(Topic ID: 330736)

Basements. Why Are They There And Where Are They?

By punkin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

van7 (resized).jpg
    VmY.gif
    G4 Basement - 2-24-2023, 12.59.28am (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    A2D62432-F2A7-4191-BC8D-37F895F5C24F (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    did-you-ever-lick-a-battery-1860948446 (resized).jpg
    giphy (13).gif
    DSCF2023[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF2018[1] (resized).jpg
    1024px-Cheater_plug_edited (resized).jpg
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    11800578-8E47-431E-965C-8B54FFDE8485 (resized).jpeg
    https___cf-images.ap-southeast-2.prod.boltdns.net_v1_static_664969388001_40bd71aa-98ec-4d2e-8215-f8e5927b6948_d2c1035c-e00a-4450

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 1 year ago

There are virtually no basements in my area. My house is just 16’ above sea level, which is considered high elevation for this area. Houses are restricted to 35’ maximum height, too. That has to do with the Navy’s master jet base and their radar requirements for the coast.

#309 1 year ago
    Quoted from 7oxford:

My theory is that if the Japanese were making pinball machines the’d be far more innovative and half the price, half the weight and twice as reliable.

Sega did make pinball machines in Tokyo. They came up with a few innovations, but fell far short of those predictions.

https://www.pinballnews.com/learn/japanesepinballs/index.html

#328 1 year ago
    Quoted from robm:

but its not uncommon for 300-500mm of rain in 24 hours

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I know the South Pacific gets a lot of precipitation, but that really puts things in perspective. Here on the mid-Atlantic coast we will only see those numbers from a really significant weather event, such as a slow moving hurricane.

2 weeks later
    #433 1 year ago

Back to topic on basements, when my then fiancé and I were looking for our first home, we toured an amazing, well preserved, Victorian house in the Ghent neighborhood of Norfolk, Virginia. It was three stories of beautifully detailed woodwork, built by Robert E. Lee’s adjutant general after the war. At the end of the tour we went down to the basement. There was evidence of frequent and severe flooding, and even water marks on those old walls going all of the way to the basement’s ceiling. It just goes to show you should not dig basements at sea level!

Also, it was only on-street parking. Pass, but we did consider it for a brief moment.

#436 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

The best houses are built by adjunct's.

Fixed. Thanks. Stupid spell correct!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/basements-why-are-they-there-and-where-are-they?tu=zombywoof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.