(Topic ID: 330736)

Basements. Why Are They There And Where Are They?

By punkin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

van7 (resized).jpg
    VmY.gif
    G4 Basement - 2-24-2023, 12.59.28am (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    A2D62432-F2A7-4191-BC8D-37F895F5C24F (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    did-you-ever-lick-a-battery-1860948446 (resized).jpg
    giphy (13).gif
    DSCF2023[1] (resized).jpg
    DSCF2018[1] (resized).jpg
    1024px-Cheater_plug_edited (resized).jpg
    pasted_image2 (resized).png
    11800578-8E47-431E-965C-8B54FFDE8485 (resized).jpeg
    https___cf-images.ap-southeast-2.prod.boltdns.net_v1_static_664969388001_40bd71aa-98ec-4d2e-8215-f8e5927b6948_d2c1035c-e00a-4450
    There are 460 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.
    #351 1 year ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

We have those too. Depends on the infrastructure of the area.

There would only be arcing if the appliance being plugged in is already in the "ON" condition. Seems to be an issue of human behavior that won't necessarily be solved by adding a second switch. Don't plug something in when the switch is left on... in your case, two switches.

Not everything has separate switch mate.

DSCF2023[1] (resized).jpgDSCF2023[1] (resized).jpg

Halogen work lights, no switch.

#352 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

In the US, lights, including halogen work lights, typically have their own on-board switches... seems more convenient to control the work light at the work light.

#353 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

As discussed elsewhere, we have a stormwater system in the towns and cities, so it's all piped out to sea eventually. Shopping centers, factories, car parks have drains that lead to pipes undergound. It's all pretty civilized.
    [quoted image]
    As far as the switches on power sockets go, you guys are thinking only of using the switch to turn things on and off. The main reason we have a switch there is so you can turn the power off before connecting or disconnecting an appliance. No chance of arcing.

Actually I believe it was one of my first post about it the higher voltage requiring it for safety. If it not for safety it would be stupid to have.

#354 1 year ago

I still wouldn't lick 110v.

#355 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Nor would you want to touch it with any dry part of your skin either. It probably won't kill you, but it will give you a hell of a bite!

#356 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

[quoted image]

You sure those arent LED? Sure looks like it.

#357 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

My home was built in 1928. Its wiring originally all knob and tube with cloth covered wiring, and no ground.
    In the late 70s they did a partial remodel and addition, remodeling the kitchen,
    adding on a Master bedroom and finishing the basement.
    With the remodel and additions they obviously brought things up to code, though in the other
    50% of the house were no work was done
    it still has the old wiring and two prong outlets/plugs.
    When we bought the house 10 yrs ago, in order to get the house insured,
    the insurance company made use change out all the knob and tube wiring
    with grounded romex wiring in all the areas with exposed wiring in the garage and attic.
    Obviously any wiring within the old walls and old sockets are still knob and tube and non grounded.
    In the last few years, I have taken it upon myself to hire an electrician to install one or two
    GFCI outlets in all the bedrooms upstairs and the foyer and dining and living & family rooms
    which were not grounded, so in doing that it will give each room some grounding effect protection
    while providing some outlets with 3 prong plugs, to avoid having to use those cheater plug adapters.

If you ever worry about old wires arcing for some reason, you can get an Arc Fault Interrupter (AFCI).

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/residential/gfciafci/afci

We had a lightning strike nail the house. Direct hit, really interesting following the path it took. I knew the insurance company wasn't interested in checking the wiring in the walls near the strike (nor did I want my walls torn apart), so I got them to pay for AFCI breakers in the panel.

#358 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

You sure those arent LED? Sure looks like it.

I'm positive they are 240v.

So we have explored, wall switches, basements, storm water and toilets.

We have all learnt something, there has been little snarkiness (for pinside) and we are distracted from what we should really be doing.

Kinda good use for an off topic thread i think.

For all that people think i'm trying to make the rest of the world the same as my bit, it's not the case as i've said over and over. Just trying to understand the reasons why there are differences.

giphy (13).gifgiphy (13).gif

#359 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

A childhood right of passage, dared to lick a 9 volt.

did-you-ever-lick-a-battery-1860948446 (resized).jpgdid-you-ever-lick-a-battery-1860948446 (resized).jpg
    #360 1 year ago

i still do this to test 9V's. how else do you test? Tingle test

#361 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i still do this to test 9V's. how else do you test? Tingle test

I prefer a meter - but Neo will be Neo ..

rd

#362 1 year ago

Hey punkin,

Thanks for starting such an interesting thread. From my experience growing up in a 2-story home with an unfinished basement (near Detroit), I miss having that security during a major storm. Now that I'm down in North Carolina, basements are rare and tend to be walk-out at the backside of home. While I've given up on having a basement, I went for the next best option: 3rd floor/finished attic. What a pain getting games up to that level, but I love the space. Doesn't solve the issue with storms/tornadoes...oh well.

For me, a true basement is almost completely underground with those little rectangular windows just above grade. It's amazing how we never experienced flooding while several neighbors (even directly across the street) were flooded. Also, we did not have a sump pump. There was a floor drain near the washer/dryer hookup.

As I look back, our yard seemed to have well-drained soil (loamy/sandy/organics). As kids, when we would dig holes at a friend's house across the street, soil was very compact and clayey (which backed up to the woods). Down here in the North Carolina piedmont, we have a lot of the compacted clayey soil. I bet the expansion/contraction of clay due to water (and occasional freezing) would cause basement/foundation wall cracking, leading to leaks.

Ok, that really wasn't much of an answer to your question(s). More like my life story. Point is, once you have a basement, you always want a basement.

#363 1 year ago
    Quoted from durgee7:

tend to be walk-out at the backside of home

These are the best kind for bringing pins in or out.

#364 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

These are the best kind for bringing pins in or out.

I love being able to put a NIB on the pallet in my basement. I can’t imagine dropping a NIB on pallet into basement that’s not a walkout.

#365 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I love being able to put a NIB on the pallet in my basement. I can’t imagine dropping a NIB on pallet into basement that’s not a walkout.

I bring the nib ones inside on my fork lift.

#366 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I bring the nib ones inside on my fork lift.

I love your set and can see how that would be awesome!!!!

#367 1 year ago

Another reason why Pinside is just becoming a dumping ground for more and more ridiculous and pointless threads.

#368 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sensei:

Another reason why Pinside is just becoming a dumping ground for more and more ridiculous and pointless threads.

You one of these people that shows up at other people’s birthday parties and complains they aren’t serving your favorite cake and beer?

You literally navigated to an Off-Topic category thread, and dropped a turd in here… so… speaking of ridiculous, dude…

#369 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sensei:

Complaining about an offtopic thread in an offtopic forum? Nice form.

#370 1 year ago

Flooding is a more than annual occurrence down in Houston. No basements that I'm aware of in the greater Houston area. Tons of converted garages and single level addons/sheds though.

Heat and humidity also play a big factor, and pretty much require you to have A/C in any addition you plan on using for recreational purposes.

#371 1 year ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

Flooding is a more than annual occurrence down in Houston. No basements that I'm aware of in the greater Houston area. Tons of converted garages and single level addons/sheds though.
    Heat and humidity also play a big factor, and pretty much require you to have A/C in any addition you plan on using for recreational purposes.

Up here it's the opposite. It's rare to find a house without a basement. Even in flood zones. Just make sure those sump pumps are working and have battery backup.

#372 1 year ago

It is a bad idea to try and keep your basement dry during an actual flood. You are depressurizing your basement and the sediment coming through any crack will cause your walls to cave in.

#373 1 year ago

Lots of interesting information here...

https://moss-design.com/basement/

"WHY DO CHICAGO HOMES HAVE BASEMENTS

... Cold weather above ground translates to freezing soil below the surface and the colder the air, the deeper the frozen ground. The freeze thaw cycle that take pace in that frost region can crack a concrete building foundation so its important to dig the foundation for any building down below the typical frost line. ... Excavating four feet of soil out from under a new building takes a lot of equipment and effort – but once you’ve begun, it takes only a little more to dig down a few more feet and have enough headroom for a whole ‘nother level of the house. Or better yet, dig down just those required 4’ and then set the “ground floor” a few feet above ground level."

Yes... reminded me of something I neglected in my previous replies. It's not dig down 42" and you're "halfway to a basement". You are more than halfway, since many foundation walls are poured to stick out of the ground several feet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basement

"... However, basements are considered standard on all but the smallest new buildings in many places with temperate continental climates such as the American Midwest and the Canadian Prairies where a concrete foundation below the frost line is needed in any case, to prevent a building from shifting during the freeze-thaw cycle."

#374 1 year ago
    Quoted from rod90:

It is a bad idea to try and keep your basement dry during an actual flood. You are depressurizing your basement and the sediment coming through any crack will cause your walls to cave in.

If you have enough flood water to wash away concrete walls, no normal sump pump could keep up anyway.

There are situations where if water is allowed to leak from under floor drainage pipes, it can wash dirt into the sump pit and large voids are created around the foundation, and eventually the entire building can shift or sink.

#375 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sensei:

If you had a nice bidet you might not feel so itchy and grumpy.

#376 1 year ago

All this bidet talk got me seriously thinking about getting one. A question I have is, do I have to get the whole toilet or is getting just the seat part almost as good? I don't really like the styles of the toilets and more importantly, neither does my better half.

#377 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sensei:

You must be exhausted after a whole year and 27 posts here.

#378 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

All this bidet talk got me seriously thinking about getting one. A question I have is, do I have to get the whole toilet or is getting just the seat part almost as good? I don't really like the styles of the toilets and more importantly, neither does my better half.

Nope I put ours onto our existing stool. I did need to add a electric outlet by it.

#379 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

We've only used the seat attachment versions so far, and they're great. I would recommend going at least with one that provides a heated seat and a reservoir of heated water, meaning you'll likely need an outlet close by. You'll never want to go back after that. For the simple one we started with, I did tap into the hot water from the sink, but you have to wait for it to warm up similar to the shower. Plus, it has a knob to start the water that also adjusts the pressure. Meaning that if you were unfamiliar you might crank the knob all the way and have water shooting up to the back of your teeth. The fancier ones you just select a setting to your liking and its a simple on/off push button.

#380 1 year ago

Perfect, now I know what my next project is.

#381 1 year ago

Check out Tushy.

#382 1 year ago

There's always that one guy who jumps on Facebook only to post a bitch-session about the stupidity being posted on Facebook.

#383 1 year ago

So, a serious question concern I have about bidets is: how reliable are they?

Because as simple as a basic toilet is, they (like all plumbing it seems) are more of a PITA than they should be. Flappers and valves wear out, levers crack and break, floats need to be adjusted, and god forbid you have to replace any of those random pieces after 10 (let alone 20-30-40...) years because oh that particular bespoke part/brand might not be made, and the ones available don't fit 100% but could be close enough, maybe, for how long? Thus you either have to frankenstein a mousetrap and pray it works AARGH or throw the whole damn toilet (or larger subcomponent) away just for a tiny $2 part.

So what is the brilliance of taking all of that, and adding things like motors, pumps, nozzles, pressure control valves, and possibly electric elements like heaters and controls? Those are more maintenance and failure modes and "oh we're sorry that particular part is not made anymore" discussions. I have visions of hard water like we have here in KY calcifying the nozzles and pumps. And needing maintenance or replacement. Or the various seals for those appliances causing leaks at some point. And not being fun to replace.

I mean, as aggravating as a toilet can be to work on, at least they CAN and DO last multiple decades without needing much. Somehow I can't see a bidet lasting even 10 years before causing some sort of problem and needing to be replaced. "Oh your heating element finally burned out, have fun replacing that if it's even still made"...

#384 1 year ago

I came here for the basements, and left here with a bidet?

#385 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's a fluid discussion.

#386 1 year ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Because as simple as a basic toilet is, they (like all plumbing it seems) are more of a PITA than they should be. Flappers and valves wear out, levers crack and break, floats need to be adjusted, and god forbid you have to replace any of those random pieces after 10 (let alone 20-30-40...) years because oh that particular bespoke part/brand might not be made, and the ones available don't fit 100% but could be close enough, maybe, for how long? Thus you either have to frankenstein a mousetrap and pray it works AARGH or throw the whole damn toilet (or larger subcomponent) away just for a tiny $2 part.
    So what is the brilliance of taking all of that, and adding things like motors, pumps, nozzles, pressure control valves, and possibly electric elements like heaters and controls? Those are more maintenance and failure modes and "oh we're sorry that particular part is not made anymore" discussions. I have visions of hard water like we have here in KY calcifying the nozzles and pumps. And needing maintenance or replacement. Or the various seals for those appliances causing leaks at some point. And not being fun to replace.
    I mean, as aggravating as a toilet can be to work on, at least they CAN and DO last multiple decades without needing much. Somehow I can't see a bidet lasting even 10 years before causing some sort of problem and needing to be replaced. "Oh your heating element finally burned out, have fun replacing that if it's even still made"...

My cheap one from Amazon has been going strong for 6 years so far, zero issues. There is nothing to it really, no electronics, heater, etc. I'd say you are way overthinking things. They are like $40, what is there to complain about if you do actually have to replace it every 10 years? Probably last longer than an AC unit.

#387 1 year ago
    Quoted from PalmettoPinworks:

My cheap one from Amazon has been going strong for 6 years so far, zero issues. There is nothing to it really, no electronics, heater, etc. I'd say you are way overthinking things. They are like $40, what is there to complain about if you do actually have to replace it every 10 years? Probably last longer than an AC unit.

Ok yeah a $40 clip on one from Amazon, I agree might be no big loss. But those don't have all the features some folks have evangelized. So I was mainly referring to the complete "in-built" units with the controllable pressures and oscillating nozzles and pre-heated water and the like. You're not getting those for $40.

#388 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The thread has really gone down the crapper.

NothingToSeeHerePunkin

#389 1 year ago

We do not have a bidet, but we do have a heated toilet seat,
    which my wife swears by.
    No more cold tush shock on those cold mornings.

#390 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

We do not have a bidet, but we do have a heated toilet seat,
    which my wife swears by.
    No more cold tush shock on those cold mornings.

Several years ago, my mother asked for one for Christmas. I had never heard of such a thing and thought it was ridiculous. Then I tried it. Life changing.

#391 1 year ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

No clue, our fancy model is too new. But everything is built into the seat, so if there was some catastrophic failure that required just replacing the unit it's modular and wouldn't mean disturbing the toilet itself.

Quoted from Emkay79:

Life changing.

Everyone I know who has one says they'd never want to go back. I know it's the most random topic, but since this is the OT forum and we're all just BSing why not change your life?

#392 1 year ago

The fancy one in China freaked me out, so i turned it off without using it.

AtTheWallPunkin

#393 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

... Life changing.

Pooping away from home must be rough?

#394 1 year ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

Pooping away from home must be rough?

First time you run into one of them squat toilets that look like a urinal laying down. Might not be rough, but it is an adventure.

LTG : )

#395 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

First time you run into one of them squat toilets that look like a urinal laying down. Might not be rough, but it is an adventure.
    LTG : )

My buddy sent me a pic of a bathroom he used in India. It looked like a strange combination of a shower and a urinal that was mounted flush with the floor that you squatted over. It appeared the only way to use it would be to completely remove your pants and underwear.

#396 1 year ago

Interesting discussion on bidets, but I guess to save the world we should go slab..

https://www.ecohome.net/guides/2279/slab-on-grade-technical-guide/

Won’t somebody please think of the concrete trucks?!!
    It looks pretty good but I don’t think we were designed to run around on concrete all day. My father was a mudder, my mother was a mudder…

Wasn’t radon dismissed as a flawed study? It’s all over southeastern WI so somebody made a fortune. Housing market going ballistic did away with even home inspections so we’ll see when normalcy returns. Was new to home ownership and they sealed the sump well for the radon pump, so couldn’t tell sump had failed- flooded entire remodeled basement. It also didn’t help that former owner didn’t put a window well cover over the window above the sump.

#397 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

... but I guess to save the world we should go slab..
    https://www.ecohome.net/guides/2279/slab-on-grade-technical-guide/
    Won’t somebody please think of the concrete trucks?!!
    It looks pretty good but I don’t think we were designed to run around on concrete all day. ...

That's for sure.

But the article makes dubious claims, is poorly written, and factually problematic.

"In a cold climate zone a basement foundation counts on being buried at depths of between four and five feet to protect the footing and basement floor from freezing temperatures."

But it's not to "protect the footing and basement floor from freezing temperatures". It's to get the structure below the frost line to prevent heaving up and down with the seasons. Isn't it amazing how builders and engineers in freezing climates quickly learned this lesson?

"Whether you start construction with a slab-on-grade or a foundation, in the absence of bedrock both will be resting on dirt. So one is not more 'stable' than the other, or more suceptible [sic] to frost heave than the other"

Yes, everything is resting on "dirt" and that's about all they got half-ass correct in that sentence, spelling and grammar included. (Is it still considered "dirt" everywhere... what about sand? I digress.)

When a foundation is on "dirt" BELOW the frost-line, it is more stable and not susceptible to frost heaving. When a floating slab is on "dirt" at grade level ABOVE the frost-line, it is less stable and completely susceptible to frost heaving. Even without frost heaving, there are certain ground conditions where a slab is much more stable with a foundation or footings.

#398 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

…Wasn’t radon dismissed as a flawed study? It’s all over southeastern WI so somebody made a fortune. Housing market going ballistic did away with even home inspections so we’ll see when normalcy returns. Was new to home ownership and they sealed the sump well for the radon pump, so couldn’t tell sump had failed- flooded entire remodeled basement. It also didn’t help that former owner didn’t put a window well cover over the window above the sump.

I always thought radon was a bit overblown, reminds me of when they took apples out of school cafeterias decades ago. I mean, you open shut/doors, furnace stirs up the air, some tile systems routinely have a drain near a window well (i.e. that's a vent right there). I doubt anyone living in a house doesn't have some air exchange from daily activities. While radon itself might be an issue, I'm not sure if it's an issue w/respect to a sump pit in a house. I just read where 21,000 people die from it each year...wonder how they prove that?

#399 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I always thought radon was a bit overblown, reminds me of when they took apples out of school cafeterias decades ago. I mean, you open shut/doors, furnace stirs up the air, some tile systems routinely have a drain near a window well (i.e. that's a vent right there). While radon itself might be an issue, I'm not sure if it's an issue w/respect to a sump pit in a house. I just read where 21,000 people die from it each year...wonder how they prove that?

I was thinking the same. I am not 100% sure, but radon became more of an issue when houses became more sealed up and energy efficient. The gas gets trapped and accumulates as opposed to older homes where it can be replaced by fresh air leaking in windows and other cracks.

I am not sure how they attribute radon with specific health conditions. Google says the main health concern is lung cancer, but I don't know how they pinpoint the root cause, especially if somebody has other lung cancer triggers... industrial environment, smoking, etc.

#400 1 year ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

I was thinking the same. I am not 100% sure, but radon became more of an issue when houses became more sealed up and energy efficient. The gas gets trapped and accumulates as opposed to older homes where it can be replaced by fresh air leaking in windows and other cracks.
    I am not sure how they attribute radon with specific health conditions. Google says the main health concern is lung cancer, but I don't know how they pinpoint the root cause, especially if somebody has other lung cancer triggers... industrial environment, smoking, etc.

There is a lot of good information on it and how free radicals damage people’s lungs and can lead to cancer. My home was like 9 times above the acceptable limit, I can ship you some. No cost

There are 460 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/basements-why-are-they-there-and-where-are-they/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.