• Halle Barry 155 votes
    41%
  • Lee Meriwether 171 votes
    46%
  • Eartha Kitt 49 votes
    13%

(375 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 969 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3945 (resized).JPG
IMG_8821 (resized).JPG
20170111_211313 (resized).jpg
IMG_8785 (resized).JPG
IMG_8580 (resized).JPG
PhotoGrid_1484104656883 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104697396 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104747814 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104994689 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #1 Flyer announcing Batman 66 Posted by GAP (3 years ago)

Post #4163 Photo of the Batman 66 playfield via Stern Posted by dmbjunky (2 years ago)

Post #4193 Photos of the SLE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (2 years ago)

Post #4194 Photo of LE Cab Posted by cavalier88z24 (2 years ago)

Post #4264 Clear photo of the entire SLE Posted by DCFAN (2 years ago)

Post #4449 Video from the Stern tour at Expo 2016 Posted by KingBW (2 years ago)

Post #4974 Batman 66 Product and Feature Matrix Posted by KLR2014 (2 years ago)

Post #5953 Official Flyers from Stern for Three Editions of Batman '66 Posted by PanzerFreak (2 years ago)

Post #6359 Photos of the cat woman ramp issue Posted by J85M (2 years ago)

Post #6450 Direct Link to Stern Factory tour with Batman '66 on the line. Posted by BrewinBombers (2 years ago)

Post #6555 "Sneak Peak" video of Batman '66 gameplay video from Stern. Posted by Rum-Z (2 years ago)

Post #6703 First gameplay video of Batman66 from GAP! Posted by GAP (2 years ago)

Post #6716 Game Play video of Batman66 from GAP Posted by GAP (2 years ago)

Post #6745 First home unboxing of a Batman 66 SLE! Posted by xfassa (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 3 years ago

Weeeeeeee!

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

No pro?
Not that I like the theme anyway but...
Wtf is going on?

The color lcd was never going to be part of a ~$5k game. That is why no competitors can produce games at that price either.

#280 3 years ago

As an "LE guy" that likes to own LEs, these Super LEs kill the luster of the regular LE for me.

If I can't have a Super LE, then I don't have the crown jewel, and I'm less motivated for the "next tier" LE. Might as well save my money and get a premium down the road if the game looks good in reality.

I can't be the only LE guy that feels like this.

#471 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It's the "Super LE" that is bothering me about this one.

I'm still bothered by it. I'm also a little concerned if this will be an ongoing product offering now. Will every new title have a Super LE? So, every new title has a "real" LE, and then another LE for the rest of us?

It's not "Give me an LE or nothing"... but it's "If you're offering me a second tier LE (with price hike)... then maybe I skip paying extra for that LE and go with a premium... later, if I still feel like it".

Some people have commented that maybe I'm good enough a customer that I could call in some Stern favors and go for one of these Super LEs... but again, is this just the start of a new way of doing things? Do I have to deal with Super LEs from now on? As one of their good LE customers, they are bordering on running me off.

#473 3 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

We just don't know what the differences are yet. Could be significant, could be lame.
If it's just an additional signature or something, who cares?

Well, exactly. We've not been given the information. Every previous announcement came with a feature matrix (and usually playfield mock up photos). This time I'm being told to make a deposit and not even know these things. How can anyone feel good about that?

#504 3 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

The Super LE is a 30th anniversay, once-only, Gary rewards/gifts friends for 30 year relationship thing, from what I know.

I hope so. Just goes back to the overall lack of info we've been given.

#513 3 years ago

Can someone who has gotten a ball park on the premium price PM me? I'd like to know the difference.

#623 3 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

What if the game turns out to be - mostly BDK - rethemed

That was my suspicion at first, but now I've been told and have read it's a new game.

If that's the case, I just wish Stern would have just rolled out this announcement like normal. I don't know why the need to hold things back. Only spurs the rumors and speculation.

#691 3 years ago

There's a difference between pre-ordering (well, basically ORDERING, you are ordering a game that will be delivered X weeks later) and crowd funding a new pinball venture.

#738 3 years ago

Gomez probably works harder now than he ever has. He's involved with every game now at Stern, as the boss of every team.

#879 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

I believe he said 15.6" screen. That's is a common widescreen laptop size.

Is that same as Lebowski?

#957 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's going to be interesting... since it would have been impossible for Gomez to downplay the LCD anymore than he did. I'm not really expecting more than what we have w/ColorDMD of existing titles. They can take their existing rendering model they use.. and just output in color and higher res and call it a day.

I'll be shocked if the pinball doesn't take a lot of content from the slot machine. I expect it to look a lot alike, as far as the graphics go.

#999 3 years ago

Expo is only a month away. I'd have to think there's a decision already about whether JJP3 will be there. My gut feels like it won't be, Hobbit needs more time to sell through.

I'm an interested buyer for JJP3, so I had to weigh when I thought it might be coming against a decision to get Batman.

In the end, I'm betting JJP3 will not be at expo and will not be here anytime soon, which then puts a Batman in my collection.

#1014 3 years ago

I woke up this morning with a eureeka thought that the Batman LE must come with some kind of crazy topper to help justify the price increase. That would also explain why the Premiums allegedly are priced "around the usual Premium price".

Look to the slot machine for inspiration. Maybe we're going to get some kind of Big Wheel? I'm making my prediction now that LE will have some kind of crazy topper, and that the $2k increase will be on full display.

Wonder-Wheels-Batman (resized).jpg

#1016 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Would be awesome to see them re-utilize "the wheel" from WOF as the big toy they mentioned with 3 modes! I think it's probably the most underrated and coolest toys Stern has come up with over the years'.

Maybe we're on to something. A WOF wheel in game, with the LE having a large topper version.

Joe Kaminkow is getting a lot of credit on this game, so you have to look at the slot to figure out what his contributions are since Gomez seems to be fully in charge of the pinball.

#1053 3 years ago

I don't think it matters to a manufacturer what widget is on the line, as long as there is enough demand for that widget.

Somewhere in a business plan is a number however, of what their goals for that factory are, how many machines it can produce and what kind of potential there is for the business. Then you release as many titles as it takes to keep that factory churning out widgets at that pace.

I don't see new titles being released at a faster pace until the factory can produce them faster.

#1305 3 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Colored wireforms? Wouldn't the balls scratch the paint off?

I owned a RCT with color wireforms, and for a 10 year old game with worn flipper cabinet areas the wireforms were fine.

#1451 3 years ago

Hmmmmm....

#1591 3 years ago

I heard Gary Stern was going to send Ben Heck to my house to build the SLE.

#2073 3 years ago

Stern's mistake was announcing this game, and later prices, without showing the game. No playfield photos, no matrix. What is left for us to discuss other than the price jump?

The little promo flyer says the 240 LEs will be "dressed even more so than a normal LE game" - I assume to help justify the price jump, but we haven't been told what that is, other than what the SLE is getting.

The last LE that had a big price jump was STLE, and that is arguably one of the best LEs ever. So, I'm game if they create the value for the LE, but so far they haven't shown it to us.

And of course there are my issues with the SLE being the "real" LE, and that the regular LEs are diminished, yet they are the most expensive LE (other than the SLE) Stern has produced. But that horse has left the barn.

Buzz/rumors I've heard for the game are all positive, so I am excited for it.

#2078 3 years ago

To me the real risk of not honoring Stern's SLE request is quite simply you will never be in their "circle of trust" again. What is that worth to you.

Most SLE buyers I'm guessing would like to be involved in whatever comes down the pipe later.

#2269 3 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

This must be what Frolic & Ice think every time Stern rolls out a new title

#2271 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen

There will be NO Pro, as this is not one of the 3 cornerstone games we make each year.

We will begin manufacture of Limited Editions in November, following with Premiums for the rest of this year and more Premiums next year.

You will not receive a new model cornerstone game, with Pro, Premium and LE versions, until after the first of next year.

Historically Stern shows up with a new game at CES first week of January.

#2274 3 years ago

Not sure why'd they'd declare "3" cornerstone games per year, as you are correct, they did not have that many in 2016. The factory has barely been able to get out orders as it stands so why add new titles to the mix.

Even the Batman announcement, seemed a little rushed, fueled by the 30th anniversary party and Adam West signing. I suspect if that wasn't on the calendar we wouldn't have had the announcement yet.

#2308 3 years ago
Quoted from SimonBaird:

I will hold judgement on Sterns pricing untill their next release, it's still to early to determine if the Batman 66 is just a one off hike or if future Pro/premium/Le will now be all priced $2k more. If the latter is true the biggest losers are the playing public and operators.

Just from the little bits of info we've gotten, that Stern does not call this a "cornerstone" release, it does seem to be an evolution of their business model and more "boutique" pins. If so, the economies of scale are at play here. Perhaps they do really intend to sell under 1000 of these, all-in, and the development costs per unit are higher.

I'll just say, for the Stern folk reading this, that it was a mistake to release so little information. If this is a boutique release, for "us" (Pinside / hardcore collectors)... you can't dismiss Pinside then, and you can't be upset that in the information vacuum the higher price of this game is the only thing being discussed, because there is little else to talk about.

#2310 3 years ago

I'm going to throw this question out there for all the people upset about being "priced out" of NIB:

If this is a boutique release, and not representative of Stern's "cornerstone" releases, and that their next big title will return closer to GB prices and have Pro/Prem/LE... would that satisfy you?

#2714 2 years ago

With so few LEs, I would think any LE buyer could easily get out of it. Assuming the game isn't a stinking turd, but everything I've heard has been the opposite and there is a lot of internal excitement for it.

#3014 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

My Dealer hasn't asked if i wanted a Shaker motor for just a couple Hundred more yet! Maybe thats not in the mix this time??

I don't think they can raise the LE price and not throw in the shaker. GBLE had a shaker as well.

I can't wait till the curtain is pulled back.

1 week later
#3712 2 years ago

I am annoyed by this SLE development as well. it is souring me on the whole game.

#3897 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Announced too soon with too many negative surprises. This needs to be a spectacular reveal in three days to recover lost ground in my opinion.
Maybe its because I dropped out... Is anybody else experiencing BM66 fatigue?

The amount of time since the first flyer is not huge, but we've had nothing to talk about other than price. That is why we're burned out and this is no fun. No other details, photos, videos or feature matrix. I hope they don't do this again.

#4046 2 years ago

<

Quoted from LTG:> I didn't get the email.

No joy in Frolicville tonight either.

#4223 2 years ago

I like what I see. It looks a lot less like the slot machine than I was expecting. The LCD is huge, much bigger than I was thinking they'd put in.

#4386 2 years ago

On the video of George he did say the regular LE came with the topper.

#4400 2 years ago

In for LE, staying for LE. The LCD is pretty significant, and I'm happy the regular LE gets the topper. They said they were giving more than normal for LE, and that would count.

#4577 2 years ago

We've seen many past Stern games get art tweaks in the time between showing prototypes and production. I'm not going to sweat the little stuff.

#4653 2 years ago

From what they've said, this is more of a Boutique release, as in the numbers they produce will be a smaller run than a normal game run. The economies of scale are going to be affected. That would also include the license fee spread across fewer machines.

#4755 2 years ago

I've put the SLE out of my mind, it no longer exists.

If I judge the LE by "Stern LE standards" we are getting a topper included, which is not normal, plus the usual armor, LE art package, numbered game (in this case done in an original way), signatures. We're also getting a color LCD, so I don't need to buy a color dmd. Still a stretch on price, but this is a "real LE" in that there is actually limited numbers, and I suspect they'll hold at value (not sure about SLE but don't care).

The overall package is quite nice and I'm excited about it.

Would have liked to have seen the game play at expo, but Stern of all companies don't have to convince me they can get it done. If Lyman wasn't ready for people to play it, he's earned my trust to make that call.

#4777 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Did you apply for one Frolic?
rd

I did not fill out the application but made it known internally at Stern I was interested. I figured if they wanted to recognize me as a good customer I'd consider it. Obviously I was waiting to see what the game actually was first, but had an open mind and all options were on the table.

Then came the news about 80 SLE s instead of 30, so far less special. Then ultimately I was never offered one, so the decision was taken out of my hands. Whatever honor I might have felt would not apply to being offered 'sloppy seconds' if they were to offer me one now that someone else isn't taking.

So... SLE does not exist to me anymore . But I look forward to my LE.

#4931 2 years ago

With so many dealers competing on price and just selling pinball commodities in boxes, I commend PinballAlley for creating value for their customers and doing it different. That's how you build a business.

#4949 2 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I love the side armor on the SLE. I really hope someone makes similar armor for the Premiums and LEs.

I thought the LE and SLE had the same armor? with the webbing and flake powdercoat?

#4962 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

That would fit if there were only 30 but since there are 80 do you think they would still do that?

They said 30 for Stern, 50 for Batman, so expect a second set starting at 1966.

2 weeks later
#5538 2 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Look no further than BM66 to see what would happen if the Pro model went away.

I agree. I always found it odd when people would say that Stern should drop the Pros because they don't want a stripped game on the market. All you've done is removed that price tier completely. The Premium will not be offered at a Pro price.

The only game I can think of at a Pro price not made by Stern is Dominos. No other competitors are offering Pro pricing either. So if Stern got rid of the Pros, then buh-bye to ~$5k nib pinball.

#5605 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

But it's the higher price of the LE that really has me puzzled since to me it's just for the topper, the armor and a few trinkets.

It's also the higher price of the premium that I can understand although that's the only sane price of the bunch. But to me the addition of a color LCD does not equal to a $1000 bump over prior premium costs. And I'm thinking Stern is laying the groundwork for the new price structure going forward.

Aerosmith will confirm whether BM66 is a "boutique" release, with a higher price, or a new standard. Everything Stern has said is the higher price represents the smaller run of the game.

I won't argue for the value of the LE, it is high, but at least we do get a $500 topper which is not an LE feature. Plus the color lcd to me is worth something since I put colordmds in my games. The LE itself is a fine looking LE. If the SLE didn't exist, the LE is a plenty nice machine. And at 240 produced LEs, with the individualized machine names, it is a real LE.

For me personally, the SLE DOES NOT exist. I had entertained buying one before all the details were announced, and in the end wasn't even offered one. So I also have no opinion on its price any longer, or care that they went from 30 to 80. Since I'm not a buyer, it gets a big "meh" from me.

1 week later
#5708 2 years ago

I'd like to know if Batman has a factory date, when is it expected to be on the line.

#5713 2 years ago

Considering Aerosmith is expected at CES first week of January, something has to be moving along with the BM66 by then. There's no way they'd announce their next game and not have any deliveries of the previous one, would there? I think that would be unprecedented.

#5789 2 years ago

This thread is almost 3 months old and we still have never seen the game play at all, let alone any deliveries. Highly unusual for Stern. I wonder how much the 30th anniversary party drove the announcement of this title, and if it wasn't for that would they have announced the game much later when it was closer to actually being produced.

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 8.04.16 AM (resized).png

#5901 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not totally down on this title because it looks good but for a premium that now costs what STLE did this is ridiculous. Look at STLE then look at BM premium it's insulting they cost the same.

To be fair, Batman (even the Premium, which people like to call a "pro") has 2 color lcds. I suspect a Star Trek sitting next to it with red dots will look quite dated.

#6004 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Just got notice from my distributor that LE's are shipping in the next 2 weeks!!!!!! Holy Cow, Batman!!!!

Sweet. was hoping before Christmas but was losing faith. Hopefully they'll make it.

#6033 2 years ago

Historically, containers for overseas are shipped first and are in transit for a few weeks. After those containers are shipped, the first truck gets sent to Canada, and every truck after that goes to American distributors.

But until they show us the games on the factory floor, I'm doubting anything is being shipped imminently.

#6085 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Lots of funny ones I didn't remember until I saw the list. I love the "Empty Alphabet Soup Bat-Container" from the Green Hornet episode. It even comes with a Bat-Funnel so you don't spill the soup.

Nice. I'm hoping to get a truly terrible one. I think the worst would be to get a middle of the road one.

#6096 2 years ago

This seems like a lot of work for each LE. Far different than an engraved plaque. These really are "1 of 1" LEs.

#6169 2 years ago

I've been practicing my one handed play to give you the best cell phone footage .

#6174 2 years ago

yeah the Jack Danger stuff is usually promoted. So.... cell phones it is, and maybe even mine .

#6176 2 years ago

Before the Jack Danger streams that was basically how it was. A machine just showed up somewhere.

#6309 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

OK,I just got this: Stern Factory currently shutting down for the holidays.Christmas party tomorrow afternoon,when production line shut down ,stocked,cleaned!Production will resume 1-9-17!Nebody else hear this???

They shut down for certain, but I guess this answers the "will we see BM66 before Christmas?"

#6365 2 years ago

Can we wait to see the production games before we get our titties in a twist about ramp flaps?

#6369 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So for the most part, the criticisms on this title have been spot on.

The criticisms of non-flipping prototype game shown 3 months ago that was filled with 3d printed parts?

All I'm saying is temper the outrage, it gets embarrassing that these are our problems.

#6444 2 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

New Stern FB vid shows work being done on BM66

Thanks. Ramp flap doesn't cover catwoman anymore. I can finally sleep at night!!

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 1.14.42 PM (resized).png

#6475 2 years ago

Nice to see that box, then that means we are close.

#6526 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

that center toy looks great

It does look very impressive. And we're getting that WITH the crane, which is already considered one of the best pinball toys ever.

Plus 2 color LCDs and everything else. There is a lot to like about what is in this game.

#6566 2 years ago

Wow. Looks awesome.

1 week later
#6823 2 years ago

Lyman signed the playfields, for the first time, so there's no doubt in my mind he is highly dedicated to this being a masterpiece.

I also acknowledge that Lyman's games take a while to mature.

#6901 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Glare from translite- The LCD doesn't reflect at all, but the translite is BRIGHT. There may be a brightness control for it ( kind of doubt it, but didn't have time to tinker much), but the glare on pf glass was pretty strong at the rear of the playfield.

Spike 1 games (GOT and GB) have a setting to turn down the backglass leds. I set mine to 25%, which basically removes all glare from the glass in a dark environment. I suspect BM66 will also have this setting inside the standard adjustments.

#6952 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

So same old graphics and interface but on the LCD - that's disappointing.

Seems to me that is something easily upgraded at some point, possibly from some other programmers, shared with Aerosmith, etc.

I hardly think Spike 2 is going to somehow keep the old dot menu for the duration.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside