PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 142.
#2551 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Original artwork made specifically for this pinball machine.

There is some "original artwork" in the pin, this is one of four artists, and while we are at it, I'll take the best of the best from the once again, best hand drawn artist of classic Batman in the world.

Thank you very much.

Another "no hoper"

#2552 7 years ago

I think some of you guys are mixing up Photoshop (photo editing software) with Clip Art (approved art supplied by the movie studio).

-

For the last 20 or so years, the movie studios have supplied an Art Book to companies wanting to use a brand or license.

The movie studios DO NOT want companies drawing a bunch of varying art in varying styles.

They want a unified set of artwork that will be the same on a Slurpee cup, on a toy action figure, or on a Pinball machine.

They don't want their brand diluted with a bunch of random art styles.

#2553 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think some of you guys are mixing up Photoshop (photo editing software) with Clip Art (approved art supplied by the movie studio).
-
For the last 20 or so years, the movie studios have supplied an Art Book to companies wanting to use a brand or license.
The movie studios DO NOT want companies drawing a bunch of varying art in varying styles.
They want a unified set of artwork that will be the same on a Slurpee cup, on a toy action figure, or on a Pinball machine.
They don't want their brand diluted with a bunch of random art styles.

This.

#2554 7 years ago

While they are at it, let's have Adam West and Burt Ward shoot some new "original" scenes to put in the pin at expo

Or maybe they should change up and redo the clips from the TV series that are going to be on the LCD screen because they aren't "original" or they look cheesy?

WTF

#2555 7 years ago

Where was all of this photoshop outrage on the alien thread?

#2556 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

while we are at it, I'll take the best of the best from the once again, best hand drawn artist of classic Batman in the world.
Thank you very much.

Yo Yo Yo-ctrl+c to the ctrl+v Dawg-I feel ya!

Copy and Paste.jpgCopy and Paste.jpg

#2557 7 years ago

Let's get the old gang together and cut a few new scenes at Expo. Julie is still hot. That would be "original".

Julie N (resized).jpgJulie N (resized).jpg

#2558 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's the same people who harp about Autotune.
Every commercial song is corrected with Autotune. Country, Folk, Rock, Rap, Jazz...

Vid--not buying this. Autotune is lame--any self respecting vocalist who can actually sing on key wouldn't be caught dead using it. It has made stars out of a lot of "singers" who are pitch challenged, however. Of course, I've never made it out of the bar/party circuit, so what do I know...

#2559 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Blur brush game was on point though.

#2560 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Vid--not buying this. Autotune is lame--any self respecting vocalist who can actually sing on key wouldn't be caught dead using it. It has made stars out of a lot of "singers" who are pitch challenged, however. Of course, I've never made it out of the bar/party circuit, so what do I know...

So Vid, by comparing B66 artwork to autotuned music your expressing your disappointment in the artwork? Just because there's a precedent, doesnt mean its a good one.

#2561 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Every single current recording artist uses it.

It does not mean they can't sing.

Autotune simply corrects pitch and works especially well on backing vocals.

-

Now Autotune can also be used to create an **effect** that many urban recording artists like to use.

That does not mean that those urban artists can's sing on key, it just means the effect is a popular part of today's music.

T-pain is famous for his Autotune effect use, but clearly he can sing on key without it:

-

Back in the 1970s (before there was Autotune software), engineers used the H910 Harmonizer to correct pitch and create/thicken harmonies.

It's on all of your favorite albums, believe me.

H910_Harmonizer (resized).jpgH910_Harmonizer (resized).jpg

#2562 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

-
Now Autotune can also be used to create an **effect** that many urban recording artists like to use.
That does not mean that those urban artists can's sing on key, it just means the effect is a popular part of today's music.
T-pain is famous for his Autotune effect use, but clearly he can sing on key without it:
» YouTube video
-
Back in the 1970s (before there was Autotune software), engineers used the H910 Harmonizer to correct pitch and create/thicken harmonies.

You are correct....did my share of studio work in the 80's ( leaving names out, but many nationals, as well as regionals) and the eventide was used as an effect, as well as " smoothing " vocals on just about everything....EVERYTHING coming out now is using some sort of pitch correct ( and every vocalist I worked with it appreciated it)...even us guitar players didn't mind having it at our disposal ( certainly cut down on the freakin time)...

#2563 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So Vid, by comparing B66 artwork to autotuned music your expressing your disappointment in the artwork?

The only flaw I see in the artwork is that Frank Gorshin is shown holding the Astin Riddler's Staff.

That's a pretty big goof that any Batman fan will quickly notice.

Other than that, the artwork is spectacular.

-

All popular music since the 1970s has been **autotuned**.

Once the H3000 came out in the 1980s, every artist suddenly had a 6 octave range.

Even the king of all bathroom voyeurs, Chuck Berry, used to record his songs at a slow tempo, so they could be speed up to normal speed upon playback. This raised the pitch of his voice so he would appeal to a young audience. Remember this was in the 1950s.....

chuck berry (resized).jpgchuck berry (resized).jpg

#2564 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Stern rips off previous artist rendition-cuts and paste onto a pinball and then all of the sudden it's "Hand drawn Art"

If that was the case I dont think the original artist would link the Stern Facebook post on their own website.

https://m.facebook.com/Metaluna-5-Media-169657579716029/posts/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=1

#2565 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Nah, its the same. Stern has gone over it with some heavier outlines and slightly added to the shading to make it look more hand drawn.

Quoted from PinMonk:

I overlaid it when I was going to mock it up from the little preview squares. It's essentially the same art with minor variations like Riddler's hand being moved, and riddler's body rotated a little to the right. Definitely a photoshop job on existing art, then enhanced.
I do like the art, though.

Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Look harder lol

I resized the second image and overlaid them. Note that the top of the hat stays at the same location, and the left shoulder does as well.. anchoring points of reference and size between the two images. Now look as the two images flip...

Or here is a side by side.
side-by-side.pngside-by-side.png

Look at the head tilt.. look at the hat differences... look at the head dimensions..

So you say my rotation is off? Ok, here it is anchoring off the highlighted bill of the hat over the face, instead of the top and left edges...

Notice how the face is still off and how much the chin moves? And how far the off the shoulder/collar gets?

Of course these are approximations... but they highlight the differences that were visible to the naked eye... If you 'look harder'

Edit: Fixed the graphics finally (to the best pinside lets me)

#2566 7 years ago

For the record ( what record?) what has been shown for the artwork so far is exactly what I would have hoped for...looking forward to my LE.....

( just finished my bottle of Buffalo Trace, however, so NOT happy w that....)...

#2567 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

If that was the case I dont think the original artist would link the Stern Facebook post on their own website.

I was not implying that they were stealing anything just that it is not custom art. For $10-$15k a pop for the Batman66 I am not sure if they could have had the artist do his rendition for Stern or not?

#2568 7 years ago

So do you think the released art clips are from the playfield or translite?

Speaking of translites, does Stern do real backglasses on the LE's anymore or is it all just translites now?

#2569 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

For $10-$15k a pop for the Batman66 I am not sure if they could have had the artist do his rendition for Stern or not?

Well he did, and they did. Yo Yo

#2570 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I was not implying that they were stealing anything just that it is not custom art. For $10-$15k a pop for the Batman66 I am not sure if they could have had the artist do his rendition for Stern or not?

Have you ever seen better B66 art than that?

Even if the same artist was available in the allotted time that Stern had, it does not mean that he could create better art the second time around.

Since that art was already approved by the license holder, that saves Stern another 4 months getting any new art approved.

-

Even if Frazetta was still alive, and you hired him to paint you a personal berserker, there is the very real possibility that he could never equal the haunted power of THE Berserker.

berserker (resized).jpgberserker (resized).jpg

#2571 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Sorry my mistake. I misread your post.

We don't know where the released art goes. It might be on premium only and LE and SLE is getting something different. Or the other way around, who knows.

I hope the art style on the vintage trading cards they showed earlier isnt on the game. Not a big fan of that look.

#2572 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Is there anything you don't know?

Vid's typically a modest guy so I'll answer this one for him.

"No."

And if he didn't know it, you wouldn't need to know it either.

Next!

#2573 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I hope the art style on the vintage trading cards they showed earlier isnt on the game. Not a big fan of that look.

Yea I thought it looked very generic

Quoted from vid1900:

Have you ever seen better B66 art than that?
Even if the same artist was available in the allotted time that Stern had, it does not mean that he could create better art the second time around.

Usually an artist has several renditions and can alternate and customize images according to the vendors wishes in a timely fashion. If you look at the backglass on the new PBR machine you will notice art that has been re-used and manipulated to create a custom piece. This simply looks like cut and paste but further photo reveals should show everything.

#2574 7 years ago

987731 (resized).jpg987731 (resized).jpg

#2575 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Definitely photoshopped. I was going to put together a mockup from the pieces, but Riddler's hand doesn't match up unless you cut it off and move it up behind Penguin. It looks fine put together, but if you take the art from the model sets, they don't line up unless you move body parts around in certain spots.
Still, looks nice.

Actually, after playing with it a little more, Riddler is problematic on his right AND left hand and arm, so maybe this was partially redrawn to different proportions. His arms aren't CLOSE to matching up with the existing model art.

#2576 7 years ago

Vid that is trippy-I took a triple take
I honestly am looking forward to this game and hope it plays well-which is the most important thing
Haters gonna hate

HGTH.jpgHGTH.jpg

#2577 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I'm with pinstein on this one. Alien will be a great game but the art package does nothing for me at all. However, for those that love sega artwork or a fan of sega starship troopers will think the copy paste look of aliens is awesome.

#2578 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

-
» YouTube video
-

Does this include albums like 2112, Atom Heart Mother, Demons & Wizards and other progressive rock albums? Just to know where I stand

#2579 7 years ago
Quoted from davebowman:

Does this include albums like 2112, Atom Heart Mother, Demons & Wizards and other progressive rock albums? Just to know where I stand

Atom Heart Mother is 50 years old, so they were lucky it was not recorded on a wax cylinders.

Demons & Wizards is early 70s (assuming you are talking about Uriah Heep and not D&W) , and thus is also too old to be assisted by the H910.

But 2112 was recorded at Toronto Sound Studios, who did in fact have the H910s in their arsenal while Rush was there. So, no doubt they excitedly used that new piece of technology.

Brag to your black friends that Rush was one of the first **Autotune** bands. They will no doubt be impressed.

Geddy Lee 2013 (resized).jpgGeddy Lee 2013 (resized).jpg

#2580 7 years ago

photoshop (resized) (resized).jpgphotoshop (resized) (resized).jpg

what happened here?!? julie newmar looks all paunchy like she just downed a case of beer and a tub of KFC (or someone accidentally didn't maintain the aspect ratio when they resized the image. although, it could be batman's cape throwing everything off

#2581 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Even the king of all bathroom voyeurs, Chuck Berry, used to record his songs at a slow tempo, so they could be speed up to normal speed upon playback. This raised the pitch of his voice so he would appeal to a young audience. Remember this was in the 1950s.....

Frankly this is a more interesting discussion than hearing people try to rationalize and/or demonize a 2X uplift for being told their game is more super special.

With that said...sounds like the same key?

album:

live:

#2582 7 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

i always wondered what would happen on here when art was revealed for an anticipated game and it was stellar and basically invincible to criticism... i have my answer, crickets

Well that didn't last long.

#2583 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Seriously? Maybe you didn't read the thread?

#2584 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Not true. Thank, God!

#2585 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Seriously? Maybe you didn't read the thread?

Had to be joking right?

#2586 7 years ago

Wait...They are using existing art ('almost' identical if saying that keeps us from bogging down) from toy boxes for the playfield??

....huh?

I mean, I like the theme, like the art and may be in on this once code is complete and I've played it a bunch...But...Seems strange to not have completely new art on a pin that is going to test the bounds of pinballers rationalization abilities...?

#2587 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

a pin that is going to test the bounds of pinballers rationalization abilities...

Quoted for truth.

#2588 7 years ago

Wait...They are using existing art ('almost' identical if saying that keeps us from bogging down) from toy boxes for the playfield??
....huh?
I mean, I like the theme, like the art and may be in on this once code is complete and I've played it a bunch...But...Seems strange to not have completely new art on a pin that is going to test the bounds of pinballers rationalization abilities...?

Not exactly a shocker. This helps with cost, and of course also with licensing to use stuff that already exists. Stern does this all the time. Their SpidermanVE was existing clip art, and so was their Rolling Stones game (I think the art came off a Rolling Stones board game). Both would have been better served with original art, as would this game, but hey, what do you want for $15,000?

#2589 7 years ago

Frankly this is a more interesting discussion than hearing people try to rationalize and/or demonize a 2X uplift for being told their game is more super special.
With that said...sounds like the same key?

Wow, that live version is tweaked into even a higher key than the studio cut.

The poor snare drum did not survive the transition well.....

Chuck Berry talked about it in an interview on VH1, when the interviewer asked him if he "No longer had the voice" and had dropped the key of all his songs in live performance.

CB replied that the record company was worried that he would not be popular with the youth if he sounded like an old man. They speed up the tapes, raising his pitch, and made him sound 20 years younger.

He said that he still plays the songs live in the same key he did in the 1950s, and still has his same "voice".

Go Chuck go!

#2590 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Both would have been better served with original art, as would this game, but hey, what do you want for $15,000?

This is "original" art from the "original artist" who Stern hired and brought on for this project, not a cost cutting move.

Is JJP revealing #3 at Expo Crazy?

#2591 7 years ago

Alright, this is getting out of hand! Stern just announced via Instagram that there is a "Founder's Edition" limited to 7 machines being built. Crazy.

BM66FLE.jpgBM66FLE.jpg

#2592 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This is "original" art from the "original artist" who Stern hired and brought on for this project, not a cost cutting move.
Is JJP revealing #3 at Expo Crazy?

I don't know, I guess we'll find out at Expo. All of this advance gloating is unseemly.

If this is "original" art from an "original artist" why is it "the same" as a "product" that has already been "released?"

Or is that inaccurate? I haven't been following this as closely as you.

#2593 7 years ago

Im hooked on buying new games, to get that new high a couple of times a year..

This SLE has openend my eyes though, time for cold turkey.

the vaseline and latex gloves were left in plain sight this time, I dont feel the need to bend over.

#2594 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't know, I guess we'll find out at Expo. All of this advance gloating is unseemly.
If this is "original" art from an "original artist" why is it "the same" as a "product" that has already been "released?"
Or is that inaccurate? I haven't been following this as closely as you.

It's been released on a toy box with Moebius and modified for the pin and integrated with the other artists on the project.

Anybody ever seen those toys in the marketplace?

Why would you totally reinvent the character art that already looks awesome? Wait until you see the overall package, the characters are just part of it and look great.

#2595 7 years ago

These animated GIFs show how the images are actually different from the model art. Redrawn or Reworked? You be the judge, but it's not just re-arrangements as scale, dimensions, and points of interaction all change.

#2596 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's been released on a toy box with Moebius and modified for the pin and integrated with the other artists on the project.
Anybody ever seen those toys in the marketplace?
Why would you totally reinvent the character art that already looks awesome? Wait until you see the overall package, the characters are just part of it and look great.

What I've seen looks great.

If I spent $15,000 on a pinball machine I'd probably not want to see the exact art on some cheap toy box at the same time.

I've never bought an NIB game and I'm not gonna start now so it's kind of moot anyway.

#2597 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

These animated GIFs show how the images are actually different from the model art. Redrawn or Reworked? You be the judge, but it's not just re-arrangements as scale, dimensions, and points of interaction all change.

Your image posting crashes Google Chrome

#2598 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Your image posting crashes Google Chrome

I can confirm this.

#2599 7 years ago

IE doesn't like it either

#2600 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Alright, this is getting out of hand! Stern just announced via Instagram that there is a "Founder's Edition" limited to 7 machines being built. Crazy.

Wonder how much the deposit would be. I know, if ya have to ask ...

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 142.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-by-stern-new-info/page/52?hl=flato and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.