BR3 (resized).jpeg
BR2 (resized).jpeg
BR1 (resized).jpeg
4871C337-82A3-45E6-B2EB-3EF55FD9A207 (resized).jpeg
6F83B6CE-3488-487C-A71E-3FFD55841F87 (resized).jpeg
5FD80129-9F98-4D44-BA71-9C201ECBACCF (resized).jpeg
C28CB596-6CE9-40CE-AD71-A56A9BF57F0A (resized).jpeg
0368A523-550A-4C2B-81EF-FD7369047937 (resized).jpeg

There are 409 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 4 days ago

Something is not right with that connector. From memory the only connector of that type is for the lamp power matrix capacitor.

#402 4 days ago
Quoted from razoraustralia:

Something is not right with that connector. From memory the only connector of that type is for the lamp power matrix capacitor.

Yeah but if you look at the color of the wires at J8K connector in the picture it looks like my random connector. Looks like I am just going to make a new connector for it to fit onto J8K

#403 4 days ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah but if you look at the color of the wires at J8K connector in the picture it looks like my random connector. Looks like I am just going to make a new connector for it to fit onto J8K

It does appear that someone hacked together the GI strands into one plug. Just be sure to trace them back and make sure they are heading to the lower playfield. It's hard to tell from the photo; but, it also looks like J8 has been repaired with new headers behind the yellow/yellow-white strands. Do you know if someone had attached the odd Molex connector directly to the header pins? My SWDE had a similar hack job on it's GI strands. Someone took them all and wrapped them into a connector and then soldered the other end onto the header pins directly on the board. It does go a long way to show how fragile/bad the IDC connectors are at handling heat when someone with a bunch of solder and tape can wrap all of them into two pins and not have it also catch on fire.

Unless you are certain that J8's header is new and that the traces to the pins are in good condition by pulling the board, I would then go through the trouble of making a new connector with the 9 pin Molex with Trifurcon pins as the GI is using the loop backs to split the load across all of the headers. The loopbacks can be a bit tricky; but, you want to make sure to do them right and split them on their own pin and strand to prevent the heat from building back up.

When I was trying to sort out my game's issues, I had tackled the GI first and LOVED working on the awkward positioning of the interconnect board and the wiring harness deep in the extended backbox. It looks like you should have enough strand length to make it work; but, it's going to be tight working on it. Pulling the upper playfield like you did is the best you can do to make some room.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banzai-run-controlled-lamp-matrix-issue-help-needed#post-6613020

#404 4 days ago

What jedimastermatt said.

Quoted from pacman11:

I really don't like posting. It takes time to write (type) and verify (proof read).

I would strongly recommend that you do NOT randomly connect things. The image that you originally provided for the connector is poorly illuminated and out-of-focus. The focal plane is on the board behind and not on the connector in your hand. Manually turn on the flash and make sure the camera has the focal plane on the connector. Alternatively you can describe what you see with a poorly illuminated image. I see electrical tape there. Whenever I see electrical tape the first thing I do is remove it. It's usually hiding something horrible.

#405 3 days ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

What jedimastermatt said.

I really don't like posting. It takes time to write (type) and verify (proof read).
I would strongly recommend that you do NOT randomly connect things. The image that you originally provided for the connector is poorly illuminated and out-of-focus. The focal plane is on the board behind and not on the connector in your hand. Manually turn on the flash and make sure the camera has the focal plane on the connector. Alternatively you can describe what you see with a poorly illuminated image. I see electrical tape there. Whenever I see electrical tape the first thing I do is remove it. It's usually hiding something horrible.

I think you miss understood what o said. Someone else made a random connector for my game and I am going to redo it and get it back to an orginal connector.

#406 3 days ago
Quoted from pacman11:

I think you miss understood what o said. Someone else made a random connector for my game and I am going to redo it and get it back to an orginal connector.

It's your machine. You do what you want with it. You asked the forum for help but didn't provide much information (and didn't get much response either). You can see what is clearly in front of you. The forum can only see what you post in images. Otherwise it must rely on the words you type. If you want verification for anything you plan to do you should provide as much information as you can. I am just trying to help you. If you want to draw your own conclusions then why bother asking for help?

Sorry if this sounds a little ungrateful. I just spent time trying to help you only to have you say "thanks but no thanks". This is why I generally stopped helping people. It's just more evidence for me to stop helping people. "Why bother helping people if they aren't going to take the advice?" I have asked myself that many times. I guess I should keep asking myself that more often.

#407 3 days ago

I think you really need to trace those wires back to confirm that they the GI. Much easier to do that then go to the trouble of re-pinning only to then find that they are not correct.

#408 3 days ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

It does appear that someone hacked together the GI strands into one plug. Just be sure to trace them back and make sure they are heading to the lower playfield. It's hard to tell from the photo; but, it also looks like J8 has been repaired with new headers behind the yellow/yellow-white strands. Do you know if someone had attached the odd Molex connector directly to the header pins? My SWDE had a similar hack job on it's GI strands. Someone took them all and wrapped them into a connector and then soldered the other end onto the header pins directly on the board. It does go a long way to show how fragile/bad the IDC connectors are at handling heat when someone with a bunch of solder and tape can wrap all of them into two pins and not have it also catch on fire.
Unless you are certain that J8's header is new and that the traces to the pins are in good condition by pulling the board, I would then go through the trouble of making a new connector with the 9 pin Molex with Trifurcon pins as the GI is using the loop backs to split the load across all of the headers. The loopbacks can be a bit tricky; but, you want to make sure to do them right and split them on their own pin and strand to prevent the heat from building back up.
When I was trying to sort out my game's issues, I had tackled the GI first and LOVED working on the awkward positioning of the interconnect board and the wiring harness deep in the extended backbox. It looks like you should have enough strand length to make it work; but, it's going to be tight working on it. Pulling the upper playfield like you did is the best you can do to make some room.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banzai-run-controlled-lamp-matrix-issue-help-needed#post-6613020

Yes, all the boards have been professional been repaired and making this connector isn't a big deal to me I've done a lot of them over the years. Thanks for your input.

#409 3 days ago
Quoted from razoraustralia:

Yeah that connector you are talking about I already have in place.. Just looks like someone made up this connector and tried to use it for the GI

There are 409 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside