PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 138 of 142.
#6852 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I noticed Atari 2600 was not on your list. Is it safe to assume you are still playing that system?
Speaking of dots, an off topic plug for an amazing homebrew version of Atari 2600 Pac-Man. This releases made up for the original piece of crap by Atari. I was so disappointed as a kid after my hard earned grass mowing dollars went to the Atari release of Pac-Man.
» YouTube video

Looks like they just hacked the 2600 Ms. Pac-Man, which was actually splendid.

And yes the 2600 Pac-Man was terrible. My family got it...on pre-order LOL. We got it months after everybody else and by then we already knew it sucked. And yet the pre-order scam continues decades later...

#6853 7 years ago

still hyping for your Flip Chris? lol.

#6854 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's not my fault that you have poor taste. There is zero artistry in video clips. They sucked rendered in dots, and they still suck as straight rips on an LCD. Not saying that they shouldn't be used at all, because there is reason to have some, but when it's the main visual element...that's terrible. Boo. Boring and stale.

jar155 you say Stern sucks you say the other companies do good work you don't want cut and paste yet tin man scarecrow lion face all cut/paste over there name

#6855 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Looks like they just hacked the 2600 Ms. Pac-Man, which was actually splendid.

Holy Hacks Batman! I agree, Ms. Pac-Man was already a great game. Googling for the hacked version now...

#6856 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Googling for the hacked version now...

Most people have only played the hacked (fast) version of Ms PM

#6857 7 years ago

The screen so far looks pretty underwhelming. It's going to take them a few titles until they learn what works the best, how to add value, etc. Right now it feels a lot like TBL... but even less refined than it.. which besides a few moments, to me feels like the screen doesn't add a whole lot.

There were a few things that stood out.. I liked how the batmobile zoomed across the bottom... the ball save.. some of the balloon overlays.

The TV clip scheme makes sense for this title... given you are celebrating the TV show.. and part of it's camp is the retro TV stuff. But it will be hard to break the 'just a bunch of media clips' scheme and get really creative. This is where JJP is really ahead of the pack, in experience and learning how to use that real estate and learn how handle both idle and multiple action moments. It will take time to learn how to best use this new medium.

We all know what it means when there is little custom speech in a game.. now imagine you have to somehow make that speech effective in a medium where people are used to seeing full motion video, not just animated frames. And it's not like you have the luxury of just shooting new video as much as you want with the actors (probably not any!). So now you need to integrate custom made video into your licensed content.. and the IP holder will have to approve your custom video too.

It's going to be interesting to see how Stern approaches this in the titles to come.

#6858 7 years ago

Hmmmmm......who can find the difference between the Batmobiles? One is from Stern and one came with my Batman TV Blu-ray discs. I am thinking something got busted off at the factory......

IMG_1713 (resized).JPGIMG_1713 (resized).JPG

#6859 7 years ago

My problem with the current LCD implementation, which will hopefully be resolved with future code updates, is this particular clip of the Joker mode. It literally repeats the same Joker video clip over and over, where he's flapping his gums and nothing is being said. It's like there is something wrong with the video and keeps skipping back to the beginning.. super annoying. They need to do more then just repeat video clips over and over with no audio.. maybe sync callouts to video clips or something.. but overall, I would consider this the worst LCD implementation on pinball so far (as far as interface and content goes) BUT.. I do like the size of the LCD and the location, so, my opinion could definitely change down the road..

#6860 7 years ago

Underwhelming compared to what?

It's a HUGE step forward for Stern pinball

Bat mobile streaming across the bottom is very cool.

I think the entire presentation is a fantastic start. Very similar to the slot machine

#6861 7 years ago

Inside the Box.

#6862 7 years ago

b (resized).jpgb (resized).jpg

#6863 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

but it's still not custom.

of course its custom!

#6864 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My problem with the current LCD implementation, which will hopefully be resolved with future code updates, is this particular clip of the Joker mode. It literally repeats the same Joker video clip over and over, where he's flapping his gums and nothing is being said. It's like there is something wrong with the video and keeps skipping back to the beginning.. super annoying. They need to do more then just repeat video clips over and over with no audio.. maybe sync callouts to video clips or something.. but overall, I would consider this the worst LCD implementation on pinball so far (as far as interface and content goes) BUT.. I do like the size of the LCD and the location, so, my opinion could definitely change down the road..
» YouTube video

That is painful to watch but im sure it like that bc of early early code...

#6865 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Hmmmmm......who can find the difference between the Batmobiles? One is from Stern and one came with my Batman TV Blu-ray discs. I am thinking something got busted off at the factory......

Maybe Stern got a price break for Batmobiles with broken radar antennas. I'd use the one from your Blu Ray set. Looks much better.

#6866 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

» YouTube video

It seems like 99% of the clips are lacking audio. I know people will say "early code" but shouldn't the video and the audio be linked? Are they going to add in the sound clips later? Seems like the two should be implemented at the same time.

#6867 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Comparing Stern to Dutch,Highway,JJP is like comparing the New England Patriots to the Cleveland Browns

Hey now...if we beat Pittsburgh this week the Browns will be on a winning streak.

#6868 7 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

It seems like 99% of the clips are lacking audio. I know people will say "early code" but shouldn't the video and the audio be linked? Are they going to add in the sound clips later? Seems like the two should be implemented at the same time.

Yeah, that's my thoughts- why add in the video clips but not the audio with it? One would think they would do it at the same time.. it almost makes me think they do not have any plans to do that since it's not there to begin with. That's a pretty big deal to not have completed by shipping..

#6869 7 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Maybe Stern got a price break for Batmobiles with broken radar antennas. I'd use the one from your Blu Ray set. Looks much better.

Well done! Checked my Expo pics and the Stern demo machine had the radar antenna.

#6870 7 years ago

Quick tour of the playfield. Videographer I am not.

#6871 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Underwhelming compared to what?

BoP
TBL
WoZ
TH

When you look at the evolution of WoZ to TH you can see how they are learning and pushing the edge on what the screen should do and show. The integration of old and new content.. the User Experience in in terms of where/how info is relayed or available.. and how its done. JJP is way ahead here in R&D.

Stern kept reiterating how they didn't want the LCD to take away from the game on the playfield... I think that is a bit of a crutch so far from what we've seen. Let's not forget, its now been almost 3.5 months since the game was announced.. plus the time the game was in development PRIOR to the announcement. Clearly the game is taking a long time. Probably like WOF was.. lots of new hardware to code on Spike, let alone the new screen development and media.

Quoted from iceman44:

It's a HUGE step forward for Stern pinball

That's fine.. but customers want great final product, not just your iterative steps.

#6872 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

but customers want great final product, not just your iterative steps.

Well that will probably cost them more then.

#6873 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Let's not forget, its now been almost 3.5 months since the game was announced.. plus the time the game was in development PRIOR to the announcement. Clearly the game is taking a long time.

I do remember last year's Stern Christmas (?) video when someone posted a still where it said "New Display" on a sheet at the wiring station if I recall correctly. At that time, we were still speculating whether or not this would be for Ghostbusters.

#6874 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I blame JJP. They got me back into pinball with the LCD.

LCD got you back into pinball? That's cool and all, but man, we're definitely in the hobby for different reasons. Why not, uh, watch movies or something? Serious question, I'm not being facetious. I keep hearing about how the Texas pinballers buy to own, not necessarily play. Like, it's the collecting that is the hobby. I guess I just don't get that mindset.

#6875 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Quick tour of the playfield. Videographer I am not.
» YouTube video

edit: n/m.. I need glasses

#6876 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Well done! Checked my Expo pics and the Stern demo machine had the radar antenna.

Actually thats the batbeam.

Speaking of the batmobile, the one on the turntable looks like it doesnt have a lot of detail on it. Could you tell.us the length of it and if there would be room to put on one of the better detailed ones there (like the one from the bluray set). I think the bluray one is a little longer and might not fit.

#6877 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

LCD got you back into pinball? That's cool and all, but man, we're definitely in the hobby for different reasons. Why not, uh, watch movies or something? Serious question, I'm not being facetious. I keep hearing about how the Texas pinballers buy to own, not necessarily play. Like, it's the collecting that is the hobby. I guess I just don't get that mindset.

There is no right or wrong reasons for being in the hobby. Reasons for collecting are wide ranging. For me, I enjoy learning about the mechanical assemblies and electronics. Playing is fun but not my prime reason for collecting. Enjoy the way you see fit.

#6878 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

BoP >> No
TBL >>> No
WoZ >>> No way
TH

>>> Yes for now

#6879 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It just got me interested in pinball again as something i thought was cool. I just happened to come across JJP surfing the internet.

I'm a Texas boy that buys to play. "Collecting" is secondary.

#6880 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Actually thats the batbeam.
Speaking of the batmobile, the one on the turntable looks like it doesnt have a lot of detail on it. Could you tell.us the length of it and if there would be room to put on one of the better detailed ones there (like the one from the bluray set). I think the bluray one is a little longer and might not fit.

20161229_155937 (resized).jpg20161229_155937 (resized).jpg

20161229_160136 (resized).jpg20161229_160136 (resized).jpg

#6881 7 years ago

"That's fine.. but customers want great final product, not just your iterative steps."

I'll take what I can get and i like it so far.

#6882 7 years ago

Bat time!!!!

IMG_1397 (resized).JPGIMG_1397 (resized).JPG

IMG_1399 (resized).JPGIMG_1399 (resized).JPG

IMG_1400 (resized).JPGIMG_1400 (resized).JPG

#6883 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern kept reiterating how they didn't want the LCD to take away from the game on the playfield... I think that is a bit of a crutch so far from what we've seen.

Probably so. "The game is played under the glass" per Stern. JJP's TH Lcd presentation and development is fantastic, a big step up from Woz, which is nice but too limited in material.

#6884 7 years ago

Ok Mark, fire that bad boy up and give us some video and reviews! Congrats my man. That's awesome.

#6885 7 years ago

Initial thoughts:

Game is gorgeous!!!

Even with early code, lots of fun, nice flow to ramps

Music is perfect for theme

Crane bash is great

LCD looks amazing!!!

Couldn't be happier!!!!

Must go play now...

#6886 7 years ago

Does need some spots on play field...topper didn't ship with it....if you guys need something to bitch about

There are some call outs, not many.....

Will give video a go....

#6887 7 years ago

Need a tripod for video......will attempt later...

The screen looks REALLY good even in present state

No ghosting of inserts

Cat woman not covered by ramps at all

Mini screen only showing 2 clips at this point ( but I've only played a few games)

Magnet acts a lot like monger ....slings the ball well, and holds on occasion

The insert lighting is very intuitive

Crane has a nice flasher on top, and already a very cool effect when bashed

Very, very pleased with this.....going to put on a few more games, then have to clean up some work stuff ( sitting in my office now)

Can't emphasize enough how amazing the music fits the theme......

#6888 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Need a tripod for video......will attempt later...

I thought you got a tripod when the game arrived.

#6889 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

» YouTube video

So much potential, from clips of the joker or any of the villains.

IMG_3612 (resized).PNGIMG_3612 (resized).PNG

IMG_3613 (resized).PNGIMG_3613 (resized).PNG

IMG_3614 (resized).PNGIMG_3614 (resized).PNG

IMG_3615 (resized).PNGIMG_3615 (resized).PNG

IMG_3616 (resized).PNGIMG_3616 (resized).PNG

IMG_3617 (resized).PNGIMG_3617 (resized).PNG

IMG_3611 (resized).PNGIMG_3611 (resized).PNG

#6890 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I thought you got a tripod when the game arrived.

That wasn't the bat gadget they gave me.....

#6891 7 years ago

Thanks for the batmobile pics. Looks like the disc it sits on is about 3". So that batmobile must be 1/75 scale since its full size length is 225". Most of the hotwheels are 1/64 or 1/50 scale so it looks like they wont fit on the turntable. Thats too bad since they are a little better detailed than the one on there already.

If anyone wants better detailed vehicles to add to their game their is a place called eaglemoss that makes die cast bat vehicles. They do all interations of batman from the tv to comics to movies. They have good models of the cycle, copter, and boat and others. They are slightly bigger than the ones Stern has on the SLE but they are better detailed. They each come with a mini diarama display and a magazine covering the vehicle. You can join their vehicle of the month club or just buy the ones you want individually on ebay.

DC658849lg (resized).jpgDC658849lg (resized).jpg
DC_Auto_24_01__81457.1422547497.1280.1280 (resized).jpgDC_Auto_24_01__81457.1422547497.1280.1280 (resized).jpg
batman-automibilia-bat-cycle-bike-30-adam-west-television-series-1 (resized).jpgbatman-automibilia-bat-cycle-bike-30-adam-west-television-series-1 (resized).jpg
DC500902lg (resized).jpgDC500902lg (resized).jpg

#6892 7 years ago

It's funny- as a kid I don't think I ever realized Cesar Romero (aka the Joker) had a mustache!I think I read he refused to shave it....lol.

Adam West must be in love with this machine....

#6893 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Comparing Stern to Dutch,Highway,JJP is like comparing the New England Patriots to the Cleveland Browns

I don't get it, please explain.

QSS

#6894 7 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Yes, congratulations Stern, your solidly behind Dutch Pinball, Heighway & JJP. You've finished 4th in the race to implement a LCD screen and bring innovation to the industry in a technical way.
QSS

Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Spooky also did it before Stern. Stern is 5th

Whoops, Stern is 5th.

Quoted from jlm33:

Worse than that. Two spanish manufacturers to add to the "before Stern" list:
- Marsa Play: The first pin to have an LCD is... a spanish pin, New Canasta (2010). http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5554
- Quetzal Captain Nemo also has an LCD. https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/captain-nemo

Sorry, Stern is 6th...... I mean 7th.

Good job Stern, you're still in the top ten in pinball technical innovation but your still #1 in the big ole cash grab

QSS

#6895 7 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Adam West must be in love with this machine....

Agreed..

just got home, so I won't get to play mine again until tomorrow...will have more info after that...think the big video demo is tomorrow anyway (?)

Some final takeaways from today ( and limited play):

Positives:

a) The machine is beautiful in its bright campy, color and theme. You really have to see one in person. No pics I've seen to date do it justice.
b) The LCD screen is really sized and incorporated well into the game. Looks like it belongs. All the video is very crisp, scaled properly, and with further coding, is going to be unbelievable ( imho). Zero glare on the play field from it
c) Playfield- glassy, nice coat of clear, and no noticeable defects from first round of inspections. Light show was a great mix of flashers, GI, and inserts looked great.
d) Gameplay- A lot of fun right out of the box. I set mine up full tilt, and will probably back down to 6.5 tomorrow. Minimal air ball activity. Ramps flowed great, plenty of speed, and game had a nice " pace" to it. The crane toy is solid and awesome ( think everyone knew that already). The turntable will prove to be a great multi toy, nice lighting under spinning bat mobile, the bat phone looks cool as shit when it glows and rings, mini LCD will prove to be intriguing over time...anxious to see updates on this.
e) Overall, the machine exceeded my expectations from a " theme deployment " standpoint.
f) ADD- the music was f**king spot on...went from cool jazz sax lines, to pure tv themed stuff...really, really liked it.
g) ANOTHER ADD- The signed Topps card looked great ( yes, it's legit, as I was watching him sign a shitpile of them at expo). Gomez and Lyman's signatures placed well on outlines...also looked great.
Negatives:

a) basic code- to be expected, but obvious there is a lot more capability for gameplay.
b) No spots on central characters in the middle of the playfield made that area a bit dark. Kind of a shock to me, as Sterns tend to glow in the dark. The turntable toy could use a bit more light, as well. Suspect 3, well placed spots cures this.
c) Glare from translite- The LCD doesn't reflect at all, but the translite is BRIGHT. There may be a brightness control for it ( kind of doubt it, but didn't have time to tinker much), but the glare on pf glass was pretty strong at the rear of the playfield. I'll throw a sheet of PDI in there tomorrow and tinker a bit.
d) Those 2 scoop areas will have to be dealt with, to prevent wear ( both pretty large). I'll go with Cliffys or Mylar, but definitely need protection there.
e) No topper w game ( not really a negative, just confirming others statements). I'll call Mike tomorrow to see when they might ship.

This is the game I wanted for my lineup...looking forward to some extended time on it over the next few days...mark

#6896 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

» YouTube video

That's the most obnoxious background music ? WTF
That's horrible

#6897 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That wasn't the bat gadget they gave me.....

Bat-wax is a great gadget for a pin though!

#6898 7 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Bat-wax is a great gadget for a pin though!

Agreed!!!! I need to find the episode he uses it on....Suspect it will cure lots of pinball noises....

#6899 7 years ago

Episodes #55/ 56 - The Impractical joker / The joke's Provokers

#6900 7 years ago
Quoted from RocketPin:

Episodes #55/ 56 - The Impractical joker / The joke's Provokers

Thank you, thank you...pinsiders rock!!!

There are 7,100 posts in this topic. You are on page 138 of 142.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-by-stern-new-info/page/138 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.