(Topic ID: 330736)

Basements. Why Are They There And Where Are They?

By punkin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

van7 (resized).jpg
    VmY.gif
    G4 Basement - 2-24-2023, 12.59.28am (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    A2D62432-F2A7-4191-BC8D-37F895F5C24F (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    did-you-ever-lick-a-battery-1860948446 (resized).jpg
    giphy (13).gif
    DSCF2023[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF2018[1] (resized).jpg
    1024px-Cheater_plug_edited (resized).jpg
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    11800578-8E47-431E-965C-8B54FFDE8485 (resized).jpeg
    https___cf-images.ap-southeast-2.prod.boltdns.net_v1_static_664969388001_40bd71aa-98ec-4d2e-8215-f8e5927b6948_d2c1035c-e00a-4450

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

See how easy it is to fall into the why trap?
    Because, it saves you flooding your neighbour out and just passing the problem from yard to yard. Your yard is not a fucking bog, only the water that falls on the yard is there, rain from roofs goes to stormwater, into the river or ocean.
    You already have the hole dug for the sewer/water/power pipes (recurring theme here?) so why not?

Every municipality is going to have a different rule or law on this in the US. In many areas, we used to mandate and/or allow storm water into the municipal sewer... but then it changed because flooding out the water treatment plant with turds is more costly for everyone.

However, just because it's dumped into the yard, does not mean the yard is a bog. Many municipalities have strict rules about not being allowed to flood out the neighbors. Some communities have a shared storm drain for rain water that you are allowed to tie into. Some use dry wells, some yards have soils with great ability to absorb the water, some collect rainwater for recycling, etc., etc. Every situation is different but generally no-one is allowed to dump into their neighbors' yards.

As far as basements, I can only speak for the Midwest near the Great Lakes. 1. Better resale (people want basements. 2. Tornado shelter, and 3. What was already mentioned many times and ignored, the fact that in a climate where the dirt freezes solid, you're already digging and pouring concrete 42, 48, or 60 inches underground.... so another few feet and you got an underground room the size of your house. And yet, not all homes in the US Midwest have them... many of the lower cost houses are on slabs (still with concrete foundation walls that must go down 42, 48, or 60 inches.) Google "frost heaving" if you need to know why a slab still needs a foundation to go below the frost line.

If you're looking for a one-size-fits-all answer for the US, there's not one. Great plains, mountains, deserts, swamps, beaches, hills, sand, clay, rock, freezing temperatures, etc... there's great diversity in building styles and traditions across this country.

#111 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

If someone had the choice under same conditions no one would rather a concrete slab over a basement.
    #facts

Agreed. And the assumption that "basement = flooding" is just flat out wrong.

While many new houses in the Chicago area have sump pits and pumps to keep basements dry, my 120-yr-old house on a hill in good soil has a dry basement without any sump pits, pumps, or drainage pipes. Every situation is different, and one house may have chronic basement flooding while the neighbor does not.

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Still a problem that doesn't need to be managed if you don't live in a hole.

Asked and answered. At this point you're trolling.

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

I think this statement really takes the cake here.

For sure. But he can't start arguments with Google results.

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Really? Maybe you should step away then if you can't see the interest in exploring other cultures.

Oh boy. I took the time to give you a lengthy answer before so you're way off base saying something like that. Trolling? Ok, fair enough, might have been too harsh. But it sure seems that way when you ignore the answers given.

Quoted from punkin:

You said one house will be fine and next door needs managing?
    If you don't have a hole under your house it doesn't need managing. I don't know why that's trolling, it's a large part of my original question.

Except that detailed answers have been given and it seems like you want to argue without taking those answers into consideration.

1. Tornados. In the Midwest, the basement is the safest place. Unless you're within walking distance of a cave, culvert, or other kind of bunker, people like the peace of mind during a storm. If you notice most of the deaths from a tornado are from trailer parks, where obviously they have no access to a suitable storm shelter.

2. For the third, etc. time, "FROST HEAVING". This one seems to be glossed over. We do not allow "floating" slabs except for driveways and sidewalks. Slabs need a foundation that is BELOW the frost line. In the Chicago area, that is 42". It areas north of Chicago, that 48 or 60 inches. So even if you opt for a slab, you must install foundation walls UNDER the slab that are nearly halfway to where a basement floor would be. Since you already have a concrete slab, and the remaining issue is whether it's at ground level or basement floor, you also already have AT LEAST 42" of the basement wall. At this point, it's cost of additional excavation, a little more concrete in the wall, and the lumber for the first story's floor.

3. Resale. I cannot speak for other parts of the US, but in the Midwest, resale value is increased greatly by basements. More-so if they are finished into living space. You can argue about stupid holes all day long, but people around here see value in the added storage space, utility space, and sometimes converted living space.

4. Not to mention an out of the way place for your water heater, boiler, furnace, HVAC, electrical panel, plumbing, etc. Frees up living space upstairs and makes for quieter house when you don't have your furnace blower in the closet next to your living room couch.

Quoted from punkin:

Basements need maintenance and infrastructure the sheds don't. You can build a shed next to your house, same as you can build a basement under it.

I have a basement and I have several sheds. You could not be more wrong if you think a basement needs more maintenance than a shed. Not to mention the fact that apparently your climate is very different from the climate where I live. In the Summer it's very humid (70-90%) and hot (90's F +) with frequent thunderstorms. In the Winter it's cold (0 F sometimes -10 F) with frequent snow accumulation. Gusty wind is common in all seasons. Wood structures rot if they are not maintained, and roofs blow apart when neglected.

Quoted from punkin:

The bit i can't get my head around is saying that it's cheaper to remove all the ground between your deep foundations, than it is to put a floating slab on the side of your house and build a shed connected by a door.

Because you keep ignoring the fact that we do NOT allow "floating" slabs, not even for garages. Slabs need deep foundations when you live in an area with frost heaving. Why dig half a basement and pour a slab over it?

Sheds also take up square footage. I live on many acres, other people live on city lots with almost no yard space for a shed. However, lots of Midwestern homes have either an attached or a detached 2-car garage on a slab.

Quoted from punkin:

So you don't need to pay for the ceiling in a basement. Tick

Sheds are free?

Quoted from punkin:

But you do have to have posts and piers to support the slab above that you wouldn't need if there was no basement. maybe that would pay for the floating slab for your connected games room?

Offset against cost of shed.

Quoted from punkin:

You do have free walls too i suppose, but you still need to do the cladding etc if you want it to look like some of the games rooms here, so it's the outside cladding and the framing/insulation that's extra for a shed.
    I'm thinking the difference is way over the 50% cost claimed here.

Cost doesn't matter when the cost is more than recovered. It's a feature in demand and resale value increases.

Quoted from punkin:

You have free insulation, but you have to manage the water that runs down there outside the walls.

Outdoor water mitigation is exactly the same, or should be. On a slab, you do not want water absorbing, eroding, and pooling underneath or splashing onto your structure. Water is damaging whether there is a basement or not. Gutters and downspouts are there to carry water AWAY from the structure for protection of the structure.

Quoted from punkin:

You have easy access from inside the house, but you have stairs.
    Connected shed, easy access, no stairs.

You're against free exercise?

Kidding aside, we do not force people to use stairs or dig basements.

Quoted from punkin:

Heard some claims that it's not taxed as part of your house, in Australia we are taxed on land value only. It's the same for a vacant block as it is for a 4 storey mansion. So i give you a couple points for that, assuming that the regs are the same all over the country there on land tax like they are here. It's a fed thing.</quote>

For us, property tax is state by state, no Federal. For the purposes of real estate, the square footage of attics, basements, non-living space, etc. are not counted. Even finished basements are not counted. For the purposes of taxes, they don't tax by square foot around here... they are supposed to use "fair market value" on a 3-year look-back, and I am only speaking for the State of Illinois, which is the second highest in property taxes in the US.

So we are left (in my mind) with some minor cost savings in construction, that are likely to be eaten up by reserve pumps etc, let alone the odd fuckup where it goes wrong and there is damage....

Another misnomer. This is not a bilge pump that is running 24/7. If this pump fails, other things usually also need to go wrong. I.E.... unless water table is literally under your feet, the sump pump rarely runs unless there is a severe storm. Even then, you usually have enough warning, and some have a backup pump.

Well, I don't what else to tell you. Some people obviously want basements or they would not be in such demand around here.

#162 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

This is a learning exercise for one of us.

That's for sure.

"Since this foundation type has no footings, insulation is laid underneath the slab and along the edges to prevent frost penetration."

Again, "floating" slabs are NOT allowed here. Period. You want the phone number of my county building department so you can learn something about the differences between frost heaving and frost penetration?

#168 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

From the link:
    In this foundation type, footings integrate into a monolithic slab unit.

From the link:

"Since this foundation type has no footings, ..."

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Seeing as you downgraded the troll comment, i'll do you a deal and downgrade my comment about leaving the thread.
    Maybe you should have a good look at the tone of the thread. You are the only person here with aggressive argument as your goal.
    To roll your eyes at someone learning something new says more about you than me.

Me too ... musing along, even using a cute emoticon. It's unfortunate you read it otherwise.

#174 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

You'd reckon the engineers would have thought about that before they took the product to market, but maybe not.

Nobody is knocking that product. However not every building product is suitable for every geographic location.

We freeze in the winter and it literally lifts concrete out of the ground. Floating slabs are not allowed here for that reason. Our slabs need walls that go underground at least 42".

EDIT: As per my previous posts, I say "here" and it only refers to US Midwest, northern IL, Chicago area.

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

why doesn't the rest of the world have them everywhere?

For all the reasons explained already. Different climates = different needs.

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Also, I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but a lot of new houses in the US are being built *without* a basement.

Which geographic areas? I ask because that does not seem reflective of what's currently being built in the upper Midwest. Many Chicago suburbs even prohibit slab homes as they are seen as cheaply constructed.

#185 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I get the freezing thing and the foundations, but there are many basements in areas where that doesn't apply too, correct?

I suppose that is true. I've lived my whole life in the Chicago area so I cannot say with certainty how much.

People that I know who move here from other parts of the US have remarked about basements being more common in this area. Also, like mentioned in a previous post, many Chicago suburbs institute building codes that prohibit homes on slabs as those are considered "cheap" or "poor".

It's also typical for people that live in colder climates to retire to warmer climates. Many Chicago retirees end up Florida, Arizona, and Texas. They take with them any predispositions ... I could see them building a new house with a basement because that's what they are used to from "back home".

#193 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Seems the danger is the biggest sad sack, nosy, disapproving bastards are the ones that would want to run for election on those things.

100% true.

So glad I don't have one, but they are becoming more of the thing.

On the flip side, nobody goes to the meetings. It just takes one unhappy homeowner to read the by-laws, gather enough petitions, show up to meetings, and finally take the thing over or dissolve it.

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

then it might cost ten bucks to get one with a switch

yeah... but we never had them. So they're not readily available because they're not standard.

Quoted from punkin:

But for the sake of a measly one off cost for the convenience of having a switch on a wall socket or a power board, why not have them?

Personally, I don't see the need. Do you bend over to switch your lamp on/off at the outlet mounted 12" above the floor? Would it not be better to switch your outlet from the wall switch at normal user height near the door?

#198 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Like Wild, Wild Country where they took over the town?

Hahaha... not quite. An HOA is just a quasi-private organization in charge of cutting grass in common areas, telling you what you can't store in your shed, and dictating color of your window shades. It's not really government.

#202 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

... didn't have them when we were kids, why do we need them now?

That's a question for your building department in charge of electrical code.

A lot of the electrical code here in the US has to do with end-user behavior rather than actual safety of wiring. Example: one code says you must have at least one receptacle every 12 feet of wall. Nothing to do with safety of the wiring, but everything to do with trying to keep people from needing extension cords.

#211 1 year ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

I agree you have to secure your slab and protect from frost heave, but a basement is not the only solution....it's just the one people have convinced themselves they need.

Yes. I never claimed that a basement is a solution for frost heave. I am countering that a slab here cannot be "floating", so after installing the slab's foundation walls to proper depth, you are really really close to having a basement.

#214 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

One thing I always wondered was if they had a sump pump - yes they do. Wonder how much it runs?

Probably only when it rains.

One thing about the ground when it's dry... it takes some time to start to absorb water. In other words, when the rain hits, it just runs immediately into every crack until the clay gets wet and expands.

#229 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Ahhh, so they are available there?
    i got the impression in the other thread that they were not readily available for want of demand.

This is the closest thing we have, and I have NEVER seen anyone mount one in place of a regular outlet near the floor. It's a separate switch and outlet typically meant for the convenience of having an outlet near a wall switch. You'd have to wire the switch to the outlet to do something equivalent to what you have. (Also, you would lose one receptacle if you're using it in place of a duplex receptacle near the floor.)

Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg

#237 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

In IL they don't ever switch like a living room outlet where a lamp is going to go or be plugged in? Same for bedroom switches for lamps by the bed or corner of the room.

Some older houses have wall switches up near doorways that control wall outlets for plugged in lamps.

Otherwise, I am not sure what you're asking about IL specifically. Illinois counties follow National Electrical Code with some additional requirements.

And no place in the US is doing like the OP is saying. We do not typically have receptacles with their own self-contained switches near the floor.

#238 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

We can do this just as easily, but most people will use two doubles for home theatre etc.

This is common...

Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg

#242 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I think it would be stupid to have them on all of the outlets.

Certainly not convenient. Most people plug something in and forget about it. Once plugged in, it has its own power button. Otherwise, cannot imagine controlling things via a special switch 12" above the floor.

#247 1 year ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

So instead what happens is you use the outlet for other stuff, and some joker comes in the room and hits what they think is a light switch but kills your TV or snake lights instead.

hahaha.... exactly... plug something in and it doesn't work... run around the room flipping wall switches to see if the appliance is broken. It's not an ideal setup.

#248 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

... and New York and also lived in a few places in Michigan, where the set of two outlets were mounted vertical, but in Chicago, most of the time they are horizontal...

I don't think that's true at all- that there is a regional way of doing that.

I am in Chicago and see duplex outlets mounted both ways... referring to houses wired in 1940's through present day. Some vertical and some horizontal.

Just a few examples:

House built in 1970's - vertical everywhere except kitchen.
    Two blocks away, house built in late 1970's - horizontal throughout.
    Another house in between from late 1960's - vertical throughout.

Also, Maybe vertical was predominantly in older homes and horizontal is newer... but I would not go so far to claim that as fact any more than a regional thing.

I could go on, but I believe this was up to the electrician whether or not they asked preferences of homeowner.

#258 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Most basements have windows, even homes on flat lots. Most are above grade, but some are wells that are dug out for escape windows in case of a fire.

Yep. Around here you cannot use a basement as living space without an "egress" style window. It must be a certain minimum size, a certain height off the floor, and be able to open or remove for an emergency.

#276 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Deadset that's what you think happens if you have a switch next to the socket?
    People must be different in the United States of America.

My comment to the other person had nothing to do with your funny switched sockets, and please do not take me out of context.

I was merely responding to him about our shared experience within older US homes that have chest-high wall switches at the doorway controlling certain outlets near the floor... not one bit directed at you.

#283 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

... Japan has toilets down.
    If it’s better it’s better.

Never been there. Which kind are you referring? The squat floor-hole or the sit-down?

#285 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

There's no reason to be rude.

I'd roll my eyes, but I don't want to be rude.

#316 1 year ago
    Quoted from robm:

I just can't fathom how a grate/drain in front of a door where water is rushing down a concrete set of stairs could get water away quick enough

But it does. Compare a drain pipe at the bottom of the stairs to a drainpipe coming off a roof. The roof has a lot more square footage of water collection and yet the gutters (eaves-troughs) and down-pipes can handle it. The stairs have less square footage than the roof and can also handle it... or should have been properly designed to handle it.

#318 1 year ago
    Quoted from robm:

Land is really flat all around, so nowhere for water to go

In that case, I'm surprised water retention ponds are not mandatory... although it would be expensive.

#342 1 year ago
    Quoted from robm:

Doubt this would work, unless people dug holes many many metres deep, very close together. Its really just a matter of letting the water gradually flow away to creeks. In the meantime, kids get boogie boards out and drag them behind a motorbike and have fun!

I don't know how it would work for you. Every geographic area is different. It works around here whenever a large mass of concrete covers earth... warehouses, parking lots, shopping malls, etc... all require a retention pond(s); low grassy area(s) that collect and hold the water until it absorbs into the ground.

#350 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

As discussed elsewhere, we have a stormwater system in the towns and cities, so it's all piped out to sea eventually. Shopping centers, factories, car parks have drains that lead to pipes undergound. It's all pretty civilized.

We have those too. Depends on the infrastructure of the area.

Quoted from punkin:

As far as the switches on power sockets go, you guys are thinking only of using the switch to turn things on and off. The main reason we have a switch there is so you can turn the power off before connecting or disconnecting an appliance. No chance of arcing.

There would only be arcing if the appliance being plugged in is already in the "ON" condition. Seems to be an issue of human behavior that won't necessarily be solved by adding a second switch. Don't plug something in when the switch is left on... in your case, two switches.

#352 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Not everything has separate switch mate.

Halogen work lights, no switch.

In the US, lights, including halogen work lights, typically have their own on-board switches... seems more convenient to control the work light at the work light.

#373 1 year ago

Lots of interesting information here...

https://moss-design.com/basement/

"WHY DO CHICAGO HOMES HAVE BASEMENTS

... Cold weather above ground translates to freezing soil below the surface and the colder the air, the deeper the frozen ground. The freeze thaw cycle that take pace in that frost region can crack a concrete building foundation so its important to dig the foundation for any building down below the typical frost line. ... Excavating four feet of soil out from under a new building takes a lot of equipment and effort – but once you’ve begun, it takes only a little more to dig down a few more feet and have enough headroom for a whole ‘nother level of the house. Or better yet, dig down just those required 4’ and then set the “ground floor” a few feet above ground level."

Yes... reminded me of something I neglected in my previous replies. It's not dig down 42" and you're "halfway to a basement". You are more than halfway, since many foundation walls are poured to stick out of the ground several feet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basement

"... However, basements are considered standard on all but the smallest new buildings in many places with temperate continental climates such as the American Midwest and the Canadian Prairies where a concrete foundation below the frost line is needed in any case, to prevent a building from shifting during the freeze-thaw cycle."

#374 1 year ago
    Quoted from rod90:

It is a bad idea to try and keep your basement dry during an actual flood. You are depressurizing your basement and the sediment coming through any crack will cause your walls to cave in.

If you have enough flood water to wash away concrete walls, no normal sump pump could keep up anyway.

There are situations where if water is allowed to leak from under floor drainage pipes, it can wash dirt into the sump pit and large voids are created around the foundation, and eventually the entire building can shift or sink.

#382 1 year ago

There's always that one guy who jumps on Facebook only to post a bitch-session about the stupidity being posted on Facebook.

#393 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

... Life changing.

Pooping away from home must be rough?

#397 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

... but I guess to save the world we should go slab..
    https://www.ecohome.net/guides/2279/slab-on-grade-technical-guide/
    Won’t somebody please think of the concrete trucks?!!
    It looks pretty good but I don’t think we were designed to run around on concrete all day. ...

That's for sure.

But the article makes dubious claims, is poorly written, and factually problematic.

"In a cold climate zone a basement foundation counts on being buried at depths of between four and five feet to protect the footing and basement floor from freezing temperatures."

But it's not to "protect the footing and basement floor from freezing temperatures". It's to get the structure below the frost line to prevent heaving up and down with the seasons. Isn't it amazing how builders and engineers in freezing climates quickly learned this lesson?

"Whether you start construction with a slab-on-grade or a foundation, in the absence of bedrock both will be resting on dirt. So one is not more 'stable' than the other, or more suceptible [sic] to frost heave than the other"

Yes, everything is resting on "dirt" and that's about all they got half-ass correct in that sentence, spelling and grammar included. (Is it still considered "dirt" everywhere... what about sand? I digress.)

When a foundation is on "dirt" BELOW the frost-line, it is more stable and not susceptible to frost heaving. When a floating slab is on "dirt" at grade level ABOVE the frost-line, it is less stable and completely susceptible to frost heaving. Even without frost heaving, there are certain ground conditions where a slab is much more stable with a foundation or footings.

#399 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I always thought radon was a bit overblown, reminds me of when they took apples out of school cafeterias decades ago. I mean, you open shut/doors, furnace stirs up the air, some tile systems routinely have a drain near a window well (i.e. that's a vent right there). While radon itself might be an issue, I'm not sure if it's an issue w/respect to a sump pit in a house. I just read where 21,000 people die from it each year...wonder how they prove that?

I was thinking the same. I am not 100% sure, but radon became more of an issue when houses became more sealed up and energy efficient. The gas gets trapped and accumulates as opposed to older homes where it can be replaced by fresh air leaking in windows and other cracks.

I am not sure how they attribute radon with specific health conditions. Google says the main health concern is lung cancer, but I don't know how they pinpoint the root cause, especially if somebody has other lung cancer triggers... industrial environment, smoking, etc.

#401 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

There is a lot of good information on it and how free radicals damage people’s lungs and can lead to cancer. My home was like 9 times above the acceptable limit, I can ship you some. No cost

Oh please... I am not saying it's not real ... for sure a real cancer risk. I just think it's been established that there is less accumulation of radon when a house is not sealed up tight. I also know it's naturally occurring, and depends on location, geography, foundation, soil, bedrock, etc., etc. That's why we have test kits.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky672.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/basements-why-are-they-there-and-where-are-they?tu=sparky672 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.