Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by chucktee
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    what-the-1 (resized).jpg
    image-657.jpg
    image.jpg
    image_5.jpeg
    MetEQ3.jpg
    MetEQ2.jpg
    MetEQ1.jpg
    capfan-pin2.jpg
    image.jpg
    20140928_212911.jpg
    00u0u_3adNqO1BSMf_600x450.jpg
    trash-shirt-1.jpg
    Cheapo-Shirt-Back.png
    Cheapo-Shirt-Front.png
    image-498.jpg
    There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 9 years ago

I just wanted to start a club for those of us that don't need to spend thousands of dollars on pins to be happy with the collection they have. I have a collection of 8 pins most of which I didn't have to spend more than 400.00 on them in working condition. Now most of these are players condition machines but hell I just love to play pinball and would rather have 8 pins that cost less than one new LE version pin. It does help that my better half loves to play pinball and doesn't mind me stuffing the basement with whatever pinball deals I find. Don't get me wrong I would love a MET PRO, Mustang or the new TWD and many others but 4k+ for one machine is hard for me to swallow. It does help that I have a nice barcade with some of the top pins to play only 5 miles from me. So far my bargain finds have been a Monte Carlo, Spy Hunter, Millionaire, Blackout, and a Black Belt.
    Joe

#2 9 years ago

You got a BSD and a Funhouse for about $400 each? MAN i need to move to the states
    They would both be 2K machines here at LEAST !!

#3 9 years ago

I didn't say all my machines were that cheap but the majority were. I did get half decent deals on what I call my A-List machines and they were the first ones bought. I then said the heck with it and started buying pins out of the bargain basement bin

#4 9 years ago

I'm all in. I got my favorite EM Flying Carpet for 150.00 about 5 years ago, and still love it. Also picked up an Evel Knievel for 200.00 in really nice shape. Still deals out there. Just have to dig a little harder.

#5 9 years ago

My Strata-Flite was $150.- Space Time was $250.- Two awesome games for $400.-.

#6 9 years ago

Bought Meteor for $250 which included all new boards in the head due to fire, including an Alltek MPU. It's one of my best playing games now. All of my early SS games are players, but I'm spending $$ to restore the keepers.

#7 9 years ago

I haven't paid over $1k for a pin yet, so I guess I'm in the club?

I also have a Spy Hunter, bought in great condition, and that's a fun player.

My cheapest was a $200 Post Time and I probably overpaid as the cabinet had been painted over with florescent colors, the bells didn't work and everything was old and unmaintained. Was a good learning experience to get it cleaned up and running, though I need to revisit some items as the bell is again fritzing, at least one flipper needs a rebuild, and it occasionally drops a ball from your queue.

I would love to have a NIB someday though, so I'll quietly leave the club if/when that happens!

#8 9 years ago

I got my first pin in the spring, a WIlliams Space Odyssey that was in decent shape. At the time, I knew ZERO about pinball repair but someone gifted me the $350.00 the seller was asking so I took the plunge. I was telling myself at the time that I would either fix up the Space Odyssey and then "flip" it, or just keep it as I started adding new tables to my collection.

I had no idea what I was in for, and I mean that in the best possible way.

In the last 5 months, I have rebuilt the flippers and the pop bumpers. I have cleaned and adjusted all stepper units and score reels. I have cleaned and waxed the playfield and all playfield parts. The playfield rubber is all new and the playfield parts that were "wrong" have been replaced. I have gone through all my playfield leaf switches and adjusted them so they operate the way I'd like them to. The chime unit is rebuilt and sounds great. In each case, these repairs/rebuilds meant that I needed to learn how to do them (thank you Clay Harrell for http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm). It was not all easy because I knew NOTHING. I made mistakes, but thankfully never did anything badly enough that I couldn't fix it as I learned.

Three months ago I had never cleaned a scoring reel. Now I've done 10 of them and if anyone handed me a Williams 1970s EM score reel I could clean and adjust it pretty quickly. Five weeks ago I had never used a soldering iron. Today if I went downstairs to shoot for a bit and I saw anything during play that needed soldering, I could do it. I will get better, of course, but at least I am getting comfortable with soldering. I'm slowly building up a nice set of tools, including the specialized things like flexstones, leaf adjusters, ultrasonic bath and so forth. The fact that I spent so little to get the table made it easier to spend the money I needed to spend in the process of shopping it.

Today, five months later, I am moving closer and closer to being comfortable with the ins and outs of EM repair. I no longer look for that Flight 2000 or that Cyclone or that Funhouse (although I'd still love to own those pins). I am on the lookout for another "Bargain Basement" EM that I can take home and fix up. I know so much more now and it puts me in a much better place as I look for that next table. More than anything, I have learned that I can handle the Electro Mechanical issues. I know enough to make sure I get the best playfield possible so I can concentrate on those other repairs.

More than anything, I have learned that I absolutely LOVE the whole EM thing. I spent a ton of time in my teens in the early 1980s in arcades and I am a huge fan of those classic tables from the early 80s, but I never thought playing an EM would end up being so much fun. My kid brother has taken to calling it "Pure Pinball". You can either make the necessary shots or you can't. Yes, I am pretty sure that there are newer, more expensive tables in my future but for now I am happy shopping for another bargain.

I'm very happy to be a part of this "club" here on Pinside. I have little doubt that my next pin will fit right in here as well. Great thread! Keep those posts coming, bargain hunters!

#9 9 years ago

I would like to join with my sub $400 Williams Time Warp.
    I would also like propose a name change to the "Cheap Bastard Club".
    Cheap Bastards unite! Wear the name with honor!

#10 9 years ago

Whose making the CBC shirts??

#11 9 years ago

Updated the title. I LIKE IT!!! hmm I kinda like the CBC shirt Idea maybe a broken flipper or something. I own a restaurant and get shirts done let me look into it LOL maybe a few one offs. Post your ideas here.
    Joe

#12 9 years ago

How about something like this?
    CBC.jpgCBC.jpg

#14 9 years ago

We could also call this the "My Time Is Worth Nothing" club (of which I'm a charter member).

You know: buy a game for $500, put 50 hours into making it work and look nice, and still call it a $500 game. I'm cool with that.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I would like to join with my sub $400 Williams Time Warp.
    I would also like propose a name change to the "Cheap Bastard Club".
    Cheap Bastards unite! Wear the name with honor!

How about CAPB (Cheap Ass Pinside Bastards)?

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Whose making the CBC shirts??

I would but I can't afford the licensing fees.

*edit* I can probably work with the broken flipper idea though.

#17 9 years ago

I'm getting into EMs. Have two, third one on the way. $450.00, $700.00 and $800.00 paid for each of them.

I definitely, strongly agree that you don't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a pin collection in order to enjoy it.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I would but I can't afford the licensing fees.

Cheap basturd!

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Cheap basturd!

SEE THERE YOU GO! I'M IN!

#20 9 years ago

My first...RK.....PF paint a little beat...but all works nice....I had to get one player1/2 display and done....got him down to $600 on craigslist........love the game............Joey

#21 9 years ago

This thread could and likely will degrade into the "bragging about deals"-club...

I think a players condition and b-listers for life club might work too.

Personally, I've never once played a cabinet ... worn cabs are welcome in between two machines with better sides. You only need two machines with decent sides, ideally one has a good left and one has a good right.

#22 9 years ago

I have only ever had 2 games over 1K. I cannot justify spending so much money on a "toy". Besides the cheap ones are just as good sometimes. I just play other peoples high end stuff.

#23 9 years ago

I think best deal was a Pinbot for 200 that had no issue other than the lady had no idea where the power switch was. Was missing the topper dome but who the crap cares.

#24 9 years ago

I have been in this club for many years . . . having been dubbed 'Cheap Bastard' by my wife 3 decades ago!

#25 9 years ago

All pins were much cheaper when I bought mine. My HS, F-14, EBDx2, Elektra, Blackout, and BMX were all pretty cheap.

#26 9 years ago

Getting started....was busy tonight so didn't get much done.. =P

cheapoShirt-228.pngcheapoShirt-228.png

#27 9 years ago

I just paid $400 for a non working lightning but it had a ton of extra parts and boards so I took the plunge.
    It has become a very expensive hobby to be sure unless you dumpster dive for deals!

#28 9 years ago

18 pins. Only one cost me more than $600, TSPP.

#29 9 years ago

My first EM cost me $50, my cocktail was $100, and I just passed on a $200 EM with a rodent chewed wiring harness. Am I in?

#30 9 years ago

I'm in. Just bought my first EM Williams Argosy not working but in pretty good shape for $200. Spent a couple of months figuring it out and how to read schematics. Thanks to help from some nice Pinsiders it is now working 100%. I'm having problems finding more and Argosy's getting lonesome. I have found a couple locally but they want way too much $.

#31 9 years ago

I'll take one of those shirts but only if they're cheap.

#32 9 years ago

I guess I have to join

Time warp $30
    Gorgar $200
    Party Animal $500
    High speed $700
    Cyclone $800

Yeah I'm a cheap bastard

#33 9 years ago

Here's mine...

Seawitch - Free
    NBA Fastbreak - Free
    Time Line - $40
    Tri Zone - $100
    Evel Knievel Home - Free
    Evel Knievel - $100.00
    Hollywood Heat - $200.00
    Lost World - $50.00
    Kings of Steel - $200.00
    Gorf Arcade - Free

#34 9 years ago

I like this thread. Unfortunately, I think I'm disqualified from joining based on my current lineup.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

third one on the way. $450.00

Quoted from spfxted:

Cheap basturd!

#36 9 years ago

They don't call me a cheap bastard. They just call me Dutch.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I like this thread. Unfortunately, I think I'm disqualified from joining based on my current lineup.

It's okay, I feel that way too, but I do have a 150 buck EM sitting in my living room, so it's okay, right?

#38 9 years ago

I really like my $30 BadCats

Had a $10 ES for a while...sold it to a friend for $800...he sold it for $1500

I also enjoy my $100 Fire!

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It's okay, I feel that way too, but I do have a 150 buck EM sitting in my living room, so it's okay, right?

I'd say you're in.

I used to buy cheap beaters before a became a pin snob. I once scored a $700 Taxi & $850 BSD.

#40 9 years ago

Chug chug chug...

cheapoShirt2.pngcheapoShirt2.png

#41 9 years ago

Okay so.....anyone interested?

cheapoShirt-112.pngcheapoShirt-112.png

#42 9 years ago

Love it! I need two of those!
    Joe

#43 9 years ago

If it wasn't obvious, it's front/back. I'm asking Robin's permission to use Pinside's name, and I'll have to do some actual alignment on something other than MS PAINT....hell, who am I kidding, I'll probably try to vectorize it too. It's all pixel art by hand, Inkscape should be able to auto-vector this with very little trouble except the text...and I have the fonts, so...yeah.

Let me get all my ducks in a row, proper like.....and I'll see what we can do. I can't use Inkscape at work and I'm very rarely at home with free time, so hopefully the auto-vecotorizer makes quick work of it and all I have to do is re-type the text!

#44 9 years ago

Wow! Finally I club I can belong to!
    Damn, its only cheap pinball machines.

I guess Ill be a lurker, because I am a cheap bastard about everything else!

Love the artwork, Frax!

(but my first couple dozen games were under $150....but that was the 80's....most were $50.
    I splurged for a Paragon, at $250)

#45 9 years ago

Looks good frax. I'm in for a buck lmao sorry I'm a cheap bastard

#46 9 years ago

Gottlieb Hot Shot for $75.00 and Williams Spanish Eyes for $25.00

Disclosure, had to buy a backglass for the Spansh Eyes for $175.00

#47 9 years ago

A few of mine.. That were ridiciulously cheap -

Genesis - Free
    Blackout - $60
    Jungle Lord - $100
    Secret Service - $100
    Seawitch - $100
    Firepower - $150
    Galaxy - $100
    Flash - $50

Now granted, none of these were even close to working when I got them, some worse than others. But Still... I ended up keeping most of them, after all the blood sweat and tears had to keep em!

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from smileymatthew:

A few of mine.. That were ridiciulously cheap -
    Genesis - Free
    Blackout - $60
    Jungle Lord - $100
    Secret Service - $100
    Seawitch - $100
    Firepower - $150
    Galaxy - $100
    Flash - $50
    Now granted, none of these were even close to working when I got them, some worse than others. But Still... I ended up keeping most of them, after all the blood sweat and tears had to keep em!

Some nice scores!

#49 9 years ago

Let me know when you're ready to part with your Genesis...I'll pay you TRIPLE what you paid.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from cyroute:

How about something like this?

CBC.jpg 53 KB

Too much....we ARE cheap bastards after all

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bargain-basement-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.