Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by StratDoc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

My Barracora - one my favorites in the collection - has started exhibiting gremlins. I thought I had it fixed - repinned some connectors, reflowed solder joints - but now it will occasionally reset during game - the game doesn't start over it just will reset the drops. Sometimes it cuts out completely and I cannot restart a game without shutting on and off several times. I also note that the flippers and coils are active in setup and diagnostic mode - in other words they work as if in game play. I am guessing I have a short somewhere?

#2 1 year ago

Did you reflow the switch headers? If so take a dmm and make sure don't have continuity between any 2 pins on each header. I've had solder flow and bridge adjacent pins under the plastic.

#3 1 year ago

I am pretty sure it is the relay on the driver board. When I put the pin in setup or diagnostic mode the relay opens, thus activating the flippers and coils. Relay has 2n4401 transistor that could be bad? Or IC8 acting up?

Also forgot to mention that the solenoid fuse is blowing on occasion - just blew. Doesn't blow consistently, but there is something that will make it blow seemingly random. Can play 20-30 games without an issue.

#4 1 year ago

Have you replaced the 40-pin interconnect?

#5 1 year ago

Yes. that was replaced. F2 fuse now getting hot and blowing after short game play. Short somewhere.

#6 1 year ago

Which connectors did you repin already? Did you already replace the electrolytic capacitors on the power supply already?

#7 1 year ago

Yes, all capacitors replaced by someone prior to me. Look new.

Okay, so 3j3 pins on power board 7, 6, 5, 4 all buzzed. Pulled the board and found a solder trace between 6 and 5. That has been there since I got the pin as I have not reflowed anything on the power supply. Cleaned that up.

Left jet bumper is getting extremely hot - can smell it - and does not work. Was not a problem before cleaning the solder trace mentioned above. Q4 seems to test okay but have not pulled it off the board.

Quick wiring color question - power supply at 3j3 show 5, 4 pins as orange. Wiring color on this pin grey and blue???

#8 1 year ago

Damn I thought this was a conversion to gremlins lol

#9 1 year ago

UPDATE

I think I got the fuse and jet bumper issues resolved. I am now back to my original question below. Any thoughts?

The flipper relay is activated when the "advance up/down" button is pushed inside the coin door causing all coils and flippers to work during setup mode. Is this correct behavior for the game? Game is now playing fine, except for this behavior. Any thoughts on this issue?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

UPDATE
I think I got the fuse and jet bumper issues resolved. I am now back to my original question below. Any thoughts?
The flipper relay is activated when the "advance up/down" button is pushed inside the coin door causing all coils and flippers to work during setup mode. Is this correct behavior for the game? Game is now playing fine, except for this behavior. Any thoughts on this issue?

My Barracora activates the flipper switch relay when you press down the up/down button and hit advance. This should be normal. I can activate the flippers in the first test which is the displays. Hope that helps.

#11 1 year ago

Thanks. Then normal it sounds like. Back in business!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside