Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN0567 (1) (resized).JPG
DSCN0566 (1) (resized).JPG
8DBC094B-A237-4887-89BC-DE2BA2B885E7 (resized).jpeg
CA4E1117-E474-44D9-9F35-0443F4089A3B (resized).jpeg
FA2D6D74-7EB7-4315-AFA8-C2128A2C20B5 (resized).jpeg
025d173566d11d25e3089a884a42e541a77d1b66 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

An old friend in NYC just asked me if I knew of any good baseball themed pinball games. My collection doesn't include any. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. What are the best such pins? Thank you.

#3 1 year ago

Big Hurt, eh? Come with a bottle of Nugenix, I wonder? Thank you. Great start. Others?

#4 1 year ago

Rockola Worlds Series

#5 1 year ago

Thanks. My guide shows a '72 GTB World Series but no Rockola Worlds Series.

#6 1 year ago

Depends a lot on what kind/era game he is looking for. The Rockola game looks awesome but it is from a totally different (1934, pre-flipper) era plus think it is very pricey.

Of the EM baseball themed games, my favorites are the '72 World Series and the '77 Gottlieb Big Hit. Now if he really wants a baseball game, I'd suggest a pitch and bat game. Whenever I have people over, my Williams 'Pitch and Bat' is always a favorite. When it's just me, I usually play the pinball games.

#7 1 year ago

Very helpful, gents. Thank you. I would prefer the pinball games myself. He has grandsons that love baseball. He wants to pry them loose from smartphones,etc and maybe get some old time buddy back slapping fun back.

#8 1 year ago

I think a pitch and bat might have a better chance of prying them away.
1970's Williams Line Drive is a good one.

#9 1 year ago

If you want proper baseball games, you want pitch and bat, not pinball machines, as there only a handful that are marginally interesting to most people under the age of 14.
Your grandsons will not be disappointed with pitch and bats, children are always amazed.

025d173566d11d25e3089a884a42e541a77d1b66 (resized).jpg

In priority order:

1 ) Deluxe Official Baseball (WMS, 1960)
2 ) 1962 World Series (WMS, 1962)
3 ) Pinch-Hitter (WMS, 1959)
4 ) 4 Bagger Deluxe (WMS, 1956)
5 ) SlugFest! (WMS, 1991 and the 1993 reissue) <---Only SS on this list

These are correct examples at the top of this genre list, not considering other great examples from Chicago Coin and United.
Proper restored examples are worth very good money, and last forever, if maintained.

If you want to go "brand new", get on the waiting the third production list for the additional run of Zombie League All Stars (Gizmo Game Design, 2017).
The first two runs are already sold out, as people underestimated the retro nostalgic features, keeping in mind this is no comparison to the "sherman tank" EM variety.

#10 1 year ago

Thanks so much. We'll get these kids' minds right.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I think a pitch and bat might have a better chance of prying them away.
1970's Williams Line Drive is a good one.

Nah. Pitch and bats get boring real quick. I think they're cool in their own right, but you play a couple of games and the novelty wears off. Pinball is so much more dynamic and entertaining. I always liked "World Series" because of the kickouts at the bases, and the roto target. Plus, it's an add-a-ball machine. My second favorite is "Batter Up". It's also an add-a-ball machine. The replay version is "Baseball". I've owned hundreds of games, but never had a baseball themed game.
Uh.... wait a minute. I do have a Gottlieb "Hits and Runs" woodrail game that is waiting for restoration. I played one at a few of the shows that was expertly restored by Pinside's very own "Dono". It's a fun old game, but the more modern baseball themed games are probably better players. "Big Hit" is a good one too if you like drop targets.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Pitch and bats get boring real quick.

I disagree. They are a simpler game for sure but something special about them. I have had a ton of pinballs come and go in the time I have owned my 4 Bagger. To be fair i have listed it for sale a couple times but always chicken out. My son in law was over last weekend and it was the only game he played.

#13 1 year ago

Williams Slugfest?
Might be modern enough to keep them entertained.
I find that kids see the older games and pins as novelties, they play them to try them out, but it doesn't go much further.
They can be had at a decent price, like $750-$1100.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I disagree. They are a simpler game for sure but something special about them. I have had a ton of pinballs come and go in the time I have owned my 4 Bagger.

+1

Based on my personal experience, pitch and bats have a special allure (especially for non-pinheads) and provide truer baseball-like game enjoyment than most baseball themed pinballs. My 1962 Williams World Series has always been one of my most popular games with visitors; everyone LOVES getting hits and watching the "running man" unit in action while runs are literally rung up!

#15 1 year ago

Pitch and bats, when I was a kid were not popular. There might be 1 or 2 in a large arcade. Can remember always getting to play them, as the bigger kids were hogging the pinball machines.

I have a 1970 Gottlieb Baseball. It does have an lighted animated back glass, which is different. It also has the dual scoring, Points and Home Runs.

DSCN0566 (1) (resized).JPG
DSCN0567 (1) (resized).JPG

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Blutarsky:

My guide shows a '72 GTB World Series but no Rockola Worlds Series.

Get a new guide : http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2815

LTG : )

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Pitch and bats, when I was a kid were not popular. There might be 1 or 2 in a large arcade. Can remember always getting to play them, as the bigger kids were hogging the pinball machines.
I have a 1970 Gottlieb Baseball, it is a pin. It does have an lighted animated back glass, which is different. It also has the dual scoring, Points and Home Runs.

When I was a little kid, my parents would go shopping on Saturday nights to a big department store that had a game arcade in the middle. They had all the best pitch and bat games, a couple of pinballs, and two small ball bowlers. They were all set for 10c play, and my folks would give each of us 50 cents to play.
We never played the pinballs (I distinctly remember a "Flipper Cowboy"), but usually played the pitch and bat games and maybe a game or two of bowling. We loved the pitch and bat games.
To this day, I think they are really cool, and mean no disrespect to them. If some of you who own them want to promote them, I admire you for that.
Maybe I need to own one, because I never have. I've played them at friends houses, but only play a game or two, then move on to pinballs again.

#18 1 year ago

There’s Gottlieb’s 71’
PlayBall
It has a couple of cool slider targets and integrates the theme pretty well.

FA2D6D74-7EB7-4315-AFA8-C2128A2C20B5 (resized).jpeg

CA4E1117-E474-44D9-9F35-0443F4089A3B (resized).jpeg

8DBC094B-A237-4887-89BC-DE2BA2B885E7 (resized).jpeg

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

+1
Based on my personal experience, pitch and bats have a special allure (especially for non-pinheads) and provide truer baseball-like game enjoyment than most baseball themed pinballs. My 1962 Williams World Series has always been one of my most popular games with visitors; everyone LOVES getting hits and watching the "running man" unit in action while runs are literally rung up!

That's one of my favorite of the pitch and bat games. Great looking, and has all the desired features.

#20 1 year ago

I wish someone would make a new pinball machine based on the history of Major League Baseball.

I can't take anymore superheroes, rock bands or lame movies.

#21 1 year ago

Fabulous. You guys are great!

#22 1 year ago

Of course, both sides are correct in the pinball vs pitch and bat debate. When it’s just me, I’m almost always playing one of my four wedge head pinball games. When I have people over (particularly little kids) they ALWAYS go for the pitch and bat first. It is even more fun as a 2-player game. Best option- get both!

3 months later
#23 1 year ago

Ive been searching for a great pitch and bat game....wish someone locally wanted to unload one

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside