• Halle Barry 155 votes
    41%
  • Lee Meriwether 171 votes
    45%
  • Eartha Kitt 50 votes
    13%

(376 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 969 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3945 (resized).JPG
IMG_8821 (resized).JPG
20170111_211313 (resized).jpg
IMG_8785 (resized).JPG
IMG_8580 (resized).JPG
PhotoGrid_1484104656883 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104697396 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104747814 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104994689 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7100 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 142.
#2201 4 years ago

Dupe dee doo dee do

#2202 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Any way, this is an example of what a $12-15K product should be. Not a Batman pinball machine, sorry.

Yep. On the other end this is an example of what $2700 can get you new, and just as much fun! I just wish my cape would stop getting tangled in the rear wheel.

20160918_113612 (resized).jpg

#2203 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you know there are things to enjoy and buy that is not NIB. In fact, the older stuff and the enjoyment of restoring and making a rough game, look and play like new is what this hobby has been about for the last 2 decades. I know a majority on here are just NIB sluts and don't care about anything they can't bling out with a shitton of mods, but thats not what this hobby was about. Enjoy the masterpieces of old and the hobby is a lot more rewarding.

I'm with you on this man. My next pin wont be new in box unless its a JJP machine (assuming they dont raise prices either!)

I think I want to go with some older titles next, and opt out of NIB's. NIB purchases are risky now with questionable build quality, and lack of prompt return policies and warranty remediation. It is seriously a lotto play at this point. Who wants to drop $8K, let alone up to $15K for a surprise brown box that you cross your fingers and "hope" you get a good example out of the box? Now they want an application for this "opportunity" to play the quality control lotto? F**K that, sorry.

When you approach $10,000 or even $15,000 for a toy, you shouldn't need to cross your fingers you get a quality product brand new out of the box. If you dont? You have to escalate to the owner of the company and be told it will take months to get a replacement playfield, and nothing in writing.. just once again 'hoping' it all works out.

This is not to toot my horn, brag, or pat myself on the back- but I can afford those new higher prices and could drop the coin on NIB's still if I wanted.. that's not the problem. The problem is at these prices I would not be getting a product worth the asking price, and I refuse to pay more for the same thing but at a price that is clearly only putting more money in the pockets of a company just "because" - while offering the same product. Nope, I draw the line somewhere. If I blew money on overpriced products then I wouldn't be where I am financially to even be in the position to own a single pinball machine to begin with.

The window sticker price doesn't match the product it's on anymore Stern, sorry.

#2205 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you know there are things to enjoy and buy that is not NIB. In fact, the older stuff and the enjoyment of restoring and making a rough game, look and play like new is what this hobby has been about for the last 2 decades. I know a majority on here are just NIB sluts and don't care about anything they can't bling out with a shitton of mods, but thats not what this hobby was about. Enjoy the masterpieces of old and the hobby is a lot more rewarding.

Agree with the first sentence, I disagree with the rest. What makes pinball a great hobby imo is that there are several facets to it. Some like buying/fixing older machines, some just like playing, not even owning. Some are into the competitive aspects, some like buying NIB and modding. Some people like mixing up all of the aspects. I guess I could be categorized as a "NIB slut" as I like the experience of buying NIB, and I like the features and complexity of newer pins than older, although I have owned and fixed up some older pins in the past. But if it wasn't for us "NIB sluts", there wouldn't be several companies building new pins and parts for the "masterpieces of old" would be getting harder and harder to find instead of easier.

The hobby is about whatever someone who is interested in pins is interested about and it all contributes.

#2206 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Prices of pinball machines have now gone to the extreme phase, and are only exploiting those upper ends of the collectors market while subsequently telling less financially fortunate hobbyists that they dont have the money to buy their products any more. I get you dont "need to buy" - but the sad thing is many people would love to buy it, but they simply cannot afford the machines at these new inflated profit margins at Stern. They are only allowing the upper end of the successful pinball collector now, where you can only collect if you are rich enough. That sucks as we know Stern isn't putting more money into the machines - if anything they are now saving cash on the bill of materials - but are only raising prices because they are now targeting the richer end of the collectors.
At the end of the day you they are just alienating their core group to line their pockets with more cash, while offering the same if not cheaper built product. Just look at the recent playfield issues and the fact they wanted to save money with the Spike system by putting the power switch in the backbox... then they jack the prices up.

I suppose. But really buying NIB has always been about the rich, at least comparatively. I have very few friends who would even consider dropping 4k on a new pin or even 1k on a used pin. They have to buy groceries and make house payments. Prices are just going beyond another tier and is impacting more people.

The Batman66 stuff is definitely priced out of my range of acceptability, but it may not matter to Stern. If the added $1000.00 on the Premium is pure profit, and let's say for argument they were making $1000.00 in profit on the Premium already, then they have doubled the profit per machine. They can sell half as many and make the same amount. Half as many means fewer bitchy customers, fewer machines to support and build all for the same cash. As long as they have enough whales to buy the LEs and Premiums what you and I bitch about may not cause them to lose any sleep at all.

#2207 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There are already 3 Star Wars pins (4 if you count the Hankin one) and no one cares.

They are all meh ...so a great one Will be surely a must have

#2208 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

When you approach $10,000 or even $15,000 for a toy, you shouldn't need to cross your fingers you get a quality product brand new out of the box. If you dont? You have to escalate to the owner of the company and be told it will take months to get a replacement playfield, and nothing in writing.. just once again 'hoping' it all works out.

This is exactly right...we have lots of enablers in this hobby, I'm glad to see you understand the issue, even though you can afford to buy 3 of them. It's the principal. What are you getting in this game that's 2x better than the last LE? Does have gold plated armor? Does it have a super sophisticated animatronic toy? NO! It's just a limited number. They're trying to (excuse the pun) game us. The outrage here is well deserved, it's no different than a drug company raising it's prices for the same drug they've been selling for a decade 1000%.

#2209 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Any way, this is an example of what a $12-15K product should be. Not a Batman pinball machine, sorry.

I'd also like to argue you can buy a brand new ford fiesta (out the door with tax) for $15k
Ford_Fiesta_ST_(9913711886) (resized).jpg

Yes I know it's not a limited anything, but think about what it takes to build a car.. EPA regulations, crash testing, every part has to pass strict automotive regulations because people's lives are at stake if there's even a software glitch. If there ARE any issues (including cosmetic that affects many cars) a recall is issued and the cars is fixed at a dealer.

#2210 4 years ago

Ha ha - I once referred to myself as a "B/W whore".

#2211 4 years ago

I suppose the next step for Stern is to ask the distributors to fullfill customers files with their annual revenue and a copy of their income tax

#2212 4 years ago

Maybe Stern has shifted to the 80/20 rule

80% of profits come from 20% of their customers. No that can't be it

Maybe 80% of the complaints come from 20% of the people.

Maybe they just don't give a F about bitching about PF, QC or prices

The orders don't seem to be slowing down. Maybe that is about to change

We will see with Star Wars

At least you have great choices now. Heighway, JJP and Spooky

Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head

#2213 4 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

...lucky to break even or make very little when selling.

When your used, years old product sells for more money on the secondary market good business sense says it's priced too low.
Any business has financial incentive to price their item as high as possible and still sell all they make.

If you make money selling your used game you're telling the manufacturer they can make more money by raising prices. The typical user doesn't add value to a game just by setting it up and playing it for a few years.

#2214 4 years ago

With every one swearing off Stern and the ones who do buy these over priced pins, it will pretty much be like people who blow their load on a fancy house but do not have any money to put furniture in it. Heck after market pinball companies will start to struggle because no one can afford to add mods their machines too, LOL

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 2.37.34 PM (resized).png

#2215 4 years ago

I have a feeling that this game will have an extra toy or two that Stern uses to justify their prices (and the color LCDs). $50 more in toys, thousands more in price. People will be blinded...again. Watch and see when pictures and the matrix is released. People will be tripping over themselves to buy.

#2216 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Huh? Inferior playfields.....sucking Sterns farts??? I have no idea what you're drinking but I'd love to have a swig lol.

Dude I am talking about an inferior playfield in the sense that if you don't go for an LE or premium major game play elements are removed all together ie the metallica hammer and other toys, tron el wire and drop targets and on and on.

Hey you want the sinking pirate ship in POTC then it will be 2000 more

#2217 4 years ago

Too funny.. people have crazy gamerooms lined with LE games like xmen, avengers, TF, etc.. with thousands dumped into things like TOPPERS and bling.. and now people are talking about things being too expensive. *snicker*

#2218 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

When your used, years old product sells for more money on the secondary market good business sense says it's priced too low.
Any business has financial incentive to price their item as high as possible and still sell all they make.
If you make money selling your used game you're telling the manufacturer they can make more money by raising prices. The typical user doesn't add value to a game just by setting it up and playing it for a few years.

Ya but everyone buys sight unseen hoping they will hit it big. Why else would everyone trip over themselves to buy a game they have never seen or played. Everyone is hoping for the next BBB or BIB etc.

Old games went up in value because they went out of production. Now No games go up in value, just unseen nib prices go up

#2219 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I have a feeling that this game will have an extra toy or two that Stern uses to justify their prices (and the color LCDs). $50 more in toys, thousands more in price. People will be blinded...again. Watch and see when pictures and the matrix is released. People will be tripping over themselves to buy.

What's the point? Good marketing, stupid buyers?

I don't see pinball buyers as generally stupid. Maybe making stupid decisions from time to time, myself included.

Not that it matters to me but I've made $$ selling the pins I've sold.

And I just let RZ go back rather than sell it for a profit because I view this as just a hobby. An expensive one for sure, but a fun one!

Maybe what this is all about is people rushing to buy a pinball machine that everybody wants and flip it for big bucks.

After GB and RZ those days are over, get used to it

You can blame Stern all you want, but people are gonna buy what they want, until they don't want it anymore

As for BM66LE, I'm buying because I love the theme and I grew up with it. Plus is has the first LCD from Stern which I put a big value on.

And there are only 240 of them, like it or not, it's "collectible"

While I respect everybody's opinion and can see where they are at, I personally don't give a F what anybody else thinks about my purchase decision

#2220 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

weather is bad in ny today. been in the gameroom mostly all morning. what was i playing?
black hole, twilight zone, space station.
havent played any my stern les all week.
i had a buddy come over yesterday to play gb le and he could believe all the issues on it. he is thinking of getting a premium.
bad qc will/could destroy a company.
i have to rethink the stern nib purchases.
i admit i am dying to see bm 66 though.

#2221 4 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

They are all meh ...so a great one Will be surely a must have

That's my point. No one knows if a game is great when they pre-order, like right now with B66. No one even knows what it is. They're buying based on theme and fake-rarity. If the Star Wars theme is so strong for pinball, Star Wars fans would want the existing games despite the gameplay. But, they don't. I'm not sure why - but Star Wars doesn't equal instant pinball success for some reason.

#2222 4 years ago

People often say stern saved Pinball...

I think they'll ultimately be a part of its death. I've bought NIB Sterns... I love playing their games... but they are about to destroy the dynamics of the collecting world and, in particular, the balance among Pinball manufacturers.

This year marks the first time that I've read about a Stern release and thought "I don't care." And the truth is, Stern is making me not care. They are in the process of biting the hand that feeds them.

They can go for it... no skin off my back... and people can line-up with money in hand for games they haven't even played... no skin off my back, again.

I love playing pins... love buying and restoring... have enjoyed several NIB purchases... but I'm not going to participate in this cash grab frenzy. Stern is creating a market of exclusivity and Once the fad of barcades dies... more large coin op business phase out pins for things that actually earn, and collectors are tapped, what are they going to do? Drasticaly lower prices? Go out of business? Radically scale back and jack prices more?

The price hikes... forcing distro to have minimum pricing... smacking around the mod market... what a slap in the face to bulk of its customers

#2223 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I have to say that the price increase is extremely disappointing. For those saying this is a special release and the next game will go back to GB pricing you are fooling yourself. It feels like stern was holding back pricing while they developed their LCD and now that it is out they are going to match JJP or go past JJP in pricing. I expect that they listed BM as a special release with big pricing so that when the next game comes out they can decrease it $500 across each model compared to BM and people will be too dumb to notice it's still a huge price jump.

Well said. The only thing about Batman66 that really bothers me is seeing the increase in premium price. I don't care about LEs, super or otherwise, since that's not my market segment. I agree that its very unlikely the next premium will be all the way back down to GB pricing, Stern isn't going to give back all of that ground if these sell at the higher price.

If the real street price of Stern premiums continues to increase it will become harder to justify those purchases versus older used games, or possibly something from their competitors.

#2224 4 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

Well said. The only thing about Batman66 that really bothers me is seeing the increase in premium price. I don't care about LEs, super or otherwise, since that's not my market segment. I agree that its very unlikely the next premium will be all the way back down to GB pricing, Stern isn't going to give back all of that ground if these sell at the higher price.
If the real street price of Stern premiums continues to increase it will become harder to justify those purchases versus older used games, or possibly something from their competitors.

Yeah I think Stern is setting themselves up to have a big shock when they chase their buyers away. I think Star Wars will be priced too high but they will get the sales due to all the hype...then the next title I see them getting themselves into trouble but that is just my opinion.

#2225 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Yeah I think Stern is setting themselves up to have a big shock when they chase their buyers away. I think Star Wars will be priced too high but they will get the sales due to all the hype...then the next title I see them getting themselves into trouble but that is just my opinion.

People said the same thing when Harley Davidson keep raising prices.

I think now the Ultra Limited Low Harley is $30k.

If people keep buying them, of course HD will keep building them.

-

Same with Stern.

You guys keep buying them, of course Stern will keep building them........

#2226 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

yea, quit buying pinballs! Seriously though, how does the market correct itself? When buyers can't resell them at what they paid? Or perhaps the value goes down several hundred thousand less than what they paid? Whether you can afford something or not, even well off people hate losing money.

#2227 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Seriously though, how does the market correct itself?

The market is self-correcting.

At some point, the price will reach a ceiling where sales drop off. Stern will note that price and stay below it.

Right now, Stern has not found it's price ceiling, because you guys (the ones that actually buy new games, not the Pin-bitchers) keep gladly paying for each increase.

#2228 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Whether you can afford something or not, even well off people hate losing money.

Most well off people expect to lose money when selling a toy.

Though, most well off people I know don't sell their toys. Their collection just keeps growing whether it be pinball or automobiles.

#2229 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

People said the same thing when Harley Davidson keep raising prices.
I think now the Ultra Limited Low Harley is $30k.
If people keep buying them, of course HD will keep building them.
-
Same with Stern.

I've always thought of Harley and Stern as the same company in different markets. Stern just a few steps behind.

#2230 4 years ago

High Horse-Ummm Yea.jpg

High Horse.jpg

#2231 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Most well off people expect to lose money when selling a toy.
Though, most well off people I know don't sell their toys. Their collection just keeps growing whether it be pinball or automobiles.

So true. Pinball has been unique up until now. Buying a NIB toy then selling in a few months with almost no depreciation. Stern is currently testing exactly how much people are prepared to lose before saying enough is enough. I would guess there is a large portion of the market that won't be able to justify the acceptable loss that comes from buying and selling NIB toys. Their annual cost of being in the hobby might go from $1000 to $3000. This may be hard to justify. Which means they'll either drop out of the NIB market completely or buy significantly less of them to spread the loss over a longer time.

#2232 4 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

The only thing about Batman66 that really bothers me is seeing the increase in premium price.

What about the whole top secret no-pictures thing ?

#2233 4 years ago

Hate to say it... I don't agree with his personal attacks, but that podcaster that made some comments about this release and the state of pinball manufactures going for the $ jugular is pretty much spot on.

I actually had a similar reaction: while I really don't care... there is a part of me that feels sad. Just a few years ago, NIB pricing was what I would consider reasonable. Now, it's gotten absolutely obnoxious.

Someone above said: we created this...

#2234 4 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

Well said. The only thing about Batman66 that really bothers me is seeing the increase in premium price.

well you would have been bonkers to think Stern wasn't going to raise prices when the LCD came out. So this is kind of pretty well established a measurable price increase was coming. Some maybe didn't want to believe it.. but when Stern adds a big 'value add' feature (regardless if you think the BOM cost is lower).. they are going to charge for it.

#2235 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I think I want to go with some older titles next, and opt out of NIB's. NIB purchases are risky now with questionable build quality, and lack of prompt return policies and warranty remediation. It is seriously a lotto play at this point. Who wants to drop $8K, let alone up to $15K for a surprise brown box that you cross your fingers and "hope" you get a good example out of the box? Now they want an application for this "opportunity" to play the quality control lotto? F**K that, sorry.
The window sticker price doesn't match the product it's on anymore Stern, sorry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're REALLY new to buying pins, right? Cause it's certainly looking that way.
Stern is/was having issues with the playfields. You (among others) have been promised a complete replacement.
So now, to come on here and post that "NIB purchases are risky now with questionable build quality..." is complete horseshit.

You're SO ignorant to buying pinball machines, that you keep stating that you're going to be JJP exclusive from now on.
You know what? WoZ is the only machine I ever bought that STARTED SMOKING and burned itself out THE DAY I GOT IT HOME.
Jack was awesome, and agreed to replace it with another NIB WoZ, and the team at JJP was great to deal with, but the point is, ALL PINBALL MANUFACTURERS HAVE ISSUES. Nobody is going to get things right all the time.
Heighway Pinball's Full Throttle was a complete bust too! Once again, they agreed that the one I got was a dud, and I got a full refund.
So nothing against these other manufacturers, but quality control isn't a Stern-only issue.
The important matter is whether a company backs its products or not.
At the moment, Stern seems to be the only company that's dealing with playfield issues, but rumour has it that even that has been resolved. Time will tell of course, but I'm betting this is now a thing of the past.

With respect to your comment about the "application form", once again you seem to take everything to the extreme in order to make Stern look as bad as possible.
Stern decided to make 30 very limited edition versions of their newest pin. It would appear as though they made more than they could sell to their closest friends at the price point, so they decided to sell the left overs to the public.
Now, they have only a few (30 at most). So how should they decide who gets them?
Someone could easily come along and buy one up, then flip it for more money, knowing they're in limited supply. Then you'd have true blue Stern/Batman fans crying about how they're being gouged for a game they should have been able to buy themselves. Stern wasn't pleased to see that in the past with Metallica so they've decided to do something a little different this time.
But again, Pinsiders all start to bitch and moan, claiming that they're insulted at what's taken place.

You know what? There's no pleasing Pinside. Look around. CrazyLevi is quite possibly the most vocal Pinsider on the Ghostbusters thread, and he HATES the game. It's a perfect example of the mentality that's considered "normal" around here.

Honestly, and without prejudice: sell your game and go buy a motorcycle if that's what you prefer. I was at a friends place last night for dinner and we all (wives included) played a bunch of Sterns newest games afterward. Nobody complained about ghosting inserts, or the price of the games, or any of the bullshit that's constantly brought up on here. You know why? Because the majority of it doesn't matter. If my friend and I don't buy a Batman, or an LE, or an SLE, then what difference does their application process make?
It will all boil down to whether or not its a fun game with good code. If it's as fun as ACDC, or Metallica, or GoT, or Ghostbusters, or Walking Dead, then we'll probably buy one, even if at the increased prices.

Anyway, I'm probably just adding more fuel to the "crazy-fire" by sharing my thoughts but it's honestly time y'all STFU and either dropped the hobby or just turned off your computers and played the pinballs you have that you like playing.

The constant non-ending whining is so anti-pinball, you look pathetic for remaining a part of a hobby that clearly makes you all so unhappy!

I'd love to stick around and throw more stones, but I have to go clean up a little, and then squeeze in a few games of Walking Dead before heading to a friends place tonight to play GBLE. Sure hope our evening isn't ruined by application forms!

#2236 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you know there are things to enjoy and buy that is not NIB. In fact, the older stuff and the enjoyment of restoring and making a rough game...

I do realize pinball isn't 100% NIB.

But I'm not into older games. I've been visiting CP Pinball monthly for like 7 years so I've played the shit out of almost everything ever made.

I'm not into buying, selling, fixing, cleaning or restoring either. Forget that. To me playing is fun & fixing is not playing.

This is why I buy beer instead of brew it.

Take NIB away from pinball & I'm stuck buying broken or overpriced or overmodded shit from all you weird forum people

#2237 4 years ago

I know this is just special pricing for BM66, but I'm at the limit for premium pinball. I'm not going to pay over 7k for a pinball machine, I think it's pretty hard to justify as is. If the price goes up any further, then I guess I'm out of the NIB buying experience.

Fortunately at this point, I don't have much an interest for BM66 (would like to see photos though). I'm still waiting on my GB premium, which is taking forever and there's the question marks concerning Stern's quality.

#2238 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

but think about what it takes to build a car.

Robots.

#2239 4 years ago

Well, I wasted another check on this "Batman 66 by Stern New Info" thread looking for new info. It turns out this thread has become nothing but a pity party bitchfest. Keep generating your mighty, mighty rage and nash your teeth and render your garments if that's what makes you happy, but are you consistently doing this with the price increases in food, housing, cars, utilities, iPhones, etc, or is it just hobby stuff like pinball machines? If so, there's good news for you.....you don't have to buy one. Pinball machines are intangibles. Stern is not going to change their pricing strategy because of this thread. What I can't understand is why everyone is falling on their swords so emotionally for a game that while over priced, has sold out of LEs on a rumor, and the SLEs are out of most rational people's spending range due to common sense hopefully, but if not, due to disposable income. Soon a huge license such as SW will come out and there will be plenty of pros and other models to choose from. If the ultra limited games of BM66 had happened with SW I might see the point, but I really don't for a niche brand, nostalgia for a few older people, anniversary special game. Chill, have a drink, play some pinball, and relax. There's no need to go hari-kari for this first world problem toy. Now, back to what I thought this thread was about.....new BM66 info. Anybody got some?

#2240 4 years ago

Meanwhile, if you were absolutely thirsty for NIB pinball, MET pro stock is available and probably one of the best "deals" this side of 2013.
Oh well.

#2241 4 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I wasted another check on this "Batman 66 by Stern New Info" thread looking for new info.

I'd wait until October 16th in the evening.

LTG : )

#2243 4 years ago

All the hate is ridiculous. And funny. The keyboard warrior rage and hyperbole is very impressive. Pretty much the antithesis of the Pinside community rules too.

I don't see a BM66 theme game getting made unless it was a boutique edition. Seems to me that Stern has taken an opportunity to try something new. It looks like BM66 will be just fine from a success standpoint except for Pinside, which is a very small slice of the pie. I hope people like their pin and that it is good and fun. BM66 isn't a theme for me, but with this success I can think of more than a few other fringe themes that I would love to buy and would have enough support for a similar boutique edition. I look forward to reading the owners thread where I can get actual pinball info.

#2244 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Stern is creating a market of exclusivity and Once the fad of barcades dies... more large coin op business phase out pins for things that actually earn, and collectors are tapped, what are they going to do? Drasticaly ower prices? Go out of business? Radically scale back and jack prices more?
The price hikes... forcing distro to have minimum pricing... smacking around the mod market... what a slap in the face to bulk of its customers

Quoted from 27dnast:

I actually had a similar reaction: while I really don't care... there is a part of me that makes me feel sad. Just a few years ago, NIB pricing was what I would consider reasonable. Now, it's gotten absolutely obnoxious.

This and also what Neo stated earlier in this thread. The action figure market had a similar reaction. People collected action figures because they were cool, unique and some became rare because of it's lack of popularity or low production numbers. When toy companies noticed, they started mass re-producing the original figures (i.e. Planetary) and inserting themselves into the collectible market to "create" collectibles. It worked for a time. After original remakes, then came variants, different packaging, numbered with collector cards - people just started buying because of hype on "possible rarity". Then the bottom fell out. Why? Everyone realized they weren't rare, it was artificial. Plus, too many rare variants, people started running out of disposable money to spend on figures and "everything" was "a rare collectible". Comic books hit the same rise and fall - too many variants.

Money grab by manufacturers. Good small ball, bad for the long game. Stern is headed down the same path. Gomez has a toy background, history repeats. CFO has a collectible card background, history repeats. Learn don't repeat. Cash today won't be there tomorrow.

I'll give Gary a lot of credit where others won't. He kept the lights on. He kept producing. He stayed with DMD design while everyone complained but kept things going. Enter new outside investors - now cost cutting. That's ok if tech innovation, less parts. But no playfield rails, apparently switching vendors and in turn creating quality control issues, shakers removed from premium/LEs, etc.. You're letting the new investor direct you too far from your vision, your name, your legacy just for the bottom line. You don't need to apologize for trying to create more revenue/profitability. But there's a right way - the way Stern was built - and the wrong way, trying to create dollars instead of pinball machines to amuse.

We are our own worst enemies. Just like in action figure and comic industry - keep buying. It' not if, it's going to burst. I don't want to see Stern crash when it does.

They would be smart to use Batman66 and all this market feedback on pricing, quality, and misguided marketing messaging to correct their course for the next title. They have enough feedback on price ceiling - we've hit it. I don't care if Batman66 sells out, the so called-whiners, are the ones also buying your games (premium and pro) and now being priced out. Learn from other industries before it's too late.

#2245 4 years ago

Back on track...

image (resized).jpeg

#2246 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Meanwhile, if you were absolutely thirsty for NIB pinball, MET pro stock is available and probably the one of the best "deals" this side of 2013.
Oh well.

Agreed! But NIB prices for MET PRO went from $4600 to $5K street price, from Feb to July. $400 hike. Ouch! Still, great game.

#2247 4 years ago

The prices in Canada are as follows
pro- 6995
pre - 9690
LE - 11,950
you can maybe get a little bit off or a free shaker but with tax in Ontario 13% the prices are already out of control, if there are enough people willing to pay and Stern can keep going then all the power to them. I wish it was cheaper but its not, plenty of great older used pins out there and recently places to play the new games are popping up, I started collecting 5 years ago and many of the 90's dmd were half the price they are now, more people buying and collecting, new manufactures more games and higher prices, its either deal with it, buy old and used or quit the hobby, what it means for me is that a pin will have to have a theme and gameplay worthy of the high price tag which is really rare, Aliens is the only one right now but if BM66 was something I must have then I would and if I couldn't afford it and other people could then good for them.

#2248 4 years ago

Pricing is insane. JJP could come out with game #3 at 7k and do some serious damage to Stern.

#2249 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What about the whole top secret no-pictures thing ?

potentially my biggest query at this point.....doesn't seem to be a Stern trait up to this point.....

#2250 4 years ago

"Tom said to himself that it was not such a hollow world after all. He has discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it, namely, that, in order to make a man or boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain."

--The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.95
There are 7100 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 142.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside