PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Flyer announcing Batman 66 Posted by GAP (7 years ago)

Post #4163 Photo of the Batman 66 playfield via Stern Posted by dmbjunky (7 years ago)

Post #4193 Photos of the SLE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (7 years ago)

Post #4194 Photo of LE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (7 years ago)

Post #4264 Clear photo of the entire SLE Posted by DCFAN (7 years ago)

Post #4449 Video from the Stern tour at Expo 2016 Posted by KingBW (7 years ago)

Post #4974 Batman 66 Product and Feature Matrix Posted by KLR2014 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1466 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's extra bad when they want money down for something unseen and that's a follow up to games that have been plagued with quality control issues.

Could it be the distributors that are the ones requiring the deposits and creating the scarcity by saying all the games are sold out, when in reality they are simply reserving all of them?

#1546 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

i have to see what really makes it special.

I'm going to guess less of them will be the most significant difference.

#1570 7 years ago

There will be only 30 machines made. It's a very nostalgic theme. I expect there will be enough buyers lined up to sell out regardless of the price. Even if it turns out bad it might still hold its value. If it turns out good the price may skyrocket.

I think Stern is finally embracing the "collector" mentality of many pinball enthusiasts.

#1572 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Right now I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I see, basically calling "dibs" and waiting to see what shakes out.

#1642 7 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

Am I the only one here who doesn't think people are going to spend 15-20k on a pinball machine that's slightly different than a 7-8k machine?

Yes....

#1848 7 years ago

I think your're missing a couple of nanas.

#1850 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern has never - in history - raised prices, only to lower them with a subsequent release

We suspected they would be raising prices when they added an LCD to their games. Perhaps this special edition is the game that serves to get some idea of what the market will bear and to get us used to the post LCD pricing.

#1854 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't know why that would be.

Because they can.

Most people see it as an added value and will pay accordingly.

#1896 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

What I don't get is Gary is always stating that the pinball industry would not be successful without operators and having pinballs on locations. So why would you not want to offer a reasonably priced pro machine that is built to stand up in a commercial environment to commemorate the operators that supported you for 30 years? Quite wasting time with building the Pin and the super boutique games and just serve the basic bread and butter that has kept Stern in business.

Just look at the pinside map and you will see far more machines being sold to private buyers than locations. I think Gary is targeting the right demographic.

#2015 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I paid $6600 for Metallica LE NIB at launch...and we got to see pictures lol. Premiums were $5800....and people were complaining then about the high prices and price dif between the Prem and LE. That was only a few years ago!!! Lol

Ah, the good old days.

#2031 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

And yet they're all sold....so why should Stern care?

I take they are all "sold out" with a grain of salt. They were supposedly sold out before prices were even announced. I don't consider being sold out to distributors as counting.

#2068 7 years ago

On a positive note for Stern, this thread is diverting a lot of attention away from the playfield issues and the "Stern are you serious" thread.

#2071 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

New Sterns are simply not worth this money.

How can you say that?

New Sterns are fun and fun is priceless, therefore new Sterns are priceless.

#2076 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Stern's mistake was announcing this game, and later prices, without showing the game. No playfield photos, no matrix. What is left for us to discuss other than the price jump?

I'm not so sure. It seems machines often sell better on hope than on reality. Once people have money invested some will drop out if the game is disappointing but many will stay in.

#2081 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

To me the real risk of not honoring Stern's SLE request is quite simply you will never be in their "circle of trust" again. What is that worth to you.
Most SLE buyers I'm guessing would like to be involved in whatever comes down the pipe later.

Which also means if they accept your application for an SLE you better follow through, even if you think it's not worth the money when you actually see and play the game. Otherwise, "No Soup for You!" in the future.

#2587 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

a pin that is going to test the bounds of pinballers rationalization abilities...

Quoted for truth.

#2639 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If this is "original" art from an "original artist" why is it "the same" as a "product" that has already been "released?"
Or is that inaccurate? I haven't been following this as closely as you.

That is wholly inaccurate.

At lease a couple of eyebrow hairs were moved to make it completely new original hand drawn art.

#2646 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No he just changed the original pinball art up a bit for the toy

Joking aside, I'd much rather have some great hand drawn images nicely composed, even if they were pulled from other sources, over some photo montage or poorly drawn original art.

#2746 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Boob job is right...the only thing you can safely bet on is that it will underwhelm. Remember the talk about GOT"s Dragon being interactive and it would make Smaug look like a joke, how about TWD's floating head in a barn, Gene Simmons head on the pro spitting the balls out in Kiss or that deftly designed Slimer on GB?

Who could ever forget the "animatronic band" in AC/DC or the "star field projector" in ST? Oh the dreams we had before the actual reveal.

#2749 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

if you take away the hype, it is actually a fairly cool little feature that fits the theme well.

I agree.

Even considering the unrealistic expectations, the "animatronic band" on the other hand is just lame, IMO.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised when a toy from Stern is anywhere close to what the pre-release information suggests. I think the Ecto Goggles is such a toy. Would be nice to see more animations but the ones that are there look good.

#2813 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I was just now told my deposit goes non-refundable immediately without seeing anything of the game. My distributor is a good guy and he said this was a directive from Stern. I told him I understand but I was insulted and I just dropped out.

Hmmm...maybe Stern doesn't have a whole lot of confidence in the game and wants everyone's deposits locked in before it gets revealed.

#3124 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

his is true, but it is also the reason that you can get huge discounts from sticker price on a GT-R now compared to the first few years after it was released. I don't see that happening with the new Stern pricing structure, especially in light of the strict minimum selling price that Stern is putting on their distributors.

Stern is constantly playing with their pricing and release structures. If the current ones aren't working to their satisfaction you can bet they'll change things up.

#3174 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If they tack another $500 it won't change anything for me, but I wonder where other people's personal lines are.

No personal line, but to me it's important to get value in the form of stuff in the game. For example, though expensive, I think WOZ is a good value and Hobbit is an okay value when compared to the other new games/price available.

On the other hand, it doesn't matter how fun RZ might be, at $6k there just isn't enough in the game for me to purchase.

#3230 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

One thing I'd disagree with is that this is a high profile theme etc. so they can't mess it up.

Agreed. I think the best indicator of how good a game will be has more to do with the team working on it than how high profile the theme is. There are no guarantees even with an excellent proven team. To me, art, sound, software and playfield layout all need to be good for a game to be great.

I think a BDK VE with a modified layout, new art, new display content on LCD, new sounds and modified rules could turn out to be excellent with Gomez and Lyman heading up the team.

#3492 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

You make conflicting posts on one page of this thread in less than an hour.
Good job.

I'm guessing someone who has purchased 11 games from a single distributor might get some preferential treatment from that distributor.

2 weeks later
#4978 7 years ago

Stern is very smart. They make the LE look like a bargain at $10k with only minor cosmetic differences separating it from the SLE at $15k. I don't think a production run of 240 vs 80 is that significant.

#5013 7 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

"Demand for this Super Limited Edition was incredible. We were overwhelmed with fantastic applications and it was difficult to decide who should get these games. In fact, in fairness we could not reject enough applications.
Due to this demand, we have increased the quantity to 80:

The kindness Stern shows by making this special game available to more buyers brings a tear to my eye.

#5020 7 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

Hello Everyone,
I am one of the candidates that were selected to purchase the Batman 66 SLE...

My e-mail from Stern:
Congratulations Leigh!
You have been selected to receive one of the Super Limited Edition Batman...

Quoted from DJNOEL30:

Hey labnib,
Why don't you send Stern an email and tell them your one of the 80 suckers that would like to take Leigh's spot..
Just saying...

I thought you were Leigh...

#5113 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Welcome to the addiction.
I mean no offense by what I am about to say but...I find it interesting that Stern is saying they got HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of video applications for the pin and they chose yours...Like I said, no offense but it seems odd to me...Maybe they used the applications as a raffle type process?

Doesn't surprise me. Makes sense to give someone just getting into the hobby the SLE as he may buy 10 more Sterns to fill his game room.

#5341 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's pretty effing crazy how little was added to the SLE over both Premium and LE for $5-$7k more. Downright insulting actually...but they sell!!!

Why insulting? Look how much people will pay for AC/DC BIB and the only difference from a premium that is not cosmetic is a real back glass.

There are buyers that are happy to pay a hefty premium for rarity and Stern is happy to supply them, win-win.

No one is forced to buy anything.

#5348 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Just because a few sold for crazy money on the aftermarket does not mean that 300 people would have paid that price for AC/DC BIB. Most buyers got it for the street price, less than $7k. That's the problem w/ these new NIB prices...they're assuming ALL CUSTOMERS are willing to pay the scalper.

I'm not willing to pay extra but clearly others are. If we're to believe Stern, they had to turn away buyers for the SLE at $15k. That's more than 80 people who would prefer to pay $5k more than the LE to get mostly rarity and different cosmetics. I still feel it's a win for them (unless they're expecting the games to go up in value) and a win for Stem.

For any given title, Stern is taking a chance that there will be enough buyers to make it worth their while. I would say they guessed right with BM66 SLE.

#5419 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Well you can always get a premium. Same game play, less bling, half the cost. Why not wait to play or see a video?

For some people it doesn't matter how much it costs, what it looks like or how it plays. If it's their holy grail theme, that is enough to get the most expensive model made.

#5457 7 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I'm not sure if anyone else is feeling this way, but I am thinking of bowing out of my Batman SLE. It's not the $15K that bothers me so much. It really is the extra $1500 I have to pay for state taxes here in Illinois. I would definitely keep this game for years, but if I ever decided to sell it, I would have a $1500 handicap against the entire market. Nobody else is going to pay that. I have to decide by tomorrow when my deposit is due. Any input would be appreciated.

$15k or $16.5K, in that rarified atmosphere does it really matter?

#5463 7 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

Bottom line for me is that tomorrow will be S&*t or get off the pot day...

Being expected to make such a decision without at least seeing gameplay video is mind boggling to me but I guess Stern figures that gameplay isn't much of a determining factor for anyone willing to pay the premium for the SLE.

They should extend the deadline.

If you decide to cancel, instead you could just say your not sending any more money in until you see video. If you leave it up to them to actively cancel your order they may not.

#5505 7 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

You are right. I just spent a fortune to go to Desert trip in Palm Springs. It's recreational money. Just sent my deposit in. Thanks. You are the man!

I think it depends on where you place value. I try not to think about the NIB pinball machine I could have bought with the money spent on a vacation.

To me, vacations create memories and it's hard to put a monetary value on that.

When it comes to physical things like pinball machines that can be bought NIB or used and compared to other pinball machines, I can't help but look at relative values and buy or not accordingly.

#5558 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I dont think Stern adjusting their prices for what the think the market can bear makes them greedy, it makes them business men.

It makes them greedy business men...

4 weeks later
#6063 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

but I wouldn't have even gone that far if Lazy Lonnie was on the rules

Didn't Lyman do the original BDK code?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-by-stern-new-info?tu=jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.