PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 142.
#2501 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Why does everyone keep crapping on Photoshop?
Don't they realize its just a tool to manipulate existing artwork which could be hand drawn or photographic?
Do people realize that the Ghotbusters art on the pinball machine was probably composited and edited using photoshop (or equivalent digital editing software).
Photoshop is a tool and like any tool it can be used with amazing results or horrible results depending on the skills of the user.

$10k-$15k

#2502 7 years ago
Quoted from erak:

So the art is exact copies of the model kits. Maybe cleaned up a bit. or colors corrected.
Not to rain on your parade but that's Photoshop.
It's still awesome. But it's still photoshop.
Or at least Adobe creative.

Definitely photoshopped. I was going to put together a mockup from the pieces, but Riddler's hand doesn't match up unless you cut it off and move it up behind Penguin. It looks fine put together, but if you take the art from the model sets, they don't line up unless you move body parts around in certain spots.

Still, looks nice.

#2503 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Don't they realize its just a tool to manipulate existing artwork which could be hand drawn or photographic?
Do people realize that the Ghotbusters art on the pinball machine was probably composited and edited using photoshop (or equivalent digital editing software).
Photoshop is a tool and like any tool it can be used with amazing results or horrible results depending on the skills of the user.

I think most are aware what photoshop is and of course and graphics these days are going to be digitally manipulated. What they are referring to though is Sterns history of just cutting artwork or digital images from other sources and pasting them on to a playfield.

As for Ghostbusters.... "All models feature beautiful and unique hand drawn art by renowned illustrator Jeremy Packer a.k.a. Zombie Yeti."

He drew the assets for the machine, not cut and pasted them from other sources. There is a difference and Stern really should know that people will know and pick apart everything they do.

#2504 7 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

..... Stern really should know that people will know and pick apart everything they do.

Especially with the hype they have created with this title. They have allowed no room for anything but pinball perfection. Photoshoping existing assets, hand drawn or not, is not a good start.

#2505 7 years ago

Julie Newmar for the win!!

#2506 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Photoshoping existing assets, hand drawn or not, is not a good start.

It still looks good though and true to Stern's cost cutting of late, it"s probably saving them $$ to be sure.

#2507 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

It's the same people who harp about Autotune.

Every commercial song is corrected with Autotune. Country, Folk, Rock, Rap, Jazz.

Every commercial photo has been corrected in Photoshop or Lightroom.

-

That beautiful wedding album package that your daughter just spent $10,000 on? Every photo was sent to India, processed in Photoshop, bound into a hardcopy book and presented by her photographer.

Every picture is then cried and gushed over.

No one pushes the album away and says "Photoshop!" in disgust.

(well, except Pinsiders.)

#2508 7 years ago

"Every picture is then cried and gushed over.
No one pushes the album away and says "Photoshop!"
(well, except Pinsiders.)

Drop that f Ing mic Vid!

#2509 7 years ago

Oh here we go. Tell me with a straight face that those of you who are in on BM66 that you didn't expect brand new assets for this? Seriously, go ahead.

Be honest with yourselves.

#2510 7 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

It still looks good though and true to Stern's cost cutting of late, it"s probably saving them $$ to be sure.

Yeh, I think for most releases, it's acceptable if executed well. But the game is $15k and they're asking people to beg for the right to purchase. If the best they can come up with is photoshoping existing assets, then they're setting themselves up for a fall. Lets hope the "redesigned left playfield" is phenomenal.

penguincombined (resized).jpgpenguincombined (resized).jpg
ridlercombined (resized).jpgridlercombined (resized).jpg

edit: good catch docquest

Quoted from docquest:Looks like they are using the same art that was used on the moebius model kits which looked great.

#2511 7 years ago

30 pins are $15k. Might have its own Picasso

Mine is $9500 and I'll take the renderings of the characters. Hard to beat that

Plus you haven't seen the rest of the artwork.

I got a tingle up my leg

#2513 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

it's acceptable if executed well. But the game is $15k and they're asking people to beg for the right to purchase. If the best they can come up with is photoshoping existing assets

That's what I've been saying this guys are so far from creating art it's pathetic. They didn't even bother designing a game from scratch for the 30th they just used BDK and added a ramp and toys for 15k...and you know what good for them. Let them sell it out. This game will never be BBB stuff. This games is already dinged out of the gate. So what if it's the first LCD game (how much is a Gorgar). What happens with BDK2 when the next title is a Borg/Lyman blockbuster with 2 LCDs?

#2514 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeh, I think for most releases, it's acceptable if executed well. But the game is $15k and they're asking people to beg for the right to purchase. If the best they can come up with is photoshoping existing assets, then they're setting themselves up for a fall. Lets hope the "redesigned left playfield" is phenomenal.

edit: good catch docquest

Doesn't look photochop'd to me.. looks like redrawn in the same styles. There are differences like the head tilt is different relative to the hat.. hat different.. elements on the skin are different, etc.

#2515 7 years ago

Some of you guys can't help yourselves.

I'd be jealous too

#2516 7 years ago

New s*** has come to light

#2517 7 years ago

photoshop (resized).jpgphotoshop (resized).jpg

#2518 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Doesn't look photochop'd to me.. looks like redrawn in the same styles. There are differences like the head tilt is different relative to the hat.. hat different.. elements on the skin are different, etc.

Nah, its the same. Stern has gone over it with some heavier outlines and slightly added to the shading to make it look more hand drawn.

#2519 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Some of you guys can't help yourselves.
I'd be jealous too

Not jealous as I have a (refundable) deposit down. Just making me more critical because its AUD $14500 and at the price this game needs to be freakin' awesome. Was hoping for more than re-used assets, but I realise this is only a small element. Will definitely wait until reveal at which stage I can pull my deposit if i'm not happy.

#2520 7 years ago

Not jealous either. Like I said I was offered one for a very fair price. I passed. But for you guys who are in I was hoping for a better jump out of the gate for you. That's all.

#2521 7 years ago

batman 66 huh... meh, I'll wait for the next one.

#2522 7 years ago

So the artwork looks great, but people on here are upset that it was previously used on a model kit or whatever that .00000000000000000000001% of planet earth would even know existed.

Just want to make sure I am following along.

#2523 7 years ago

If it looks great, it looks great. Who cares if it is an existing asset? Let's wait to see the whole thing and then tear it a new one...or praise it.

#2524 7 years ago

Stern brings on the best hand drawn artist of classic Batman in the world and still get whining. Nuff said

Dont eat too much before expo. That mile of turd carries a lot of calories

Seriously, if you can't like that art you are hopeless

#2525 7 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

What they are referring to though is Sterns history of just cutting artwork or digital images from other sources and pasting them on to a playfield.
As for Ghostbusters.... "All models feature beautiful and unique hand drawn art by renowned illustrator Jeremy Packer a.k.a. Zombie Yeti."
He drew the assets for the machine, not cut and pasted them from other sources.

I'd be very surprised if this version of the art was not created specifically by the artist for this game. As someone else mentioned the poses are not exactly the same so I think its more likely that Chris re-did some of his previous art just for the pinball machine.

Chris uses original photos of the actors and then recreates the image in the style you see. I noticed that he does reuse the same poses on various pieces. If people think its just a simple copy and paste job to make them then they are underestimating the amount of skill it actually takes to make it look good.

Here's an original photo of Frank Gorshin so you can see where he got the source pose from. I think they all look fantastic and don't care if the pose of the character was used previously or not. As long as the art matches the game layout style its all good.

But this is pinside so I guess people gotta complain about something.

frank_gorshin_riddler1 (resized).jpgfrank_gorshin_riddler1 (resized).jpg

tv guide (resized).jpgtv guide (resized).jpg

movie poster (resized).jpgmovie poster (resized).jpg

batblog (resized).jpgbatblog (resized).jpg

#2526 7 years ago

Funny how before it was figured out it was existing art it was the best thing ever. If it's good, what's the issue where the source material came from? Bad photoshop is bad photoshop, but not all of it is bad.

#2527 7 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

So the artwork looks great, but people on here are upset that it was previously used on a model kit or whatever that .00000000000000000000001% of planet earth would even know existed.
Just want to make sure I am following along.

The issue isn't the artwork per se. It's people are paying $10-$15k for these and are getting previously used assets. At least part of the art is apparently. For that kind of money I would expect original work.

Do we know for sure the art is for the games and not just promotional material?

#2528 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

The issue isn't the artwork per se. It's people are paying $10-$15k for these and are getting previously used assets. At least part of the art is apparently. For that kind of money I would expect original work.
Do we know for sure the art is for the games and not just promotional material?

What if it was original, yet inferior, art?

#2529 7 years ago

The issue is Stern have set the bar sky high for this game. Whether Stern are capable of jumping that high remains to be seen.

#2530 7 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

What if it was original, yet inferior, art?

Even worse. For that price range I expect original, exceptional work.

GB has a lot of manufacturing issues. The artwork? Original and amazing. And before anyone says it...yes I realize the cost difference in the artists.

#2531 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Spooky just went past your $6k limit

That's ok, because I already own spooky. So I don't care what it's worth anymore.

#2532 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

The issue isn't the artwork per se. It's people are paying $10-$15k for these and are getting previously used assets.

Since most of the actors are dead, and the rest are 70+ years old, all we have are used assets.

Unless someone discovers a previously unknown, 50 year old picture of one of the actors, dressed in character, in an interesting pose.....you are looking at the best of the best.

#2533 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I overlaid it when I was going to mock it up from the little preview squares. It's essentially the same art with minor variations like Riddler's hand being moved, and riddler's body rotated a little to the right. Definitely a photoshop job on existing art, then enhanced.

I do like the art, though.

#2534 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Since most of the actors are dead, and the rest are 70+ years old, all we have are used assets.
Unless someone discovers a previously unknown, 50 year old picture of one of the actors, dressed in character, in an interesting pose.....you are looking at the best of the best.

So I guess that begs the question...how did Zombie Yeti get the ghosts to stand still so he could do the artwork on GB?

#2535 7 years ago

It's how art is done today, including how Yeti drew GB, MG, RAZA and everything else he does.

You don't "reinvent" Batman characters, take the best rendering out there and turn it into shit.

Chris Franchi is good enough for me as far as Batman goes.

#2536 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Here's an original photo of Frank Gorshin so you can see where he got the source pose from. I think they all look fantastic and don't care if the pose of the character was used previously or not.

If you look at those old photos, you can see they often used the same images as well.

Of course they didn't have PhotoShop back then.

They used PhotoScissors.

rd

#2537 7 years ago

I wonder if they will remove the Riddler's staff from Gorshin hands?.

I only remember John Astin (Gomez from Adams Family) using it?

Could be a big error in the art......

gomez (resized).jpggomez (resized).jpg

#2538 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I wonder if they will remove the Riddler's staff from his hands?.
I only remember John Astin (Gomez from Adams Family) using it?

John Astin was great on Addams Family but his Riddler was not very memorable. Glad they got Frank Gorshin to come back for season 3.

#2539 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's how art is done today, including how Yeti drew GB, MG, RAZA and everything else he does.
You don't "reinvent" Batman characters, take the best rendering out there and turn it into shit.
Chris Franchi is good enough for me as far as Batman goes.

Dude I like you but that's just flat out incorrect. He may have used photoshop during the process but the assets themselves were original.

If you're happy that is all that matters.

#2540 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

So I guess that begs the question...how did Zombie Yeti get the ghosts to stand still so he could do the artwork on GB?

He put a lemon in each of their mouths so all their faces would be frozen and puckered.

#2541 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

He put a lemon in each of their mouths so all their faces would be frozen and puckered.

Is there anything you don't know?

#2542 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Dude I like you but that's just flat out incorrect. He may have used photoshop during the process but the assets themselves were original.
If you're happy that is all that matters.

Sure, the assets are original yeti. So are these assets from the "original" artist hired by Stern to integrate into the game. You don't get to just paste these in like clip art.

It's based on Batman 66 series, see pics above, they are awesome! I'm not sure what more you can ask for.

#2543 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Mine is $9500 and I'll take the renderings of the characters. Hard to beat that
Plus you haven't seen the rest of the artwork.
I got a tingle up my leg

I think that tingle down your leg is a stream of piss from pissing yourself for the potential money you are about to throw down on something you know nothing about. You will take what Stern gives you on this one-which is photo shopped cut and paste at its best. What is the difference from cutting and pasting other graphic images v.s. hand drawn custom art images?-nothing. "Oh its custom art"-bullshit!

Quoted from iceman44:

Stern brings on the best hand drawn artist of classic Batman in the world and still get whining.

No Stern rips off previous artist rendition-cuts and paste onto a pinball and then all of the sudden it's "Hand drawn Art"

#2544 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sure, the assets are original yeti. So are these assets from the "original" artist hired by Stern to integrate into the game. You don't get to just paste these in like clip art.
It's based on Batman 66 series, see pics above, they are awesome! I'm not sure what more you can ask for.

You got real dollars at stake. As long as you're happy it doesn't matter what I think. I hope it's all you want and more. Someday a dream theme pin will come up for me and I know it will be criticized. All good.

#2545 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think that tingle down your leg is a stream of piss from pissing yourself for the potential money you are about to throw down on something you know nothing about. You will take what Stern gives you on this one-which is photo shopped cut and paste at its best. What is the difference from cutting and pasting other graphic images v.s. hand drawn custom art images?-nothing. "Oh its custom art"-bullshit!

No hoper

#2546 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Look harder lol

#2547 7 years ago

Going to look awesome when the clear/art starts lifting off the playfield! Don't worry, they'll have a program. Free Gary stickers you slap over the Joker.

#2548 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

You got real dollars at stake. As long as you're happy it doesn't matter what I think. I hope it's all you want and more. Someday a dream theme pin will come up for me and I know it will be criticized. All good.

I appreciate that, not everybody is going to love everything.

My last two pins are a TWDLE and GBLE which are fantastic for me. The BM66LE is going way above and beyond those two, I'll take it and be very happy with it from what i know so far.

#2549 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm not sure what more you can ask for.

Original artwork made specifically for this pinball machine.

#2550 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I appreciate that, not everybody is going to love everything.
My last two pins are a TWDLE and GBLE which are fantastic for me. The BM66LE is going way above and beyond those two, I'll take it and be very happy with it from what i know so far.

Agreed. I prob would have been in on GBLE if it weren't for all the green. Just not my color. So instead I'm dropping stupid money into a premium to make it my own. Including some one off stuff that should blow people's minds. Others will laugh. To each their own.

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 142.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-by-stern-new-info/page/51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.