(Topic ID: 210400)

Basement flooded: Suggestions Please

By RyanClaytor

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

animation.gif
    2018ClaytorianFlood (resized).jpg
    Drywall-Removal-After-Water-Damage-Toronto-11 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1519159992940.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi Pinside,

This all happened about 20 minutes ago, so I'm trying to get some informed feedback.

My basement flooded due to a break in the PVC pipe leading from the sump pump to the outside. There's some standing water, but I'm trying to sop it up.

Anyhow, we've had a really nice, dry basement (up until this point) so I'm looking for some suggestions on how to get it back that way. From the quick search I've done, carpent needs to be ripped-up, room needs to be aired out, and then disinfected to prevent mold.

So...who has gone through this? What words of wisdom do you have after emerging on the other side of floodlandia?

Thanks, all!
    -Ryan

#49 6 years ago

Hey all,

First off, thanks for all your responses. You were prompt, Pinside-y , and I've read each and every one of them. It's been a long day of moving machines, wet-vac-ing, and dehumidifying, but here's a Cliff Notes version of how it went:

2018ClaytorianFlood (resized).jpg2018ClaytorianFlood (resized).jpg

One of the main concerns I heard was about carpet padding, so I'll just mention briefly that I have none. Just flat carpet on concrete.

Alright, a few responses, then bedtime for Bonzo...

Quoted from SirScott:

I think it could have been (a lot) worse.

Despite being a huge pain of a day, I completely agree.

Quoted from Pecos:

My Aunt had this problem, ironically on the day of my Uncle’s funeral.

Case in point.

Quoted from MattElder:

It appears to be the pipe for radon mitigation.

Yurp.

Quoted from flynnibus:

just make sure it and the clamps are mounted snugly. Sounds like in your case, it wasn't and worked its way free. The sump jumping when it shuts on/off usually make those pipes shake a good bit.

That explains it! I now have an annual programmed calendar reminder to get in that sump closet and tighten those clamps around the join of the PVC pipe.

Quoted from Pecos:

Fortunately, Ringer appears to be high and dry.

Amen, brother.

Quoted from attitude05:

This morning he woke up to water and eat a mess in the basement and my driveway is also covered in water supposed to be pushing water weight. Well I went into my normal note and put down towels turn down the fans and healthy humidifier running. The only thing you can do.

I've read this ^^^ three times over and I'm still not sure I understand. ...but, good luck?

Quoted from wxforecaster:

I would drink that straight up over Flint water any day.

*LOL* A fine end to the madness of this day. Thanks, again, Pinside. This community never ceases to amaze me.

Much appreciated,
    Ryan Claytor

#55 6 years ago

UPDATE: Basement is virtually dry this morning after running all night with fans and dehumidifiers. Really surprising how much water was extracted into those dehum's overnight. Literally buckets. Pretty cool. The coupling that I thought I fixed is still leaking this morning (we put a towel down last night that is pretty saturated today), but I managed to find a plumber to come check things out today (a difficult task as it seems we are far from the only basement around here that flooded yesterday...lots of rain melted lots of snow). Anyhow, the level of the water in the sump pump stayed constant, so that's good news as well, but we fear the pump might be bad now (didn't seem to be turning on last night or this morning...not sure if that means the water level is good now or if it's broken...it was kinda mildly vibrating and then there's the whole leak thing).

Thanks again for all the feedback on here.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from attitude05:

I have seriously got to stop posting while having the flu and using speech to text.

Quoted from Pinballlew:

Actually, I would prefer more posts from you under the same conditions...it made me laugh and so did Ryan’s reaction to it!

It was kind of beautiful in a way, like a mistranslated haiku.

Quoted from flynnibus:

It’s easy stuff if you don’t want to pay a plumper.

In all my life, I've still yet to pay for a plumPer, but I do have someone scheduled to take a look at this sump/pipe situation today.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

water powered backup sump pump

My guess is BATTERY powered backup? ...this thread. *LOL*

1 week later
    #78 6 years ago

Hey, all

Quoted from SilverBallz:Get a water powered backup sump pump.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

My guess is BATTERY powered backup?

Quoted from Fezmid:

No, they have water powered ones -- they will work indefinitely, as long as you have water pressure. However they use roughly 2 gallons of water for every 1 gallon they remove. https://www.familyhandyman.com/basement/using-a-water-powered-backup-sump-pump/view-all/

Oh, wows! Thanks for the suggestion. Learned something (ELSE) new! Thank you thank you to all on this thread!

- --- ----- --- -

UPDATE:

I feel like I owe everyone on here a thorough update, so here goes:

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

The coupling that I thought I fixed is still leaking this morning (we put a towel down last night that is pretty saturated today), but I managed to find a plumber to come check things out today

A guy did come out, but he wanted to charge me over two hundred dollars to replace the coupling between the pipes. I did a little research and understood it was the "check valve" and that it was nowhere near $200. So I went to the local big box hardware shop, grabbed one for $10, and fixed it myself. Sure enough, when I took off the old check valve, the flapper inside that prevents the water from flowing back into the drain was completely torn off and just flopping around in there. I'm certain that's what caused the water to start spewing from that coupling. The flapper likely just got jammed up in there somehow and the water couldn't make it's way up...so it made it's way OUT. Ha-ha! Anyhow, I ham-fisted the new check valve into place and it seems to be working just fine now, even after some additional rain.

Also,

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Basement is virtually dry this morning after running all night with fans and dehumidifiers.

I ran those fans and dehum's for a week straight before turning them off. The last couple days my old dehum was still pulling some water (a bit, not much) while my new dehum was pulling nothing. I believe this is because the lowest setting on my new dehum was 30%, while the old model was just on a continuous setting. My guess is that the room was below 30% humidity so the new one was done. Anyhow, turned 'em off about 3 days ago.

There were a lot of suggestions to:

Quoted from Monk:

I then pulled the carpet up

Quoted from tommyp:

I'd personally pull a section

Quoted from stpcore:

Pull it all out

Quoted from Monk:

Pulled the carpet up in that area

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

This is after they pulled up carpet.

Quoted from John-from-PA:

I would pull the carpets no matter how dry they seem.

...and/or throw it all away. I sincerely considered this, however, for a few reasons, I did not:

1) The flood water was clean rainwater, not sewage, and while it stretched from one side of our basement to the other, there was not even a measurable inch of standing water.

2) Our carpet is very low profile and is glued directly to the concrete slab without any padding. Not a lot of room for moisture after multiple wet-vacs and a week of fans/dehums.

3) We plan to gut and remodel this space in a couple/few years anyhow, so if mold did start to grow we could take care of it in relatively short order. However, I have serious doubts about that happening, as we were able to take care of this pretty quickly and things seem to be bone dry now.

So, a day or so after shutting down the fans/dehums, I finally mustered up the gumption to start moving machines again.

animation.gifanimation.gif

...the pins went back in today and yesterday. I tried to take it easy on myself this time, as my body was pretty pissed after initially moving about 10 games over the course of a few short hours. (What can I say, I'm dainty.) After getting everything into place over a couple days, my back is far less angry.

Anyhow, I just wanted to extend a word of thanks for everyone who chimed-in here to offer a word of advice. You all gave me the expedited education I needed in a frantic time. (Did I mention this all happened during a huge weekend of event planning for my job?) So, thank you, Pinside.

Sincerely,
    Ryan

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanClaytor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/basement-flooded-suggestions-please?tu=RyanClaytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.