(Topic ID: 283656)

Barb Wire, game works, but no flashers, ideas?

By kmcmorris

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by kmcmorris
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20201213_160549542 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201213_160545494 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Just picked up this pin yesterday, had known issue of no flashers, either playfield or lightbox. fuses good, someone said something about a main "power resistor" on bottom of playfield, but havent found it yet. All I've found so far is a resistor board, part # 32137 with a resistor cut, and some jumper wire soldered in, looks like fixing a bad trace. The cut resistor should measure .33 ohms, and it does, even though the color bands are wrong for that resistance, so i resoldered it in line, and when i started the game, it blew a fuse on the transformer board, thr controlled lighting fuse. has me stumped. Marco has the resistor board, but with a different part number and the 3 main resistors are obviously smaller on their part, see pics. Any ideas?

PXL_20201213_160545494 (resized).jpgPXL_20201213_160545494 (resized).jpgPXL_20201213_160549542 (resized).jpgPXL_20201213_160549542 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

That board looks like hell, I'd replace it either way.

Also look at this thread for information about flashers on Gottliebs - not sure if this applied to Barb Wire, would have to check the manual.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-mario-flashers-on-playfield-not-working

Here's a picture (R1, top of the picture) of what may be the issue.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-6789-flash-bulbs-out-on-gottlieb-system-3-fuse#post-290143

#3 3 years ago

I am planning on replacing the board, but I cannot find the exact match, they have an identical one on marco, but the three big resistors are different values, and it's a slightly different part number, I may order it than just try to find the resistor separately and put them on, I will read the links you said, thank you!

#4 3 years ago

Perhaps give them a call to see if the values are compatible with the game.

#5 3 years ago

http://pbresource.com/boards.html

There are three A13 resistor board variations listed on PBR.

Try emailing PBR--they might be able to tell you the correct configuration and resistor values of that resistor board.

Normally, those boards would be listed in the parts catalog, but the last few gottlieb games (including barbwire) weren't included in the final parts catalog that was released.

#6 3 years ago

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!! Seems some owner just cut the power resistor to let the game play without the flashers. So after a lot of tracing, it ended up being one flasher (captive ball), was taking out the system. If i took the wires off of it, all is well, new fuse, no blow, everything works. I'm guessing the mosfet trsnsistor is direct shorting on that flasher, ordered a new one and will replace thursday. needs a few coils replaced too, so I'm taking the whole playfield apart for a good cleaning. Has 2 cracked plastics over the left and right lower kick backs, which are pretty un obtainable from what i gather, so I cut new ones out of lexan, and am going to try to print new ones on adhesive acetate, and see how that works out.. worth a shot.
Thanks for all the replies!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barb-wire-game-works-but-no-flashers-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.