(Topic ID: 330736)

Basements. Why Are They There And Where Are They?

By punkin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

van7 (resized).jpg
    VmY.gif
    G4 Basement - 2-24-2023, 12.59.28am (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    A2D62432-F2A7-4191-BC8D-37F895F5C24F (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    did-you-ever-lick-a-battery-1860948446 (resized).jpg
    giphy (13).gif
    DSCF2023[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF2018[1] (resized).jpg
    1024px-Cheater_plug_edited (resized).jpg
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    11800578-8E47-431E-965C-8B54FFDE8485 (resized).jpeg
    https___cf-images.ap-southeast-2.prod.boltdns.net_v1_static_664969388001_40bd71aa-98ec-4d2e-8215-f8e5927b6948_d2c1035c-e00a-4450

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rod90.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 1 year ago

Basements provided crop storage and inclement weather protection. My hometown was in a flood-plain and it still had basements in nearly every home. You just did not put anything valuable down there.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from bdw85:When I was living in the North Bottoms during college my basement apartment flooded twice. Not from water ingress from the rains, but from the basement drains backing up due to the sewer system being overloaded during rain. I was happy to have it during tornado season but you definitely did not want to have anything irreplaceable down there.

Probably not as many as were lost in barns or warehouses with leaky roofs.

What good are basements when the whole town is under 2' of water. How did you survive the great flood? My house in Winslow was destroyed.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from bdw85:

When I bought my house in Fremont I had the luck of picking something on the north side of town away from the Platte. When the great deluge came in 2019 the entire south part of Fremont was underwater but I was fortunate enough to not get a single drop of water in my basement. All of my games lived to see another day. Sorry to hear about your house, hopefully insurance made things right.

Those were some crazy times. I heard the whole town was cut off from all 4 directions. They had to have the National Guard deliver groceries.

As for my house and commercial property, it was paid for. I did not carry flood insurance. I was already living in Lincoln at the time and could survive without the lost income.

#56 1 year ago

Our house is listed a 1 story and 975 sq ft living space. It has a full basement not listed as part of this. When looking at a house with those conditions, would you prefer a house with a slab or a basement at similar pricing.

#175 1 year ago

On Thursday, January 24, 2019, Metal Building Services Ltd. filed a canadian trademark application for Econo-Slab trademark. Metal Building Services Ltd. is located at Burlington,ONTARIO L7L6A3,CANADA.

The Econo-slab thing is a new idea. I would not want to be on the experimentation side of that. Plus, I like my basement.

#186 1 year ago

Texas. My sister's manufactured home was sitting on cinder blocks.

#269 1 year ago

Install those switched outlets in your home here and see how many of them are left on all the time.

#349 1 year ago

We have 120V in the states. Any arcing that you might see is a minor light show. Any place that has a known explosion hazard is equipped to handle such occurrences. No need for a home environment.

#372 1 year ago

It is a bad idea to try and keep your basement dry during an actual flood. You are depressurizing your basement and the sediment coming through any crack will cause your walls to cave in.

2 weeks later
    #441 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Can't argue with that. Makes you stronger if you carry a bag of grain everywhere you go too.

It beats having to carry a stone around.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rod90.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/basements-why-are-they-there-and-where-are-they?tu=rod90 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.