Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by NimblePin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0297.JPG

#1 12 years ago

Hi pinsiders. I threw together a basic nudging skills video, which is based on my observations of some really good players in the local leagues.

#2 12 years ago

Cool johnnyo, now we have a video to send any newbies out there that start another "how do I nudge?" thread. Easier to show than to type and describe.

#3 12 years ago

Great video, will use some of those techniques in the future.

#4 12 years ago

Too much nudging IMO...
    I guess I am a calmer, more premeditative nudger. I will usually nudge when the ball is at least 3*-12" away from the dreaded "SDTM" drain. Not the continual nudger/adjuster like in the vid. It just wastes too much energy constantly trying to dry-hump the machine... (Just my two tokens BTW! )
    Owning TRON has made me a better, more focused nudger- especially with the left out-lane. It is usually certain doom if the ball gets rolling anywhere near the top-upper left sling. Before, I would always push too hard, too fast. Now, it is more deliberate and short to avoid the tilt warning.

Bowen is still the best player to watch and learn from- so calm, so focused, so awesome!

(* 3" response time for a freshly shopped PF on a SDTM drain... )

#5 12 years ago

That guy Walter moves kind of funny when he did the nudge. There's a really cool DVD that explains all that called Pinball 101, you might want to check it out.

#6 12 years ago

You save balls heading for the middle by nudging when they're 5" - 12" from the drain? Are you nudging or slide saving? I would have to guess the latter.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Are you nudging or slide saving?

Nudging...
    Just ever so slightly too. It imparts just enough sideways movement when the ball is that high to get some portion of the flipper on it safely. Since my pins are on carpet, slide saving is not an option. (Unless I get those furniture pucks... Which I wont- because slide saving is not worth it IMO.)
    Just relax...
    Encourage the pin to help you!

#8 12 years ago

I'd be interested to see your technique. Maybe you can make a vid?

The ball is relatively frictionless moving across an open area of the playfield, so I'm having trouble understanding how nudging when the ball is that far from the flippers would help. It would seem to me that the cabinet would already reset by the time the ball got near the drain.

#9 12 years ago

I'm having trouble understanding how nudging when the ball is that far from the flippers would help.

The key word is "relatively" frictionless... Everything is subjected to friction. Especially a spinning/rolling pinball. 2-4 millimeters of upper PF movement on a falling pinball does wonders by the time it reaches the flippers.
    Also most routed PF's are neglected, so you can comfortably alter the ball's path further away. True, on a freshly shopped pin it is more difficult to do at that distance, but not "impossible". So I will amend it down to a three inch response to a ball on a fresh PF jonnyo. Even though 5" is better and 12" is a sure save. Would that make you happy?

Video of me playing pinball = boring...
    I am not that animated when I play; also, practicing nudging is much better than watching it.
    Here is my TRON high score though, as a olive branch...
    (Factory everything, 3 ball, out-lanes wiiide open.)

IMG_0297.JPGIMG_0297.JPG

I am sure there are others that have this beat...
    But with no Portal multi, this is all I could muster with SOS.

#10 12 years ago

I think when he asked for a video of you playing, he meant a video showing the playfield of your pinball machine while you were playing (which would show the technique you're describing) - so it doesn't matter how animated or not you are. *

I'd also like to see a video of your technique in action - i've never heard of nudging the machine while the ball was that far up to save the ball from an SDTM drain.

*As an aside, most good players i've seen aren't animated while they play. I'm not animated either (unless you count a victory dance to the music TZ plays after entering high score >.> ), but then again, I'm not a good player. I did finish with the 3rd highest score at the local tourny last week though.... unfortunately, it was a pingolf tourny (and I'm talking about the tourny score, not a score on any game <.<

#11 12 years ago

Nice video, jonnyo. Thanks for taking the time to put that together! The only problem is that now I want an I500 more than ever.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from DrAzzy:

*As an aside, most good players i've seen aren't animated while they play. I'm not animated either (unless you count a victory dance to the music TZ plays after entering high score >.> ), but then again, I'm not a good player. I did finish with the 3rd highest score at the local tourny last week though.... unfortunately, it was a pingolf tourny (and I'm talking about the tourny score, not a score on any game <.<

ha ha ha. When I have a bad competition game I say "too bad this isn't pin golf..."

The game in the video had a fairly loose tilt for a competition game, which is partly why I chose it. Super tight games only allow really modest nudging, so little that people watching the video might not be able to see it.

@nimble - Don't get defensive. It's not that I don't believe you but in my experience, nudging like that doesn't work for me. But if it works for you, I believe you and that's why I want to see it - to see what you're doing that I'm not. I always want to learn new things.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from DrAzzy:

I think when he asked for a video of you playing,

Yeah, I got that message good Dr...

Quoted from jonnyo:

Don't get defensive.

I was just covering bases with you jonnyo. It sounded like a challenge with the- "I'm having trouble understanding how..." Which usually means, "Hey dumb-ass, your doing it wrong!" Hence, the photo.

Now that we are clear.
    Everything is "Super Green"...
    At least I hope it is. We can hug it out at PPE11 over drinks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/basic-nudging-skills and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.