PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 140 of 142.
#6951 7 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

So same old graphics and interface but on the LCD - that's disappointing.

Yep still orange/red old menu ...

#6952 7 years ago

Seems to me that is something easily upgraded at some point, possibly from some other programmers, shared with Aerosmith, etc.

I hardly think Spike 2 is going to somehow keep the old dot menu for the duration.

#6953 7 years ago

Im sure the service menu will evolve over time. My guess is they just ported over what they had since it works and people are used to it. Once the game code is futher along they'll probably revist the service menu.

I havent seen the service menu in a JJP or heighway game. What sorts of things are in their service menus that take advantage of the LCD?

#6954 7 years ago

I hope they don't start using crazy animations for service menus; just be fast and to the point with relevant information.

#6955 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I havent seen the service menu in a JJP or heighway game. What sorts of things are in their service menus that take advantage of the LCD?

The tree stays visible. Lists are vertical. Lots of options are visible at one time so you can quickly scan all your settings without having to cycle through them.

#6956 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

The tree stays visible. Lists are vertical. Lots of options are visible at one time so you can quickly scan all your settings without having to cycle through them.

Also when testing switches or coils, there is a drawing of the playfield with an indicator where the switch/coil is located on the playfield. Very convenient.

#6957 7 years ago

I scored the DVDs of the series for Christmas. I've been binge watching in preparation of receiving my game on Wednesday. The episodes are so silly now. Like Robin not being able to go into a bar with Batman after the Riddler, because he was underage. . I can understand why Pinsiders who didn't grow up with the series might be scratching their heads about us crazy old farts dropping big coin on the game.

#6958 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

That is something JJP did well. if you have seen pin2k, the JJP stuff is an evolution and modernization. When you are testing lights, the light is highlighted on a play field picture. The switch matrix labels every switch for function. Adjustments are on a scrolling menu.

And I agree, at some point Stern will do something cooler. But just porting what we are all familiar with was probably easiest.

#6959 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Im sure the service menu will evolve over time. My guess is they just ported over what they had since it works and people are used to it. Once the game code is futher along they'll probably revist the service menu.

The JJP menu is in a different UNIVERSE... check out

and jump to about 2:40 where they start playing in the menu.

#6960 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The JJP menu is in a different UNIVERSE... check out » YouTube video and jump to about 2:40 where they start playing in the menu.

Agreed....the JJP menu and programming are off the charts!!!

#6961 7 years ago

I Just played a few games on an LE at Logan Arcade. Early code but still a fun game to play. Stern NAILED the theme perfectly. the LCD is very well integrated into the theme and game play. I guess I'm old school, I go to an arcade and drop quarters. I don't care what a new Stern costs I just enjoy playing them.

#6962 7 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

I guess I'm old school, I go to an arcade and drop quarters. I don't care what a new Stern costs I just enjoy playing them.

Same here but the problem is that our local ops aren't likely to buy due to price. The Premium model is still about $3k higher than the Pro models that they typically buy. I don't even have any friends buying which means that it will be tough to track one down to play.

#6963 7 years ago

It would have been nice if Stern had made a jazzy menu screen to take advantage of the LCD but I kind of like having the good old fashioned menu system, I know those screens like the back of my hand and where everything is. Maybe adding some colour to the old school menus would have been a simple but easy nod to what could come down the line.

Would be great to see Stern implement the playfield image when doing a lamp/switch test, that's was a touch of genius by JJP

#6964 7 years ago

I don't have a ton of fun playing any JJP titles yet (although Dialed In early impressions are surprisingly good)- but man yes they certainly took advantage of the screen for their menus and service interface. Add me to the list cheering that effort.

Hoping to have my LE this week or next the latest...

#6965 7 years ago

Interesting thing to note with the BM66 release... seems all (or mostly) everyone posting their machines are home customers. When GB released, their last major release, seemed operators were the first people showing off their machines.

Could it mean that most BM66's were purchased by home collectors vs ops this time due to the price raises?

#6966 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Interesting thing to note with the BM66 release... seems all (or mostly) everyone posting their machines are home customers. When GB released, their last major release, seemed operators were the first people showing off their machines.
Could it mean that most BM66's were purchased by home collectors vs ops this time due to the price raises?

BM66 was marketed as & sold as a pin for collectors. The price certainly kept the home to op ratio high.

There are a couple of operators who have said they will be putting a BM66 on route that's great because that's a big route investment so those guys are awesome!

#6967 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The JJP menu is in a different UNIVERSE... check out » YouTube video and jump to about 2:40 where they start playing in the menu.

Do you have to manually trigger each switch as he did in video?

#6968 7 years ago

Stashkid will be doing a live unboxing of a BM66 SLE tonight on Twitch around 8:30EST for anybody that wants to see more gameplay.

Will the topper be in the box??
Will the latest code be installed??
Will the ball get hung up like it did on the proto Dead Flip played last week ??

https://www.twitch.tv/stashkid13

#6969 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Absolutely.

Similarly, you will see more ops buying Aerosmith pins vs BM66 as well.

Remember, there is no lower priced (pro) version of BM66. That alone will keep a lot of ops from buying it.

#6970 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

There is a SLE B66 on site atTime zone in Brisbane.

#6971 7 years ago

Super fun... Look forward to playing more.

IMG_20170105_155505483.jpgIMG_20170105_155505483.jpg

IMG_20170105_144439899.jpgIMG_20170105_144439899.jpg

#6972 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

There is a SLE B66 on site atTime zone in Brisbane.

Haha! I was thinking "I don't know about an arcade named Time Zone in Brisbane..." - then I saw your location and realized you weren't talking about Brisbane, CA, USA!

#6973 7 years ago

My BM66LE# 66 will be here in Clovis, CA next week. Hopefully all the rain doesnt hold up delivery!

Hows everyone feel about the game so far?

IMG_1556 (resized).JPGIMG_1556 (resized).JPG

#6974 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

My BM66LE# 66 will be here in Clovis, CA next week. Hopefully all the rain doesnt hold up delivery!

I've had mine for about 24 hours and absolutely love it, despite code being version .59. There are a lot of people who never liked it from the concept to the release of game play videos for various reasons. I understand why they don't get it, because I grew up watching the television show and it's one of the best of it's era in my estimation, so I'm hooked for nostalgia purposes. I love the theme a lot and appreciate the music, videos, and cheesiness of the show. I also like the long distance shots (kind of like AFM), some people don't and consider the game barren. Those issues combined with the price leads me to believe this game probably won't be a huge seller and is probably destined to become a bit of a cult classic. That's fine with me because it's a keeper in my estimation.

#6975 7 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I understand why they don't get it, because I grew up watching the television show and it's one of the best of it's era in my estimation, so I'm hooked for nostalgia purposes. I love the theme a lot and appreciate the music, videos, and cheesiness of the show.

Bingo!

Same boat here.

#6976 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Mine will be here next week.

I'm jealous of your number - was 66 a special order or luck of the draw?

#6977 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Bingo!
Same boat here.

+1

#6978 7 years ago

20170105_232946 (resized).jpg20170105_232946 (resized).jpg

#6979 7 years ago

^^ yay ^^

#6980 7 years ago

In case anyone wants to see all 3 translights together.

Screenshot_2017-01-05-23-42-37 (resized).jpgScreenshot_2017-01-05-23-42-37 (resized).jpg

#6981 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Bingo!
Same boat here.

Yes...someone who understands!!!

#6982 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Mine will be here next week.
I'm jealous of your number - was 66 a special order or luck of the draw?

Its funny out of all the numbers #66 is the one I wanted the most (given the year of the show). However, I had the option to pick from five different LE#s. My distributor and I were surprised Stern sold us Batman 66 (Premium) #66. Figure they keep this one at their main office.
Maybe they put a SuperLE in #66 box?!!
We will find out on Monday/Tuesday!

#6983 7 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I've had mine for about 24 hours and absolutely love it, despite code being version .59. There are a lot of people who never liked it from the concept to the release of game play videos for various reasons. I understand why they don't get it, because I grew up watching the television show and it's one of the best of it's era in my estimation, so I'm hooked for nostalgia purposes. I love the theme a lot and appreciate the music, videos, and cheesiness of the show. I also like the long distance shots (kind of like AFM), some people don't and consider the game barren. Those issues combined with the price leads me to believe this game probably won't be a huge seller and is probably destined to become a bit of a cult classic. That's fine with me because it's a keeper in my estimation.

Count me in on the lame theme boat...it's a theme for my Dad, not me.

#6984 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Count me in on the lame theme boat...it's a theme for my Dad, not me.

I can understand about the theme. The show was a bit before my time. Im 39. However, the cheesiness and cool design (with Lyman on the code) plus with huge mod potential made it ideal for myself/Family. Im a modder at heart> check out my T2!

This was my BDK. Added a SparkyTV on the end of the crane. And alot of other custom mods. Sold it about 6months ago to finish building my house.

IMG_1567 (resized).JPGIMG_1567 (resized).JPG

IMG_1566 (resized).JPGIMG_1566 (resized).JPG

#6985 7 years ago

Just got my SLE tonight.
I didn't want to wait for delivery tomorrow so I drove to the trucking dock to pick it up. First thing I see is a huge hole punched through the box. Luckily all is good inside.

Stern Year 2007

IMG_5344 (resized).JPGIMG_5344 (resized).JPG

IMG_5351 (resized).JPGIMG_5351 (resized).JPG

IMG_5352 (resized).JPGIMG_5352 (resized).JPG

IMG_5353 (resized).JPGIMG_5353 (resized).JPG

#6986 7 years ago

Everytime I see another trading card on a Batman 66 machine it reminds me of the fun I had making the puzzles on the flipside of the card. I assume these are the repro cards, do they still have the puzzle piece on the back? I had the whole collection of cards at one point in my adolescent years...

#6987 7 years ago

So for the SLE, is it just the headphone jack in the coin door? What about external volume control? Maybe they didn't include that in case it goes on location.

#6988 7 years ago

One of our local locations just had a Batman SLE arrive and setup today, so I thought I would repost my first impression I just put up on Aussiearcade.

ART

Its a great looking game. The cabinet art particularly really is gorgeous. The LED is well integrated and the size works perfectly. The speakers and trim really tie the look together. The topper wasn't installed and might be shipping later based on what overseas owners have been saying. I think the topper will really make the package whole and I'm usually not fussed on toppers.
The play field is a little lacklustre compared to what we have seen from Zombie Yetti on GB or Dirty Donny on MET & yesterdays AS reveal. There is a big difference to having a single artist layout an entire package. Here the play field has a photoshopped feel. Yes there are great renderings of the main villains etc.. however they are cut and pasted into the overall background and its not as cohesive.

Play field
The play field feels a little flat next to other modern games. The ramps are pretty shallow and so you loose the sense of depth compared to say GB main Ramp or KISS love gun ramp.
Its a pretty typical Fan layout, although the left orbit feeds to a saucer, which acts as the mystery/extra-ball/TV scoop, rather then looping round, which blocks the flow a bit. Similar to the fish finder shot in FT. You need to hit the shot well to make it all the way round to this saucer, which adds a little tension when going for the shot. However the left orbit entrance is pretty open and usually quite make able. The saucer has a soft kick which feeds into the pops.

There is another saucer under the crane which acts as the penguin hole as well as the last shot needed to complete each main villain. Its a little awkward and does reject occasionally. Also it looks like you should be able to backhand it, but it never quite seemed to make it, always bouncing slightly off to the left. If it was a standard scoop, I think you could backhand. There is a nice little mini horseshoe with spinner that feeds into the same saucer just left of the crane, which is a surprising nice shot. Occasionally you will also get bounce in as the ball exits the pops. The kick out from this saucer is soft and doesn't put the ball at risk. The area of the play field also has a Governor Gordan multiple standup which I think adds multipliers to the play field. There is a lot of kick off if you hit the target cleanly which adds a little more risk as it should.

As I mentioned early the ramps are a little underwhelming, They feel nice and smooth and the balls zips through them cleanly to the corresponding flipper. However they are very safe shots due to their height if the ball is hot even semi clean, it will make the ramp. The RHS ramp can be backhanded with no issues. Due to the lack of height you won't get an easy hop over to the other flipper from either ramp so they not really any good for transferring the ball between flippers, although post passes are a super easy so not really an issue.

The gadget stand ups on the left are pretty much the same as green goblin on Spiderman VE, although due to the way the ball moves around the table they get hit fairly frequently. Got the gadget activated regularly, which lights the lockdown bar button to activate the gadget. Couldn't tell at this point if the gadgets have been coded in, however my guess based on gadgets being a major component of the show, the gadget function will end up being a lot more nuanced them simply shot bombs.

The T.V stands on the right where by far the hardest shot in the game, probably harder then the drop targets on TWD, the lower target is a bitch. I see them playing a major role in the game as code progresses.Right now lighting all three activates the T.V insert on the left orbit, making the shot to the saucer lets you choose a sub villain.Sub Villains are based off the three seasons, I'm guessing you have to activate the stand ups multiple times to unlock each season, not sure if this is per ball or if they carry over. The sub villains again will be an excellent feature when coded right.At the moment could not really tell what effect they where having on the game.

The crane is a great toy and I would like to see it used more often in the game, which I'm sure it will. Bringing it into play say as a super jackpot shot in multi ball or as a hurry up could be fun. It can be a dangerous shot in certain positions, but that the idea. Registered perfectly every hit (has to be a direct hit from the front of the ball) no issues like with slimmer on GB.

The pops are pretty standard, although one excellent feature is the use of the back plate to highlight the rollover lanes. Each lane has a corresponding bat signal which is lit just above the feed on the back plate. Works well and I can see it be used in the future. Not sure why it hasn't been used more often. The skill shot feeding to the bumpers is so so. and worth very little. Basically the shooter lane has three arrows inserts that work like mini star rollovers. When you plunge the the arrows that the ball rolls over will light a corresponding but signal at the in lanes to the bumpers. Time it so you get all three arrows and all bat signals are lit at the pops, so any lane will give the skill shot. The signals at the pops can not be cycled when skill shot mode is active. You can shoot the ball by pressing the lockdown bar button. Overall it sounds better and more nuanced then it really is. With such low rewards (a million for skin shot) I never much bothered and just fired whenever.

Thats pretty much the whole play field, expect for the TOY. Okay this doesn't really need caps as it is a much better concept then it is in practice. A lot of time and energy has gone into the spinning platform and its cool, but the speed of the spin and the fact that ever shot is still pretty much the same to this area means that it falls a little short. The magnet in front of the platform is quite weak compared to say the monger in IM or The prison magnet in TWD. Shots can brick off the standup for the phone and T.V so be careful when going for these. You going to be hitting this area a lot. The phone is used to start main villains after their corresponding shots have been completed and is a countdown, which does bring a lot of needed tension. The T.V has two stand ups to activate the lock (RHS orbit) these can be stacked so after a while playing you will find you automatically have all three locks lit. The last wedge of the platform houses the spinning batmobile. Its a fun shot but can cause ball hangups and ball search (twice in all the games a played) these searches take a longtime as the platform has to keep rotating until the spinner releases the ball.
The platform also holds the balls you have locked and releases them at multi ball. Not much fanfare here they sort of just trickle out onto the table. The platform also acts as the shot to activate Joker, any shot here will light a joker letter. Overall its a cool toy/feature and is an innovating way to make use of limited space on the play field. However it does need some tweaking.

CODE

Okay this is way to early to judge. From what I have read and heard on podcasts, Batman was rushed out to meet the end of 2016 and the 50 year anniversary, it was originally scheduled for after Aerosmith but things where swapped around. I have no doubt that Lyman will make the code into a master piece. There are all the elements for some really interesting rules and objectives, I would not be surprised if this game ends up owning it with code. I can just see the potential with the Sub-Villian/Gadgets etc... Its like it is all there laid out waiting for his magic, much more so the TWD or MET where Lyman sort of came in later in the game. Here he was directly involved with the design process, layout and inserts, I have no doubt he has a vision for this game and is probably pretty bummed it has been released so early, just the vibe I got from watching the Dead flip stream. As of now the code is super bare and not intuitive at all. The shot inserts seem to be used for multiple modes at once with no clear direction to draw the players focus. The sub-villains have no clear impact on the game, same with the gadget belt. Multi ball is a joke, all main shots are continuously lit and active for jackpot as long as two or more balls are in play thats it. In fact I had no real desire to make multi ball after the first couple of times. There are no mini multi balls are any sort of fanfare from completing main villains. There are combos and a see these being an important component moving forward, couldn't tell exactly how the stack as did not have enough games yet, will focus on them a bit more in the coming days when I get to explore the table a further. All of the above is pretty much a non starter as this is a game that will get amazing code and for now it works as an intro to the table. Hell its .056 at the moment so a longways to go. I won't speculate on the timeframe for code updates etc.. however expect it to take some time and a lot of updates until things start really moving.

LCD

Dots are dead. Its gorgeous the video is full HD the graphics are super fun, overall the best feature of the table so far. Do yourself a favour and wait to see it in person before making a call, video doesn't really capture just how good it all looks. Like the code expect this to grow as the game progresses, more clips more animations more goodness. One small note, the game status is displayed in old dot style, such a cool little touch, you will love it when you see it for the first time.

SOUNDS

Really Really lacking in the call outs, which has an major impact on the game, its hard to get sucked into the world without those audio cues, the ones that are there such as the start of multi ball, are great and just have you begging for more. Again no doubt they are on their way and when they get integrated the game will jump a whole other level. Music is good each villain has there own jazzy theme and it works well. Sound is super clean from the speakers.

Overall the game is pretty easy to shoot, balls seem long, back this is compared to GB or TWD, probably the easiest playing STERN table in a while, if you get dialled in the ball can stay alive pretty easy. There where few cheap drains and the outlines are pretty forgiving. I posted a high score of 350mil or so on my second game. The rest of the games was more focused on exploring. Hard to tell much via score with the early code, but I would say 5- 10 Minute games would be standard for decent players.

Basically if I had to sum up the game I would say "watch this space" the game at the moment is really just a demo of what will be coming.That being said there are a few issues with the layout and some bricky shots, that code won't fix. I feel it would of benefitted from another couple of months in the design process. However despite everything I have said above, something just keeps saying that Lyman is going to make this game truly shine, the elements are all there for an amazing experience. Could end up being magical, time will tell....

#6989 7 years ago

Excellent review Simon. Thank you!

#6990 7 years ago

Thanks Simon for taking the time to post a nice detailed review, was great to read something impartial and give genuine reasons for the bad/critisism as well as the good, nice in depth read

#6991 7 years ago

great review write up!

#6992 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

So for the SLE, is it just the headphone jack in the coin door? What about external volume control? Maybe they didn't include that in case it goes on location.

They used the dollar bill acceptor slot, so that's going away if it's put on location anyway to make room for a DBA. Won't matter.

#6993 7 years ago

Here's a small update after playing some more. I found a loose screw wedged between the main toy and play field. Thank God I was in there tightening up the outlines.

I completed all four villains (thanks freindly outlanes). I promptly got a 3 ball multi ball before I knew the 4th villain was complete. I don't think it's coded any different than the main multi ball from what I can remember. I don't like repeating villains while others haven't come up yet. Friggin' Penguin, I'm looking at you here.

I really like the Catwoman mode and music. Penguin and his crane ain't bad. Joker is a pain in the butt and Riddler I don't understand yet.

Complete all four villains get the multi ball and then they go blank and start over, so need some work here, lots actually. I scored lots of gadgets and minor villains other than Shane, but didn't see any game play for or code impact yet. Lots of potential, but code is less developed than any NIB I've bought previously besides X-Men. I still love the game and it's a keeper!!!

#6994 7 years ago
Quoted from taz:

gadgets and minor villains other than Shane,

Shame

#6995 7 years ago

The current state of code probably has to do with the fact BM66 was rushed to meet the 30th/50th anniversaries it was originally scheduled for release after Aerosmith but Stern shuffled the releases. Aerosmith has been in development longer than BM66 which is why Aero has code that's much further along, due to the reshuffle Aero is supposedly going to release with completed code

#6996 7 years ago

Good catch. I guess I was thinking back to TWD television series when there was a true alpha male on the series who would have already kicked Negan's ass.

#6997 7 years ago

Does the scoop cliffy for dark knight fit Batman? Looking at the pictures, it looks identical.

#6998 7 years ago

I started a thread on how to modify the Stern used Batsignal Toy into a more TV specific Batman 66 version. check it out here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-batsignal-mod-tutorial-for-batman66

before_after (resized).jpgbefore_after (resized).jpg

#6999 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I started a thread on how to modify the Stern used Batsignal Toy into a more TV specific Batman 66 version. check it out here:

Weird that with a full-retro emphasis, they went with the modern logo. Unless they were just too lazy to get the toy insert right...

#7000 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Weird that with a full-retro emphasis, they went with the modern logo. Unless they were just too lazy to get the toy insert right...

Their custom toy sculpting has improved a lot. Look at sparky, the Aerosmith jack in the box guy, slimer, etc. I'm also surprised they didn't want to make a better batsignal. I'm assuming the decision was based on time mostly as this game seemed to be rushed to meet the batman anniversary and be ready for expo.

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 140 of 142.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-by-stern-new-info/page/140?hl=walt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.