• Halle Barry 155 votes
    41%
  • Lee Meriwether 171 votes
    46%
  • Eartha Kitt 49 votes
    13%

(375 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 969 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3945 (resized).JPG
IMG_8821 (resized).JPG
20170111_211313 (resized).jpg
IMG_8785 (resized).JPG
IMG_8580 (resized).JPG
PhotoGrid_1484104656883 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104697396 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104747814 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104994689 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484104814366 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105059736 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105202108 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105252522 (resized).png
PhotoGrid_1484105154578 (resized).png
20170110_213017 (resized).jpg
20170110_125144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

26 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7100 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 142.
#5151 2 years ago

I need to come hang with ypu Odin!

#5152 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I need to come hang with ypu Odin!

Anytime! I got Monday Night Football on and the coals are blazing. I gotta go cook now...

#5153 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's not a bad life, I tell ya!

Who drinks Jack Daniels with french toast?

#5154 2 years ago

Texas Toast maybe....

#5155 2 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

There are exceptions but most rich people do not get rich by being 'lucky', unless you consider hard work and perseverance as being lucky.

there are a lot of trust fund babies around. Seems the less people have to work for money, the more they can justify paying stupid money for something.

#5156 2 years ago

If I had a trust fund, I might buy a new table. Kitchen table that is....

#5157 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's not a bad life, I tell ya!

Swap out the Jack for a nice 2007 Silverado Cabernet and I'm in! Add some onions, taters and some pinball... Yeah.

#5158 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

a nice 2007 Silverado Cabernet

All I can afford is a 2001 Tacoma pre-runner. But I think it's one of the best trucks ever made and I hope it will last me forever. So far so good.

#5159 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

All I can afford is a 2001 Tacoma pre-runner. But I think it's one of the best trucks ever made and I hope it will last me forever. So far so good.

I think he meant a wine.

rd

#5160 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I have to disagree Rob, they might be frugal when it comes to things that do not interest them but a rich fella who's into pinball will spend that money, I'm not rich but the guys I know with cash spend that much sometimes in a night on stuff and things that go with the stuff. If money was no object for me and I was a BM66 fan then I'd be trying to get the SLE with zero concern of price, but wouldn't spend a cent extra for car rims or fancy clothes, not into that at all, I understand what ur saying but most people I know with or without money don't see value in a pinball machine regardless of the price.

For me, I was really looking forward for this machine years ago,always wondered if the day would come.Now that it's here? I am passing due to the price.
Looks cool, I love Pinball, but ridiculous.You are paying for much of the licensing fees.I know all too well if you look @ my sig pic.

#5161 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I think he meant a wine.

At least he doesn't drive a Ford.

th (resized).jpg

#5162 2 years ago
Quoted from rajung:

Looks cool, I love Pinball, but ridiculous.You are paying for much of the licensing fees.I know all too well if you look @ my sig pic.

Maybe they can get this license a little cheaper and we can get back to pro prices again.

th (resized).jpg

#5163 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I think he meant a wine.
rd

Darn right I did.

image (resized).jpg

#5164 2 years ago

Yeah, but that's a merlot!

#5165 2 years ago

I agree w/Odin

Money only matters to people who need it.

Back OT tho.... Stern's BM66 price point is total dog shit

#5166 2 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Money only matters to people who need it.

Like this guy.

ku-xlarge (resized).jpg

#5167 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Lots of people work hard all their life and die broke. All hard work guarantees is a tired and broken body.
The stories that are endlessly repeated are those of the few that end up at the top of the heap because no one wants to hear the stories of the billions that struggled all their lives and didn't finish first.

That happens often, I'll admit, but we all have intelligence and willpower too. In the US there are options. Night school after work for 7 years; foregoing children; relocating away from friends and family out of comfort zones, 10 years in Bosnia, Oman, Iraq, Qatar, Afghanistan....worked for me. It damn sure wasn't easy and yes, there was a luck factor in not getting killed in Iraq or Afghanistan. However, there was also a shit ton of sacrifice. I'm sure there are a thousand different stories of similar sacrifice on Pinside by other pin buyers who weren't born with silver spoons in their mouths.

#5168 2 years ago

The price isn't an issue because I can or can't afford it. It's an issue because it's bad for the industry. This game won't be routed. The secondary market will be very small. Heck, the primary market will be small. This isn't good for anybody except for Stern's very, very short term numbers.

#5169 2 years ago

When are they going to release the game play?

#5170 2 years ago

The Cabernet vs Tacoma shit is gold I tell ya

I'm talking Spandau Ballet Gold

FYI wine is something I drink but far understand so I'd have replied with something similar (Honda Element tho)

#5171 2 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I agree w/Odin

yeah me too...
but that's a merlot !

#5172 2 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

When are they going to release the game play?

As close as possible to the machine coming out so people can't confirm that it's using re-purposed, slightly edited yet still dull BDK rules.

#5173 2 years ago

Mmm wine.

#5174 2 years ago

Looks like there's only one thing left to do.

DSCN5075 (resized).JPG

#5175 2 years ago

I do consider myself lucky. I love what I do. I get to play with all these cool toys! Having said that, I do enjoy getting the new pinballs out on the showroom floor. The biggest rush of all is taking an old pin that was given up for dead and doing a ground up restoration. I have a wildly done TOM. We did it in all brass, tons of mods, homemade topper, LED lights everywhere. We went crazy. Now I have it priced too high to sell. I guess that means I must want to keep her, for a while , at least, up until one of those trust funders has to have it. I know this new pin looks pricey. The thing I am most excited about is that it represents the first real and visible new generation in pinball that we have seen in some time. I hope what is inside lives up to the billing. One of the coolest things is that if I use it as a showroom display I can write it off my taxes.

-Jerry

#5177 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Looks like there's only one thing left to do.

Jack danials float?

#5178 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

damn that stars is in nice shape.

Yeah! Keep the wine ... I'll have the Stars.

rd

#5179 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Life isn't fair.
I just came up with that one on my own.

2000 years ago, Buddhism says the first noble truth is -

Life is Suffering.

And buying at these prices kind of hurts

#5180 2 years ago

So they throw a big huge epic 30 year anniversary party to announce a "new" game using a theme that's been done time and time again, taking that laziness even further by repainting a play field different and reusing a toy, then putting some bling on the thing that's borderline ghetto, pretending to make a super LE only to add more than double the initial limited run, raising the price even higher, and releasing an example that can't even flip or play a game yet. I'm bored with this one already, the minimal excitement I had is already gone and I'm moving on to something else.

#5181 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah! Keep the wine ... I'll have the Stars.
rd

Are you sure you could handle it? That Stars has been kicking my ass. I played at least 40 games on it last night and it was just stomping all over me. It's an angry game.

#5182 2 years ago

Money doesn't buy happiness that is absolutely true, but it helps to bring down the anxiety of everyday life...car breaking down, house needing new roof, college funds and retirement...etc.

#5183 2 years ago

Also I still don't want to give it to JJP or Stern for the heck of it. If I may bring the name Kaneda in the discussion, he had a nice blurb about games with magic on his podcast. I've been thinking that since Transformers. The kind of magic he was talking about was games that were made in the 80's-90's. Remember the first time you saw Rudy talking in FH? Or the Mist ball on BSD? Stern games are simply missing that magic..at least it's severely watered down. Maybe that's why we're less enthused about the price increases. IT NEEDS MORE MAGIC!

#5184 2 years ago

It's been beaten to death but as many people like/prefer Met pro as like the premium. IMO they're both fine. I dare say some people prefer the pro. I could give a f about the snake jaw, some people don't care for the hammer, my friend has one premium nib from day one he's had nothing but trouble with the coffin lock. He'd just as soon never have seen the coffin lock. I'm sure it *can* work well but it's not a sure thing.

No doubt the light show with color changing inserts is great, but like a car with heated steering wheel or Satellite radio against the same car without, I'm sure most people would prefer the heated steering wheel or Satellite radio but it's not the essence of the car, it's an added feature. People prefer Tron with the better arcade (mod) more than Tron with the basic stock arcade, but at the end of the day it's the same pinball. I wouldn't call a Tron with stock arcade garbage or one with the upgraded arcade far superior. Only folks with Met premium seem to argue that that pro is garbage.

Hundreds and hundreds of people have reviewed Metallica and the results are even. Dare I say this is the closest race since the Gore/Bush Florida election of 2000. I'll keep this picture here in case the premium folks decide to submarine the pro by giving lots of bogus votes as can happen here on good old Pinside.

image (resized).jpeg

#5185 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The kind of magic he was talking about was games that were made in the 90's. Remember the first time you saw Rudy talking in FH? Or the Mist ball on BSD? Stern games are simply missing that magic..at least it's severely watered down. Maybe that's why we're less enthused about the price increases. IT NEEDS MORE MAGIC!

How much is really gonna change when its all the same designers from 30 and 40 years ago, look at the new Sterns while some have interesting layouts for the most part there are reboots, I like the PL games from years back but Dialed In? come on, maybe what we need to breathe new life into this hobby are new designers who think out of the box or its gone as far as its going to go and will die in the next couple decades, I don't anyone under 35 who's into pinball, I know they are there but its a minority, I hate to say it but pinball is peaking right now and that's great, however it won't last and the next time she goes down that will be the end of it, or I completely wrong, I hope so.

#5186 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The kind of magic he was talking about was games that were made in the 80's-90's. Remember the first time you saw Rudy talking in FH? Or the Mist ball on BSD? Stern games are simply missing that magic..at least it's severely watered down. Maybe that's why we're less enthused about the price increases. IT NEEDS MORE MAGIC!

But now we have LCD's!!! Pure MAGIC!

#5187 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Also I still don't want to give it to JJP or Stern for the heck of it. If I may bring the name Kaneda in the discussion, he had a nice blurb about games with magic on his podcast. I've been thinking that since Transformers. The kind of magic he was talking about was games that were made in the 80's-90's. Remember the first time you saw Rudy talking in FH? Or the Mist ball on BSD? Stern games are simply missing that magic..at least it's severely watered down. Maybe that's why we're less enthused about the price increases. IT NEEDS MORE MAGIC!

You are right on the money with this. Pinball is all about magic. When you look at a machine and think, "How did they do that?" it adds to the enjoyment of the game. Imagine how cool slimer would be if you couldn't see how he was suspended. And kudos to Heighway for getting rid of the through the playfield switches.

One thing that could use improvement is hiding the wires especially for the spotlights. It looks like they made a beautiful game then rolled out the extension cord to plug the lights in. It should be doable to come up with a way to power things on the playfield without having the wires exposed and it would make a huge difference.

Oh and F#*k the troll king.

#5188 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The price isn't an issue because I can or can't afford it. It's an issue because it's bad for the industry. This game won't be routed. The secondary market will be very small. Heck, the primary market will be small. This isn't good for anybody except for Stern's very, very short term numbers.

It's a SPECIALTY pin. Gary described it in his talk as a SPECIALTY pin that they will be producing one every 18mos to 2 years or so. It's not their normal cornerstone pins that get released 3 or 4 times a year.

Chevy just announced a Corvette Grand Sport. It's $85k. No one is freaking out that Chevy is going under because of the pricing, or that the secondary market is smaller, or that its going to ride very harshly on normal roads. It's a SPECIALTY release. It's geared to have extraordinary appeal towards a small segment of buyers.

C'mon.

#5189 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Life isn't fair.
I just came up with that one on my own.

Exactly, it's random. Just a big game of chance.

#5190 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

How much is really gonna change when its all the same designers from 30 and 40 years ago, look at the new Sterns while some have interesting layouts for the most part there are reboots, I like the PL games from years back but Dialed In? come on, maybe what we need to breathe new life into this hobby are new designers who think out of the box or its gone as far as its going to go and will die in the next couple decades, I don't anyone under 35 who's into pinball, I know they are there but its a minority, I hate to say it but pinball is peaking right now and that's great, however it won't last and the next time she goes down that will be the end of it, or I completely wrong, I hope so.

Experience is bad for creativity.

#5191 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Exactly, it's random. Just a big game of chance.

It sometimes seems that way, especially when we're down, but I think we have more control of our situations than we realize. Yes, chance is a factor in accidents, wrong place-wrong time events, unexpected repairs, Vegas, terrorist attacks, etc. However, we also have free will and our decisions play a huge role in defining our futures. Contributing factors include who we hang out with in our youth, having children too soon, substance abuse, gambling and other bad habits, dropping out of school, decisions on whether to stay at home or leave, who we marry, etc. A bad event can appear to be chance, but there might have been a dozen decisions over years leading up to it. We also have to learn from our bad decisions.

Take my stupid JPoP investment for a $10K non-existent RAZA, and other pre-orders around the same time, for instance. It was a bad decision I made, actually a half dozen bad ones, as it was a long-term payment plan. I learned a valuable lesson from that experience. I don't believe it was bad luck or chance that got me, rather it was my bad analysis and reasoning.

#5192 2 years ago

If you deal with enough people, you soon realize that most people are exactly where they should be

#5193 2 years ago

I consider myself very fortunate. I don't consider myself lucky.

If I look back at my career, my successes, and how I got to where I am I can trace it all to the work I put in. The energy I put out. Nothing fell in my lap. Opportunities arose because I put myself into position to be there for them. I believe in making your own luck.

Part of being successful in what I do is that I have 'play money' that I can spend on toys. I drive a nice car, because I decided to splurge on one. I buy pins when they make me happy.

But I'm not made of money, I work for it, and it's not unlimited. Dropping $9k on something isn't casual for me, I need to weigh that. And the scales just don't balance for a $9k game. Who cares what the theme is? Still nine thousand dollars for a pinball game like any other pinball game. Another LCD or another magnet or whatever, great, but it doesn't mean the values suddenly balance.

New games are exciting to talk about, it's a lot of what we do here, because how many times can you tell everyone how great Flash Gordon is or whatever. New is fun. But the fun is vanishing for me. If this relentless price increase trend keeps marching I'm gonna bail on buying any of them. And the greedy companies can either survive off rich dudes or wonder where they f**ked up.

#5194 2 years ago

I see a lot of people upset at game prices. I'm certainly in that camp - I can't even afford used games anymore, let alone new ones.

However, from a manufacturing standpoint, selling fewer high priced items is a lot easier than selling a lot of lower priced one. Less parts on hand, less time to build, less after sales support. Easier to run off 200 games than 2,000.

#5195 2 years ago

0b1590ac319ec9f887254cfdb2f8f36f (resized).jpg

#5196 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I see a lot of people upset at game prices. I'm certainly in that camp - I can't even afford used games anymore, let alone new ones.
However, from a manufacturing standpoint, selling fewer high priced items is a lot easier than selling a lot of lower priced one. Less parts on hand, less time to build, less after sales support. Easier to run off 200 games than 2,000.

That logic works fine for small, boutique shops. Once you're larger, Stern sized for instance, you've got to feed the beast and keep the line running. That's why Stern loves to say they're not a pinball company, they're a manufacturer. They make shit. Assembly line, factory, boom boom boom.

200 games doesn't keep the line running, and it doesn't justify the rent etc on the square footage.

Aerosmith will supposedly be a $200-500 increase from the old prices, and have a Pro. Batman66 is obviously overpriced because of the Kamikow/studio whatever deal.

I suspect Premium/LE buyers haven't hit their real pain point quite yet. But Pro buyers, how much more increases are they willing to soak up? The days of sub $5k games are over. When do you bail? Is $5500 too much?

#5197 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The days of sub $5k games are over. When do you bail? Is $5500 too much?

I think a big part of the problem, or reason for these continuing non stop price increases is due to the fact that we all keep making excuses to ourselves: Well, if I was in at $5k and that was my limit, is it really worth not having a pin that I want for $500 more? So now your new limit is $500 more than it was.

Then the next new and shiny pin comes out and it's a theme that you love, but it's another $500 more than your last (increased) limit. Same excuse/logic applies: if I were in at $5500.00 does it really make sense to deprive myself of a pin that I really want over $500? So your limit has now been increased by $1k.

So yeah, where does it stop?

#5198 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So where does it stop?

$7500 for a JJP LE. $5k for a Stern Pro. $6500 for a Stern Premium, but it has to be fantastic.

#5199 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think a big part of the problem, or reason for these continuing non stop price increases is due to the fact that we all keep making excuses to ourselves: Well, if I was in at $5k and that was my limit, is it really worth not having a pin that I want for $500 more? So now your new limit is $500 more than it was.
Then the next new and shiny pin comes out and it's a theme that you love, but it's another $500 more than your last (increased) limit. Same excuse/logic applies: if I were in at $5500.00 does it really make sense to deprive myself of a pin that I really want over $500? So your limit has now been increased by $1k.
So yeah, where does it stop?

overspending-statistics (resized).jpeg

#5200 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

$7500 for a JJP LE. $5k for a Stern Pro. $6500 for a Stern Premium, but it has to be fantastic.

Unfortunately, two of those three are already over your limit, and it is reported that the other, the next Stern pro, will be around $5200 or higher.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
There are 7100 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 142.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside