Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wdennie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I need to fix a weak flipper on my new (to me) 3 flipper Star Trek TNG. I have 2 basic questions.

1. If I rebuild the flippers should I be switching out the coils too?

2. Should I be rebuilding all the flippers at the same time or just the weak one?

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

just change the coil sleeves, usually weak flippers means possible dirty optic's.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

just change the coil sleeves, usually weak flippers means possible dirty optic's.

How much loose/play are the flipper links?

#4 4 years ago

It's not bad... just won't consistently make it up the ramps and one flipper is visibly stronger than the others. Just found this thread too... I think I'm going to order the rebuild kit without the coils.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#5 4 years ago

Coils rarely need changed.

Replace the sleeves, coil stops and all the mechanicals to return them to factory strength.

Marco and pinball life have rebuild kits to make it easy. Not cheap but do it all at once to save time in the long term.

Do all your flippers at the same time as they all will have the same number of work cycles on them.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I need to fix a weak flipper on my new (to me) 3 flipper Star Trek TNG. I have 2 basic questions.
1. If I rebuild the flippers should I be switching out the coils too?
2. Should I be rebuilding all the flippers at the same time or just the weak one?
Thanks!

No point in replacing coils if they are in OK condition. If it's very difficult / impossible to remove the coil sleeves, that's a sign of heat damage and it's time to replace. Otherwise don't bother. Coils aren't cheap.

Rebuild both at once. It's an extra 20 minutes. Flippers are the one thing you don't want to cut corners on.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If it's very difficult / impossible to remove the coil sleeves, that's a sign of heat damage and it's time to replace.

^^This.

Before you order, see if the coil sleeves can be removed easily.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

It's not bad... just won't consistently make it up the ramps and one flipper is visibly stronger than the others. Just found this thread too... I think I'm going to order the rebuild kit without the coils.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Do you have a manual? might want to make sure you have the right coils in it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 85.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/basic-flipper-rebuild-question-coils-no-coils-all-or-one?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.