a winning and fitting combo.

#3284 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How many people on this thread actually ordered a Batman 66 LE?

No pics, no sale! On principal. If you can't be bothered to show me your product, I can't be bothered to give you that much money.

#3288 2 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

^^^ Yes, This ^^^ Also remembered BDK was an average pin when I played it last

That's irrelevant. Austin Powers was average - and then it became Iron Man. But - yeah, show us the game or eat a bag of dicks.

#3294 2 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

yeah because Stern makes crappy games. Especially George and Lyman. blah blah until 10/14

I love George & Lyman....but they're not cult leaders and I won't give blindly. Asking for non-refundable deposits before a product has been shown has majorly turned me off from Stern. Add the assinine Premium price to this whole experiment, and I'm out. Reliable customer no more!

#3295 2 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

239 posts later and I still don't trust Vegans.

The two of us are trapped on a desert island. Who's going to eat who first?

#3391 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Boris Karloff does not deserve to smell my shit!!!!!!!!

1 week later
#4375 2 years ago

Looks cool, looks fun...but not a big enough Batfan to pay that much for one.

Definitely want to play it, though!

I hope the text & fonts on the LCD are placeholders...they look super generic. Little details like that, which looked fine on a DMD...are what makes an LCD look dated even though it's supposed to look new and fancy.

#4397 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

So is this considered a VE or is stern considering it a new pin? (Being serious)

It's new(ish)

Seriously, between the physical changes, the tone of the music & callouts, and whatever Lyman's cooking up with the code - it's going to feel 100% new.

#4588 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I have no idea why they partnered up with him other than the fact that he may have locked up the license. I think the crazy price is in part due to him getting paid. Stern had all the things they needed to make the game except the license....I guess.

Anyone can get the license...that's not a big deal...I think it's due to Kaminkow already doing the Batman slot - so they already had tons of animation and clips programmed and ready to go, making their first LCD game much easier to get off the ground.

#4667 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Topper is included, but the bat signal projector is not. It can be purchased for a fee.

I was under the impression that the bat signal that wasn't included with the LE is the little yellow plastic one in the back right corner of the playfield.

#4730 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Bingo!
Nostalgia as pure as any I've experienced in pinball yet.

I don't really have nostalgia for the old Batman show, but I'm really interested to see how they incorporated Adam West and Burt Ward...this game has the possibility of being really funny due to the source material having the original Batman and Robin doing voiceover. Plus Lyman. I could see myself interested in a Premium down the road if everything comes together on this one. Too bad we didn't see it flipping at Expo.

#4859 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

What did BIBLE's sell for new, out of curiosity? The title never grabbed me that hard, but seemed they were gone before announced. Just curious how much prices have jumped from that one to this?

Street price $6600

#4869 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'm not sure it was that much even (I was thinking low $6ks), but can't find it in my e-mail. TF sucking caused me to pull out of that one if I remember correctly...

Maybe that was a shipped price, then.

1 week later
#5287 2 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

Still no gameplay?

Of course not. What, you don't buy $15,000 games without seeing them being played? Weirdo.

#5345 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Why insulting? Look how much people will pay for AC/DC BIB and the only difference from a premium that is not cosmetic is a real back glass.

Just because a few sold for crazy money on the aftermarket does not mean that 300 people would have paid that price for AC/DC BIB. Most buyers got it for the street price, less than $7k. That's the problem w/ these new NIB prices...they're assuming ALL CUSTOMERS are willing to pay the scalper.

#5361 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

On previous LE models with signatures on the playfield, it was assumed those playfields had an extra clearcoat. First coating , then signature, then a final coat.

Why do people keep assuming this? They'd tell you if there was extra clear. They listed it as a "feature" of LOTR LE and Avatar LE...but never after that. Cuz they never did it after that.

#5434 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I think the bat signal projector is potentially motorized. George spoke to " the ability of it to move" at the factory. Maybe I misunderstood.

You misunderstood. You can move it manually so you can aim it on the wall, the ceiling, etc....they don't know how high your ceilings are or where you're going to place the game....so, you can manually position the bat signal exactly where you want it. It won't move around on its own.

#5465 2 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I'm not sure if anyone else is feeling this way, but I am thinking of bowing out of my Batman SLE. It's not the $15K that bothers me so much. It really is the extra $1500 I have to pay for state taxes here in Illinois. I would definitely keep this game for years, but if I ever decided to sell it, I would have a $1500 handicap against the entire market. Nobody else is going to pay that. I have to decide by tomorrow when my deposit is due. Any input would be appreciated.

No one.
Has.
Seen.
Gameplay.

It's your money, brotha!

#5495 2 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Rare ,I think Hawkmoon wants to rumble.

He can sit on a Sybian.

#5507 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Exactly!!!....if your pins fall into that category ( mine do), they are actually cheap in comparison. Ops that buy these as income making machines would rightfully have a different take.
I take the family on a cruise once a year, and sponsor ( heavily) a youth soccer club. Both cost FAR more than any pin I own, but wouldn't trade the " return on investment" for anything.
Enjoy life when you can...money just a vehicle to facilitate....

OMG, the levels some of you guys will go to to justify these prices...lets just go to $20k Pros, eh? It's only money...no bigs.

#5584 2 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Why aren't the same people complaining when MM, MB , CC , Ect. Were
At these levels. It's a hobby, buy what you can afford.

Huge difference. Those games prices were driven by real supply and demand. Only so many were made, not many were in circulation...it cost a certain amount to pry one away from a collector.

Stern is manufacturing rarity and setting a flipper/scalper price before anyone even knows how the fucking thing plays....also, when you buy an old B/W game - you know what the quality is going to be like. Based on the games made this year, don't count on the quality being any better despite the price.

High prices on rare games suck if you want to buy one...but there's a reason. Stern did this backwards...and while 80 people might be happy (maybe - they don't really know what they're getting), I suspect they've alienated far more customers with this move.

Had the SLE, as cool as it looks, just been the LE at a normal LE price ...prob could have sold 500 of them. Now 80 will get it, how many of them are hoarders who will keep it in the box...no ones really going to see this thing, so at the end of the day - who cares!? It's like it doesn't exist.

2 weeks later
#5813 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Bestbuy has Batman the complete series bluray set on sale for $50 this week. 13 discs, all 120 episodes, fantastic A/V quality, and some nice special features.

$50 on Amazon too. Ordered it Monday, got it Tuesday! Prime rules!

#5825 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

All the stuff campy fun, but was surprised how vivid the color was ( guessing they enhanced the blue ray version)....good stuff!!!

I don't think it's enhanced - it's just a good transfer from the original film negatives. We grew up watching NTSC broadcast tapes - now it looks like it was meant to. STTNG is the same way - the Blu-Rays look incredible!

#5905 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Based on that serial number it is a TDK from several years ago rather than a BM66.

There were no "Pro" models when BDK came out. The Costco version was called "Batman Standard"

#5910 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The serial numbers are done in sequence.
Gary also referred to the original as a Pro:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5583

There were no Pro/Prem/LE tiers when BDK came out. The cheaper "Standard" came out a few years later...so, despite what Gary called it a few years later, I'm pretty sure BDK boxes never said "Pro" on them.

#5941 2 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Did they give you a year?

Boom.

#6045 2 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I'm really not that bothered. I have an LE on order and I'm not worried that we haven't seen any gameplay.

Sterns favorite customer: Will throw $10k at a purchase on faith. They don't have to do anything to earn that sale.

#6049 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here's the real question.
Would anyone be buying this game if Lonnie were on code?

Lyman on code is a great thing...but there is a physical game there to play, and as we've seen with GB - game that looks cool can end up being a physical nightmare. We know Stern doesn't do real-world testing...so that makes the skeptic in me say "What are they hiding?".

Quoted from pauloz:

I know enough to make me feel confident it will be a great game and it is MY money, I can do what I like with it.

No one said you couldn't...but everything that's gone down with this release sets a very bad precedent.

#6060 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What are the chances of this being a "physical nightmare" though? It's a BDK with a few tweaks, and I don't see those tweaks having much of an impact on how the pin is going to shoot.
And while GB definitely has it's issues, I think calling it a "physical nightmare" is a bit hyperbolic.

It's really not BDK aside from the crane. That's like saying Iron Man is just Austin Powers with a few tweaks. The turntable toy is totally new....hopefully it works well but without testing, who knows. $15k to be a Guinea Pig.

I stick by my GB statements. Slimer was so bad they had to re-design the mech. The outlanes and gap are bad design. The airball targets are bad design. The guide that bent by the captive ball was bad design. People have complained about the launcher sending the ball into Stay Puft. The right ramp on both versions have issues. A friend and Pinsider said it requires twice the amount of tweaking than Avengers!!! If anyone got a GB that plays well out of the box, you won the lottery!

#6069 2 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Agree. Comparing AP and IM with this batman makeover is a stretch at best.

Not at all. B66 started its life as BDK, but it's essentially a different game on a different platform with different code, so it will play totally different. Same as IM. It started as AP, got altered a bit, ran on Sam instead of Whitestar and the code is totally different. Rob said we Know how B66 will play since it's a tweaked BDK. That's what people said about IM, and it turned out to be totally different.

#6089 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Anybody know when video is coming dying to see this bad boy in action

When someone gets it, opens the box, and makes a video.

#6152 2 years ago
Quoted from windsoreight:

Well I've played it. Not sure I can say much

Why not? You have it! What, is there an embargo on reviews?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside