• Halle Barry 155 votes
    41%
  • Lee Meriwether 171 votes
    46%
  • Eartha Kitt 49 votes
    13%

(375 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 969 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3945 (resized).JPG
IMG_8821 (resized).JPG
20170111_211313 (resized).jpg
IMG_8785 (resized).JPG
IMG_8580 (resized).JPG
PhotoGrid_1484104656883 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104697396 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104747814 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104994689 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7100 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 142.
#5201 2 years ago

The thing is, I can buy these pins at the asking prices and still not be spending more than we earn. But that doesn't mean that I feel that the prices are worth it to me, or that I will be willing to pay it.

#5202 2 years ago

On another related note; I see stern spared no expense on their price hikes giving each BM66 model 6 whole color changing inserts! Prices are now justified

#5203 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Unfortunately, two of those three are already over your limit, and it is reported that the other, the next Stern pro, will be around $5200 or higher.

It's over my sensible limit...not financial limit. I'm buying used at this point.

#5204 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

On another related note; I see stern spared no expense on their price hikes giving each BM66 model 6 whole color changing inserts! Prices are now justified

I thought this was a special celebration pin so it should really have more color changing inserts than AcDc premum which came out 4 years ago. Don't you think? Just checking AcDc has 16 tricolor inserts.

#5205 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's over my sensible limit...not financial limit. I'm buying used at this point.

Yep

I'm not putting a price limit on anything for me. But I'm gonna be very picky going forward

I don't know how all these guys expect to keep selling huge quantities of $8k plus pins

They have so missed the mark long term but scooping up profits in the short term, can't blame them

IF they somehow can sell large numbers of $8k pins then what do you think is gonna suffer? The secondary market from people dumping older pins

#5206 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The thing is, I can buy these pins at the asking prices and still not be spending more than we earn. But that doesn't mean that I feel that the prices are worth it to me, or that I will be willing to pay it.

Quoted from Pimp77:

Same for me. I also urge people to never borrow money to buy a luxury item. Although I have the financial means to buy, these NIB prices are at the point where the value/worth per dollar spent is not there for me. I was brought up to be financially frugal/conservative and to spend money wisely on good quality things of need or entertainment that provide long term value. The equation does not make sense for me at the present extreme prices unless it is something truly special.

#5207 2 years ago

Hopefully we are about at the tipping point where the prices are so high the NIB sales will suffer. I am curious to see what happens with new games after the sales numbers fall. Will the manufacturers that survive simply cheapen games back down to the way they were around 2007-2010 such as Stern was making and lower the prices hoping buyers will come back? I also wonder how many people that are turned off will completely leave the hobby.

#5208 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am curious to see what happens with new games after the sales numbers fall.

If they fall.

LTG : )

#5209 2 years ago

Strikes me as funny that if Stern wanted to make more money than GBLE why not have 500+ LE editions?

They might not sell out as quick but if it's any good wouldn't it be better to sell 500 LEs?

#5210 2 years ago

In regards to people spending more than they make...I think it comes down to 1 simple change in society: we are spoiled. Ask someone who lives through the depression the difference between wants and needs. Then ask someone under 30 the same exact question. Needs and wants have been flipped. Today's generation is more worried about funding their wants, which they see as needs, and they view their needs as wants.

When my friends ask me why I need another machine, I correct them in that I don't need it, I want it.

As for Batman, I loved the show as a kid. The campiness should translate well to the machine.

As for the pricing, this wasn't a test for Aerosmith. This is going to be a test for Star Wars. I expect to see 100-200 SLE and another 600-800 LE machines.

#5211 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I thought this was a special celebration pin so it should really have more color changing inserts than AcDc premum which came out 4 years ago. Don't you think? Just checking AcDc has 16 tricolor inserts.

Maybe tbe designer decided he only wanted 6 color changing inserts. Do we know which inserts are the color changing ones? Have any of the newer sterns tried color changing GI yet?

I don't think the number of color changing inserts is linearly proportional to the quality of gameplay.

#5212 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Maybe tbe designer decided he only wanted 6 color changing inserts. Do we know which inserts are the color changing ones? Have any of the newer sterns tried color changing GI yet?
I don't think the number of color changing inserts is linearly proportional to the quality of gameplay.

Star Trek and Game of Thrones is full color changers.

#5213 2 years ago

If only Stern put as much thought and creative effort into actually designing their games as they did hiking prices a few more of us might actually be willing or tempted into paying thier bloated prices.

I am not ashamed to say it, if BM66 actually have some creative and icon theme based toys (magnetic wall ala kiss could have been tied into the lcd with batman & robin doing the famous bat rope climb, batcave entrance/exit with drop down sign to fireout pinballs for a cool intro to bat cave multiball, where's the iconic bronze statue with secret red button? Moving bookcase/drop target on upper pf with batpols behind leading to main/a lower pf?) I would have dropped the cash for one without any complaint, but what's there is lazy IMO it was a case of well this and this didn't work on BDK what can we whack in there place? the crane was great let's keep that, job done!

Batman just looks sparse to me especially for the asking price, and before anyone thinks this is Stern bashing I love Sterns stripped down games Ironman & Avatar are two of my favourite Sterns, but the asking prices reflected that at the time.

#5214 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

If only Stern put as much thought and creative effort into actually designing their games as they did hiking prices a few more of us might actually be willing or tempted into paying thier bloated prices.

I think they have actually, I'm happy to buy BM66LE on the heels of two fantastic pins in TWDLE and GBLE.

Pinball is supposed to be fun, and those two pins are the definition of fun for me!

#5215 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

If you deal with enough people, you soon realize that most people are exactly where they should be

Very well put !

#5216 2 years ago

Can't argue with you Ice, TWD is phenomenal and a premium is on its way to me infact, but TWD didn't come with a bloated price tag either and thanks to Lyman it's a hell of ALOT of pin for the money! GB saw a little price bump (not counting the crazy flipper prices we saw happening) but I won't comment on GB as I haven't had enough time on one.

I'm with you Ice (although a lot younger ) BM66 was close to a must have theme for me but I just feel it could have been so much more to the point I couldn't pull the trigger, if it had some of those iconic things from the show in it I would have fought you for an LE

I don't like the price hikes anymore than the next pinhead but if Stern (even JJP for that matter) are going to try and gouge us then at least make us feel like we are getting our money's worth while we are being gouged, for me personally that's more creative toys with theme integration.

#5217 2 years ago

While I do consider myself 'lucky' to have been born in the US and in middle class family with a good brain. I know countless others who were born where I was with similar brain, but they didn't work as hard (IMO) I put in a lot of hours at undergraduate, Med school and residency to get to my status which takes 12 years post-HS of education/training.

I'm not saying that it's so hard doing what I do, but it is a load of work to get here.

#5218 2 years ago

PS Batman is a theme for me as well, I was born in 1965 so I saw the re-runs. But IMO Stern didn't put too much (if any) more effort into this than any other pin (Met, ST, GB etc..) and in fact they show the PF with Cat woman's head covered by the ramp flaps. Maybe they'll fix that but I always believe to put your best foot forward. Don't rush it out and fix it later if you get around to it.

I would have considered the LE if it was in the $8's

Can someone tell me how much an LE is selling for? Is it really 9-something?

#5219 2 years ago

I think this is balderdash but here is a study:

Two-thirds of Americans would have difficulty coming up with the money to cover a $1,000 emergency, according to an exclusive poll released Thursday, a signal that despite years after the Great Recession, Americans' finances remain precarious as ever.

These difficulties span all incomes, according to the poll conducted by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. Three-quarters of people in households making less than $50,000 a year and two-thirds of those making between $50,000 and $100,000 would have difficulty coming up with $1,000 to cover an unexpected bill.

Even for the country's wealthiest 20 percent — households making more than $100,000 a year — 38 percent say they would have at least some difficulty coming up with $1,000.

#5220 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

We always pay a premium here but with BM66 LEs here in the UK are £10k give or take so roughly $12.3k

#5221 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I would have considered the LE if it was in the $8's

It was going to be approx. $8500

The feedback they got from distributors was demand was huge for the 240 LE's.

They priced it at $9500 and sold out all of them, with a wait list.

Too many flippers wanting to stick an extra $1k in their pockets. Why can't people get that through their heads?

So, Stern didn't need you to be interested in the $8k range. That simple. Sorry you didn't like the price Rai

#5222 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

LEs here in the UK are £10k give or take so roughly $12.3k

I'd be finding a new hobby if i lived outside of the U.S.!

Or just buy Heighway Nibs and used pins.

As bad as these prices are that is insane.

#5223 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think a big part of the problem, or reason for these continuing non stop price increases is due to the fact that we all keep making excuses to ourselves: Well, if I was in at $5k and that was my limit, is it really worth not having a pin that I want for $500 more? So now your new limit is $500 more than it was.
Then the next new and shiny pin comes out and it's a theme that you love, but it's another $500 more than your last (increased) limit. Same excuse/logic applies: if I were in at $5500.00 does it really make sense to deprive myself of a pin that I really want over $500? So your limit has now been increased by $1k.
So yeah, where does it stop?

It stops when the frog boils...

#5224 2 years ago

There are not hundreds of NIB flippers in this hobby...
There are however hundreds of people who think they can buy a game and get all their money back... so they are less price sensitive.

#5225 2 years ago

The LE is approximately $9,600 street price. How can this not have 100% RGB color changing inserts? Insane to me. My Game of Thrones LE looks like a bargain.

#5226 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There are however hundreds of people who think they can buy a game and get all their money back... so they are less price sensitive.

And there are hundreds of people who are about to be severely disappointed in the near future if they really think they are going to drop $8k+ on these pins and not take a hit when going to sell.

Wonder how that's going to work out in 2017?

#5227 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The LE is approximately $9,600 street price. How can this not have 100% RGB color changing inserts? Insane to me. My Game of Thrones LE looks like a bargain.

Exactly since Stern said there were no pros (wink-wink) there is only one version to code and so it's easier to drop in all color changing LEDs.

I found them very nice in AcDc (16 I believe they said) and STLE/premium all color changing. I find it a hard sell for me to pay for a LE/premium anymore if they just have 6 arrows that change color. In fact ST pro has 7 color changing inserts (woop-do doo) Stern can only find it in their heart to put 6 in their flagship so special it can't be a pro game.

#5228 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It was going to be approx. $8500
The feedback they got from distributors was demand was huge for the 240 LE's.
They priced it at $9500 and sold out all of them, with a wait list.

Some distributors still have BM66 LEs available from what I see online.

#5229 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Some distributors still have BM66 LEs available from what I see online.

How much? Who?

#5230 2 years ago

Does it really matter? The distributors do flipping now that Stern does not make it possible for regular folks to buy and sell for profit.
I am sure there are more. I have only done a 30 second search. Also, some distributors have not listed BM 66 for sale at all yet so several of them will likely have the LEs for sale later.

https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/pinball-machines/stern-pinball-machines/stern-batman-66-le-pinball-machine.html

https://www.pinball.co.uk/shop/pinball-machines-for-sale-new-used-fully-refurbished/batman-66-pinball-machine-by-stern-pinball/

http://www.pinballs.com/

#5231 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Does it really matter? The distributors do flipping now that Stern does not make it possible for regular folks to buy and sell for profit.
I am sure there are more. I have only done a 30 second search. Also, some distributors have not listed BM 66 for sale at all yet so several of them will likely have the LEs for sale later.
https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/pinball-machines/stern-pinball-machines/stern-batman-66-le-pinball-machine.html
http://www.pinballs.com/

Seriously? Run on over to Europe and pick one up for $12.5K

And if you call Automated you'll get put on a waiting list.

#5232 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Seriously? Run on over to Europe and pick one up for $12.5K

Automated Services is in Connecticut.

#5233 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The distributors do flipping now that Stern does not make it possible for regular folks to buy and sell for profit.

The distributors have always done some flipping, ala Automated, they have also gotten burned.

Pinball machines aren't for us regular folks to buy and sell for a profit.

That is the new normal fact. And people aren't going to like it.

Like i said, call Automated tomorrow and see what happens.

#5234 2 years ago

Hi All,
It is really about demand. There are enough people who get thrilled by purchasing Limited Edition pinballs. As long as there are enough folks wanting them, then manufacturers will produce them. The good news is that there seems to be enough machines in enough different themes and price points to keep everybody happy. (of course there are those who will never find happiness) I don't think Stern is forsaking its base customer. I think they are trying to use creativity to expand the market. It is never easy to make everyone happy. I think the strategy is to cover as much ground as is possible. So if a collector can find one or two new pinballs that tickle their fancy every year or two, then that seems pretty reasonable. In the last week we have sold a Ghostbusters Pro and Premium, an Addams Family, Fishtales, Stormship Troopers, Elvira PM, and a Big Guns. We restored for customers, a WHO dunnit, Shaq, and a Cybernaut. That is a pretty wide range of games. I remember the 90's when it seemed that pinball might not make it. I am really glad it went the direction it did. I really feel there is something for everybody. Maybe this pinball does not do it for you. Maybe the Areosmith or Star Wars will be the one? Maybe the pinball that is going to make your toes curl is on some drafting board somewhere. Designers working late hours dripping in sweat and inspiration. That is what makes this so great. Just when I think that I cannot be impressed or surprised by something new, someone comes out with a pinball that just bowls me over. For me, this Batman66 pinball has me excited. It is one of the reasons I come to this threat. It has so much cool advances in pinball that I just can't wait to get one in and pour over all the design features. I can't wait to put it all together and play twenty or thirty games straight. After all of that, then I will be able to formulate an informed opinion. I see the price is up there. Who could be pleased with that? I have paid top dollar for cars and fly rods. Sometimes I am thrilled and other times I feel like I paid too much. Life is full of these kinds of gambles. Life is also short so I look at it with that in mind. Of course it would be foolish to spend more money than is responsible. If the amount is something that falls within what I can afford and it makes me happy then money becomes less of an issue. I am not a big fan of flippers. I think they hurt this industry. Responsible dealers add value. Having said that, they have always been around. I presume they always will. I have found that it is best to approach any hobby with a smile on your face because that is what hobbies are supposed to do.

-Jerry

#5235 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I wouldn't take someone listing the game on their website as open availability..

#5236 2 years ago

If you don't like the price of BM66LE then buy a GREAT pin like GB or TWD premium, or GOT from what i have heard.

Or, wait until the 2017 lineup comes rolling out.

It will be jaw dropping.

DI, BM66 will be long forgotten (except by people like me).

Some amazing titles coming out next year!!!

#5237 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

$7500 for a JJP LE. $5k for a Stern Pro. $6500 for a Stern Premium, but it has to be fantastic.

I find these prices to be dead in line with my own feelings now. I have a psychological barrier at 5k for a Stern pro game, and I'm not going over it. They can test me, but I'm not going to give in. The game could deliver hot pizza slices and cold beer through the coin door, but the price better be less than 5k, or I'm not buying it. If they were looking for the top of my market, congrats, they found it.

#5238 2 years ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

It's a SPECIALTY pin. Gary described it in his talk as a SPECIALTY pin that they will be producing one every 18mos to 2 years or so. It's not their normal cornerstone pins that get released 3 or 4 times a year.
Chevy just announced a Corvette Grand Sport. It's $85k. No one is freaking out that Chevy is going under because of the pricing, or that the secondary market is smaller, or that its going to ride very harshly on normal roads. It's a SPECIALTY release. It's geared to have extraordinary appeal towards a small segment of buyers.
C'mon.

This is about the stupidest justification ever. STOP. USING. THE. CAR. INDUSTRY.

There are literally almost 100 million cars sold per year worldwide. A dealer (or distributor in this comparison) has a huge range of new makes and models to offer their customers. A specialty car coming out is something that they can completely ignore and it won't affect their business. If Stern wants to start making every 3rd or 4th game a "specialty pin," it's going to cause regular gaps in sales for distributors. It will harm the industry.

And to take it further, that "specialty" car is actually more expensive to make and manufacture. Stern is just arbitrarily charging an exorbitant amount for this game simply because they want to. There's no actual substance provided for the extra cost. This SLE is THREE TIMES the cost of a pro. In your car analogy, it's the equivalent of a going from a KIA Forte to a Tesla Model S. No matter how you want to use cars to support Stern here, it falls apart.

So yeah, c'mon.

#5239 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I find these prices to be dead in line with my own feelings now. I have a psychological barrier at 5k for a Stern pro game, and I'm not going over it. They can test me, but I'm not going to give in. The game could deliver hot pizza slices and cold beer through the coin door, but the price better be less than 5k, or I'm not buying it. If they were looking for the top of my market, congrats, they found it.

I'm not so sure about this Dave; if BM66 spit out a hot pizza and a beer every time I popped the game, I think I'd be a buyer....even at these prices

#5240 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

That's exactly their plan. Remember when GOTLE pricing was outlandish??

Now you think it's a bargain!

#5241 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

. If Stern wants to start making every 3rd or 4th game a "specialty pin," it's going to cause regular gaps in sales for distributors. It will harm the industry.

Based on what? Stern is already now maintaining probably double, if not more, titles at any time now compared to just a few years ago. To loose maybe 25%... Stern is still far ahead of where they were previously. Plus, the speciality games could represent different margins/revenue for the disti...

#5242 2 years ago

Any insight on how the video data will be stored on hardware? What did WWELE use for it's LCD videos?

#5243 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Based on what? Stern is already now maintaining probably double, if not more, titles at any time now compared to just a few years ago. To loose maybe 25%... Stern is still far ahead of where they were previously. Plus, the speciality games could represent different margins/revenue for the disti...

Stern is selling the SLEs directly.

#5244 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And there are hundreds of people who are about to be severely disappointed in the near future if they really think they are going to drop $8k+ on these pins and not take a hit when going to sell.
Wonder how that's going to work out in 2017?

*political comment removed*

#5245 2 years ago

Just a simple request to not add current politics to this topic.
Thanks

#5246 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Stern is selling the SLEs directly.

This time... If they do that or not, doesn't negate that taking one title out of the release cycle isn't a huge hit now that Stern has more than doubled their available titles at any given time. And if they continue to sell the SLE directly, the margin point still stands because Stern will be making way more margin per machine when they cut out the distributor.

I doubt they will continue that tho... Stern has little stomach for having to interface with customers.

#5247 2 years ago

BM66 isnt even out yet & the game has run it course.

That's why this thread is now about pizza, politics, philosophy & Stern's 2017 lineup.

#5248 2 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

That's why this thread is now about pizza, politics, philosophy & Stern's 2017 lineup.

Don't forget Tacomas and cabernets.

#5249 2 years ago

Over/under on when we see video of this game in action?

#5250 2 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

BM66 isnt even out yet & the game has run it course.

5,250 posts about a pin that hasn't even been release yet. That's called HYPE and you are still posting in the thread!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
There are 7100 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 142.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside