20201220_132403 (resized).jpg
16093610974494921896858594957586 (resized).jpg
16093603932353689317371472761968 (resized).jpg
Overlay (resized).jpg
a1de5ebcb3c0028125c98b23aefb3f338caf9e80 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201226_190339614 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201226_190202379 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have an Eight Ball Deluxe bare playfield and a Fabulous Fantasies overlay and looking for suggestions on how to proceed. Do I clear first, put down the overlay, then clear again? I can't say that I'm real excited about using automotive clear coat with all thats required to spray it. Thoughts?

#2 3 years ago

Automotive clear is extremely durable when mixed right. With the correct clear, and hardener its great stuff. Just dont use an aerosol can. My thought would be spray it, and allow 3 weeks for the clear to gas out, then apply the overlay. Id imagine the process is similar to automotive clear bra. The general rule is, allow several weeks for the paint to gas out/harder then apply tthe film.

#3 3 years ago

I would highly suggest a hard top, rather than overlay.

http://www.outsideedgeproducts.com/store/p75/Pinball_Playfield_Hardtop.html

You wouldn't have to deal with clear coating or decal wrinkling.

#4 3 years ago

Sell the overlay, let it be someone else's problem

Get a hardtop

#5 3 years ago

Get a hardtop.

If you go overlay: you are going to have to clear it.
use glamour 2k 2pac in spray can.
Premixed, premeasured.
No left over cans of clear and associated chemicals. ( unless you plan on doing multiple restorations)
Clean up is: throw away can.
$22 per can, more $ per use yes, and i generally use 3 cans per playfield restoration, but easy peasy.
Always fresh, i buy it when i am going to use it.

Just as deadly though so use the necessary ppe.

#6 3 years ago

Herb’s EBD and KISS overlays were by far the best back when nothing else was available. I did several of both and tried several different methods of applications. I will be glad to share the method that ending up being my go to, but before I do a couple warnings: prep is critical, patience as well and last but not least time spent to achieve a perfect overlay application does not make sense now that the hardtop is available. One last point to disclose, no substitute for a complete playfield swap.

#7 3 years ago

Hardtop, or CPR playfield swap is the only thing I would even consider today.

So many issues with the overlay. Even if a higher quality. Prep, alignment, clarity of instead when done, fixing cupped inserts, ball not rolling correctly, like you are playing on shag carpet, Wrinkling down the road if you have the game in a hot garage. I have first hand see all of these problems with overlays. Even if it looks good on day 1, think about 3-5 years down the road and 5k to 10k plays later. Durability has to be considered here.

Hardtop abd new playfield address all the above.

There is so much work getting back together, the cost difference to buy a hard tip is insignificant to the amount of effort to tear back apart and peal off a crappy overlay.

#8 3 years ago

I was in the same boat as you, I would listen to the guys with the experience saying a Hardtop would be quicker/easier, it wasn’t released at the time I was working on this or I would have looked at going that route

I can’t speak to how it will wear as I finished the playfield a year ago and I am still working on the cabinet.

Here is the basic method I used with the Fabulous Fantasies overlay on my Eight ball deluxe
Sanded the playfield
Sprayed two 2K 2pac clear in a can on the bare wood
Let it sit for about a month
applied the overlay wet using rapid tac
another two weeks to let it dry
Sprayed another two 2K 2pac clear cans on top
polished and reassembled
I had no wrinkling or any issue with reassembling, a few of the keylines aren't perfect

here are two pictures of the finished project

PXL_20201226_190202379 (resized).jpgPXL_20201226_190202379 (resized).jpgPXL_20201226_190339614 (resized).jpgPXL_20201226_190339614 (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. Actually I have a CPR playfield on the way already, and was just looking to take this bare playfield, along with my original playfield and the 2 overlays I have to make 2 playfields that I could sell. So I'll probably go ahead and just sell everything and install the CPR - along with a new backglass and plastics

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from ranman2001:

I was in the same boat as you, I would listen to the guys with the experience saying a Hardtop would be quicker/easier, it wasn’t released at the time I was working on this or I would have looked at going that route
I can’t speak to how it will wear as I finished the playfield a year ago and I am still working on the cabinet.
Here is the basic method I used with the Fabulous Fantasies overlay on my Eight ball deluxe
Sanded the playfield
Sprayed two 2K 2pac clear in a can on the bare wood
Let it sit for about a month
applied the overlay wet using rapid tac
another two weeks to let it dry
Sprayed another two 2K 2pac clear cans on top
polished and reassembled
I had no wrinkling or any issue with reassembling, a few of the keylines aren't perfect
here are two pictures of the finished project[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great, thanks for the pics!

#11 3 years ago

I cannot speak to the quality of Fabulous Fantasies, but the Classic Arcades overlay I received off of ebay was beyond garbage, to the point of missing art, incorrect colors... and did I say missing art? No buildings behind insterts in Attack From Mars. The quality of the one you have is likely better, but in my experience they are suitable to make excellent... wallhangers. I could see these being a God Send when no other options were around, but the hardtops and replacement playfields are vastly superior.

Good luck!

I will say, 100% do a visual inspection to verify colors, art, sizing is all correct.

Mine is hanging from my wall.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-overlay-disapointed-pics-inside#post-5811500

Overlay (resized).jpgOverlay (resized).jpga1de5ebcb3c0028125c98b23aefb3f338caf9e80 (resized).jpga1de5ebcb3c0028125c98b23aefb3f338caf9e80 (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago

I don’t even like the CPR overlays as wall hangers. They are so bad. They make you mad every time you look at them, are they are not cheap for what crap they are.
Please, throw all these away. If you sell to someone else they might think about destroying a good game by installing

I would love to see just one person chime in here with a positive experience with one of these CPR overlays.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from athens95:

I don’t even like the CPR overlays as wall hangers. They are so bad. They make you mad every time you look at them, are they are not cheap for what crap they are.
Please, throw all these away. If you sell to someone else they might think about destroying a good game by installing
I would love to see just one person chime in here with a positive experience with one of these CPR overlays.

Did CPR ever do any overlays?

#14 3 years ago

Vid,
You know the answer to that. No. Herbs overlays were really good, in fact CPR is using his screens now. Darin at Phoenix made a really good Funhouse overlay as well. The new CPR digital EBD is really nice, better then my screened “Gold”. I wish they would have painted the back grey though, now I need to call in a favor to my neighbor.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did CPR ever do any overlays?

Maybe he meant classic arcades?

I never heard that CPR ever did overlays either.

#16 3 years ago

Sorry, my mistake. Classic arcade overlays.

I have only good things to say about the CPR playfields,

#17 3 years ago

My CPR stuff is with UPS sitting on the other side of the border as of today. I was able to get the 2nd last playfield in the current run. I also put my fabfan overlay on ebay today

ebay.com link: Fabulous Fantasies Eight Ball Deluxe Pinball Overlay

#18 3 years ago

I do overlays for customers from time to time. I sand flat first. Get all the art off. Then clear flat. Sand again except over inserts (you want inserts to be clear here, so you can see them through the overlay) then apply overlay. then clear 3 more times. while block sanding between layers.

#19 3 years ago

So this is a thing of beauty New playfield, backglass, and plastics arrived today!

16093603932353689317371472761968 (resized).jpg16093603932353689317371472761968 (resized).jpg

#20 3 years ago
16093610974494921896858594957586 (resized).jpg16093610974494921896858594957586 (resized).jpg
#21 3 years ago

It is a beauty and no overlay required!

#22 3 years ago

Insert inappropriate expression here.
Gonna have to go with SWEET!

#23 3 years ago

Im going to wait a month or two before I install it to give it some extra cure time. I had a bad bridge rectifier and just got it back up and running today so I want to get some winter playtime in first

3 weeks later
#24 3 years ago
Quoted from athens95:

I had an EBD overlay. It lasted about a year and it started getting wrinkly and bubbly from the clearcoat, I assume. I will never use one again, thats for sure.

20201220_132403 (resized).jpg20201220_132403 (resized).jpg20201220_132414 (resized).jpg20201220_132414 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#25 3 years ago

yes, rattle can type clears do not work well with overlays. I've done several for people over the years, and they always lasted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 179.00
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bare-playfield-and-overlay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.