• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo (1).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 9 years ago

There are 2 different sound "boards" in this game. The one on the MPU and the seperate sound board. Your problem might be on either "board".

The sound board on the MPU has 2 outputs and can generate sounds and speech.
The seperate sound board has up to 4 outputs and can generate sounds and speech and has 2 FM outputs for music.

You can narrow down which of the 6 sound lines is low by disabling one of the sound boards

Pull the processor from the remote sound board and this will only let the two MPU based ouputs works. Put that back in and then pull the processor from the MPU board (not the main processor, but the one nearest the sound roms) and try it again to test the 4 from the seperate sound board.

This will enable you to isolate the problem to a specific board.

Once you have isloated the problem to a board then you can start trying to diagnose it more accurately.
There are some op amps (pre-amps) for each sound line as well as a couple of in line caps that are the likely culprits for the low sound.

Popping the Banzai eproms into the Dr Dude board and putting that in Banzai will also accomplish almost the same thing.

#17 9 years ago

Remember the system 3-7 sound board? Starting with system 9 that sound board is on the mpu. And the system 6-9 speech board got moved to the mpu board starting with system 11. They were both removed on system 11C.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

The capacitors on the CPU board that are near the sound roms do look a little old.
I see the 3 black caps near the roms but what about those other 5 that I circled in the picture?
Should I just change the 3 black ones?
Or the 3 black ones and the little ones too?
Are these even the right caps for the sound roms? lol

Those caps are not for the sound. Those are for the power in or the reset section of the board.

#20 9 years ago

Cap C8 is inline with the MPU generated sound before it gets mixed in with the MPU generated speech.

Op amp at U4 is inline with the speech as are caps C9 and C15.

The Op amp at U5 is after the speech and sounds are mixed.

Do you know if the MPU based speech is working? I would remove the processor on the remote sound board to disable sounds from there and see if the MPU based speech is working or low.

Check out Page 3 of the system 11 MPU schematics and look at the lower left corner to see the sound generating chips. The CVSD at U3 generates the speech signal the the DAC at U2 generates the sound effects.

#22 9 years ago

I would start with the cap at C8 and after that try the 1408 DAC at U2.

Ed at Great Plains Electronics has a replacement for the 1408

DAC0808LCN

#25 9 years ago

Isn't it an electrolytic cap at C8?

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CEA-10uF-50V-VX

You can always increase the voltage value on caps, as long as it still physically fits in that location.

I suppose you can change it to a tantalum.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 279.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 169.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Thetford Mines, QC
$ 1,490.00
$ 180.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banzai-run-low-sound-effect-issue?tu=kbliznick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.