(Topic ID: 330736)

Basements. Why Are They There And Where Are They?

By punkin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

van7 (resized).jpg
    VmY.gif
    G4 Basement - 2-24-2023, 12.59.28am (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    A2D62432-F2A7-4191-BC8D-37F895F5C24F (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    did-you-ever-lick-a-battery-1860948446 (resized).jpg
    giphy (13).gif
    DSCF2023[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF2018[1] (resized).jpg
    1024px-Cheater_plug_edited (resized).jpg
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    11800578-8E47-431E-965C-8B54FFDE8485 (resized).jpeg
    https___cf-images.ap-southeast-2.prod.boltdns.net_v1_static_664969388001_40bd71aa-98ec-4d2e-8215-f8e5927b6948_d2c1035c-e00a-4450

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Alright.
    Why not build the house stronger, and go up?
    No need to fight nature, the water flows downhill from the roof.
    If you dig.......

Simple: Use to be a lot cheaper going down than up, at least in the midwest.

Getting water away from the house is a must, but really common sense regardless of a basement or not. I think the rule of thumb for down spout drain tile is 10 feet away from the house. A common practice is to have 'perk' test done to the soil prior to digging. Haven't done one myself, but I think they just bore a hole down and see how much water there is after awhile, maybe someone can elaborate.

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I forgot to say if you only have one sump pit
    Buy an extra pump and prep it so it can be swapped out very quickly in case of a failure during a big storm.
    You are correct a piece of stone/Gravel or a stone chip can jam the pump impeller and render it useless.
    I recommend anyone who has a sump pump keeping a basement with machines in it dry to get a pair of thick rubber elbow length gloves and clean out their sump pit to ensure there’s no stone or debris present. I’ve seen new or newer homes with a few inches of mud/stone that got knocked in during construction.

And if installed along side the primarily (like mine), run the 2nd sump pump off a separate breaker. My 2nd pump is actually a combo (1/2hp + battery backup). Separate discharge line too.

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

See how easy it is to fall into the why trap?
    Because, it saves you flooding your neighbour out and just passing the problem from yard to yard. Your yard is not a fucking bog, only the water that falls on the yard is there, rain from roofs goes to stormwater, into the river or ocean.
    You already have the hole dug for the sewer/water/power pipes (recurring theme here?) so why not?

Do you dump rain water into the sewer line? Big no-no state side. Cities did that ages ago, and now they have to separate at a huge cost. Prevents raw sewage from dumping in the rivers when the system is overloaded because of rain water.

#148 1 year ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

In my area perk tests are normally only done if installing a septic system. A backhoe digs a small hole and a specific amount of water is then added. Then they time how long it takes the water to drain into the surrounding soils.

Thanks, that's interesting.

We're a small addition (35 houses) out in the boonies. But the city made the developer run a sewer line, no septics. Water is still from individual wells.

But I do recall some people doing a perk test for the basement when building. So maybe they can do double duty (septic or water table).

#203 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Also, I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but a lot of new houses in the US are being built *without* a basement...

That seems to happening more often in our neck of the woods recently, even talked to a builder about it. I guess building a basement has recently become a lot more expensive. Maybe another reason is that a possibility of a bad perk test goes away (i.e. they can build on more lots).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is a lot of basements (even in new houses) are insulated wrong. Code here is basement insulation (usually just the roll stuff) and a vapor barrier. That combo can trap moisture the the wall since the condensation point can potentially occur between the vapor barrier and cement wall. It would be better to spray foam the walls to the point there's no condensation and skip the vapor barrier. Then frame after the foam. Or insulate the outside walls (other issues might crop up tho).

#212 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Agreed. I'm in the Mid-atlantic (DC area), and it's spotty here - many houses in wealthier neighborhoods have them, many in less wealthy do not. TONS of houses in the south and the southwest (e.g. Arizona/New Mexico) are on slabs though.

I was just in the Phoenix last week (I live in the midwest) and went to an Airbnb that had a basement. Definitely rare out there, entire addition seemed to have them (newer houses, around the $1M price tag). One thing I always wondered was if they had a sump pump - yes they do. Wonder how much it runs?

#218 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Let's call that "insulation installed wrong". There should be a 1/2" or more gap between the framing and the cement wall because - hey there's moisture in that there cement! Takes a decade to dry out, if ever. The vapor barrier should be skipped pretty much always, because the moisture will go towards the lowest point of pressure: inside the room! But as you pointed out, this is better than trapping it and causing mold.
    Nobody does this - for understandable reasons (homeowner: omg I lose square footage! contractor: what do I care?). Spray foam installed like that will just be wet forever against the concrete. Not really ideal either, but I'll grant you it's better for the inside of the room as long as it doesn't cause the concrete to fail.

Gap: yeah, that's right now that you mention it (if they install correctly). Don't think I've even seen this used, but I think someone makes a panel that sets the gap and allows airflow.

#299 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

The nozzle is adjustable, the side to side, front to back, pressure and heat, makes spicy taco afterbirths even easier to to clean up.
    Mine also has a auto massage button LOL
    Then after the water show it goes to auto dry with the blower stand up and it just stops.
    I have experiment with new underwear and just stood up after the wash down pulled up the undies and I have yet to bacon strip a pair of undies yet. It really is clean. Poo Poo is very water soluble.

One thing I've always wondered about a bidet seat...can a kid (not sitting on the toilet) accidently spray water if playing around? Would it go on the floor?

#300 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

...now i wanna try one.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #339 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

...It's basically a cheap $20 attachment that goes under the toilet seat and tees into the toilet water supply. It's very simple and works extremely well!

Which one did you get?

#357 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

My home was built in 1928. Its wiring originally all knob and tube with cloth covered wiring, and no ground.
    In the late 70s they did a partial remodel and addition, remodeling the kitchen,
    adding on a Master bedroom and finishing the basement.
    With the remodel and additions they obviously brought things up to code, though in the other
    50% of the house were no work was done
    it still has the old wiring and two prong outlets/plugs.
    When we bought the house 10 yrs ago, in order to get the house insured,
    the insurance company made use change out all the knob and tube wiring
    with grounded romex wiring in all the areas with exposed wiring in the garage and attic.
    Obviously any wiring within the old walls and old sockets are still knob and tube and non grounded.
    In the last few years, I have taken it upon myself to hire an electrician to install one or two
    GFCI outlets in all the bedrooms upstairs and the foyer and dining and living & family rooms
    which were not grounded, so in doing that it will give each room some grounding effect protection
    while providing some outlets with 3 prong plugs, to avoid having to use those cheater plug adapters.

If you ever worry about old wires arcing for some reason, you can get an Arc Fault Interrupter (AFCI).

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/residential/gfciafci/afci

We had a lightning strike nail the house. Direct hit, really interesting following the path it took. I knew the insurance company wasn't interested in checking the wiring in the walls near the strike (nor did I want my walls torn apart), so I got them to pay for AFCI breakers in the panel.

#398 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

…Wasn’t radon dismissed as a flawed study? It’s all over southeastern WI so somebody made a fortune. Housing market going ballistic did away with even home inspections so we’ll see when normalcy returns. Was new to home ownership and they sealed the sump well for the radon pump, so couldn’t tell sump had failed- flooded entire remodeled basement. It also didn’t help that former owner didn’t put a window well cover over the window above the sump.

I always thought radon was a bit overblown, reminds me of when they took apples out of school cafeterias decades ago. I mean, you open shut/doors, furnace stirs up the air, some tile systems routinely have a drain near a window well (i.e. that's a vent right there). I doubt anyone living in a house doesn't have some air exchange from daily activities. While radon itself might be an issue, I'm not sure if it's an issue w/respect to a sump pit in a house. I just read where 21,000 people die from it each year...wonder how they prove that?

#403 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

There is a lot of good information on it and how free radicals damage people’s lungs and can lead to cancer. My home was like 9 times above the acceptable limit, I can ship you some. No cost

So how did they measure radon in your house? Is the sensor next to the pit, or is it somewhere where it represents how a person spends a lot of time? i.e. Next to the bed, on sofa, next to the bidet, etc.?

#415 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

The squat toilet is pretty common in a large part of the world including the middle east/Asia. When I was in Afghanistan, most bases had porta potties for both western style and the squat toilet style - as it turned out Afghani contractors were breaking western style by squatting on the seat.
    By the way, it is actually easier to do your business squat style as it straightens out the bowels. Standing, and to a lessor extent sitting, doesn't. The problem is we haven't had a lifetime practicing the balance needed

What the heck do the elderly do when they aren't quite as nimble or have balancing issues?

Maybe I don't want to know.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/basements-why-are-they-there-and-where-are-they?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.