20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #167 Museum Update & upcoming auction Posted by chuckcasey (2 years ago)

Post #467 Rvdv offer on pick up and shipment Posted by rvdv (2 years ago)

Post #858 auction links Posted by cait001 (2 years ago)

Post #1427 Auction lots being sold on which days Posted by oliviarium (2 years ago)

Post #1533 Video stream link Posted by NPO (2 years ago)

Post #2496 live auction stream on twitch Posted by InvaderHouse (2 years ago)

Post #2810 Article about the auction on nerdist Posted by Knxwledge (2 years ago)

Post #3696 Some lot numbers with prices. Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4227 Auction results Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4230 All Pinball Machine Auction Prices Posted by bobmathuse (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#339 2 years ago

The bright spot is that with basically only one owner, the shill bidding that has become commonplace at other consignment auctions should not be much of an issue. With an auction this big, by the time they get near the end and everyone has spent their money on the more desirable pieces, there should be some real bargains.

In the 1990’s at super auctions, if you stayed until near the end, working and semi-working classics would go for $30-$150. In 1997 during the final four I snagged a fully working Sorcerer for around $150 and SF2 arcade for $50. Spy hunter upright for $80. Crappy 90s jamma games would go for 5 to 10 bucks and stripped in the parking lot for parts. I might go to pick up an em or two, but the damn internet bidding and outrageous buyers premium rate increases on top of CA sales tax have ruined auctions for bargain hunters.

#393 2 years ago

I never understood why I should be paying sales tax on captains’ commission. It should be sales tax on the hammer price only. Screw this paying tax on an additional 18 percent.

Also, are we to assume it will be 3 days of all pins followed the next week by 3 days all arcades?

#486 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Or True Barn Find, Only 4376 Original Plays

There’s a crap ton of barns in this country that are used to store valuables.

#497 2 years ago

Good lord. And that’s before taxes and fees? Who are these idiots paying those prices?

Quoted from Code_Blue:

Midway The Grid went for $4k today. A broken Revenge From Mars went for $3600. Fish Tales $4300. Gottlieb Wipeout $2900.
He's going to do just fine.

Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Zaxxon sold for $1400. Yup, he'll do ok.

#500 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Here’s a few more. It’s almost 11 and there are still more than 100 items to go.
Comet 2,000 TMNJ 6,600 Demolition Man 2,800 Sharkeys Shootout 2,600 Space Shuttle 1,700
Tempest 2,100 Joust 1600 Centipede 2,500 Ms Pacman 1,200 Frogger 1,500 Pacman 1,200

I don’t think I’m going to bother with this auction. Centipede is a fine classic, but $2500? I paid under $500 for mine 8 or 9 years ago. Was it restored by HEP or something?

#502 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Maybe no one. Might be the owners of the machines bidding it up & buying it back.
This is why I think Banning Auction could still be worth checking out - no consignments/buy backs. Prices might be more real.

So, I’m guessing the Captain doesn’t charge the owners/shill bidders the full fees when they “buy” their own crap. Or maybe any fees at all. If he did, it wouldn’t make much financial sense for the owners. I did once witness an owner retract his winning bid several times on his stuff. He was outed and the other bidders refused to buy his machines after that.

#504 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Nope, the seller only pays $25 or so fee, to buy his own game, bidding it up.
If the seller gets stuck as high bidder, he pays $25, and sticks it in the next months auction.
It's a shit policy.
Should be illegal.
I've only bought 2 games in 10 years in the hobby, from Captains.
Mostly because of this shit buyback policy.

It used to be illegal. I think Sotheby’s is the one who lobbied to get the laws changed. It’s shady as shit. Is This guy even a real captain, or is he stealing valor like colonal sanders?

#517 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I have personally met the owner and he is a nice guy. Does he need to be an actual captain? You lost me.[quoted image]

I was being facetious. Although I am curious how he came up with the name “Captain’s Auctions”.

#520 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

This is me remaining cordial.

Did you have an earlier post typed out that you deleted where you were not cordial? I would love to see it.

#535 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

My banning song now. The grid.

I wonder if they will sell that Discs of Tron environmental?
Out of the first lot, I wouldn’t mind having the em Cleopatra.

#543 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That's strange, I don't recall any of those pinball machines from my trips to the museum, except I do remember a Comet there. Maybe those just weren't on my radar, there are 800 or so of them after all.

I remember all of them. Including the arcades. Though the blaster was just a blaster Duramold cab running mame.

2 weeks later
#599 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

They’re worn out. Some of the newer pins were decent. Don’t expect HUO

+1. Even the newer games were not in great shape. Expect at the very least to have to adjust the flippers.

#602 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

One year, at banning…
I was drinking shots with a relative of the owners. He was an older fellow, like an uncle of the owners I think.
We had several shots as he described that he doesn’t like pinball and has never played it, despite his closeness to the owner.
I took this opportunity.
I got him over to tron pinball after about an hour.
I told him why I like it. We played a few games.
Now he has played pinball.
So I guess, the tron has some special meaning to me. I hope that old guy is doing well.

That’s really a touching story. Wait, what?

#644 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Yeah, yeah, just like a person from Norwalk, We were taught to keep it to ourselves, growing up in La Mirada.
Like I said......sssshhhhhhh.

The people willing to pay big money for the rare titles all know about these games. I was a big fan of that Freedom myself. Wonder how much I would have to fork out for that. Certainly not as much as some of the other rare titles? As far as the Rat Race. 9 or 10 were built. One that was complete but non working sold for about $4k 7 or 8 years ago. I played it a few times and it got boring pretty quick.

1 week later
#816 2 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Should be a great auction. Chris at Captains is a great guy and put a lot of hard work into this auction. I wish them success!

He supports shil bids and shenanigans in his auctions. That is not my definition of a great guy. He will make tons of money for what many consider rather easy work.

#1164 2 years ago

Is it possible that online bidders are trolling this auction and have no intention of actually following through with payment? I just can’t imagine there are people willing to pay these prices without first checking out eBay for much better deals.
Never thought I would ever say check out eBay for much better deals.

#1701 2 years ago
Quoted from JWE:$5k for a Joust, Just wow!!!

Idk, they didn’t build that many of them. Pretty boring as far as pinball goes.

#1742 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

He's talkin bout the vidya version.

Quoted from Knxwledge:

Video Joust not pin Joust lol

A simple google search shows one for sale at Vintage Arcade Superstore for $3195. Centipede for $3095. Both went well over $5k with fees. Are these bidders not familiar with google?

#2369 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

He has other non-profits in the works. One involves 3rd world counties. A bunch of this money is going to that.

Yeah, “in the works”. All these rich dudes and celebrities and professional athletes are so into philanthropy. 3rd world countries are all the rage. Money seems to just disappear into the third world void. I’m sure he consulted a lawyer on how to best “give away” all his money.

If this weeks guy doesn’t share the wealth with the volunteer techs and the people who donated games to the museum then I wish upon him 1300 chargebacks on all the buyers stolen credit cards that I suspect are driving this madness.

#3398 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Everyone in this thread could form a blood pact to never buy a game again, and it wouldn't change the spin of the Earth. This is where we are. You can gnash your teeth or find a way to live with it.

I’m going to gnash my teeth and form a blood pact. Now who is with me!!!

#3475 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

Skip,
Check out the following website and scroll down to the bottom where you can see the list of machines that sold.
https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/view-auctions/live-sale/id/80
[quoted image]

Just scrolled through and the Krull caught my eye. It sold for $6500 hammer price. I bought one non working in 2006 for $250 with power supply issue. $50 in parts and it looked and worked great. When I sold it a year later for $600 I thought I made out like a bandit. I wonder if the Krull at the museum was my old one?

#3477 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Would’ve been a steal if it was the Krull pinball machine…

I remember thinking at the time that it would be cool to own both side by side, but a Krull pinball machine at that time would have gone for a crazy price. Probably around $6500.

I have played a Krull pinball machine, and while the concept was kinda cool, it wasn’t all that fun. Kinda like the video game.

#3479 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Could re-do the Krull concept with a mini-playfield that's shown to the player via a video screen. Do some real-time processing on the video to make it other-worldly, change colors, etc.
Would still probably sound cooler than it played!

As I remember it was a fairly large lower playfield that looked small like a mini-playfield because of the way the plastic window distorted it. Similar to looking into the other end of a telescope.It took some getting used to. I suppose you could do something with a camera and an lcd screen, but if either crapped out the game would be unplayable.

#3501 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I played one not too long ago and there is exactly one. So it must be that one.
It is absolutely beautiful but I would have picked the krull pinball in the same room over it. If that is any consolation. The same owner has the zingy bingo prototype and the wizard blocks prototype. King pin in the mix and your head just began to spin. What a game room.

I was there probably the same time you were for the Python Angelo charity event and tournament. The pizza from his giant wood burning brick oven was the highlight for me.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

There are nine (9) examples of King Kong (Data East, 1990) that were made.
This is not Loch Ness Monster which is verified at one, but several more backglasses.

He had Loch Ness monster and I played it as well. I think his pinside handle was something like pinsane or pinsanity. Really cool guy to open his house up to so many strangers. His house was pretty incredible too.

#3533 2 years ago

There is only one pin I was considering bidding on in this auction and it’s coming up this weekend. But I’m guessing it’s going to be out of my price range. I have played it several times at the museum and it is rare, unique, and fun. Nico Volta probably will outbid me. Pop pop pop.

#3724 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Fear not... if you missed out on the Freedom prototype, find yourself a production version. I'll eventually have a replacement playfield, plastics, and mech kit to convert it to the prototype.

That was the only game I’ve bid on. My limit was $2700. I thought about bidding one last time at $3400 but with all the fees it would have been just too much.

#3775 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

OK everyone a big round of applause to our California purveyor of pinball clubs, CaryCarmichael who attained the Freedom Prototype. *woo woo*
Hey Cary... this means it'll be available for play for the peoples, yes?

I’m really regretting not bidding one last time at $3400. These just don’t come up for sale. I figured whoever got it was not one of the same guys who won the Cyclone or Data East Batman. Can you ask Cary if he would have countered at $3500? How high was he willing to go?

#3937 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Warlords cocktail is the one to watch coming up IMHO

I would love to have that game. Probably the most fun 4 friends can have together playing an arcade game. But then I realized, I don’t have 3 friends.

The last game in this auction that I would love to have is Death Race. But as cool as it would be to have, it takes up a lot of space, has little replay value, and will probably go for insane money.

02B2C755-8665-48CC-8B02-F36795E048B6 (resized).jpeg02B2C755-8665-48CC-8B02-F36795E048B6 (resized).jpeg
#3942 2 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I’ll raise to a 4 player Sega Eliminator.

Fun, like playing Rip Off fun, but not warlords fun though.

#3997 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

That is a "barn find" game and includes mouse nest. We never powered it on due to it really needing a professional restore so no damage is done.

Is it possible to get it working? There can’t be more than a handful of two player computer space machines left. If it can be fixed, $10k isn’t so bad. If not, that’s an expensive paperweight.
Pong over $20k? Wtf

#4015 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I now own a Sub Hunter.
The number 1 game I wanted in the auction.
My dad would give me quarters to go play in the arcade while him and my mom were playing in bowling league.
This is the English version of Depthcharge (of which I own two), however this has a two way mirror with blacklight reflective art and a way radder cabinet.
Im soooooooo stoked right now, and my kids feel like they just involved themselves in part of my childhood.
Sooo happy to own this.
This was my favorite game as a kid.

Funny, Depthcharge was one of the first arcade games I got into. Would watch the attract mode forever before dropping
a quarter or two in while my older siblings would bowl. Boot Hill was next to it. They hold a special place in my heart. That sub hunter was next level. I didn’t know it was $20k next level, but I imagine it’s unobtanium rare.

#4026 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:For what it's worth, this version of Depthcharge was not even known to exist until it showed up at CAX 3 years ago.
Although I'm not 100% certain, the machine may be a 1 of 1 as far as examples known to exist.

Your earlier post said you enjoyed playing it at the bowling alley as a kid. Are you saying this is the exact same machine you played as a kid or that, like me, you enjoyed playing depthcharge?

#4028 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Never got any answer about Lot #1224, which I guess starts tomorrow's session.
It seems to be just that one entire wall, as a wall sculpture piece ?
If someone buys that and wants to divvy it up to various interested parties, put me on the list for buying a couple of those jumbo pinballs. You know, as in have a small piece of the MOP for display.

You would have to divvy it up just to transport it. But really it’s just a bunch of mirrored balls that they sell at Michael’s arts and crafts for a few bucks a piece. I don’t see any value in it. If it had sentimental value, then Mr. Weeks would have taken it with him.

#4069 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

So, that's definitely a current off-the-shelf item at Michael's ?

I saw it there maybe a year ago. I immediately thought of the MOP. I was with my wife when she had to pick up some junk. That’s what Michael’s and Hobby Lobby sell, junk. I don’t frequent these stores, but I’m sure you can find these somewhere with a little Google search. I’m absolutely shocked someone paid over $20k for that thing. More shocked than the price that Spyhunter went for. I bought a Spyhunter at auction with power supply issue for $80 about 15 years ago.

#4071 2 years ago
Quoted from Asmig:

6k for a computer space seems like a deal, hoe much more than "just a monitor" did it need?

As I remember they used TVs not monitors.

#4074 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Correct.
There’s a specific model of Zenith that they use and it really needs to be correct to command the money.
I have a Red Computer Space.
It’s a trip because it’s legit an old TV with vaccine tubes etc.

Did it still have the coffee can inside for coin drop?

#4082 2 years ago
Quoted from Asmig:

Maneater $21,600, how rare are these?

Not sure, but I remember one sitting on eBay at $600 for awhile in the early 2000s. I should have bought it. It’s actually uncomfortable to play because the teeth don’t allow you to rest your arms on the control panel.

#4085 2 years ago

In the age of live stream twitch, why does captain have such a crappy video stream?

#4090 2 years ago

Captain claiming Space War was the first video arcade game made. Lol

#4111 2 years ago
Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

My wife wasn’t happy with my high number, and that right there is saying something. I’d have gone north of 8.4 at a hammer.
Now I leave the MOP for the last time with the game that meant the most to me every visit.
‘Where’s Cary?’
‘If he’s not drinking beer in the parking lot, then he’s at Freedom Center Pop.’
[quoted image]

O.k. So now I don’t feel as bad about not bidding one last time. Congrats. I’m glad it went to someone who will be putting it out there for others to play. You must be stoked that you got it for less than half your bidding limit.

#4203 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

For those in the know, why would they have games with ColorDMD if they cared about originality?

The very rare Duramold Blaster was running a 19-1. I don’t think they were too concerned with originality.

#4264 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well, all said and told, the funniest part of the whole thing for me is that I managed to sell my Alien for more than the one at the overinflated Banning auction fetched.
I think there's really four lessons here:
1) Some things just get value by being what they are. Yes, you can buy mirrored balls and make a wall of them for a lot less money. But it won't be the display from the museum, and to someone that history meant something. I'm not judging.

Well, I’m judging. It takes at least two people to bid up to $20k on that arts and crafts project. Was it made by Banksy or someone famous? Totally ridiculous. Anyway, that’s a lot of sentimental value right there. How do you even transport that thing?

https://tv.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/75d11345-fe4f-4f4f-90b9-61aca9b7809f

#4268 2 years ago

Maybe one of you volunteers could answer this question. Why no woodrails? I spent most my time there playing the em’s. It would have been nice to play a few woodrails. In a collection that large, it seems at least a handful of woodrails should have been represented.

#4269 2 years ago
Quoted from vonclod:

Does anybody know where all the proceeds of this auction are going?

“Charity”

#4276 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

and the state is getting its share in taxes too.

I think it was mentioned earlier that most of the proceeds will be placed in Johns charity. So the government probably won’t be getting its share. If you’ve ever wondered why rich athletes, celebrities, politicians, etc. all have their own charitable foundations, well, the cynic might question whether the true motives are to give back to the less fortunate, or to take advantage of loopholes in tax law to keep more of their money.

#4277 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

WHERE do you find any woodrails on display ? I could be wrong, and it's been a few years (prior location, near the 'Crown & Anchor' pub), but I can't recall any being at the PHOF ?

PHOF has a handful of woodrails. And a pinball museum seems like a good place to have them.

#4281 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferd:

There were a few woodrails and bingo machines that would show up, but John primarily focused on 1965's and up. As others have eluded to, there are hundreds of pins and arcade machines in his collection that have not gone up for sale. i believe the pacific pinball museum, is the place to go to see woodrails.

Yeah, I noticed the focus was on 1965 and up. But you would think there would be an exception or two. I was just hoping someone close to him could answer the “why” part. Is there a story behind it?
Like maybe a woodrail collapsed on his favorite dog, or he came home early from work one day and found the mailman, his wife, and a midget doing something unsettling……..and a woodrail was involved.

#4293 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Worst buy? That wall of ballzzzzzzzzzzzzz for $20k
Best buy? That Road Riot proto for $150
Also

You spend $25k and you still have to remove the fucking thing from the wall yourself

I could just see it now. Dude who wasted over $20k on a cheesy $100 BOM high school art project goes to pick it up. He comes with a flat bed trailer semi-truck and class A driver he hired for the day for around $2000 and tries to pull it off the wall and realizes it’s been gorilla glued to the wall. He then hires local laborers from a nearby Home Depot to tear it off the wall in small pieces. Not realizing that those “pinballs” from Michaels are just shiny thin fragile balls of cheap plastic coated in mirrored paint, they all crack and break apart as they are extricated from the wall. $30,000+ all in, he is left with a broken mess of garbage. But hey, the sentimental value to him cannot be measured in monetary terms. The important thing to remember is that Aurich does not judge him.

Sorry, I know this is rather mean of me, but I’ve had a few beers, it’s my birthday in one hour, and I just can’t help myself after losing out on that Freedom middle pop.

#4300 2 years ago
Quoted from Quartermaster:

Just a little lighthearted story for anyone who's not totally exhausted.
In 1975 my partners and I built and opened Noah's Arkade in the La Mirada Mall, in La Mirada California.
During our 14 year run some of our patrons included many of today's collectors and aficionados, among them were the honorable Mr. John Weeks himself, also a young Chuck Casey, and Kevin Glass, to mention just a few. If you were there also you'll have to shout out.
Anyway I was inspired by EricPinballFan's purchase of the Allied Leisure "Monte Carlo" (congrats Eric) The arcade was 3650 sq ft with roughly 90 to 100 games and Monte Carlo was one. Billed as a (cheap) affordable game, (maybe $695.00 I'll look through old invoices later) it was a great purchase. It consistently outearned many of it's more expensive counterparts. It's biggest competitor for cheap but productive game was Atari's "Touch Me" (think coin operated cabinet style version of Simon) If I remember correctly, price tag was $350.00 But it made A LOT of money and drove workers batty.
Beepbeep, boop boop boop beep boop beep, all day long.
Opening day was a bit harrowing as the frontage of the arcade was 60ft across with accordian security gates which were at least 20 deep with anxious kids all the way across, literally counting down the seconds, 5,4,3,2,1 they poured in like a deluge and then the strangest thing happened. For a few minutes it was eerily quiet as they were all just taking it in, unsure what to play first. Then all of a sudden, chaos as the sound of Road Runner, Panzer Attack, Flying Tigers, Midway Gangbusters, Twin Rifle, Dune Buggy, Atari Jaws, Space Race (green fiberglass cabinet), Pong, and a color pong called Wimbledon, Fire Truck, Air Hockey, and numerous pinballs sprang to life. Most of all was full attendance on Atari's Indy 800 Purchased at the astonishing 1975 price of $10,000.00 It made it's money back over time.
So when I saw that Eric had scored the Monte Carlo it took me back to an incredible time that I was very fortunate to be part of. It also reminded me of another incredible time that I was fortunate to be part of. The Museum of Pinball was for me a walk down memory lane, and also a chance for me to meet and work with a most incredible bunch of dedicated lovers of the MAGIC of Pinball and Video, and Mechanical Arcade games. We are a lucky lot and many people will never know that "MAGIC" I enjoyed all of my time working with the volunteer techs and the Weeks family, collaborating with the crew on everything from EM and solid state pins to video games dance machines and even the aforementioned Monte Carlo.
Yes I would drive the 109 miles from my home and volunteer my time again in a heartbeat just for the satisfaction of bringing "that game" any game back to life so that someone could experience the things I had.
So, from me I give a huge THANK YOU! Mr. John Weeks for gathering all these machines and helping to keep this amazing invention alive for those who didn't get to enjoy it in it's heyday.
I'd just like to say that 10 or 15 years ago, Pinball was a fading force, video games were losing out to Xbox, Playstation, CounterStrike, and many other PC Games and diversions. My original arcade, Family Fun Arcade in Granada Hills Ca, was nearing the end of it's almost 40 year run, being held together on the strength of Street Fighter competition and Dance and music games. Arcade games in general had fallen flat and there was barely a beginning of a nostalgia driven collector community or movement. Fast forward to today and it's now a bona fide force to be reckoned with.
I credit John Weeks and ALL those who contributed to the Museum of Pinball with filling that gap between the last gasp of arcades and the new emergence of this community. Many of the games sold here would have been lost forever years ago had they not been at the Museum during that period of lack of interest. John, you made that happen. Thank You for letting me play at your house. I will be eternally grateful.
So go out and support those people who are doing this in other places Tim Arnold PHOF, Steve Young Pinball Resource, Michael Schiess Pacific Pinball Museum, Nico Volta Roanoke Pinball Museum, Calif Extreme, Golden State Pinball Fest, TPF, etc. etc. you know, you fill in the blanks, or maybe, HEY WHAT THE HELL, GET BUSY, GO OUT AND BUILD YOUR OWN DAMN MUSEUM. I'll even volunteer to help.

When I worked for my dad during the summer I would go to the Family Fun arcade during my lunch break. Good times. The last time I went there was around 2004. I drove by and was surprised it was still open. Pretty much every arcade had closed down by then. I talked to a guy that worked there for a bit. He said he had a prototype Earthshaker (where the building drops down). I tried to buy it from him but he said it was not for sale. Was that you?

#4307 2 years ago

For all the volunteers and people who donated parts and games and your time to a good cause, I keep hearing you sing the praises of Mr. Weeks and the museum. But I haven’t heard from any of you if he has shown his gratitude for your sacrifices.. When you were all fixing his games for free, did he at least buy you pizza and beer? After he gave up on the museum, did he at the minimum thank you guys or hold a party? I hope so.

I just know that if I were in his shoes, after this incredible windfall, I would at least make a donation to the Human Fund in your name.

#4311 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks for sharing! While I was doing the gaming on the East Coast, I was one of those crazy teens in 75, that lined up at the gates to play Atari's Indy 800 for hours.
So I looked up to the owners and techs, and mustered my first job in Tech at Pachinko Palace.
Where did the time go?
I watched the auction remembering how many of these I played new.

I said Warlords cocktail was the most fun 4 people could have playing an arcade game. Indy 800 is double the fun. I loved playing that game at CAX. I wonder how much that game would command at auction.

#4332 2 years ago
Quoted from TimO:

In addition to free lunch, free play at the end of the day, free admission to events, free t-shirts and hoodies, etc. John also treated all the volunteers and their families to a tech appreciation night the summer before the pandemic. John was more than generous to us and we would have done it just for the opportunity to work on those machines and learn new things from the other techs. I’m grateful he and Chuck kept it going as long as they did. I don’t regret a single minute of the rime I spend at the MoP.

Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

When we worked on machines on the "tech days" John provided lunch and drinks. There was always an hour or two at the end of the day to play any of the machines as well. We felt well taken care of. It was a great run. I am very happy to have been a part of it..

Good to hear.

4 months later
#4707 2 years ago
Quoted from EMDude:

Enough with the suspense, what game did you get? All I got was a driving arcade "1,000 Mile Rally 2" because I had to have SOMETHING from the MoP!

Quote taken directly from Wikipedia:

You might have heard that 1,000 Mile Rally 2 ranks as one of the worst arcade driver video games ever created. But the reality is it actually is ranked as the worst video game ever created.

2 weeks later
#4709 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/Please-help-me-save-the-games-stuck-in-Banning
Richie Knucklez posted a GoFundMe begging for money to transport his collection out of Banning. All of it reeks of emotional manipulation from a worthless community "figurehead" with a cult of personality. He shoulda sold 3 B-list titles at the Captains Auction and he would have had the money.

Why doesn’t he ask John Weeks for the money? Didn’t he make a killing off the auction? But I agree, sell off some of those games to pay for shipping.

These gofundmes are getting out of hand. They were meant for people who had tragedies befall them in life who had no financial means to deal with them. Not so some guy with a bunch of pricey toys can keep them all.

1 week later
#4725 2 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

That's what I'm most curious about, too. If these machines were legally donated to a 501c(3), aka the MoP, then sold for those stupid prices, who received the proceeds? If Weeks himself did, there are a lot of legal questions to be asked. If those monies were dispersed to a "board of directors" of sorts for the MoP, there are also legal ramifications for that scenario. If the proceeds from the sale of those games that were donated were given back to the families of those who donated them, then all should be fine. I guess someone could have outright purchased the museum before the sale, thereby transferring the entire collection to a single private owner right before the sale. That would be better legally, but still kind of a sheisty thing to do.

The understanding was Weeks was going to set up a new charity foundation to avoid the taxes and embez I mean funnel the proceeds tax free to a good cause that he believes in.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate?tu=vicjw66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.