IMG_9025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9023 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9005 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9015 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8972 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8970 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8969 (resized).jpeg
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think some of you might be expecting a little too much from a barn find game. .

I'm seeing EXACTLY what I expect from a true "barn find" game...a game that looks like it was found in a barn after spending decades there exposed to weather, vermin, moisture, etc.

It's up to an individual if they want to deal with stuff like that. There is a day, maybe 15-20 years ago, where I'd be happy to deal with it. There is a day, today, when I have zero interest.

OP is gonna go check it out, and see what he finds before he makes a decision. Good approach. I'm looking forward to the pics!!!

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

This patient is terminal even if you love them.

This is gonna sound harsh but pull the Jones plugs on this one. Your heart says save but this will end in frustration. It will be a very expensive pile of firewood.

#53 1 year ago

I'm not sure this one is worth restoring, but I think its still has value and is worth picking up.
You'd be helping out a family that could use the extra money. And I'd have to think you'd be able to get your money back from the useable parts. The lockdown bar, the coin door, the side rails, the glass, maybe a couple drop targets, pop caps, maybe even the legs (if sand blasted), etc. Also, something that I didn't see mentioned yet (but maybe just missed), is cleaning the playfield up and just having it as wall art. It likely isn't perfect, but seems ok enough to have as decoration. Overall I think you'd be helping a family out, helping some fellow pinball enthusiasts who need parts, and maybe even breaking even and have a wall art playfield. Not a bad deal overall IMO.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

This is gonna sound harsh but pull the Jones plugs on this one. Your heart says save but this will end in frustration. It will be a very expensive pile of firewood.

No doubt.
You can’t turn this turd into a hotdog but sixtyfourbits is right you might be able to make some Vienna sausages out of it.

#55 1 year ago

Some of the same folks on here telling you it's not worth the price or not worth anything would be breaking their arms getting their wallet out to buy the game....$300 is a fair price for both parties in 2023.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm seeing EXACTLY what I expect from a true "barn find" game...a game that looks like it was found in a barn after spending decades there exposed to weather, vermin, moisture, etc.
It's up to an individual if they want to deal with stuff like that. There is a day, maybe 15-20 years ago, where I'd be happy to deal with it. There is a day, today, when I have zero interest.
OP is gonna go check it out, and see what he finds before he makes a decision. Good approach. I'm looking forward to the pics!!!

Sure, I personally don't have much interest in this title as a barn find. I've refocused on other things too at this point. There was a time I was interested in just about every project within a 300 miles radius, though.

Who knows, maybe it's going to be a serviceable project.

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from rstrunks:

Some of the same folks on here telling you it's not worth the price or not worth anything would be breaking their arms getting their wallet out to buy the game....$300 is a fair price for both parties in 2023.

You do realize that the backglass has several cracks ? If it wasn't broken, I'd say go for it for 300.

As it is, my time is worth more even if it was FREE.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from rstrunks:Some of the same folks on here telling you it's not worth the price or not worth anything would be breaking their arms getting their wallet out to buy the game....$300 is a fair price for both parties in 2023.

Guilty as charged.
What do you think it will cost to get it to NC?

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from rstrunks:

LOL nope id set that fucker on fire

#60 1 year ago

I’m over my phase of thinking every machine needs saving.

#61 1 year ago

I've only been doing restorations for a few years now. This one would be a learning opportunity, even if that learning is which games not to attempt to restore. I'm officially going to look at it at 2 on Friday. I'll have all of the recommended tools and supplies with me in case it's a go. Count on plenty of documentation one way or the other.

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I've only been doing restorations for a few years now. This one would be a learning opportunity, even if that learning is which games not to attempt to restore. I'm officially going to look at it at 2 on Friday. I'll have all of the recommended tools and supplies with me in case it's a go. Count on plenty of documentation one way or the other.

Good luck if you decide to play around on this one, just looks like a major mountain to climb. Drinking a cocktail for you!

#63 1 year ago

I would pass on it...but if you have time and the desire to learn to fix them, I would encourage you to do so. It can be done. I seriously doubt you can expect any type of return value on it, but the worth would instead be in your experience.

God speed my friend.

#64 1 year ago
Quoted from rstrunks:

Fair... For the part it out and break even price.

That $300 computer is filled with rust. That $300 computer is filled with rust. That $300 computer is filled with rust....

#65 1 year ago

new backglass at Shay arcade is $295.00 ..........I picked one up for my Capt. last year, flawless,no stars either

#66 1 year ago

HEP, I haven't checked lately but it said on your web sight that you didn't restore EM machines, I was inquiring a few years ago about maybe having you restore my Capt Fantastic but is said SS and up........I could be wrong

#67 1 year ago

I think it deserves saving. Even though they made a ton of them I can't remember ever seeing this title as an affordable project near me. Nice ones always seem to sell for way more than I'd expect. If the Pinside average is even close I think you could put a fair amount of money into it and still be ok.

Some people enjoy restoration more than playing. There have been some amazing threads on this site showing resurrections of far worse. Could if be full of rust and dead mice? Maybe but I think that is a lot of worst case scenario speculation. Inspect it inside and see what your up against. If it's beyond your comfort level it may be an opportunity for someone else.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 9.32.48 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-03-30 at 9.32.48 AM (resized).png
#68 1 year ago

Money aside, I agree with everyone who says this one is too far gone to be worth the time & trouble. BUT I also want him to get it, restore it, and shove all the "after" photos in our faces.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

. BUT I also want him to get it, restore it, and shove all the "after" photos in our faces.

Ha given the condition and location of this game I initially read this as "in our feces."

Godspeed OP! I seriously cannot wait to see what's behind door #2!

#70 1 year ago

yea. Inside the cabinet will be interesting.

#71 1 year ago

I think it's a given there's at least one dead or living mouse in there.

But might we see something bigger?

Chipmunk?

Rat?

Racoon even?

We should get some boxes going.

#72 1 year ago

It's in Texas and in a horse barn. Maybe an Armadillo ?

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But might we see something bigger?

Chipmunk?

Rat?

Racoon even?

We should get some boxes going.

You've head of pole barns... this should be a barn poll!
_Bugs [including termites]
_Mouse
_Bird or Bat
_Chipmonk
_Rat
_Racoon
_Skunk
_Squirrel
_Cat
_No dead or alive things

#74 1 year ago

1. Set of sockets
2. Backblower
3. Stretch wrap
4. Cheese (for the mouse)

It's worth the challenge. Not garbage, and shame on those that say so.

#75 1 year ago

ask the seller to put a snake in there overnight before You arrive.

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from pinster68:

1. Set of sockets
2. Backblower
3. Stretch wrap
4. Cheese (for the mouse)
It's worth the challenge. Not garbage, and shame on those that say so.

Ha easy for you to say!!!

Time to gofundme so we can get this thing dumped on to Pinster's lawn!

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ha easy for you to say!!!
Time to gofundme so we can get this thing dumped on to Pinster's lawn!

I'll take it!

#78 1 year ago

Great idea Snyper2099. A poll has been added. I'm naively guessing "nothing".

#79 1 year ago

There is no selection for 'dildos'

#80 1 year ago

Get yourself a can of Scrubbing Bubbles. Spray the cabinet outside, let sit, and give it a wipe down. Betcha it'll look like a million bucks. Stuff works great.

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Get yourself a can of Scrubbing Bubbles. Spray the cabinet outside, let sit, and give it a wipe down. Betcha it'll look like a million bucks. Stuff works great.

That's cool. I would have thought that would mess up the paint. I'll have many hours of sunlight to take my time going over it before loading it up.

#82 1 year ago
Quoted from vinnypeppers:

HEP, I haven't checked lately but it said on your web sight that you didn't restore EM machines, I was inquiring a few years ago about maybe having you restore my Capt Fantastic but is said SS and up........I could be wrong

Yeah this barn find is exactly what I am typically asked to restore when it comes to EMs so I have that on there.
Truth be told I do them occasionally but I have to be real careful about what I take in.
They can be very hard to support and troubleshoot from afar with inexperienced owners or bulls in a China shop.

#83 1 year ago

Don’t think anyone mentioned rags and garbage bags to throw them in. Do it while the machine is dry. A wisk broom may help to. Good luck!

#84 1 year ago

Just do it anyway. $300 isn’t too bad, and despite all the rust and nonsense, you could probably be cheap as hell and get it working. Get the wire wheel out, who needs new plungers?

#85 1 year ago

There’s most definitely a jackalope in there.

#86 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

That's cool. I would have thought that would mess up the paint. I'll have many hours of sunlight to take my time going over it before loading it up.

Try a small area if you’re concerned. I wouldn’t do this on a decal or screen-printed cabinet. Stenciled cabinets can handle it. I was given this tip by an old-timer … worked wonders for me.

#87 1 year ago

I think you already made up your mind to take it, so give it a go, it may turn out easier than it looks. I've seen guys pick up worse looking projects.
Good luck

#88 1 year ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Yeah this barn find is exactly what I am typically asked to restore when it comes to EMs so I have that on there.
Truth be told I do them occasionally but I have to be real careful about what I take in.
They can be very hard to support and troubleshoot from afar with inexperienced owners or bulls in a China shop.

thanks for your response..........i'd never give you something that wasn't playable to restore, but that playfield looks real good for an original,they usually wear the blue out by the top drop target above the special,........again thanks for the response........

#89 1 year ago

A HEP Prospector OH MY.
A guy can dream.

#90 1 year ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

A HEP Prospector OH MY.
A guy can dream.

No need. Those things somehow stayed perfect.

#91 1 year ago

You can say that again

#92 1 year ago

Kinda like Breakshit. Every pf I've ever seen is freakin perfect.

#94 1 year ago

Ok.
But a HEP Target Alpha would be THE BEE'S KNEES.

#95 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

[quoted image]

Yeah it probably just needs a fuse.

#96 1 year ago

Did the monsters living in the machine devour the Op? Maybe someone should go check on him.

#97 1 year ago

Be watchful for termite holes. If I saw any of those, I'd run. Seriously, termites SUCK.

#98 1 year ago

I have a partial head you can have.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#99 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Did the monsters living in the machine devour the Op? Maybe someone should go check on him.

Probably still vacuuming.

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Probably still vacuuming.

you win. Driving home after 3.5 hours of cleaning. I’ll post pics and tell the story as soon as I get hone and showered. Here’s a sneak peek…….

9A08B289-2DEF-4C8F-BBB5-7D78661CAD00 (resized).jpeg9A08B289-2DEF-4C8F-BBB5-7D78661CAD00 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 211 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barn-find-pick-up-advice/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.