(Topic ID: 228835)

Batman '66, Beatles '64, let the 1962 speculation begin!

By yancy

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by J85M
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Ka-Pow's most likely 1962 theme is...”

• Beach Boys 2 votes
      11%
    • Rolling Stones 1 vote
      5%
    • James Bond 8 votes
      42%
    • Lawrence of Arabia 0 votes
    • The Lucy Show 1 vote
      5%
    • Beverly Hillbillies 3 votes
      16%
    • Spacewar! 1 vote
      5%
    • other (post in thread, smart guy) 3 votes
      16%

(19 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

51zTAwN-MaL (resized).jpg
    wolfman kre photo (resized).jpg
    gto62 (resized).jpg
    RSt (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

You can't fool me, Joe Kaminkow. I know a pattern when I see one. Every two years, release a game with a theme two years older than the last. Let the 1962 speculation begin! Vote for your favorite 1962 theme, or add to the list.

First, the obvious: Beach Boys sign to Capitol Records and release their first album Surfin' Safari. Odds-on favorite for next Ka-Pow title, if you ask me. Not quite Jesus big like the Beatles, but held their own vs. the fab four; Rubber Soul inspiring Pet Sounds inspiring Sgt. Pepper. For my money, Pet Sounds all the way.

The Rolling Stones formed in 1962. Not a strong Ka-Pow contender though, with Mick-on-a-stick still leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Axl Rose was born in 1962. Will they beat JJP to the punch on GNR? Doubtful.

MC Hammer was also born in 1962. Wait! Don't drain the thread yet. I can do better...

Obvious contender number two is the James Bond movie franchise, which kicked off with Dr. No in 1962. Sean Connery is still alive, and who knows, might just be itching to appear on a pinball machine after missing his chance with Meteor. (It's a shame there's no Zardoz pin.)

Dark horses for 1962 movie themes include Lawrence of Arabia and Mutiny on the Bounty. I'm not old enough to care about either one.

Marilyn Monroe died in 1962. Too morbid, though. Best to wait for Ka-Pow to release her 1945 birth year pin in... (quick napkin math)... the year 2037.

1962 was a good year for television, with The Lucy Show and Johnny Carson debuting on the same night. Other notables include The Beverly Hillbillies (hard pass) and The Jetsons (just imagine it without ramps, Ka-Pow style).

Silver age comic books were in their prime in 1962, seeing the debuts of Spider-Man (way too soon), The Hulk (green games don't sell), and Namor the Sub-Mariner (who cares).

And finally, a left-field contender: Spacewar! The first video game distributed outside a single research institute. Just imagine the video mode (zzz).

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

did odin take over your account?

I was bored.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-beatles-64-let-the-1962-speculation-begin?tu=yancy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.