(Topic ID: 250250)

Basement landing - will a pinball machine fit?

By Attackfrommark

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8401 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8404 2 (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

Can someone with better spatial intelligence or experience with tight stairways and landings please help. Considering a first pinball purchase and have been looking at posts regarding dimensions of machines and stairways but still can't quite figure out if a folded pinball will make it down my back stairs. Does the folded up dimensions of 29x30x56 include the width of the backbox?

This sounds like some horrible math problem from hell but here you go:

The back door (32x80) leads to a landing that is 32 x 72. There are short staircases on either side of the landing. One leads up (5 steps) with a 32 inch width to the first floor and the other leads down (7 steps) with a 36 inch width. There is a 5 inch wall between the two staircases. The ceiling is mostly 80 but as low as 72 where the ceiling slopes for stairs leading up to the second floor. And then on the stairs leading to the basement the slope in the ceiling goes down to about 60 inches about 4 steps down (you have to watch your head when you are walking down them).

My question is will a pinball machine make it downstairs to the basement? I'm imagining it could be brought in and placed on its end and scooted over to the basement stairway on a soft carpet and then tilted diagonally to go downstairs but I'm not sure if there is enough space to get it diagonal or if 32 inches is enough width to accommodate a folded down backbox.

I watched some experienced movers have trouble getting a couch down these stairs (granted it was larger than a pinball machine) but it made me wonder if I was going to have similar problems.

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I'm completely lost trying to picture all that in my head. Might want to try a picture.

You can always remove the back box and take it down separately if it doesn't fit. A good friend of mine has to do that every time he buys / sells a machine. It's not that big of a deal to do as long as you take your time disconnecting and labeling things.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks @spyderturbo007 ! I'm not sure if these helps or not. But here's a photo of going into the landing from the backdoor and then a photo of the stairs leading to the basement where the ceiling comes down. I bet talking off the backbox would solve the problem. I didn't know how difficult or easy that was.. to do. Good to know there is someone else who does this regularly. Thanks for the response!

IMG_8401 (resized).JPGIMG_8401 (resized).JPGIMG_8404 2 (resized).JPGIMG_8404 2 (resized).JPG
    #4 4 years ago

Take off the door and the hand rail. It will fit.

#5 4 years ago

Piece of cake.
    Rail off, maybe door as drummermike says. Move gome, stand up, turn, move again down stairs.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks drummermike ! Do you think even with the backbox 32 width works?

#7 4 years ago

I think we need a picture. What era game?

I had the worst experience of my pin-moving life this past summer with one of the heaviest games ever, Indiana Jones. Game in the basement, and a small, normal size landing at the top of the stairs, and one step up to the right (90 degrees).
    Once we got the game to the top of the stairs/landing, there was no way to turn it or anything to get it up the one stair to the right the door opening. We couldn't levitate it straight up 8 inches and just move it. After about 10 minutes, we just leaned the entire game onto it's side and laid it down into the doorway. I had a knot in my stomach the entire time. I'm moved a shitload of games and never had to do anything like that.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Attackfrommark:

Thanks drummermike ! Do you think even with the backbox 32 width works?

Yes - put a blanket it on it though. Why scatch it up -

Pop those hinge bolts out of those doors, take down the handrail, then like you said, put a towel/blanket on the landing, and slide the game from Stairs #1 to Stairs #2. Easy peasy.

#9 4 years ago

pinzrfun that's kind of what I'm imagining and trying to avoid. I did post a picture. Not sure that it helps. But most think I can remove door and railing and it will work. Thanks!

#10 4 years ago

But most think I can remove door and railing and it will work. Thanks!

Personally I replaced my door hinges with newer one that are a lot skinnier, easy to pop out with no hammer/driver.
    Old electric driver for handrails out of walls and you're ready; you get used to it.

#11 4 years ago

In fact, you may not have to remove the handrails - I don't have to and all my games are in the basement, they sneak by............

#12 4 years ago

pinzrfun wow, your collection and game room is incredible! I’m a little afraid to buy my first for that very reason. Great choices too!

#13 4 years ago

TheLaw great idea!

#14 4 years ago

Where are you located? You city seems to be hidden in your profile. I’m guessing another pinsider close by would be glad to come help if you need muscle to get it moved around and such and avoid slamming into walls. I use an escalara and move all by myself... but in that space, you’ll probably be going with a much smaller dolly and/or need help.

#15 4 years ago

pinzrfun wow, your collection and game room is incredible! I’m a little afraid to buy my first for that very reason. Great choices too!

Thank you - and yeah, be careful, they're like rabbits....they multiply.....

#16 4 years ago

Pinzap I’m in chicago area. Planning on buying a NIB. Just wanted to make sure the dimensions work before I order one. I will definitely get some expert help. That’s amazing you can move them alone!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/basement-landing-will-a-pinball-machine-fit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.