PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 142.
#1851 7 years ago

I really hope Homepin can start cranking games out from China at reasonable prices....

#1852 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Nobody is buying Areosmith

I've been saying that all along. That's why we get Batman instead.

Moneyman (resized).jpgMoneyman (resized).jpg

#1853 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

We suspected they would be raising prices when they added an LCD to their games. Perhaps this special edition is the game that serves to get some idea of what the market will bear and to get us used to the post LCD pricing.

I don't know why that would be. LCD's are a hell of a lot cheaper to buy than DMD's. The cost drops a lot since LCDs are mass produced and can be bought in bulk. DMD's are very select market. You can buy LCD's for the price of 1 DMD.

#1854 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't know why that would be.

Because they can.

Most people see it as an added value and will pay accordingly.

#1855 7 years ago

yea, because most people don't really have a clue or really think about real cost of things.

#1856 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, I agree. for the manufacturers, it's awesome. For us, it sucks balls. I should have specified who the market sucks for.

Didn't suck when you put your entire collection up for sale

#1857 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Still in for a LE Ice?

I'm still in for LE.

Prices are going back down after this "anniversary edition".

This pin is blinged out "way beyond" anything else they have done before.

I'm not saying they won't have SLE's in the future, I think they will and would be stupid not to have them if people keep buying them.

100 SLE units, 400 LE's, premiums and pros.

I predict $10k, $8500, $7200 and $5800 respectively.

#1858 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't know why that would be. LCD's are a hell of a lot cheaper to buy than DMD's. The cost drops a lot since LCDs are mass produced and can be bought in bulk. DMD's are very select market. You can buy LCD's for the price of 1 DMD.

...and SMD is much cheaper than DIP, metal backboxes are cheaper than wooden ones, pegs are cheaper than rails, moving a switch is cheaper than having to use cables, etc.

Stern has moved from being an "old style manufacturer" (quality product for a reasonable price) to a marketing company, as they state themselves: "John is a perfect addition to our company. His experience with consumer sales and collectibles will help us reach our goal of creating a whole new generation of pinball players," said Gary Stern, Founder, CEO and Chairman of Stern Pinball, Inc.

#1859 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This pin is blinged out "way beyond" anything else they have done before.

SLE (resized).jpgSLE (resized).jpg

#1860 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Prices are going back down after this "anniversary edition".

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#1861 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

IF this is a success, It's pretty clear to me this is new pricing. I guess the Pro will be around $6000-6500 street price on the next model as well. And clearly you haven't seen the last "Super LE" either if these actually do sell out with customers humiliating themselves by begging for them on video.

The LE and SLE are already a slam dunk success it appears, so no doubt we will see more of the same.

I think premium goes back to $7200 range in future and pro stays under $6k.

$15k pins for me? Likely not for me. $10k is crazy enough.

#1862 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I predict $10k, $8500, $7200 and $5800 respectively.

#1863 7 years ago

You guys are some funny M fers

When you see BM66 you'll understand why prices will go back down.

But hey, a GBLE at $8k isn't like some screaming discounted price.

What is clear is they are intent on not allowing "flipper profit" and will price accordingly

#1864 7 years ago

Gettin' in the mood for the big release party...

#1865 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern has never - in history - raised prices, only to lower them with a subsequent release. They didn't do it for previous shitty themes (CSI, WWE) so I don't see why we should expect that for an Aerosmith game (I still can't believe that one is actually going to happen).

They also never had a SLE or a 30th ann pin that the pin geeks salivate for, this show is obviously important to a lot of folk out there, they may not decrease the price and this is the new norm for pricing, I'm just saying if Aerosmith was released under these pricing conditions where you get to meet the band etc. It would not be sold out this fast and Pre's certainly would not be flying off the shelf, only time will tell.

#1866 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

What is clear is they are intent on not allowing "flipper profit" and will price accordingly

That is like saying they are going to eliminate IP piracy in China. Meaning, there is zero chance of that happening.
There is no way for the producer to eliminate "flipper profit".
Flipper profit is consumer driven and there is always some yutz that will pay the flipper's price if the flipper is selling what they want.
Stern doesn't give a fig about flippers. They are simply trying to find that spot on the supply & demand curve where if they charge more they won't be able to sell them all and if they charge less they won't have enough to satisfy demand. The free market is what makes America great and also allows you to create a cheap piece of doodoo and charge through the roof for it.

Everybody's doing it
http://www.businessinsider.com/products-high-markups-2014-7
Go on get yourself some.

#1867 7 years ago

I think Stern messed up because BB66 LE and SLE would have sold out even without the lcd display. Then they could have saved that to increase sales on Aerosmith making it the first lcd Stern.

#1869 7 years ago

For Sale in 18 months: BM66SLE - $15,001.99

#1870 7 years ago

This is all clearly a sign Stern has been barking up the wrong tree with these recent 80s throwback themes and the 60s are where the big money is.

So it's time to throw the predictions of games like Goonies in the trash and break out the heavy hitters.

5245787c81b1f7cfbbc4902ad8e078e9 (resized).jpg5245787c81b1f7cfbbc4902ad8e078e9 (resized).jpg

#1871 7 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

There is no way for the producer to eliminate "flipper profit".

They have already done it. After the METLE debacle that's exactly what happened.

They have greatly reduced "flipper profit".

The after market for $8k plus pins is only going to get more difficult for sellers as JJP, Heighway and Stern keep cranking out the new latest and greatest Nib pins.

That will keep a lid on prices, people won't keep buying Nib to sell their pins later at a $2k loss. Forget "flipper profit". More like "flopper loss".

But yeah, I know the laws of supply and demand and price elasticity don't apply to pinball

#1872 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So it's time to throw the predictions of games like Goonies in the trash and break out the heavy hitters.

The fact most people won;t remember they just rebooted that with a movie last year isn't a great sign.

#1873 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The fact most people won;t remember they just rebooted that with a movie last year isn't a great sign.

I remember but didn't see it. Noone wants a reboot anymore. It's all about the original 1960s classics!

film-page-feature-image-front-main-stage-2 (resized).jpgfilm-page-feature-image-front-main-stage-2 (resized).jpg

#1874 7 years ago

Price of premium went up a $1000!? No way. Really? Really?

#1875 7 years ago

price up on this title just to break even on all those GB playfields they have to replace

#1876 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Price of premium went up a $1000!? No way. Really? Really?

Premium is actually the new LE, with two new grades above that. If you are a normal pro buyer, they have the home model of Spiderman available near the usual price point.

#1877 7 years ago

The term is "Promium."

#1878 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern has never - in history - raised prices, only to lower them with a subsequent release.

According to swinks record of MSRPs, they did. After Avengers with Metallica. Also from TWD Pro to WWE Pro.

#1879 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Premium is actually the new LE, with two new grades above that. If you are a normal pro buyer, they have the home model of Spiderman available near the usual price point.

I may not be a buyer anymore.

#1880 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

According to swinks record of MSRPs, they did. After Avengers with Metallica.

Thing is the whole MSRP vs. actual price, which can confuse the issue. GBpro MSRP price wasn;t any higher than GOT right? It was just the "Stern cracking down on distro prices" yada yada that made it cost more (I think I don't remember the exact figures)

#1881 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I may not be a buyer anymore.

Only way to beat em is not to buy.

#1882 7 years ago

Well I think I will be done buying NIB. It's a shame that they are price gouging at this point. I mean even seeing what they are offering for the SLE I just don't see how that's worth anything close to 15k. What makes it more crazy is to put money down and they haven't shown a single picture of the playfield. These prices are officially out of control in my opinion.

#1883 7 years ago
Quoted from venom112:

...What makes it more crazy is to put money down and they haven't shown a single picture of the playfield. These prices are officially out of control in my opinion.

give them a week to listen to feedback and maybe Stern will soften these numbers and repost. I can hope, right

#1884 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

According to swinks record of MSRPs, they did. After Avengers with Metallica. Also from TWD Pro to WWE Pro.

I don't think that was an actual real world adjustment.

#1885 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't think that was an actual real world adjustment.

That's possible. It seems the relationship between Stern and their distributors is a secret, mystical world.

#1886 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

like Goonies

Or Princess Bride. Is it "inconceivable"?

#1887 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That's possible. It seems the relationship between Stern and their distributors is a secret, mystical world.

True. And you gotta wonder how distributors feel about being cut out of stern's biggest cash grab yet.

#1888 7 years ago

Didn't they say on a C2C podcast that essentially the right half of the playfield was identical to batman the dark knight. IMO you would really have to like that machine to pay those prices

#1889 7 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

IMO you would really have to like that machine to pay those prices

WEll you just have to be a fanboy of the theme as we've seen...then you can just throw objectivity & reason out the window

#1890 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

True. And you gotta wonder how distributors feel about being cut out of stern's biggest cash grab yet.

Like this, we are going to make a lot of money off the Pre's for BM 66.

#1891 7 years ago

Dadgum Stern is destroying their business.

I see all the people that say they aren't nib buyers ever again, where are all the people like me that is buying the LE?

GB selling like "hot cakes"

They can't make pins fast enough to satisfy backlog demand.

Who the heck are all these people snapping these pins up?

Yep, Stern is in really bad shape, I feel sorry for them

#1892 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yep, Stern is in really bad shape, I feel sorry for them

Even though I like to poke fun at the whole thing, I agree with you that Stern is in a strong position. They will have no problem selling these games.

#1893 7 years ago

Leaked pics of the completely re-designed left playfield:

batman_pfmoney1 (resized).jpgbatman_pfmoney1 (resized).jpg

#1894 7 years ago

What I don't get is Gary is always stating that the pinball industry would not be successful without operators and having pinballs on locations. So why would you not want to offer a reasonably priced pro machine that is built to stand up in a commercial environment to commemorate the operators that supported you for 30 years? Quite wasting time with building the Pin and the super boutique games and just serve the basic bread and butter that has kept Stern in business.

#1895 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

What I don't get is Gary is always stating that the pinball industry would not be successful without operators and having pinballs on locations. So why would you not want to offer a reasonably priced pro machine that is built to stand up in a commercial environment to commemorate the operators that supported you for 30 years? Quite wasting time with building the Pin and the super boutique games and just serve the basic bread and butter that has kept Stern in business.

He also states that more than 50% of their business is overseas ... and overseas customers / sellers / distributors are left to swing ........

#1896 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Just look at the pinside map and you will see far more machines being sold to private buyers than locations. I think Gary is targeting the right demographic.

#1897 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Just look at the pinside map and you will see far more machines being sold to private buyers than locations.

"The pinball map is not the territory."

#1898 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Just look at the pinside map and you will see far more machines being sold to private buyers than locations. I think Gary is targeting the right demographic.

I think location pinball is what attracts the majority of new people into the hobby. I myself got into the hobby because of the machines I remembered playing on location in High School. My point is operators are the reason Stern has stayed in business and to continue the pinball industry they need machines to be on location. Some $15,000 boutique game in some guys basement does little for the hobby.

#1899 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

If he is aiming for short term profit on a per unit basis at the expense of long term market presence, then yes.

#1900 7 years ago

To be fair to Stern they are not targeting this at operators with this game. They are after Iceman and his mates!

Stern is not going to drop the pro but they are going to squeeze every $ out that they can. As they raise prices though ROI gets more and more linked to resale and quality, incomplete code etc hurt there. Stern may be going gangbusters right now but if they are not careful they will throw it away.

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 142.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-by-stern-new-info/page/38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.