Screenshot_20240105_104140_YouTube (resized).jpg
IMG_3597 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3598 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1238 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1241 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1242 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1240 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 9 years ago

Glad to be a member of this club. I'm very proud of my BR. Bought it in parts, clearcoated both fields myself (my first cc project). Very happy with the result!

tmp_20179-294154-i1866773989.jpgtmp_20179-294154-i1866773989.jpg

I love this game. It is truly something else. The gameplay, the music, the light show, et cetera. It all blends together so perfectly. Wow.

7 months later
#25 8 years ago

I just put my beloved BR at my parents place. I'm moving into a smaller appartment and they have the space for it. No way I'm selling it. I see it as an extra reason to visit them once in a while .

After placing it there I played a few test games. MAN this game is great.

To all of you that have a mylared BR: I definately recommend clearcoating it. If done right, the game will play all the better for it. Mine 'feels' like a WPC-game now. Hard to describe, and different strokes for different folks, but I LOVE it.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I don't have any Mylar.. "just by slings" did they ship some with and without?

I'm not sure what the possibilities were, back in 1988. Maybe some were shipped with mylar and some without. But I've also heard stories that mylar was shipped seperately with the game, so operators could make their own decision to install it or not.

Either way, examples both with and without mylar exist (and the XR7 clearcoated sample games, of course). I actually sold my first BR fairly quickly after buying it, because that was a non-mylared game with damaged insert decals. This was before the time that insert decals became available.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

After removing the mylar, the whites are still white except for outside the mylared area where it has yellowed. Can you ever bring this back to white before you clear?

Power sponges in combination with Naphta and lots of patience will get rid of some of the yellowing and ball swirls. It does weaken the top layer of the paint a bit, so be very careful. Once clearcoated, the field is protected again. Good luck!

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

BTW, you guys put super bands on the upper playfeild yet? It is a must...

Yup, mine has super bands on all flippers. And silicone rubbers from Led4pin.eu everywhere else. It looks and plays beautifully.

#40 8 years ago

Thanks for sharing that image, JLP! It's very helpful!

2 years later
#124 6 years ago

I need an extra digit
hmmm...hmmm...

2 months later
#133 6 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Has anyone ever had the Hill rod motor open to regrease?
Edit: we got it open. Grease is hard as a rock. Going to clean it and regrease filling the procedure for a noisy JM hand motor

Interesting! My hill rod motor is noisy as hell, too. Did the regreasing help?

Also, how did you open the gearbox? Does it open by removing these screws?

1520620032479368739160 (resized).jpg1520620032479368739160 (resized).jpg

6 months later
#213 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

sure there are going to be several posts from me due to my new acquisition. Has anybody pulled the Mylar from their game? what were the results?

Like others said, when you pull the mylar off, you're definitely going to have to deal with replacing insert texts. And probably with a lot of other stuff as well.

Years ago, I bought my Banzai Run as an abandoned project: in pieces. The previous owner had pulled off the mylar, and lots of inserts were damaged because of it. It took me very long to get the playfield back to the quality I wanted.

Considering the inserts, I took out every single one of them, cleaned them, sanded them, polished them, cleaned them again, glued them back in the playfield and put a decal on them. After that, I had to retouch the imperfections of the decals. This was before the existence of playfield protectors, so I had to clearcoat the playfield to protect it and the new decals from damage and to make the surface flat again.

My Banzai Run does look beautiful in the end, but this was one hell of a project. I don't think I'd want a project of these proportions ever again.

1 year later
#286 4 years ago

Backup ball lifter is in the house. I know I'll sleep much better now.

Thanks a bunch swinks and transprtr4u for making this happen!

20200212_131559 (resized).jpg20200212_131559 (resized).jpg
1 year later
#340 3 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

It does during that actual game but the high score will read as 9,999,999 when scrolling through the hstd.

Yup...
20210225_111116 (resized).jpg20210225_111116 (resized).jpg20210225_111119 (resized).jpg20210225_111119 (resized).jpg

#342 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Does the game know what the actual score is behind those 9,999,999? And does it ever display it anywhere? Like if a new player walked up and did 11m but the previous scores were all higher, would the 11m get recorded?
Also wondering if an 8-digit LED replacement has ever been made?

If my memory serves me well, I always get to put in my initials when I score over 10,000,000. So I don't think it remembers the actual score for longer than until you start the next game.

#344 3 years ago
Quoted from razoraustralia:

I'm never scoring anywhere near 9,999,999!!!

Do you know how to score the Extra Ball during Multiball? In my high scoring games, nailing it is usually a big factor.

I only score 10,000,000+ when I'm *really* in the zone. Think I've hit it about 15-20 times in the 7 or 8 years since I restored the machine.

Mine is at 6.5 degrees, 3 balls and Factory Settings (apart from Special = Extra Ball and Finish Line = at 20 laps instead of 25).

Its playfield is clearcoated and therefore the game 'feels' more like a WPC than a System 11. Fast too.

Banzai Run is probably my favorite game ever. I just love everything about it.

IMG_20210225_140532 (resized).jpgIMG_20210225_140532 (resized).jpg

3 months later
#363 2 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

About to join the club tomorrow! Machine looks to be in very nice condition. Besides standard things to look at...anything specific to a BR I should keep a lookout for?
Fair going price for a clean player's condition machine with no playfield wear?
Thanks!

Check the ramp for cracks where the ball hits it on its return from the upper playfield.

Also, examine the lift mechanism and its magnet assembly well. This is prone to breakage when the machine is handled incorrectly.

And the price? In this current environment? Pfff... I'll let somebody else answer that question. Although I can say that a clean original machine without any playfield wear is a rarity nowadays.

Good luck on your pickup! Share some pictures.

1 year later
#432 1 year ago

Pinball Solutions seems to have a led set in stock. Haven't dealt with them, so I can't say anything about their quality or service level.

https://www.pinballsolutions.eu/product/led-display-for-williams-banzai-run/

#434 1 year ago

Aaaand it's gone. Hope you snatched it, Golferron54

3 months later
#445 1 year ago

I bought my BR in parts years ago. Like: literally every one of its parts was apart from any other, up until the last screw. A previous owner who planned to restore it had already removed the mylar. Insert decals had partly come off from removing the mylar.

It did come with new insert decals, but to get them on properly I had to remove all the inserts from the playfield to sand them individually before putting the new decals on. Although I was quite determined to restore the machine (it's an all-time favorite), it was quite the project.

It's now beautifully restored with a clearcoated playfield. And: it was worth it. Not only because it looks the part (colors really do pop without the mylar), but also because a clearcoated playfield plays so much better than a mylared one, in my opinion.

Go for it if you really love the machine, are willing to put time in it and think it's a real keeper. If you're not sure about that, do think twice. Like I said, it's quite a challenge.

2 months later
#461 1 year ago
Quoted from EEE:

Free playfield plastics, just pay for shipping. See above post #450 for pics.

Pm

3 weeks later
#470 11 months ago
Quoted from bobvl:

Just came across this topic and I do hope to share more of my Banzai Run story someday, I have had my own machine for almost three years now but got hooked on pinball and the game trough a friend.
I do have one quick custom on my game most of the time when the ball does not make it into the hill entrance lane it always comes down right between the flippers for a center drain. Is this supposed to happen or are the lane guides not in the right angles?

It's not supposed to be like that. Adjust the lane guide and/or the leg levelers.

2 months later
#484 9 months ago
Quoted from kineticist:

Just posted a new gameplay tutorial for Banzai Run that some folks here may appreciate: https://www.kineticist.co/post/how-to-play-williams-banzai-run[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice write up!

Ps. Holy shit, almost 2 weeks later and I'm your first thumbs up? A shame this club is so dead

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 180.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1,490.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 279.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Thetford Mines, QC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banzai-run-club-banzaiiiiiiiiiiii?tu=Jappie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.