PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 142.
#2251 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

potentially my biggest query at this point.....doesn't seem to be a Stern trait up to this point.....

For everyone interested, I hope it's a great game - but if it's anything less than stellar on all levels, they're setting themselves up for a bust if everyone starts demanding refunds.

Remember when Hobbit was finally revealed at Expo after years of hype and pre-orders? I was in the room when that sheet was pulled off the game, and you could feel the air leave the room. Everyone was like "are you f*cking kidding!?!?" ...after all that build up, the art was terrible, the toys were awful, it looked empty and boring. People were demanding refunds immediately. Thankfully, they went back to the drawing board a bit and remodeled the toys and redid the art package. Batman won't have the luxury of going back to the drawing board. It will be revealed and produced. It has to be good....it already seems arrogant asking this much with no pics....imagine if there's a Hobbit reaction. Oooph.

#2252 7 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

I don't see a BM66 theme game getting made unless it was a boutique edition. Seems to me that Stern has taken an opportunity to try something new.

You mean like Gary Stern and Ka-Pow ! Pinball ?

LTG : )

#2253 7 years ago

The red one is my actual bike. The blue pic was pulled off Google but it arrives next week.

Many pinball similarities in the BMX/Cruiser hobby. All limited run reissues but with a neat twist... they're 24" to 29" wheeled (instead of 20") so folks can obtain their childhood grails & actually fit on em!

Too similar to pinball maybe? Folks buy em, mod em, preorder em, play em (ride them) & even polish, replate & powder coat lol. People have display rooms like we have gamerooms. Some ride them while some never allow their collection to leave the carpet. Old diehards shout "remakes suck". Holy shit.

Aaand I'm just hoping a certain model sells out next week so I wont buy it. I don't want to drop $2K in just 2 weeks but it will happen if I get that 3rd bike.

This must be what Frolic & Ice think every time Stern rolls out a new title

One nice point is I lost 2 lbs from bike riding this week. Unless it was the spicy coconut curry? Not sure, could have been either.

IMG_20160913_171334 (resized).jpgIMG_20160913_171334 (resized).jpg
13355642_1006109776163552_41866905_n (resized).jpg13355642_1006109776163552_41866905_n (resized).jpg

#2254 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

You know what? There's no pleasing Pinside.

Respectfully, I get tired of reading/hearing this statement. Even Stern employees will say this if you get them off to the side and talk. Everyone needs to stop minimizing feedback.

Go to ESPN or any other website with social message boards and you'll have debates - pro and con on everything! Like to remind you, even back in the day of America's founding fathers - they didn't have social media but they had assembly halls where there were always public debates on everything. Ancient Greece, the same! That's life people. You don't like to hear complaining then stay in your game room and don't come online. Debate has been part of history since the beginning.

I've seen MANY threads on pinside where the community has rejoiced over completed code (MET, TWD, and even that they released some AVG not too long ago), new releases (GB has been very well received until issues), new companies and products. Hell, even charity movements have graced these pages. Many of those threads, I saw a "pleasing Pinside".

I've stepped away from some threads that get irrational and too negative with no constructive suggestions - to me. I suggest some of you do the same. But for those that care to continue to assemble, debate on. You're not whining, you're voicing your opinion.

#2255 7 years ago

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen

There will be NO Pro, as this is not one of the 3 cornerstone games we make each year.

We will begin manufacture of Limited Editions in November, following with Premiums for the rest of this year and more Premiums next year.

You will not receive a new model cornerstone game, with Pro, Premium and LE versions, until after the first of next year.

So there you have it

#2256 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen
There will be NO Pro, as this is not one of the 3 cornerstone games we make each year.

We will begin manufacture of Limited Editions in November, following with Premiums for the rest of this year and more Premiums next year.

You will not receive a new model cornerstone game, with Pro, Premium and LE versions, until after the first of next year.
So there you have it

What were the three cornerstone games this year? Wasn't Ghostbusters the only "cornerstone" game announced in 2016 so far? GoT was announced and shipping in 2015. Are they doing the other two "cornerstone" pins in the last 3 months of the year?

#2257 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You mean like Gary Stern and Ka-Pow ! Pinball ?
LTG : )

It can be taken many ways, and each has merit. There are many new things going on here for Stern at least. For me, I was most interested in seeing Stern doing a fringe theme, something they haven't done in a long time. To do it with BM66 they make small amounts at a higher price, giving the enthusiast, buyer and everyone more opportunities. It's a very specialized theme. Not for me either, but wow, if BM66 is successful for Stern it would be great to get more fringe themes made into machines. Would be great. Price may be less than optimal, but that's a separate conversation for me.

#2258 7 years ago

i'm curious about the reveal to see if there is anything mechanically new here, but otherwise, I can feel myself drifting into "I don't care" land.

#2259 7 years ago

IMG_1021 (resized).JPGIMG_1021 (resized).JPG

#2260 7 years ago

How F ing dare Ferrari!!! Making 799 LE's celebrating 60 years of doing business in the US. WTF is going on. I'm outraged

http://auto.ferrari.com/en_US/sports-cars-models/car-range/f12tdf/

#2261 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

they're now in 24" to 29" wheeled sizes (instead of 20") so folks can obtain their childhood grails & actually fit on em!

Exactly

(and yes it comes with an actual chainsaw)

IMG_0013 (resized).jpgIMG_0013 (resized).jpg

22 (resized).jpg22 (resized).jpg

#2262 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Taking a look at this 2017 Yamaha FZ-10 you can just look at this machine and think, wow, there are some expensive parts on this machine and it probably cost a pretty penny in parts and labor to assemble it.

Comparing a Stern pinball machine, made by a tiny manufacturer in very small numbers - less than 4,000 probably - to a production bike made by one of the largest manufacturers in the world that is probably going to make 50,000-100,000 bikes isn't fair to Stern. They have a much smaller run and don't have thousands of other product lines to offset development and production costs with.

#2263 7 years ago

It's shame the LCD didn't make it into TWD and GOT, two other Aristocrat slots.

http://www.aristocrat-us.com/gaming-operations

Having recently played the Batman slot machine and getting to see the video clips that are going into the game, it's gonna be very cool.

Mix in voice work by Adam West and Burt Ward and Stern's 30th anniversary should be a special pin. They have set expectations sky high and I'm betting they deliver on this one.

The wheel on the slot make its way into the pin?

#2264 7 years ago

I have an LE , what the worst thing that could happen ? I hate it, sell it for a small loss. How is that worse than what happened to all of the buyers of MM, MB , CC , ect that paid thousands of dollars more than the remakes. It's a hobby,
buy what trips your trigger.

#2265 7 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

Hopefully Homepin can get mass production on line and put some price pressure on them.

What is the MSRP on the Thunderbirds pinball machine and when is the delivery date of their first machine to those who preordered and paid in full back in 2013?

Quoted from SimonBaird:

Homepin can really put pressure on especially once they have their core component manufacturing completed. I would say they would be aiming for less then 5000usd maybe even as low as 4000usd. However I still think that for companies such as homepin or even spooky to really take it to stern they need to have a strong design and programming team in place. I belive homepin will be able to get the manufacturing side right, they are already shipping multiple containers of cocktail tables a month, so they know how to get product out the door. However one of the main reason stern is so popular is they have great designs in Borg,Ritchie , Treaudu plus some amazing programmers such as Lyman. Just like with the golden days of Williams/Bally, the really key is game design and rules. If these companies only try and develop games with their own in house design teams, then unless they have the next undiscovered Lawlor or Ritchie working for them, there is a good chance the games won't threaten Stern. We hear a lot of people say "making pinball is hard" maybe they should also say "designing and coding pinball is hard".

When every person that either paid in full or via deposits has their preordered machine delivered then we'll revisit this subject.

Until then it's little more than whiteboarding.

To put it into comparable perspective for you with an established longstanding pinball manufacturer such as Stern, their Chinese programmer died onsite a few months ago and their first announced and yet to be manufactured machine designer's identity has been hidden behind a bamboo curtain for the last three plus years.

#2266 7 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

I have an LE , what the worst thing that could happen ? I hate it, sell it for a small loss. How is that worse than what happened to all of the buyers of MM, MB , CC , ect that paid thousands of dollars more than the remakes. It's a hobby,
buy what trips your trigger.

Are you sure the loss will only be small? You're thinking of the hits. I think you'll be fine, but there are plenty of examples where pins that were supposed to do well didn't.

You really want to know the worst that could happen? WWE LE.

Boom. Mike drop.

#2267 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What about the whole top secret no-pictures thing ?

I agree it is somewhat odd, but it doesn't bother me because I was never going to buy a game until I played it anyway. I could see why it would be very troubling to the LE buyers who need to act fast or miss out, but again that's not my market segment.

#2268 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I'll give Gary a lot of credit where others won't. He kept the lights on. He kept producing. He stayed with DMD design while everyone complained but kept things going. Enter new outside investors - now cost cutting. That's ok if tech innovation, less parts. But no playfield rails, apparently switching vendors and in turn creating quality control issues, shakers removed from premium/LEs, etc.. You're letting the new investor direct you too far from your vision, your name, your legacy just for the bottom line. You don't need to apologize for trying to create more revenue/profitability. But there's a right way - the way Stern was built - and the wrong way, trying to create dollars instead of pinball machines to amuse.

You are missing the part where the 'Stern way' was failing and on the brink of shutdown. The whole reason the new investor was taken on was to save the ship. You are romanticizing while ignoring the impending doom that forced the change. Gary's way had kept the lights on, but had not saved the company in the long run.

#2269 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

This must be what Frolic & Ice think every time Stern rolls out a new title

#2270 7 years ago

So Homepin is going to make great pinball for $4k-$5k and bury Stern and everybody else? rotflmao

Who does this sound like?

"Our goal and sole aim at Homepin is to get the machines finished and running - I don't like paperwork or accounting so that comes LAST as far as I am concerned! LOL."

#2271 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen

Historically Stern shows up with a new game at CES first week of January.

#2272 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So Homepin is going to make great pinball for $4k-$5k and bury Stern and everybody else? rotflmao
"Our goal and sole aim at Homepin is to get the machines finished and running - I don't like paperwork or accounting so that comes LAST as far as I am concerned! LOL."

I will say their website doesn't inspire much confidence.

#2273 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Historically Stern shows up with a new game at CES first week of January.

So that means only one "cornerstone" game, not three, for 2016 - Ghostbusters.

I have to think they'll try to make up by doing 4 in 2017/2018 to pick up the slack, or outright cut rumored pins that would probably be dogs like Aerosmith.

#2274 7 years ago

Not sure why'd they'd declare "3" cornerstone games per year, as you are correct, they did not have that many in 2016. The factory has barely been able to get out orders as it stands so why add new titles to the mix.

Even the Batman announcement, seemed a little rushed, fueled by the 30th anniversary party and Adam West signing. I suspect if that wasn't on the calendar we wouldn't have had the announcement yet.

#2275 7 years ago
#2276 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You are missing the part where the 'Stern way' was failing and on the brink of shutdown. The whole reason the new investor was taken on was to save the ship. You are romanticizing while ignoring the impending doom that forced the change. Gary's way had kept the lights on, but had not saved the company in the long run.

Respectfully, you're also missing the part where it coincided with the recession impacting all american businesses. No romanticizing, the investor was necessary to help Stern get through tough times like many other businesses required.

Since neither of us had a seat in Stern's conference room to review financials and which decisions led to what outcomes, let's neither of us pretend we know more than anyone else in this thread. Investor seemed to help Stern. But Gary has years of industry experience manufacturing games. That counts for more than you're willing to give him credit for.

#2277 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Agree with the first sentence, I disagree with the rest. What makes pinball a great hobby imo is that there are several facets to it. Some like buying/fixing older machines, some just like playing, not even owning. Some are into the competitive aspects, some like buying NIB and modding. Some people like mixing up all of the aspects. I guess I could be categorized as a "NIB slut" as I like the experience of buying NIB, and I like the features and complexity of newer pins than older, although I have owned and fixed up some older pins in the past. But if it wasn't for us "NIB sluts", there wouldn't be several companies building new pins and parts for the "masterpieces of old" would be getting harder and harder to find instead of easier.
The hobby is about whatever someone who is interested in pins is interested about and it all contributes.

See, back in the day for us old schoolers, this really wasn't an option. If you didn't know how to fix your own stuff, you were not playing. You didn't have parts, so you would have to buy or find 2 or 3 versions of the game and combine to try and save 1. You guys today, have it easy and don't even know. NIB was for operators. Very rarely was it for home collectors. We would buy the reasonable priced stuff that was on route, and make it nice again. That's all we had to go on. You couldn't get into this hobby without knowledge or the ability to want to know. That's why we have so many unknowledgeable people in the hobby now, it's more about throwing cash around, than understanding how things really work, or the real art of it all.

#2278 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yep they are doing just fine "now", but that can change really fast. Pissing off your customers is a really bad idea trust me. No business is too big to fail, especially a pinball manufacturer.

Pissing your customers off by offering a 30th anniversary pin that cost more than normal?

Oh, the HORROR!

#2279 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I'm losing interest in Stern.
Anyone else?

Nope.

#2280 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Pricing is insane. JJP could come out with game #3 at 7k and do some serious damage to Stern.

Not with their normal 3 year wait.....

#2281 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

See, back in the day for us old schoolers

Old Man!

#2282 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Comparing a Stern pinball machine, made by a tiny manufacturer in very small numbers - less than 4,000 probably - to a production bike made by one of the largest manufacturers in the world that is probably going to make 50,000-100,000 bikes isn't fair to Stern.

I think you vastly overestimate the number of motorcycles Yamaha makes.
Sales data for ALL motorcycles sold in the US in 2015 was only slightly over half a million. Yamaha was a small piece of that. Each model they produced was a small piece of their small piece. It's very possible any one model of motorcycle sold less than ten thousand units per year.

#2283 7 years ago

Thats because you're a <1 yr member

Unless you were someone else before?

#2284 7 years ago

I think the whole 18 month sell back to Stern is just hilarious.

Are they going to give you fair market value for the game?
Will they give you what you paid for it?
If the game bombs, will people try and sell it back to them and be pissed when they pass?
Since your selling it back to them, do they pay the shipping costs?
Do they want my Kiss LE back?

#2285 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I think the whole 18 month sell back to Stern is just hilarious.
Are they going to give you fair market value for the game?
Will they give you what you paid for it?
If the game bombs, will people try and sell it back to them and be pissed when they pass?
Since your selling it back to them, do they pay the shipping costs?
Do they want my Kiss LE back?

I was actually thinking the same thing. If they would buy the game back for costs + shipping within 18 month, in theory you could own it for a year, have them pick it up again, get paid and it wouldn't cost you a penny. Pretty sure that won't happen, but it did make me wonder.

As for when the market will correct itself: as soon as a manufacturer that can build a fun and challenging game at a reasonable price in high quantities with a proper distribution network. The operators market is up for grabs. First one with a game that costs less than Stern's Pros and makes more money has a future.

#2286 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Homepin on its own is not going to challenge Stern as a designer/builder of pins. But think of Homepin differently.

He has a factory in China and a complete supply chain put together from local (Chinese) suppliers with hardware that Homepin has designed. His first game will demonstrate his ability to use all of this to produce working games built entirely in his factory, with his hardware from his suppliers. If he were to partner with someone doing design and software and he did the manufacturing things could get quite interesting.

#2287 7 years ago

Who the hell is homepin and where can I buy one of their machines please.

#2288 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

See, back in the day for us old schoolers, this really wasn't an option. If you didn't know how to fix your own stuff, you were not playing. You didn't have parts, so you would have to buy or find 2 or 3 versions of the game and combine to try and save 1. You guys today, have it easy and don't even know. NIB was for operators. Very rarely was it for home collectors. We would buy the reasonable priced stuff that was on route, and make it nice again. That's all we had to go on. You couldn't get into this hobby without knowledge or the ability to want to know. That's why we have so many unknowledgeable people in the hobby now, it's more about throwing cash around, than understanding how things really work, or the real art of it all.

Well said. Many of the post-2011 collectors come from a completely different style of "doing this hobby". "Back in the day", NIB Sterns were barely relevant. Sure, every so often someone had an LOTR or TSPP because of their great (deserved) reputation...but even so, collectors would curmudgeonly own them & complain about how Stern's were cheap, clunky, had bad photoshop art, had low res dotty printing, thinner plastic, etc etc. Most people with Stern pins got them cheap at auctions or on Craigslist. POTC seems to be when collectors started taking Stern a bit more seriously, as they finally had a great toy that rivaled B/W, a theme their family dug & the SAM system finally had Stern's sounding and playing more like B/W. Spider-Man also got collectors into Stern with Ritchie/Lyman kicking ass and a loved theme.

But yeah - part of having a pin collection was FIXING stuff! Learning from friends. Learning from online guides. Helping others. This whole "buy all NIB!" was NOT how hobbying went. Bringing games back from the dead felt good. Fixing your own issues felt good. Playing a game you did a kick ass fix/tweak/restore was extremely satisfying!!!

#2289 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're REALLY new to buying pins, right? Cause it's certainly looking that way.
Stern is/was having issues with the playfields. You (among others) have been promised a complete replacement.
So now, to come on here and post that "NIB purchases are risky now with questionable build quality..." is complete horseshit.
You're SO ignorant to buying pinball machines, that you keep stating that you're going to be JJP exclusive from now on.
You know what? WoZ is the only machine I ever bought that STARTED SMOKING and burned itself out THE DAY I GOT IT HOME.
Jack was awesome, and agreed to replace it with another NIB WoZ, and the team at JJP was great to deal with, but the point is, ALL PINBALL MANUFACTURERS HAVE ISSUES. Nobody is going to get things right all the time.
Heighway Pinball's Full Throttle was a complete bust too! Once again, they agreed that the one I got was a dud, and I got a full refund.
So nothing against these other manufacturers, but quality control isn't a Stern-only issue.
The important matter is whether a company backs its products or not.
At the moment, Stern seems to be the only company that's dealing with playfield issues, but rumour has it that even that has been resolved. Time will tell of course, but I'm betting this is now a thing of the past.
With respect to your comment about the "application form", once again you seem to take everything to the extreme in order to make Stern look as bad as possible.
Stern decided to make 30 very limited edition versions of their newest pin. It would appear as though they made more than they could sell to their closest friends at the price point, so they decided to sell the left overs to the public.
Now, they have only a few (30 at most). So how should they decide who gets them?
Someone could easily come along and buy one up, then flip it for more money, knowing they're in limited supply. Then you'd have true blue Stern/Batman fans crying about how they're being gouged for a game they should have been able to buy themselves. Stern wasn't pleased to see that in the past with Metallica so they've decided to do something a little different this time.
But again, Pinsiders all start to bitch and moan, claiming that they're insulted at what's taken place.
You know what? There's no pleasing Pinside. Look around. CrazyLevi is quite possibly the most vocal Pinsider on the Ghostbusters thread, and he HATES the game. It's a perfect example of the mentality that's considered "normal" around here.
Honestly, and without prejudice: sell your game and go buy a motorcycle if that's what you prefer. I was at a friends place last night for dinner and we all (wives included) played a bunch of Sterns newest games afterward. Nobody complained about ghosting inserts, or the price of the games, or any of the bullshit that's constantly brought up on here. You know why? Because the majority of it doesn't matter. If my friend and I don't buy a Batman, or an LE, or an SLE, then what difference does their application process make?
It will all boil down to whether or not its a fun game with good code. If it's as fun as ACDC, or Metallica, or GoT, or Ghostbusters, or Walking Dead, then we'll probably buy one, even if at the increased prices.
Anyway, I'm probably just adding more fuel to the "crazy-fire" by sharing my thoughts but it's honestly time y'all STFU and either dropped the hobby or just turned off your computers and played the pinballs you have that you like playing.
The constant non-ending whining is so anti-pinball, you look pathetic for remaining a part of a hobby that clearly makes you all so unhappy!
I'd love to stick around and throw more stones, but I have to go clean up a little, and then squeeze in a few games of Walking Dead before heading to a friends place tonight to play GBLE. Sure hope our evening isn't ruined by application forms!

Why is it horse shit for KPG to come on here and say NIB Sterns are risky and have questionable build quality? Isnt that an accurate statement with all of the bad playfields and other problems that people have been having lately? Have you seen his playfield by any chance??? Now if his playfield was an isolated issue then yeah I would agree with you, but its a very BIG problem actually. Yes Stern said they are going to make it right and send him a new playfield, and they should, but that still doesn't change the fact that there's alot of unhappy GB owners that have spent big money on a game thats falling apart. How would you like to spend 8K on a pin with a bad playfield and have to wait months for a replacement? What if you bought a new car and the motor blew up and GM said "we will put a new engine in your car in 6 months, dont worry" I bet you would be bitching and saying GM sucks etc.

Just because they're fixing his machine doesn't mean that the quality is good and that he doesn't have the right to complain about it. I dont personally think Stern machines are bad quality. I think they made a bad decision to save money and switch playfield manufacturers and it bit them in the ass. All manufacturing processes suffer quality issues from time to time, I just hope they have it resolved. There is no excuse however for some of these machines leaving the factory with problems that should have been caught by their workers. Thats a little concerning, it tells me that they have no pride in their jobs.

#2290 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Thats because you're a <1 yr member
Unless you were someone else before?

Hondanut maybe?

#2291 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Who the hell is homepin and where can I buy one of their machines please.

https://www.google.com/?client=safari&channel=mac_bm#channel=mac_bm&q=homepin+pinball

#2292 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Fixing your own issues felt good. Playing a game you did a kick ass fix/tweak/restore was extremely satisfying!!!

What do you mean WAS? It still is.

#2294 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Homepin on its own is not going to challenge Stern as a designer/builder of pins. But think of Homepin differently.
He has a factory in China and a complete supply chain put together from local (Chinese) suppliers with hardware that Homepin has designed. His first game will demonstrate his ability to use all of this to produce working games built entirely in his factory, with his hardware from his suppliers. If he were to partner with someone doing design and software and he did the manufacturing things could get quite interesting.

But if he can't manage to do even a passable website, it really doesn't instill much confidence in the rest of the operation. That website is borderline atrocious.

#2295 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Bringing games back from the dead felt good.

It still does!

#2296 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

If he were to partner with someone doing design and software and he did the manufacturing things could get quite interesting.

JPop sounds like a good fit. Magic Girl, RAZA and AIW ready to be revived?

Neither one of them likes paperwork or accounting.

I don't see pins on route as a booming and growing business. Maybe in a few locations. I don't care how much they cost. Still gotta fix and maintain them.

Ops are raking in $$ with Key masters and other rigged games like that, not pinball, in general.

#2297 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Respectfully, you're also missing the part where it coincided with the recession impacting all american businesses. No romanticizing, the investor was necessary to help Stern get through tough times like many other businesses required.
Since neither of us had a seat in Stern's conference room to review financials and which decisions led to what outcomes, let's neither of us pretend we know more than anyone else in this thread. Investor seemed to help Stern. But Gary has years of industry experience manufacturing games. That counts for more than you're willing to give him credit for.

He's also the guy who for the last 15 plus years told everyone it was impossible for anyone else to be able to make pinball machines... That the market could not support more than one pinball company... And until people finally split away from him and proved all his predictions wrong... Wasn't ever going to change.

He would not evolve and his theory of business for pinball was not going anywhere. It wasn't till real competition and new thinking forced his hand did they change. And there have been plenty of sources that have said Gary has been moved to figurehead.

#2298 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're REALLY new to buying pins, right? Cause it's certainly looking that way.
Stern is/was having issues with the playfields. You (among others) have been promised a complete replacement.
So now, to come on here and post that "NIB purchases are risky now with questionable build quality..." is complete horseshit.
You're SO ignorant to buying pinball machines, that you keep stating that you're going to be JJP exclusive from now on.
You know what? WoZ is the only machine I ever bought that STARTED SMOKING and burned itself out THE DAY I GOT IT HOME.
Jack was awesome, and agreed to replace it with another NIB WoZ, and the team at JJP was great to deal with, but the point is, ALL PINBALL MANUFACTURERS HAVE ISSUES. Nobody is going to get things right all the time.
Heighway Pinball's Full Throttle was a complete bust too! Once again, they agreed that the one I got was a dud, and I got a full refund.
So nothing against these other manufacturers, but quality control isn't a Stern-only issue.
The important matter is whether a company backs its products or not.
At the moment, Stern seems to be the only company that's dealing with playfield issues, but rumour has it that even that has been resolved. Time will tell of course, but I'm betting this is now a thing of the past.
With respect to your comment about the "application form", once again you seem to take everything to the extreme in order to make Stern look as bad as possible.
Stern decided to make 30 very limited edition versions of their newest pin. It would appear as though they made more than they could sell to their closest friends at the price point, so they decided to sell the left overs to the public.
Now, they have only a few (30 at most). So how should they decide who gets them?
Someone could easily come along and buy one up, then flip it for more money, knowing they're in limited supply. Then you'd have true blue Stern/Batman fans crying about how they're being gouged for a game they should have been able to buy themselves. Stern wasn't pleased to see that in the past with Metallica so they've decided to do something a little different this time.
But again, Pinsiders all start to bitch and moan, claiming that they're insulted at what's taken place.
You know what? There's no pleasing Pinside. Look around. CrazyLevi is quite possibly the most vocal Pinsider on the Ghostbusters thread, and he HATES the game. It's a perfect example of the mentality that's considered "normal" around here.
Honestly, and without prejudice: sell your game and go buy a motorcycle if that's what you prefer. I was at a friends place last night for dinner and we all (wives included) played a bunch of Sterns newest games afterward. Nobody complained about ghosting inserts, or the price of the games, or any of the bullshit that's constantly brought up on here. You know why? Because the majority of it doesn't matter. If my friend and I don't buy a Batman, or an LE, or an SLE, then what difference does their application process make?
It will all boil down to whether or not its a fun game with good code. If it's as fun as ACDC, or Metallica, or GoT, or Ghostbusters, or Walking Dead, then we'll probably buy one, even if at the increased prices.
Anyway, I'm probably just adding more fuel to the "crazy-fire" by sharing my thoughts but it's honestly time y'all STFU and either dropped the hobby or just turned off your computers and played the pinballs you have that you like playing.
The constant non-ending whining is so anti-pinball, you look pathetic for remaining a part of a hobby that clearly makes you all so unhappy!
I'd love to stick around and throw more stones, but I have to go clean up a little, and then squeeze in a few games of Walking Dead before heading to a friends place tonight to play GBLE. Sure hope our evening isn't ruined by application forms!

Thanks for the great story, I hope you releasing all that aggression and anger when writing that long post has affected your life in a positive way. Take some deep breaths... now release.

#2299 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Thanks for the great story, I hope you releasing all that aggression and anger when writing that long post has affected your life in a positive way. Take some deep breaths... now release.

I bet he was bangin the hell out of that keyboard as he was typing. He probably was huffing and puffing and had sweat dripping off of his forehead and everything lol.

#2300 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I bet he was bangin the hell out of that keyboard as he was typing. He probably was huffing and puffing and had sweat dripping off of his forehead and everything lol.

Seriously man, I feel bad for his keyboard right now, it took quite the beating!

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 142.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-by-stern-new-info/page/46 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.