PA229055 (resized).JPG
PA229056 (resized).JPG
PA229057 (resized).JPG
PA229058 (resized).JPG
PA229059 (resized).JPG
PA229060 (resized).JPG
PA229061 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

This is a nos pf, but about 1/2 of it was painted, and the inserts reset, I consiter it a restoration. It was one from Gene's pf collection. (which I think is cool and gives it value) It was beat up, planked, the inserts were concave, and a couple had part of the numbers chipped off. I painted all of the red and orange because the planking showed and there was damage, and to make it all match. About 50% of the black was painted on the light table to make the inserts nice and sharp along the edges when lit. Also all of the white lettering and numbers were repainted, and other stuff here and there. It didnt look too bad when I got it in the shop, except chips, scratches and planking, but once it got sanded to level, and inserts pulled it looked like hell, and I dont usually take pics, and I wish I would have in this case. I dont take pics because they do no justice at all for how it looks in real life.
I just adopted a new finish proceedure that makes the final product super flat, and the reflection in the clear very fine and undistorted. I have said this before, but the best way to look at a clear, is to find a reflection it in and move around while watching the object in the reflection. This will show how flat and how fine the finish it, the sharper the reflection. If it is fuzzy and warped, it could look better.
I definatly dont sign this type of work, especially since it is signed in th emiddle by the original artist Doug Watson, who is an AMAZING ARTIST.

kruzman.galesburg mi

PA229061 (resized).JPGPA229061 (resized).JPG

PA229060 (resized).JPGPA229060 (resized).JPG

PA229059 (resized).JPGPA229059 (resized).JPG

PA229058 (resized).JPGPA229058 (resized).JPG

PA229057 (resized).JPGPA229057 (resized).JPG

PA229056 (resized).JPGPA229056 (resized).JPG

PA229055 (resized).JPGPA229055 (resized).JPG

PA229053 (resized).JPGPA229053 (resized).JPG

PA229050 (resized).JPGPA229050 (resized).JPG

PA229051 (resized).JPGPA229051 (resized).JPG

PA229049 (resized).JPGPA229049 (resized).JPG

PA229047 (resized).JPGPA229047 (resized).JPG

PA229046 (resized).JPGPA229046 (resized).JPG

PA229045 (resized).JPGPA229045 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

WOW, super amazing job Ron!! Someone is really lucky they had you to do the work on it and bring it back to being way better then new. Perfection at it's finest.
Any chance you can have it here for display on the 5th during the party for all to see in person before it goes to your customer? I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#3 7 years ago

Whatever John! You're the only one who got a NOS from Gene!! Congrats man, looks gorgeous.

#4 7 years ago

Actually I cant believe this but the owner is going to be at your party, and he has so many pf's to install he realizes he will never get to it.
So he is going to do a 1 dollar a ticket raffle!!! that is going to be so cool. some good odds, I am going to buy 50 tickets (if i have that kind of money at the time)
so i am going to make a seperate thread for the raffle at J dayhuffs party on the 5th of nov

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Actually I cant believe this but the owner is going to be at your party, and he has so many pf's to install he realizes he will never get to it.
So he is going to do a 1 dollar a ticket raffle!!! that is going to be so cool. some good odds, I am going to buy 50 tickets (if i have that kind of money at the time)
so i am going to make a seperate thread for the raffle at J dayhuffs party on the 5th of nov

Yeah ain't that the truth. If I wasn't having party's all the time I'd have time for a few playfield swaps. MAYBE this winter, I'll try and knock out two of them anyways before the Ohio show.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#6 7 years ago

Is that raffle open to everybody? I would love to get in!!!

Thanks
Dan

#7 7 years ago

I was giving dayhuff the business about the raffle. Just kidding.

#9 7 years ago

sorry, I thought it was funny when I was doing it, but humor dosent work on the net, so instead it was a cruel joke

1 week later
#10 7 years ago

Just wanted to remind everyone that this pf will be on display at dayhuffs party saturday. I think it will be in the office. If you dont know, it is right across from the slider door.
Have fun, see ya there.
kruz

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

sorry, I thought it was funny when I was doing it, but humor dosent work on the net, so instead it was a cruel joke

I thought it was funny...I was getting my dollars ready to put in the ticket fund... See you tomorrow.

#12 7 years ago

We did see it...Amazing work...

#13 7 years ago

Talk about a beautiful piece of work. Ron, awesome example of your talents.

#14 7 years ago

great party as usual. That pf is one of my favorites. I am glad john has it if I cant.

#15 7 years ago

I forgot to put this in the last post, but if you saw the pf, and you saw/played the game you may agree with me, that the nos fixed up like it is would be a way better match than a reproduction. I made sure to keep the clear as thin as I could, so it was a lot of thin coats 10-12 of them, but then I would sand off 60% to get it level.
I just think about in 10 years when so many of the nos pf's have been installed, how cool it will be to have such a nice original, weather it is installed or on the wall.

11 months later
#16 6 years ago

Curious if the swap happened?

Id love to buy the old one and get it restored by ron...

#17 6 years ago

It has not happened. I've got ten games waiting to have a playfield swapped and the others are in much worse condition then the Barracora game is so they will get a higher notch on the priority list. Spectrum and Fathom would be first on that list. Although there are games that don't really need there playfields swapped as the originals are in pretty good shape much like the Barracora but I bought them anyways just incase and the time to buy is when you see it.

John

IMG_0172 (resized).JPGIMG_0172 (resized).JPG

IMG_0097 (resized).JPGIMG_0097 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Myers, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lodi, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barracora-pf-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.