Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by wdennie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I need to fix a weak flipper on my new (to me) 3 flipper Star Trek TNG. I have 2 basic questions.

1. If I rebuild the flippers should I be switching out the coils too?

2. Should I be rebuilding all the flippers at the same time or just the weak one?

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

just change the coil sleeves, usually weak flippers means possible dirty optic's.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from wdennie:

just change the coil sleeves, usually weak flippers means possible dirty optic's.

How much loose/play are the flipper links?

#4 1 year ago

It's not bad... just won't consistently make it up the ramps and one flipper is visibly stronger than the others. Just found this thread too... I think I'm going to order the rebuild kit without the coils.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#5 1 year ago

Coils rarely need changed.

Replace the sleeves, coil stops and all the mechanicals to return them to factory strength.

Marco and pinball life have rebuild kits to make it easy. Not cheap but do it all at once to save time in the long term.

Do all your flippers at the same time as they all will have the same number of work cycles on them.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

I need to fix a weak flipper on my new (to me) 3 flipper Star Trek TNG. I have 2 basic questions.
1. If I rebuild the flippers should I be switching out the coils too?
2. Should I be rebuilding all the flippers at the same time or just the weak one?
Thanks!

No point in replacing coils if they are in OK condition. If it's very difficult / impossible to remove the coil sleeves, that's a sign of heat damage and it's time to replace. Otherwise don't bother. Coils aren't cheap.

Rebuild both at once. It's an extra 20 minutes. Flippers are the one thing you don't want to cut corners on.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If it's very difficult / impossible to remove the coil sleeves, that's a sign of heat damage and it's time to replace.

^^This.

Before you order, see if the coil sleeves can be removed easily.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

It's not bad... just won't consistently make it up the ramps and one flipper is visibly stronger than the others. Just found this thread too... I think I'm going to order the rebuild kit without the coils.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Do you have a manual? might want to make sure you have the right coils in it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside