(Topic ID: 330736)

Basements. Why Are They There And Where Are They?

By punkin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

van7 (resized).jpg
    VmY.gif
    G4 Basement - 2-24-2023, 12.59.28am (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    A2D62432-F2A7-4191-BC8D-37F895F5C24F (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    did-you-ever-lick-a-battery-1860948446 (resized).jpg
    giphy (13).gif
    DSCF2023[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF2018[1] (resized).jpg
    1024px-Cheater_plug_edited (resized).jpg
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    11800578-8E47-431E-965C-8B54FFDE8485 (resized).jpeg
    https___cf-images.ap-southeast-2.prod.boltdns.net_v1_static_664969388001_40bd71aa-98ec-4d2e-8215-f8e5927b6948_d2c1035c-e00a-4450

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ultimategameroom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Basements are OK!
    Just make sure that if your games are in your grandma's basement, you have a sump pump and an Escalera in case of water flooding in, so you don't need to raise funds for a pump or borrow and break an Escalera to get your games up from the basement.

Good recommendations.
    Here are a few more:
    1) if building new and there’s not enough slope on the lot to incorporate a walk out basement door extend the foundation walls and build a set of exterior walk down basement stairs.
    2) if possible install two sump pump pits and two electric pumps(when one of them fails in 5-10 years the other will still function) in addition to a water pressure powered or heavy duty Marine/RV battery back up sump pump.
    3) get a natural gas auto generator or at least a small gasoline generator to power the pumps during an extended power outage.
    4) make sure you have a sump pump rider on your homeowner insurance policy. I pay $60 a year for $15,000 coverage. If you don’t have one they will give you $0.

3BA0747F-FD50-4EA5-ABE7-40A140ACD268 (resized).png3BA0747F-FD50-4EA5-ABE7-40A140ACD268 (resized).pngD44B8C00-72EC-468F-8E9E-C7401AEF7F59 (resized).pngD44B8C00-72EC-468F-8E9E-C7401AEF7F59 (resized).png
    #83 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

So aside from saving money not making the ground floor of a house storm proof, it must cost more to dig a hole and create a space than it does to build the same space where there is already room for it above ground.
    Then you don't have to fight nature the whole time pumping water out etc which costs money too.....
    I mean, if it was that much of a benefit then why aren't they common here?
    People get defensive when i point out the differences between our two countries, nearly got lynched for asking why you guys don't have switches on power points the other day. But to me, it's interesting to see the small differences in these things and to wonder, in the words of a famous country man of yours..
    [quoted image]

Surprisingly the cost of a square foot of unfinished basement area is less than half the cost of one square foot of living space above it.
    As others stated winter frost is a huge consideration.
    Also comfort is a huge factor. Spend 8 hours standing on a concrete floor vs the same amount of time on a subfloor built over a foundation or crawl space. My knees and ankles hurt after a few hours of standing/working on a concrete floor.

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I've always wanted to build on a hill for that reason, but on flat ground?
    Floating slab please.

Walk out basements are a dream come true for most pinball and arcade collectors,
    Especially if there is a turn in the basement stairs!
    Just make sure that you install a French door and not a sliding door so both panels open to give you a full 6 ft opening.

2637C3DE-0726-4D7E-83E0-03FC451C86F0 (resized).png2637C3DE-0726-4D7E-83E0-03FC451C86F0 (resized).png656D4F89-8516-403A-B1C8-7561F70D449A (resized).png656D4F89-8516-403A-B1C8-7561F70D449A (resized).png
    #89 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

Good tips. I run a garden hose to test them twice a year. It’s keeps the pumps from locking up from no use. I typically have one fail every other year. Gravel likes to get sucked into the pump.

I forgot to say if you only have one sump pit
    Buy an extra pump and prep it so it can be swapped out very quickly in case of a failure during a big storm.

You are correct a piece of stone/Gravel or a stone chip can jam the pump impeller and render it useless.

I recommend anyone who has a sump pump keeping a basement with machines in it dry to get a pair of thick rubber elbow length gloves and clean out their sump pit to ensure there’s no stone or debris present. I’ve seen new or newer homes with a few inches of mud/stone that got knocked in during construction.

#142 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Simple: Use to be a lot cheaper going down than up, at least in the midwest.
    Getting water away from the house is a must, but really common sense regardless of a basement or not. I think the rule of thumb for down spout drain tile is 10 feet away from the house. A common practice is to have 'perk' test done to the soil prior to digging. Haven't done one myself, but I think they just bore a hole down and see how much water there is after awhile, maybe someone can elaborate.

In my area perk tests are normally only done if installing a septic system. A backhoe digs a small hole and a specific amount of water is then added. Then they time how long it takes the water to drain into the surrounding soils.

#395 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

First time you run into one of them squat toilets that look like a urinal laying down. Might not be rough, but it is an adventure.
    LTG : )

My buddy sent me a pic of a bathroom he used in India. It looked like a strange combination of a shower and a urinal that was mounted flush with the floor that you squatted over. It appeared the only way to use it would be to completely remove your pants and underwear.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ultimategameroom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/basements-why-are-they-there-and-where-are-they?tu=ultimategameroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.