Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Craig
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Hello all,
    I just received word that Barry and his wife are having some health and other difficulties.
    Please visit this link http://www.gofundme.com/6fgkt0 for details
    If you have ever played a Barry Game, PinBot, Cyclone etc. you might want to consider helping out.
    Barry is a great guy.

Thanks for your time,

Pat Lawlor

Post edited by robin : Last name spelling corrected

#2 10 years ago

Apologies for mis-spelling his name... Oursler!

Pat

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the link, my condolences. Great to see you on Pinside Pat!! When exactly is the last time this hobby saw an original themed game?

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. Mr oursler has many fans here.
    Also, welcome to pinside.

#5 10 years ago

Oursler created the first ever game I played - Hurricane! I'm fond of him.

Welcome to Pinside!

#6 10 years ago

A GORGAR Bump and Donation for Barry.

#7 10 years ago

That is a tough one. My father had bone marrow cancer, but with treatment was able to live many years with a relatively high quality of life. The drugs and procedures for this are INSANELY expensive, even with insurance. Thanks for the link.

#8 10 years ago

Oursler outlanes turned me from a boy into a man. Considering the amount of money I've spent on Oursler games, the least I can do is help out. Donation and well wishes sent.

Welcome Pat. Looking forward to your next contribution. image.jpgimage.jpg

#9 10 years ago

Get well soon, Barry. EXTERMINATE the cancer!

#10 10 years ago

Oursler and Lawlor respect bump

#11 10 years ago

Bump. Robin, think you could edit the title to catch more attention?

Get well soon, both of you. Your games have special places in our house.

#12 10 years ago

There are currently at least 4 threads about this going, and I was just compiling them to send to Robin to see if we could sticky one/all when I noticed the top sticky is already about this. Hopefully that will help the word spread quicker.

#13 10 years ago

Donation Sent.

Best wished Barry!

Chris

#14 10 years ago

can we get a direct paypal to use for gifting payments? looks like the link only takes credit cards.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

can we get a direct paypal to use for gifting payments? looks like the link only takes credit cards.

Also takes direct payments from checking account.

#16 10 years ago

Another way to donate:

From Jim Schelberg of the PinGame Journal --

I just got this from designer Barry Oursler (Jan 26, 2014) and I'm hoping anyone who reads it will help.

"In February 2013, I was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer. The treatments and prescriptions are not fully covered and last July, Donna was diagnosed with kidney failure. She must receive dialysis three times per week and her prescriptions are also very expensive. To make matters worse, it is costing us $350 per month for her transportation no matter how we have tried to lower that cost.

We have been married almost 40 years and I would like to keep us both around for awhile longer, but things have gotten pretty desparate at the Oursler household.

I have never done anything like this before but I didn't know where else to turn except to my friends and fans in pinball.

If you can help, any amount would be appreciated. Thanks, Barry"

(Please donate at the link below. If you would like to use a check, I am accepting them on Barry's behalf. Make them out to the PinGame Journal, mark it For Barry and send to 31937 Olde Franklin Drive, Farmington Hills, MI, 48334 USA.

Also, all donations to the PGJ through PayPal at the PGJ web site for the rest if this month (Jan 2014) will go, instead, to Barry. So if its easier for you that way, do it. -- www.pingamejournal.com/cool (you can increase the "Quantity" to increase your donation)

To use "Go Fund Me" go to:
    http://www.gofundme.com/6fgkt0

Thanks, Jim

#17 10 years ago

Barry, if you are reading these threads...I think it is safe to say that most of the people here are having their thoughts and prayers go out to you. Money sent, and I hope all goes well! And Thank You for your contribution to Pinball! I have many of your games in my collection...

#18 10 years ago

Bump. I know there is a sticky on this topic already, but the more awareness, the better. There are so few legends in this industry, let's keep them around as long as possible.

#19 10 years ago

Just donated. Barry's multitude of games have brought fun to millions of people around the globe.
    He helped "Save Pinball" with Space Shuttle. He was the first guest we went after when we
    started planning our Expo. Really great guy from our interactions with him.

The least we can do is get him to that goal. Let's keep this rolling to 20k, folks!

Really proud of the Pinball / Pinside community today.

#20 10 years ago

Donation sent. Thanks to PGJ for simplifying the process.

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#21 10 years ago

Donation sent

#22 10 years ago

Donation sent. Noticed the 'sticky' thread doesn't show up anymore. Can someone restore it?
    Mike

#23 10 years ago

Donation sent!

Barry is scheduled to be a speaker at the Atlanta Southern Fried Gameroom Expo later this year. I sure hope he can make enough of a recovery so that I can get his autograph there!

Cyclone and Comet are in my home and never leaving!

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

Donation sent. Noticed the 'sticky' thread doesn't show up anymore. Can someone restore it?
    Mike

Just hit the tab to show all sticky threads and it should come up. ; )

#26 10 years ago

I have Gorgar and BSD, I have to donate! Best wishes, Barry.

#27 10 years ago

I donated for the Jax FL pinball community and have spread the word.
    We're all in this together.

#28 10 years ago

just donated. second game i got was a pinbot. still love it, though need it get it working again. this threat makes me want to work on that a little more.

#29 10 years ago

Pin bot was the first game I ever owned. My dad bought it for me when I was 14 years old for making the honor roll in school. He paid $150 for it out of an arcade in Philly.

I'm now 37 and own my own amusement route/business.

Get well Barry and Donna!

-Mike

#30 10 years ago

Bump

#31 10 years ago

Donation Sent !

#32 10 years ago

running a pinball tourney in Madison to help raise some funds. All are welcome but due to space limited to first 16 to sign up. Come on up and play some pinball with us Pat.

https://sites.google.com/site/helpbarryo/

#33 10 years ago

I spoke with Barry last night about his situation and the incredible success this fundraiser turned out to be. We also did a little interview, which you can read on www.pinball-magazine.com.

#34 10 years ago

Please note that just because he has made the initial goal, does not mean we need to stop donating.

My Grandfather died from bone marrow cancer. It was heartbreaking. The treatments were unbelievably expensive. My grandfather was lucky in that he had means, but for those that do not, this can be devastating.

As a cancer survivor, just the diagnosis alone makes you have all sorts of emotions. I can't even imagine what Barry and his wife are experiencing right now.

I am proud that Pinside, despite the differences we all have, put those aside and come together to help people in times of need. WE as a pinball community should be proud, and keep supporting Barry.

Barry - If you see this, thank you for all of your contributions to pinball, and my prayers are with you and your family during this time.

Chris

#35 10 years ago

Donation sent!

#36 10 years ago

Gorgar bump for Barry: Barry. Beat. Cancer.

#37 10 years ago

Another excellent example of how close we are in this hobby.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Please note that just because he has made the initial goal, does not mean we need to stop donating.
    My Grandfather died from bone marrow cancer. It was heartbreaking. The treatments were unbelievably expensive. My grandfather was lucky in that he had means, but for those that do not, this can be devastating.
    As a cancer survivor, just the diagnosis alone makes you have all sorts of emotions. I can't even imagine what Barry and his wife are experiencing right now.
    I am proud that Pinside, despite the differences we all have, put those aside and come together to help people in times of need. WE as a pinball community should be proud, and keep supporting Barry.
    Barry - If you see this, thank you for all of your contributions to pinball, and my prayers are with you and your family during this time.
    Chris

Let me please clarify - While my grandfather passed from Bone Marrow cancer, that was in 1992. Significant treatments have surfaced since that time that greatly increase the longevity and quality of life of people diagnosed with this. I was not at all trying to be negative toward Barry in this case.

Sorry for any confusion.

Chris

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I spoke with Barry last night about his situation and the incredible success this fundraiser turned out to be. We also did a little interview, which you can read on http://www.pinball-magazine.com.

Barry back in pinball would be fantastic.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

running a pinball tourney in Madison to help raise some funds. All are welcome but due to space limited to first 16 to sign up. Come on up and play some pinball with us Pat.
    https://sites.google.com/site/helpbarryo/

Pat, hurry and sign up before spots are filled...

Only 8 spots remaining (which means $160 already committed for the fund raiser).

cheers

#41 10 years ago

We are looking to have a get together at our place in Durham, NC, on Saturday evening, Feb. 22nd, to raise money for Barry. Details to be announced soon. Please keep the date open if you think you might be able to make it. Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barry-ourseler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.