PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 142.
#1601 7 years ago

Ha, I was going to write my own spoof application but I think I'll just resubmit yours with minor changes. I mean this pin is so special that they didn't even bother to design it from scratch they just rehashed a BDK (with the Iceman ramp added) for chrissakes so why should I write my own application.

PS: wake up patsies it's a BDK!

SEND MONEY NOW!!!
(used by permission from Tekee Inc)

#1602 7 years ago

No, except for the crane, it's all different. BDK didn't have two LCD's.

LTG : )

#1603 7 years ago

Now Stern, rub your hands together and announce a run of 66 gold trim Pros.
Cha- Ching.
All too easy.

#1604 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Can I ask what your limit is ? 10k 15k 20k?

My prediction is that it will be half the price of a Ford Taurus.

#1605 7 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Now Stern, rub your hands together and announce a run of 66 gold trim Pros.
Cha- Ching.
All too easy.

No Pros.

LTG : )

#1606 7 years ago

pourquoi tout ce bordel? juste pour un super LE qui va couter un bras et destiné à une clientèle triée sur le volet? certainement pour des amis fortunés ou de très bons clients qui en auront les moyens. un super LE pour une super clientèle! Stern fait ce qu'il veut, meme nous mépriser. vous avez aussi ce pouvoir.
bref, on s'en tape. d'autant plus que le premium devrait être le meme jeu que le LE ou SLE avec juste du bling en moins. mais bon comme toujours y aura des mods à venir..

faut pas s'en faire, ni se déclencher de l'eczema ou de l'hypertension pour si peu...en cherchant bien il doit y avoir bcp plus important dans la vie.

bon flip

#1607 7 years ago

You wot m8

#1608 7 years ago

Make it cost a shit load of money, and they will come.

Not who I want to represent my hobby, but they will come.

#1609 7 years ago

I think we live in a great age for pinball, many machines to choose from. All kind of versions. It is the same with cars, not all of us can buy a ferrrari and only few of us can buy a custom ferrari. That does not mean it is a bad thing. If Stern is up to boutique style pinballs together with Ka-pow, that is great news. Small runs of great theme's, get us Predator, Jaws, Bond, Bourne, Godfather, Apocalypse now, and all kind of great themes. Stern has the knowledge to do the Pin, the money is there in the community. You just have to settle with the idea that you can not buy all machines, all new themes, wait for one that is really interested and then you go.
Love the smaller runs, makes pinball special again, I would love to have a special machine and my friend have another great theme. I would like that more than the pro/premium/le model. Where every machine is essential the same with some upgrades.

#1610 7 years ago

I'm just waiting for the double secret super LE to be announced.

#1611 7 years ago

I have to laugh at the buy back clause. There's no way they can enforce that. Different states have different consumer protection laws not to mention they are probably shipping some overseas.

My guess is they are probably keeping a list and if you cross them they will take your name off the list for future SLEs.

I'm keeping a list of my own Stern.

#1612 7 years ago

I just heard about the application announcement for the "Super LE's". Wow, just wow. No longer is the Super LE concept a one time thing as Stern is asking people what other "limited boutique games" they want to see in the future. Also, they haven't even released one picture of the game yet want people to beg to buy one. What a bunch of BS. The entire thing has a bit of a sleazy salesmen vibe to it.

Lower quality, raising prices, cutting corners, making owners wait 6+ months for code updates that may never come and now having to "apply" (beg) for a Super LE (there will be more, it's not just for the 30th anniversary based on the application). This is beyond ridiculous.

#1613 7 years ago

Its clear the majority of folks don't like this application process for a SLE. It seems Stern should of kept 15 and replaced 8 LEs with 8 SLEs and 7 Prems with 7 SLEs and used a golden ticket approach? i.e. I purchased a Prem but inside the box was an SLE.

#1614 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And/or there are plenty of haters that are just pissed that they can't afford or simply won't pay that much for a pinball machine
Bottom line is plenty of people are willing to pay up for the LE and "super collectible" or whatever the heck it is.
I'm one of them for the right pin like Batman66
Stern has got it right. Satisfying all segments of the market
The whiners and complainers will always be out in force no matter what they do

I can afford it if I so choose, and I actually find this to be the best theme in years - but I have 0 desire to go through the hoops and "beg" for them to sell me one. So with that being said, I am actually super excited to see and possibly buy the non special people's version.

#1615 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Its clear the majority of folks don't like this application process for a SLE. It seems Stern should of kept 15 and replaced 8 LEs with 8 SLEs and 7 Prems with 7 SLEs and used a golden ticket approach? i.e. I purchased a Prem but inside the box was an SLE.

Please don't give them any more horrible ideas

#1616 7 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

They should have made this a giveaway contest for one machine, if they want to collect media for promotion. That would have been OK, but this is bordering on parody. Just head-slappingly ridiculous. "Apply to give us lots of money".

Back to what I posted awhile back in this thread. They have a lot of young marketing people on staff that are pushing social media impressions. What their failing on is are they positive impressions. They don't realize in execution they're upsetting customers - seemingly treating them like idiots.

They need to balance the young marketing creative ideas with seasoned marketing know how. Balance Daniel-son.

#1617 7 years ago

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." - Oscar Wilde

BM66.jpgBM66.jpg

#1618 7 years ago

Someone should film their application using ghosting inserts, flaking clear, peeling decals, code errors, and so on. Sure win.

#1619 7 years ago

ghost (resized).jpgghost (resized).jpg

thank you sir may i have another 1 (resized).jpgthank you sir may i have another 1 (resized).jpg

#1620 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I have to laugh at the buy back clause. There's no way they can enforce that. Different states have different consumer protection laws not to mention they are probably shipping some overseas.
My guess is they are probably keeping a list and if you cross them they will take your name off the list for future SLEs.
I'm keeping a list of my own Stern.
» YouTube video

and if they try to enforce it they may end up spending a lot in court to fight it out.

#1621 7 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." - Oscar Wilde

Actually a good point. The sad part is, Stern could be legitimate 'rock stars' of the industry, if they could just find some quality representation and produce a consistent quality product. The only reason they have the status that they do is the fact they are the only big producer left. Yes, there are others out there that are chipping away at the market, but Stern is producing the titles each year. With all of the issues they have, and with the way they treat some folks (not all), they would really be hurting if they had any major competition. But in a twisted way, I guess their smug attitude is a good thing, in that it helps keep folks like JJ and Spooky in business, and hopefully keeps them growing.

#1622 7 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

and if they try to enforce it they may end up spending a lot in court to fight it out.

Doubtful that is anything they would try to litigate...the fallout would be bad for them. This is just a provision in the agreement to try and keep a flipper from getting their hands on one and trying to make a buck. They can't enforce it and they know it.....more of a symbolic gesture relying on the "honor" system, if there is such a thing anymore. I would almost bet if someone were to go back to them and try to sell it back to them, they would pass and tell them to put it out on the market. Notice they say they get first choice....it doesn't say they will actually buy it.

#1623 7 years ago

30 Super LE = ONE TIME offering to mark the 30 years in pinball... I don't understand the freak out. Well, actually I do, this is Pinside after all!

#1624 7 years ago

This is all very interesting indeed. I am tempted to send in an application and see what happens. Can't wait to watch this all shake out

#1625 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

30 Super LE = ONE TIME offering to mark the 30 years in pinball... I don't understand the freak out. Well, actually I do, this is Pinside after all!

Wait for it....you will eventually.

#1626 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

They can't enforce it and they know it.....more of a symbolic gesture relying on the "honor" system, if there is such a thing anymore

It would be a contract between two parties, signed and agreed to up front. The hardest part would be spending the money to pursue.. not the legality of it. I'd love to hear the cites of state laws preventing a party from granting the First Right of Refusal to another....

#1627 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It would be a contract between two parties, signed and agreed to up front. The hardest part would be spending the money to pursue.. not the legality of it. I'd love to hear the cites of state laws preventing a party from granting the First Right of Refusal to another....

In order to have a binding contract in place, there is a criteria that has to be met, one element being mutually agreed price and product. In other words, in order for them to get the pin, you would have to set a price up front. A contract with ambiguity is rarely enforceable. So are you going to sell it back to Stern for the same as you paid? Less because it is used? Or more because they are now super-rare collectibles? You would have to set this amount up-front, else you could say you now want 30K for the pin, and since they won't pay that, you are now going elsewhere, etc. What id the thing becomes as valuable as BBB, would you be willing to sell it back to Stern for the same amount, knowing they are going to make a hefty profit from the next buyer? A person would be a fool to set all of that in stone from the beginning, if there could be any chance at all of having to sell in the first 18 months. If you are Uber wealthy, and don't have to worry about things like a natural disaster, kid getting really sick, etc. etc., then the contract is really just a piece of paper and you could care less. But if you are the guy who is scraping savings together to try and get your hands on your grail pin, then you would be a fool to sign a binding contract. Most likely the buyers of these will fall into the 1st group and could give a crap, and I doubt very seriously if Stern is actually going to have them sign one anyway. I am betting this is more of a handshake agreement, and the penalty will be having you on their shit list if you flip the pin. And as small as this community is, word would get around fast, no matter how hard you tried to keep it secret.

#1628 7 years ago

OK,wtf??I put off my GB/PRe and bought B66,NOW I get a e-mail from Stern,asking if i wanna buy there new Spiderman??? Anybody else get this???? No wonder were all waiting!!!

#1629 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It would be interesting to know the specifics. While I'm sure the wording says "for original purchase price" on the buy-back, does "selling" imply auctioning, donating and trading?

I don't mind what Gary is doing at all. He is celebrating a milestone and thanking friends and business associates. He letting in a few true collector / lovers of pinball and wants to weed out the flippers. So what, it is his company he can do what he wants. When you are the largest seller of pinball machines for 15 years you can do things differently with your own company.

Simply, if you don't like it or don't agree to it then it is not for you. It is for very few. Most will not only never own one but probably not ever get to play one ever. So don't worry about the code or the clear coat since it will not be your problem.

Hey, I drive a car. As a matter of fact I have more than one so I guess I collect cars. Can I get a 918 Spyder? The simple answer to me is "no". And I am not going to lose sleep over it, but I might dream.

#1630 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I am betting this is more of a handshake agreement, and the penalty will be having you on their shit list if you flip the pin. And as small as this community is, word would get around fast, no matter how hard you tried to keep it secret.

That's exactly what it is. Stern is just trying to discourage people from flipping for profit because that money is going to the flipper and not them. Their ultimate goal is to price games at a point that leaves no room for flipping, which is why the rumors are floating of this being a $14-15K pin. It's no doubt they saw all the GBLE's being priced at $10K and figured they weren't asking enough for their LE models. If people would only refuse to pay more than MSRP on games this would stop happening but that is not likely to happen. This really makes me nostalgic for a time (not long ago) when the most expensive NIB games were under $4K.

#1631 7 years ago

I think this is being way over-analyzed, but both sides present very compelling arguments here. I see it as Stern is celebrating their 30 year Anniversary and decided to make 30 (get it?) super collectible machines to become part of history. They are collectors items, no doubt about it. My take on the marketing angle is that Stern wants these machines in the hands of true pinball enthusiasts and not "flippers" who will just hold on to them and then wait for the highest bidder down the road. I'm sure they could charge 20+K for this game and find 30 buyers with no problem, so if it was JUST about the money, they probably wouldn't be doing this application process. Having said this, typically these types of limited edition products (cars, etc.) only go to ultra wealthy collectors and wind up sitting around in some climate controlled space never to be seen again by 99.99% of the general public. I think it's great that Lloyd applied for one, and I hope Stern will sell him one at a discounted rate, so that he can put it on location and the common Joe will be able to experience something that they would otherwise never be able to be a part of. In fact, I hope that Stern's plan is to get these machines distributed all over the place, and not just to some ultra high end collectors who will just put them in a corner and never play it or invite people to enjoy it. Personally, if I were to get one, a big part of the fun of owning it would be to have people come and play it.

#1632 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

In order to have a binding contract in place, there is a criteria that has to be met, one element being mutually agreed price and product. In other words, in order for them to get the pin, you would have to set a price up front. A contract with ambiguity is rarely enforceable. So are you going to sell it back to Stern for the same as you paid? Less because it is used?

Do you even know what Right of First Refusal is?? Because from this post... you don't. You don't need to set a buy back price at time of purchase.. and the whole application process at this point is NOT you entering an agreement on not to sell. They are just telling you that's the expectation of the terms of sale before you apply.

#1633 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Do you even know what Right of First Refusal is?? Because from this post... you don't. You don't need to set a buy back price at time of purchase.. and the whole application process at this point is NOT you entering an agreement on not to sell. They are just telling you that's the expectation of the terms of sale before you apply.

Ha...been dealing in the legal realm for over 20 years, so I think I know a thing or two about contracts. Right of first refusal is NOT a binding contract....there are elements of a contract that have to be met for it to be actionable, and it doesn't matter whether the contract is verbal or written, the criteria is the same. States differ on the details, but the main elements are the same across the board. This discussion started regarding the word "litigation"...as I have said, they are not going to litigate any of this, and they are not going to make anyone sign away their first born. This is just going to be a gentlemen's agreement between parties. Not worth getting into a whole legal discussion about a document that doesn't even exist. If they do come up with a written contract, then someone can post it here and I will be more than happy to debate the legalities.

#1634 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Stern sure isn't talking like this is a one time thing, well they do on their Facebook page but the "application" (lol) says otherwise.

"Name three titles that would be interesting for you for a Stern / Ka-Pow limited boutique game in the future?"

That statement above sure sounds like we will see Super LE's versions of some future titles. If Stern had any intention of making this a one time thing they would call it a 30th Anniversary Edition, not a Super LE.

#1635 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I don't mind what Gary is doing at all. He is celebrating a milestone and thanking friends and business associates. He letting in a few true collector / lovers of pinball and wants to weed out the flippers. So what, it is his company he can do what he wants. When you are the largest seller of pinball machines for 15 years you can do things differently with your own company.

I agree.. and I think this kind of selfish outrage seen here reflects very very poorly on the community. Makes people look like spoiled brats.

Stern does a special run of games to celebrate 30 years to party and celebrate with a circle of associates... and people are losing their mind because Stern has the audacity to make stuff and not make it available to them to buy.. even tho they probably don't want to buy the game in the first place.

They are screaming bloody murder over the very idea of Stern making stuff and not selling it to the general public. Yet, its an idea that Stern, WMS, Bally, and everyone has done for decades. Or the idea of running contests to get access to events, buying opportunities, etc... like happens every day all around. But in pinball? HOLY F*$%%& its satan himself!

And people wonder why vendors aren't on pinside? Exhibit A right here...

#1636 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I agree.. and I think this kind of selfish outrage seen here reflects very very poorly on the community. Makes people look like spoiled brats.
Stern does a special run of games to celebrate 30 years to party and celebrate with a circle of associates... and people are losing their mind because Stern has the audacity to make stuff and not make it available to them to buy.. even tho they probably don't want to buy the game in the first place.
They are screaming bloody murder over the very idea of Stern making stuff and not selling it to the general public. Yet, its an idea that Stern, WMS, Bally, and everyone has done for decades. Or the idea of running contests to get access to events, buying opportunities, etc... like happens every day all around. But in pinball? HOLY F*$%%& its satan himself!

I personally don't think anyone is being selfish or "outraged" as you mention. There are people speaking their minds, which is what a forum is for. Passionate, yes...outraged, I doubt it. Spoiled brats? I could place that label a lot of places in this forum...but I am not sure this is one. I don't think people expressing their concern about being jerked around on a string is being spoiled. And if you are correct, this being a one time thing, having no effect, etc etc, then so be it. We just then move to some other topic and all of thie disappears into the archives. But my guess is you will see this model more in the future, and this conversation will continue, as pointed out above. The SuperLE will happen again......and I am serious when I say I hope your passion for this pays off in having a room full of them. They are not for me, but obviously something you care deeply about. To each their own.

#1637 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Personally I think more people would be accepting of Stern's 30 run of "Super LE's" if it wasn't for the following.

1. Current playfield issues are not being addressed properly (poor communication)
2. Code updates are coming out very slowly or not at all
3. Games continue to have features stripped out yet prices continue to go up
4. Stern is asking for people to apply to buy a game, basically asking them to beg to do so and doesn't even show one picture of the game.
5. Stern is not calling the game a "Stern 30th Anniversary Edition", they are leaving the door open for more "Super LE" versions for future titles (one question on their application infers that).

#1638 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Personally I think more people would be accepting of Stern's 30 run of "Super LE's" if it wasn't for the following.
1. Current playfield issues are not being addressed properly (poor communication)
4. Stern is asking for people to apply to buy a game, basically asking them to beg to do so and doesn't even show one picture of the game.
5. Stern is not calling the game a "Stern 30th Anniversary Edition", they are leaving the door open for more "Super LE" versions for future titles (one question on their application infers that).

So point 1-3 have nothing to do with this topic.. and has not changed. If those are **really** your complaint.. you should be upset anytime Stern is making a new game instead of addressing 1-3.. not just SLE editions.

#4 - no, stern is asking people to apply to be considered to be part of this special event... which is about Stern and celebrating their history. Of course the topic should be about how engaged you are with their company and products

#5 - maybe.. but if that's a big deal, speak with your wallet. They'll adapt yet again.

#1639 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I don't think people expressing their concern about being jerked around on a string is being spoiled

Who is being jerked on a string? The dozen people here posting that aren't even the audience for the game edition? Don't you get it? Internet rage over shit that doesn't even apply to you. That's what makes people look like brats.

#1640 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Don't you have a JJP forum to hang out in?

#1641 7 years ago

Am I the only one here who doesn't think people are going to spend 15-20k on a pinball machine that's slightly different than a 7-8k machine?

#1642 7 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

Am I the only one here who doesn't think people are going to spend 15-20k on a pinball machine that's slightly different than a 7-8k machine?

Yes....

#1643 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern sure isn't talking like this is a one time thing, well they do on their Facebook page but the "application" (lol) says otherwise.
"Name three titles that would be interesting for you for a Stern / Ka-Pow limited boutique game in the future?"
That statement above sure sounds like we will see Super LE's versions of some future titles. If Stern had any intention of making this a one time thing they would call it a 30th Anniversary Edition, not a Super LE.

Interesting, but that isn't the way George Gomez framed it during his interview on the Coast 2 Coast podcast.

#1644 7 years ago

With only 30 machines maybe Adam West is going to do a special voice entry for each machine.

There will be something that will turn 30 machines into trophies. And each one will have its own difference. People will pay.

#1645 7 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I was obviously coming on a little strong. My apologies. I respect your opinion but I respectfully disagree.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

I just think that it's a bit of a worry when a company starts making a major shift from simply making great stuff, to making a lot of noise *about* their stuff. I may have worded it badly, and there is certainly a need for good marketing, but this hyping seems to be getting more and more momentum at the same time that there are real, documented lapses in quality. But it's still pinball, so it's gotta be good, right?

I this was the norm on Pinside, it would be so much easier to have nice things. Kudos for acting like grownups and understanding that there isn't just one opinion.

#1646 7 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Now that would have been way cool!

#1647 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Who is being jerked on a string? The dozen people here posting that aren't even the audience for the game edition? Don't you get it? Internet rage over shit that doesn't even apply to you. That's what makes people look like brats.

I don't know. It seems like there are a dozen posting that ARE the audience and half are OK with it and half don't like it. None of it seems like internet rage to me. Stern takes the risk of upsetting people when they change their strategy with SLEs and home models. I find the discussion interesting and like some others posting, are just making amusing comments.

I think most of the distress is over pricing, quality, and communication. Prices are going up and the sale of SLEs has the potential of driving them up further.

Questions of quality because of Stern exchanging established parts and mechanisms in the operation of a game with perceived inferior parts and mechanisms. Also questions over recent problems with playfields.

Communication of said quality problems and communication about the release of this game. Stern will say on Facebook that B66 hasn't been revealed yet but will post pictures of playfield parts, deposit info, and applications. Also Gomez says only this game will get 30 SLEs yet their Facebook posits the question of what games do we want SLEs to be made in the future.

#1648 7 years ago

If Stern really wanted to combat flippers a more effective way to do so would be to personalize each game to incorporate the 30 individual owner's. Instead of a tiny LE plaque with just a number on it you could have a personalized apron (something similar to the WOZLE wood apron) which incorporates the owner's name (or family) along with a personalized message from Adam West and Gary Stern. You could also custom program stuff into the software that identifies the owner like custom callouts or custom video message from Adam West identifying the buyer by name. Maybe even incorporate the buyer's name or likeness into the art package somewhere. If the rumored prices are true, I'd expect something way more special than just a different art package and trim. Make each game truly unique and personalized which would give the game more special meaning to the owner.

#1649 7 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

pourquoi tout ce bordel? juste pour un super LE qui va couter un bras et destiné à une clientèle triée sur le volet? certainement pour des amis fortunés ou de très bons clients qui en auront les moyens. un super LE pour une super clientèle! Stern fait ce qu'il veut, meme nous mépriser. vous avez aussi ce pouvoir.
bref, on s'en tape. d'autant plus que le premium devrait être le meme jeu que le LE ou SLE avec juste du bling en moins. mais bon comme toujours y aura des mods à venir..
faut pas s'en faire, ni se déclencher de l'eczema ou de l'hypertension pour si peu...en cherchant bien il doit y avoir bcp plus important dans la vie.
bon flip

Babede bopi!

IMG_3571 (resized).JPGIMG_3571 (resized).JPG

#1650 7 years ago

Interesting time at Stern right now.

*Orders of GB LE's and Premiums are still not filled

*Pabst Can Crusher pin announced, none built/shipped/or delivered

*Batman66 Pin flyer shown, no playfield or game pictures- sold out any way. Application for right to buy Super LE, no pics shown.

*Spiderman Consumer/Home version announced, no ETA on actual build/delivery date

*Huge backlog of games ordered Feb/March of this year and still not built

Anyone else think Stern is biting off more then they can chew? Perhaps their design and marketing department is running full speed, and the manufacturing process is running at a slower speed and being pushed beyond their capabilities?

There's definitely a ramp up happening, but it just doesn't seem like all the moving parts are in sync here.

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 142.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-by-stern-new-info/page/33?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.