20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #167 Museum Update & upcoming auction Posted by chuckcasey (2 years ago)

Post #467 Rvdv offer on pick up and shipment Posted by rvdv (2 years ago)

Post #858 auction links Posted by cait001 (2 years ago)

Post #1427 Auction lots being sold on which days Posted by oliviarium (2 years ago)

Post #1533 Video stream link Posted by NPO (2 years ago)

Post #2496 live auction stream on twitch Posted by InvaderHouse (2 years ago)

Post #2810 Article about the auction on nerdist Posted by Knxwledge (2 years ago)

Post #3696 Some lot numbers with prices. Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4227 Auction results Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4230 All Pinball Machine Auction Prices Posted by bobmathuse (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider knxwledge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

If you got yourself in this mess it seems like its lack of leadership/planning. No need to buy 2,200 games unless you got a couple years of storage in reserves. 1900 games would have been fine. First things first, pick someone to run your organization and give it confidence, then that will drive the fundraising.

I've gone to the museum about 3 times and talked with techs behind the scenes who keep the games running. Leadership and planning is not the owner's strong suit it seems. From lack of communication about when public events are taking place, to having techs supply parts out of pocket, to having pretty much *one* guy keep the entire arcade side going. Last I heard the tech I was talking to was telling me they were getting more games and this was about 3 months ago, when the real possibility of moving had to be on the owner's mind.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

As someone who has been tech-ing at MOP for 6 years, I can say there are a lot if un-truths in this statement....

Feel free to correct me. I tried to volunteer but scheduling on their part didn't work out. You would know better than I would.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I find it weird the number of posts and threads where people are essentially asking for money in a hobby where low-end games go for $2500 and there are posts asking six figures for rare games. SELL YOUR SHIT, people. Don't ask for handouts when you have easily liquidated assets that are nothing buy pure luxury items.

But that would be a realistic solution, and the museum owner(s) clearly wants to live in a fantasy land where someone with lots and lots of money or space will swoop in and save them. There have got to be duplicates of games on the museum floor in their storage (projects, parts machines, etc), I'm sure they could make a good chunk of change offloading just those. Then sell games that are worth a lot but relatively easy to purchase again (keep games like Big Bang Bar, sell games like TZ, for example).

We're being very critical but it's because we care, and we want this place to thrive. I love the museum, and went as often as I could when it was open. I'm not trying to just being a hater

1 week later
#119 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Still nothing listed on the Captain's Auction Warehouse site....

Auction is on August 7th which is about the 2 month mark. We will see what happens when the shit hits the fan... I'm very curious.

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well there ya go! Make it happen. Don't take too long though please time is short.

I'm surprised none of that has happened already, since it's a totally realistic solution to the problem and not just wishful thinking. Sounds like you actually have it figured out, thanks

#131 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Given this location and # of pieces - why wouldn't you try to bring the auction to you?
Certainly has enough product and name recognition to bring in buyers. Just hire the auction company to document, promote, and execute.

Captain's Auction does do that, Ive seen separate auctions that are held at other locations. Be on the lookout for something like that within a month or two

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Not published yet. Coming soon.

We've all been hoping for this not to happen.
But Alas, it has and auction will take place.
I have not heard numbers or quantity of sale, but i know it will be large.
I respect what the Week's family created and their decisions. As much as it sucks and saddens me, all good things come to an end.
We were lucky we had it in the first place for the time we did.
I Thank the Week's family for the good times we shared.

May I ask how you know for sure? Direct contact with them? Article?

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Thanks MrBally, you said it best.
I was reluctant to answer that question.
Been there since the beginning, have the red shirt.

I gotcha, I wasnt insinuating anything, I was just wondering if that was for sure or not.

Thats sad, partly because it has to happen in the first place, and partly because Im not in a position to buy any more projects for a while!

#148 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Sure sounds more and more like a manufactured failure vs making a huge effort to avoid it. Like, he reached a breaking point and just stopped trying. Now there is a clear dead end forcing everything to break up.

Quoted from vec-tor:

I don't see why the family just get some storage spaces...
They could open a smaller venue...

I'm sure there is more to it behind the scenes we don't know about, but I would agree with not needing modern games at the museum. You can go to a lot of different places like bars and arcades (what's left of them) to play the newest pin, but very few places have classics, and even a smaller number have the sheer volume of classics that the Museum of Pinball did

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

One of the main problems was the Banning city council would not allow John to open more than a few weekends a year.

So marijuana totally okay, but arcade and pinball machines bad? Weird

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

One of these things will likely make Banning a lot more money than the other.

That might be the case but you know what would have made them more money than they were? Letting the Museum of Pinball be open more frequently

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That arcade could be open 24/7/365 and it a noticeable dent in the money weed is gonna bring in.

Basically taxation is theft and fuck the government is the only logical conclusion

Another weird point I just realized, is that it was stated:

Quoted from chuckcasey:

The MOP has too many games to be on coin drop.

but in this article talking about the move to Palm Springs it said

Plans for the museum include 1,900 pinball machines and arcade games on display and full-time hours from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Sunday with 60 volunteers and staff,according to the proposal to the planning commission.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/2021/04/13/museum-pinball-banning-planning-move-palm-springs-desert-sun/7207069002/?fbclid=IwAR2VPMTYfdu3j9xh3Pd9adrm8k8DFQRDbuBBIZHw_7SEjb3ag5tK6cKuEXE
Soooooo what's the deal with that? Weird discrepancy

#177 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Won't it take just as long to auction all the games off, as it will to do any of the other solutions?

I think finding someone to actually help them with those solutions is the problem, not so much the time aspect. Who, honestly, is going to dump a bunch of money into a museum of games that the owner doesn't even work on himself? That was barely profitable?

#183 2 years ago

If anyone is curious about the organization's 501(c)3 status here's a tax filing from 2018 found on the IRS' website:
https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/463094935_201812_990PF_2019110716827730.pdf

Some interesting things I found (I'm not a tax expert so I could very well be interpreting these things wrong or not have the whole picture):
-Johnathan Weeks is listed as Secretary but worked an average of "1 00" hours per week? Does that mean 1 hour a week?
-If you look at the breakdown of their "Other Expenses Scheduled", they spent $0 on Electricity Expense?
-The board members spent $8,048 on "Travel, Conferences and Meetings"

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Sure looks like they setup MoP to be a shell to operate from... but not actually give anything to it. They basically have no assets.. but spend over $105k in delivery and maintenance costs. Guess all those game pieces didn't actually belong to the MoP - Mr Weeks just let the MoP play with them and probably pay for their upkeep.

So the dad is John P Weeks, and the son is Johnathan Weeks. IIRC, the collection was passed down from father to son at some point. They are both on the board of the MoP organization. It looks like they made $56,237 in 2018 if I'm parsing the information correctly (outlined in Part 27a- Excess of revenue over expenses and disbursements)

To your point about no assets, that's what it seems like, considering they have random stuff like TVs, a printer and benches listed in their depreciation schedule, but no mention of arcade or pinball machines in some kind of appreciation schedule (if that's even a thing? correct me if I'm wrong)

#187 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So sure hope no auction is labeled as selling off the charities stuff.

I definitely expect them to use the name of the Museum to generate interest/buzz/bidders, but they might write it in such a way that they describe it as the family's personal collection

#188 2 years ago

Um... no money to fund a move, huh?
https://www.instagram.com/misterweeks/

Gbds58C.jpgGbds58C.jpgPMkNpHp.jpgPMkNpHp.jpg

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Moving the collection is not the problem...

One of the chief concerns was the unexpected costs of the Palm Springs location, was it not?

#202 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's kind of a silly game of gotcha you are playing.
Nobody claimed they couldn't personally afford anything, or claimed to be driving a '77 Chevy Nova. Not sure what you are trying to prove here.
What kind of car they have or how much money they have isn't really relevant.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Thats storing or housing or whatever you want to call it, you said moving. Sorry but I just found your post to be in bad taste...just because they have money doesn't mean they can, should or want to do something.
Posting pics of Jonathan just to show if he has enough money to keep the collection is a crappy move...

If they came out and said they lost interest in keeping the museum going, or didnt want to spend the money that was required, then I wouldnt care, and wouldnt have posted that. But when one of the lead techs comes here and basically says "we need money or a place to move", that seemed to me a bit at odds with with them posing next to expensive cars and living in $1m houses.

It's regardless a bit of an F-you to the techs who paid out of pocket for parts, food, drink, etc for themselves and/or other techs. Clearly the Weeks are pretty flush with money, so they can and should have comped them considering how much of their time and specalized labor they donated to fix *their* collection.

With things not being properly declared on the tax forum, that makes things a lot more scummy IMO

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I , and many other techs, do not feel that way

In my opinion, you and many other techs have Stockholm Syndrome

#207 2 years ago

We can agree to disagree on the being comped part, but can *anyone* here defend or explain what looks like a potential tax shelter based off their filings?

Also I didnt get my money back for the canceled 2020 event until I made contact with a tech more than a year later, who contacted Jonathan. That whole ordeal took about a week. I was not contacted by the organization, and an attempt to contact them on the website "Contact Us" page led to nothing. Now that they are liquidating their non-declared assets, I can only hope they send out an email, and failing that, people remember to bug them about getting a refund

1 month later
#726 2 years ago

Most games there need at minimum a shop job and other minor work to get them 100%. Games vary wildly in condition, it may be a museum but they are not all "museum quality". I expect a good chunk of people being disappointed when they get their games shipped to them.

#771 2 years ago
Quoted from Time:

Excited to see what insane prices people pay but highly highly doubt I'll bid on anything. The biggest problem with the auction is you get 3 low rez photos and the only description says, "Evidence of wear and commercial operation." Wow big woop.
Are they letting people up-close to the games and look under the playfields on site? Will they be turned on?
Condition is everything. Top dollar is fine if it's the absolute best example. Which, having been to Banning, I cannot say is true for the majority of their machines. Some are actually in pretty poor shape but I didn't see any mention of this on the lot listings I viewed.

"Evidence of wear and commercial operation" is their generic copy-and-paste message. At their warehouse in Anaheim during COVID restrictions you had to make an appointment but you were allowed to walk around, test out and look at whatever you wanted before the auction. I dunno if they're letting people in for inspection, but I thought I heard it's both in-person and online

Edit: yes it is in-person and online

#774 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Anyone know if it costs money to just register to bid? Capt auction is asking for payment info to just create an account.

Check out the info, they require a $300 refundable deposit to bid. Seems like they wanna keep the riff raff out
https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/view-auctions/info/id/80

#846 2 years ago

I usually like watching Captains Auction even if I don't buy anything, but I'm clearing my schedule and pulling up a front-row seat for this shit just to watch the chaos
ezgif.com-gif-maker-43.gifezgif.com-gif-maker-43.gif

#975 2 years ago
Quoted from PinCheese:

Captain should upgrade his 56k connection

I think that would cut away from the Scrooge Mc Duck style money-pit him and John Weeks are gonna have after this auction though
download.gifdownload.gif

#995 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Any guess on Spanish Eyes? Surely not four digits... egad!

I'm gonna say $1500

#998 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Can we all agree this has been a pumped up scam from it's conception?

All fax no printer baby. Chris and John are (literally) laughing all the way to the bank

#1005 2 years ago

Spanish Eyes for $2700, this hobby has jumped the fucking shark
fonzie-jumping-the-shark-gif-6.giffonzie-jumping-the-shark-gif-6.gif

#1077 2 years ago

If Gottliebs are going for this much I can't wait to see the Bally/Williams

#1173 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

I mean, wasn't the museum itself a bullshit operation? This all seems soooooo fishy.

Buncha people contributed a lot of free labor for the purposes of it being an interactive museum... wonder how they feel seeing it inadvertently destroy the hobby

#1192 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

The auctioneer used a shitload of buzzwords...talking about "owning a piece of Americana".....instant FOMO for the uneducated.

People aren't THAT clueless that they would take the word of an auctioneer who directly profits from perceived value... are they?

#1199 2 years ago

The people who are clapping like seals are pissing me off

#1206 2 years ago

Now I see Close Encounters is not on despite the rest in the row being on. This could be the first true "project" game, I'm really curious to see the prices. If this goes for peanuts I think it's safe to say it's noobs who know nothing about pinball driving up the prices

#1207 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Let me remind you how many "educated people" here at Pinside are buying JJP games with multi-year PF defects and the fricking founder of the company telling us it is OUR fault the PFs are falling apart...and yet people keep buying.
Let me also remind you this is a hobby fulll of "veteran in-the-know" people with 5+ years posting on this forum that see "LE", "CE", "SLE" or "piece of a couch" and buy almost and in some cases sight unseen.....
Once you realize that, people outside of the hobby wanting to snag a game with FOMO doesn't seem THAT big a stretch.....

Same people who spend $1500 on a plastic topper... you're right

#1215 2 years ago

Ya caught me lol. I was hoping we would get to see a true project today

#1268 2 years ago

Are we allowed to talk about the vid auctions? $3400 Bagman doesn't fill me with much hope... not like I had much to begin with

#1272 2 years ago

"The cleanest Nibbler on the market today. There are no other Nibblers on the market today"
image_2021-09-10_195217.pngimage_2021-09-10_195217.png

#1273 2 years ago

Crazy that for the listing photos they didn't pull each game out. They could be completely waterlogged and falling apart and you would NEVER know

#1276 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

$1K for a Rock-Ola Warp-Warp. We smashed up four of them and threw them in the dumpster when they were only five months old. All were in great shape since nobody played them.
We tried to return them to the distributor but were told they had no value.
Lesson learned. We never paid for video games within 30 days again.

Stop it you're breaking my heart

#1277 2 years ago

PHEW $9900 for Sega Samurai

#1286 2 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

I don't know much about arcade games, but I guess Sega Samurai is pretty rare.
https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9414
Only 4 on that site have claimed own only the boards for the game.

The dedicated is extremely rare yeah, amazing cabinet design

#1287 2 years ago

Great 1000 Mile Rally 2 Hulk Edition with the green-ass green monitor for $1000

#1307 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Wonder how the pinsider that donated 200 pins several years ago fells right about now.

tenor.giftenor.gif

#1313 2 years ago

Nonworking Berzerk for $1700... wow

#1349 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Timber and Tapper are both originals.
Ive been inside both of the games at the museum, plus John had those long before the person you are referencing started making the repros.

Did the Blaster have a 19-in-1 in it?

#1351 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

If anyone's still eyeing that must-have game, but wants a detailed assessment, and maybe better pics, I'll hire myself out. $20 a game.
But let me know by morning if it's on the block tomorrow (Saturday) and leave your ph# so I can text you details. If there's something specific you're interested in, mention it. I'm not going to be going online during the action.
I'll do one public one for fun, if anyone wants to choose one.

Gotta pay for that expensive LA gas money you wasted getting there today somehow

#1356 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

This is definitely feeling like a boondoggle. Brain-storming for constructive things I can do!

I respect the hustle, but today's prices probably scared off most potential collectors from buying

#1362 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Yes. ...yes it did.

OUCH, I hope the buyer knew that... who am I kidding, the buyer probably doesn't even know what that means

#1363 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Day 1 Summary:
Big Cheese of the Day: Buyer of 11 machines for $40,000, mostly common Gottliebs
Mark of the Day: Buyer of Nightmare on Elm Street, $7,250
I didn't get fleeced too bad (Deal of the Day): Nitro Ground Shaker, $2,900 ?

Warp Warp for $1100 and Jump Bug for $1200 over on the vid side seems like pretty standard auction price. $900 for Exerion might be an okay deal, never heard of it.

#1438 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

he was so agonizingly slow yesterday I had to turn it off. So many times he would sit and just beg beg beg for another bid.
I wonder if that's just his style, or if he was trying to compensate for the potential tech issues and internet bids being delayed.

I watch Captain's pretty frequently and that's his style usually, except at the end of the night during his normal warehouse auctions where he will be a lot quicker. Can get some good deals if you wait until the end of the night usually, but not during this auction.

#1443 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Seems they haven't improved the streaming situation since yesterday, still dropping out regularly.

Why would they? It doesn't seem to be affecting their bottom line

#1562 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

So why are few bidding in the room?

Because it's fucking boiling hot and everything's overpriced?

#1584 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Talked to my friend on the floor, tensions are high.

#1586 2 years ago

Auctioneer: had some over heating issues on camera.. we will have to move forward by images until equipment is sorted.
Auctioneer: almost there... bounced the router
Auctioneer: we have camera back and software has been rebooted. Getting crew back in place
Auctioneer: i have your details
Auctioneer: rebooting software for video source
Auctioneer: restarting encode
Auctioneer: test... test
Auctioneer: hello
Auctioneer: yes we can
Auctioneer: we are still trying new browser
Auctioneer: trying to work out an alternative for better steam process
Auctioneer: Auction paused
Auctioneer: taking a short break to iron out stearming issue. One mpoment please and thank you.

I dunno what it does, but I sent my own message under the bid window and said something about hiring an IT guy since they made ~$70k last night. I think only they can see that, but they deleted it lol

#1591 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Damn if I was close enough I’d drive down and stream it on Twitch. This is silly

With your shitty cellphone connection? Wouldn't be any better I don't think. The connectivity down there is ass

#1593 2 years ago

I have 500’ and 1000’ cat 6 cable just for this. How did they not do this as a backup

Give em a break dude, it wasn't like they had a month plus to prepare and have been doing this for 20 years... oh wait

#1600 2 years ago

AND WE'RE BACK with bidder 1959 mysteriously making more appearances driving up the DL's price

#1613 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

OOOoooo all the games are museum quality. Famous words to start the next round.
LTG : )

where are you hearing this audio? I'm not getting anything on their website player

#1619 2 years ago

That's some Captain's Auction level IT advice lol. I did, it's not helping. I'll try switching browsers

Edit: Opera browser wasn't working, Firefox is working with video and sound

#1630 2 years ago

No fucking way bidder 1959 isn't John Weeks or a Captain's Employee lol

#1642 2 years ago

That Berzerk will be an "easy fix". Somehow I doubt that

#1644 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

How much for the 720°

I'm guessing $5k

#1647 2 years ago

"Great value, great deals right here" I nearly fell out of my chair

#1650 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I see a disc of Tron coming up - that will be interesting.

EDOT will probably go $13k

#1656 2 years ago
Quoted from Ripper:

What are the actual quality of pins at these 'museums' in the US? Are they well kept?

At this one, it's hit or miss, techs primarily focused on getting games playable. I've seen games clearcoated and nice, I've seen games worn down to the wood (like Stern Dracula)

#1661 2 years ago

I love how he's trying to get Gene to talk about some piece of shit conversion game no one's heard of (Dyger) because it didn't go over $1k

#1665 2 years ago
Quoted from Deluxodave:

I really wish he'd cut down on the inane chatter. Super annoying.

Yeah, like Gene wants to spend $1800 + taxes and fees on Thief when he can probably get 3 restored with all the parts he has

#1666 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

Dyger is not working. It was a half finished conversion. Only the marquee was wired up for power.

They said CC got it working though??

#1670 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

Not sure how. The power supply was not wired up for AC in. I checked it out 2 weeks ago.

Who knows, there was no video feed of its current condition. Probably lied out their ass

#1672 2 years ago

I am really loving these in-depth written descriptions. The Playchoice said "Nintendo". Like yeah bitch if you're not blind you can see it's Nintendo.

#1675 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

If the same one I'm thinking of, who won the Classics Division at INDISC a few years back (?), entirely legit, as is his biz.

Gene is an upstanding dude

#1679 2 years ago

Nonworking Joust: $2500
Working Joust: $5000

#1686 2 years ago

Oof if he has to explain what "Playing blind" means he must know he's catering to the completely clueless this auction. I've never heard him do that before

#1689 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

It doesn't mean this?[quoted image]

No it means this
post-14132-0-97872300-1398898887.jpgpost-14132-0-97872300-1398898887.jpg

#1697 2 years ago

Yesterday Nibbler: $2700
Today Nibbler: $3900

#1703 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Idk, they didn’t build that many of them. Pretty boring as far as pinball goes.

Video Joust not pin Joust lol

#1713 2 years ago

"Lots of working Pole Position PCBs on the market" LOL

#1748 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

A simple google search shows one for sale at Vintage Arcade Superstore for $3195. Centipede for $3095. Both went well over $5k with fees. Are these bidders not familiar with google?

Even those VAS prices are insane. FMV in collectors market is $1500 and $800 respectively but you'd think people would do SOME kind of Google search

#1767 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

I’ve never bought an arcade game. Is this what they normally go for?

Yes and I just happen to have some for sale. I'll even go 10% off the Captain's hammer price because I'm just that nice of a guy. For you- anything

#1996 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

we are finally going to see a $5K LW3!!!!!!! I've been waiting for this for years!!!
BOOM!!!!!! $5K LW3!!!!!!!
Jump that shark, baby!

We jumped the shark with the $2700 Spanish Eyes, I don't even know what to call this

#2018 2 years ago

Captain can't even believe this shit! "Wow, that's all I got to say... wow"

#2030 2 years ago

"Here's one you don't talk about too often" LOL

#2034 2 years ago
Quoted from FIREPOWER1980:

Anyone who volunteered at the museum to fix these games at no cost should get a piece of this pie.

What do you mean? This is all going to the """""""""""nonprofit""""""""""", which will totally be used for charity purposes

#2138 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

have you checked out their recent federal tax returns and reported assets.

Yeah from what I could gather it looked like they didn't declare the value of the games on the tax forums, but I'm no tax expert

#2207 2 years ago

Dave gave up being the hype-man LOL

#2211 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I'm getting in on Fire, hopefully it won't go too crazy

Sorry but they're going to hype it up because it's the Champagne edition. It's not going for under $6k

#2227 2 years ago

They've still got 125 lots left... you east coasters hanging through the whole thing? Will probably be another few hours at least

#2279 2 years ago
Quoted from trolldownstairs:

and..... I've had enough disappointment for one decade...

eca.pngeca.png

#2300 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Wow, are you the Oracle ?

No he bid $3500

#2314 2 years ago

East coast bros are saved!!!! They're only going to the end of the row tonight

#2362 2 years ago

Wonder if any of these game might end up at Goodwill Computer Works in Santa Ana.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Was this at Banning? The setting doesnt look familiar

#2461 2 years ago

Welp, time to grab my morning Monster and pull up a chair for day 3 of the bloodbath. I wonder if they'll be able to finish in the allotted time, or will they have to extend the auction a day or two?
dgbg.gifdgbg.gif

#2488 2 years ago

Can't wait for the Stern Dracula, that game was probably one of the roughest there. Probably doesn't matter lol

#2493 2 years ago

YIKES Stern Stars not working for $2600 so far I think the buyer is gonna be very unhappy. It was working in the listing photos

#2495 2 years ago

Wow that's like the 5th time he's started to say "SOLD" then he takes another bid. I would be pissed lol

#2526 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

He is busting his ass...how much sleep is he getting? 6 hours?

tenor (1).giftenor (1).gif

#2616 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Im in the mood to buy a game

I'll sell you my Totem for 10% off what the auction one goes for at hammer price (when it comes up)

#2621 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

If I was local, I think a lot of the arcade cabs had some decent deals. I just don't feel like paying handling/shipping that costs the same as the cabinet itself.
Most were inexpensive missing side art. Spend a few hundred bucks to get new side art and it would be pretty good.

You would think they're not bad prices but when you consider you literally have no idea what's going on inside them, and can't see the sides to inspect for damage... who knows if they're actually decent prices

#2624 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Working, but the ball won't kick out. Probably the coil. Right....

Just a fuse

#2639 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

Very true. But arcade games if you at least see the game running, assume the monitor has burn in, you're just looking at cabinet health at that point.
Then again, with things like MiSTer FPGA you're getting hardware emulated arcade cabinets. It's a lot easier to build a replica cabinet without authentic hardware and get the same experience.

For arcade cab collectors originality is HUGE (obviously). That Blaster that had a 19-in-1 in it was highway robbery, the buyer's gonna be pissed. Doesn't matter how accurate the reproduction boards are.

#2696 2 years ago

Is anyone there today? How is the atmosphere from the crowd?

#2700 2 years ago

"Anything you love about your Black Belt?"
"Well, it plays, it's working, it's in nice shape, it's got updated displays"
LOL they can't seem to sell this one

#2703 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

He said in real good shape but they were looking for a stuck ball and had to pull the glass back to fix it. Yeah, nobody wants this.

And Captain couldn't even say why he liked owning it

#2708 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I like how you shoot the ball in the guys nuts and he screams OWWWWWW!
Killer game! I’ll bid $4000.

Too late!!! It went for $3200 lol

#2712 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Live feed:
[quoted image]

The pot growers shoulda came out and handed out free samples, it would keep the crowd engaged and maybe make them wanna bid at these prices

#2716 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

all assuming it's in great condition?

Don't assume that

#2729 2 years ago

"This could be your only opportunity for a Twilight Zone to come along... right here!"

#2746 2 years ago

I have a Mars God of War which was one the Museum never had, that MUST mean it's extremely rare and worth $infinity right?

#2761 2 years ago

Lol it's a tossup on who gets the NBA Fastbreak topper!!

#2776 2 years ago

Ooooh Captain is mad one of his employees split the bid between $10k and $10.5k without his approval

#2780 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Ooooh Captain is mad one of his employees split the bid between $10k and $10.5k without his approval

He had to go beat that employee's ass before they could start bidding again. How DARE he make him $250 more

#2783 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

I was wondering how the bids go from a $100 up to only $500 a pop. Who choose that. I know at some auctions you just yell out what you want to pay for it, not really what the auctioneer is trying to get for the next bid?
Because bids going $500 increments, but why not let it just inch out at $100. But Captain had a big complaint about some game last night that went to $9000 with $100 bid increments.

I can understand not wanting to start at 100 increments, but if no one goes for a 500 increment and bidding slows down, why wouldn't he start doing 100 increments? Maybe he doesn't care and just needs to speed it up

#2789 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

True, they are behind schedule but they also go off on a tangent on a game trying to inch out a few hundred more on it because they likely don't like the price it's at. I'm wondering if they just have their own list of what they want games to go for, if it's above that try to end it soon but if it's not there give me the game's history in a 30 minute mini-series special.

I am really bummed I completely missed out on Super Auction. That shit sounds like the GOAT "blah blah blah SOLD", move onto the next one.

#2797 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

My first SuperAuctions here the local collectors were all buddies and let me win an Arkanoid for $80 since they knew I was trying to get started in the hobby. You think that shit would fly with all of the greed today?

LOL fuck no, I distinctly remember being a noob asking if I should buy some random $100 arcade game off CL and some asshole bought it, and told me he was "teaching me a lesson about the hobby". This was probably 5 years ago

#2804 2 years ago

I like how people are just absolutely defeated and have stopped posting the sold prices here. Day 1 actually gave me a migraine, Day 3 is better than any TV show or movie out right now

#2807 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

It IS entertaining!

Watching the hobby I love get absolutely demolished in front of my eyes is entertaining in the kind of sadistic, snuff film type of way

#2812 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

What???
People are buying games. They're overpaying, and don't care.
Doesn't affect anyone, or the hobby.

I hope you're right

#2815 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

It's been going on for as long as I can remember.

What is your definition of destroyed? If Hooks start going for $6k on the reg I would consider that destroyed

#2817 2 years ago

Any of the techs know the scoop on Viking's condition?

#2825 2 years ago

Future Spa had a broken drop target IIRC

#2831 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

If you were the seller in this auction would you feel the same pearl clutching "destroying my hobby!!" way?

I couldn't sleep at night if I were involved in selling in any way, shape or form

#2839 2 years ago

Viking at $4000 doesn't seem THAT unreasonable, but I don't remember the condition

#2855 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Sorry, but I'll ALSO be tremendously surprised if this event moves the popularity needle to any measurable degree.

Would totally be happy to be wrong!

#2859 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

How can a playboy sell for $9000 + fees

Tits

#2871 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

If thats the reason, then the sky is the limit with Dolly.

Dolly might play well with the foot fetishists as well, but it appears to be stuck at $4k

#2872 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Ok first one of mine is around the corner. What will Strikes and Spares go for? The redhead rules!

Might not be working

#2878 2 years ago

No power is better than some GI on a nonworking game? Why??

#2886 2 years ago

We're only about 20 machines past where we were supposed to be yesterday, and we're 5 hours in today

#2910 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I have the best of both worlds. Playing and watching the auction.[quoted image]

Don't hit the TV with a dart out of frustration!

#2914 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

Trying to bump up BMX. "It looks like E.T. because they're riding BMX bikes" I would agree if one of those guys had an alien in a milk crate attached to his handle bars.

That was probably the dumbest shit I've heard him say yet

#2919 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

That game is trash. Worst Gottlieb ever made. I can hook you up with like 12 of them. Total garbage. It’s a $500 game all day long

PM me

#2960 2 years ago

My theory appears to be holding true for Slick Chick at $7800

#3041 2 years ago

Woah hold on I just found something strange, if you filter by games that haven't sold yet, 3 games that apparently already sold are there (Spirit, Gold Cue, Medusa). Anyone know what happened with these?
https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/80/lot/19405
https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/80/lot/19497
https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/80/lot/19562

#3048 2 years ago

Vids are coming up, finally. Interested to see what the Universal games, Satan's Hollow, Venture Line games, and Crazy Taxi UR go for

#3150 2 years ago

Okay Im back from being ejected right as the vids started lol. Couple things I noticed.
-First game at $500 or below was a Moon Fighter that played blind.
-Holy shit $4000 for Pong Doubles
-Buyer 1660 is an absolute whale
-Crazy Climber for $6500
-Darius 3 monitor cab for $7600 to buyer 1660
-Normally you cant give away those big-ass projection monitor and/or sitdown games... wtf????

#3154 2 years ago

Think I remember them saying Gene Lewin bought the Pole Position cockpit for $1600. Excited(?) to see the oddball stuff in 2 weeks. I wonder what theyre gonna do with the storage areas that were full of games/projects?

#3156 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

They got two weeks to pull what's left in storage, shine up the junk, and add it to the list.
After this weekend's local buyers truck away their games.

How are they gonna sell parts?

#3160 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Mystery grab bags perhaps?
Comic book stores do it all the time .
Who knows.......

If all the noobs and whales with no concept of what things are worth bid on the games, maybe the parts will go cheap... or maybe the east coast guys who rented trucks will bid them up because they're pissed they didnt get any games lol

#3162 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

That is what I am fearing.

Hmm something I just realized though... if they rented trucks and drove out here, are they gonna risk waiting 2 weeks (paying for a hotel/Airbnb) for the next round? Sunk cost fallacy might come into play

#3167 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Ones might have connections here.
I guy does custom shows...
has friends that let him sleep on the couch in the area the shows are at...
cuts a lot of costs.

Still, jerking around for 2 weeks in the hopes that they can snag parts/games to justify a weekend + gas + truck rental + time getting there? Dunno, we will have to wait and see

#3240 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They do not let you bid on these auctions without already having your credit card info and signature.
The lucky buyers were charged as soon as they won their prize.
We’ve been told buyers have 5 days to pick up the game or have someone do it for them.

Nah nah nah, I've bought from Captain's about 5 times and they have your card on file, but will send you an invoice in a day or two after the auction. They don't automatically charge you. Usually they're chill about pickups being later than the 5 day window but I think it's gonna be different this time considering the circumstances.

#3241 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I remember the "Go Fund Me" that was used to get the MOP stated.
I think there should be a complete refund.

OOF got a link??

#3247 2 years ago

Here's an archived link just in case:
https://archive.md/zrmLQ

Look at the PDF Form 990s, they're very... interesting

#3250 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Care to elaborate?

Sure but if this thread goes to shit because of this don't blame me

-What exactly is the $340,000 from "contributions/grants/gifts"?
-I don't see where the value of the arcade machines and pins was declared
-$8k for travel expenses?
-Under "Other expenses scheduled", they apparently spent $0 on electricity?
-Johnathan Weeks is listed as Secretary working for '1 00' hours per week on average? Does that mean 1 hour a week?

#3254 2 years ago

Last Captain's Auction a Crazy Taxi went for $750. This time... $2800. Hope I don't have to sell a kidney to get one in the future

#3255 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Hmm… so what does this really mean? I see they reported having 29K in assets….is that supposed to be the games?

There's a section talking about asset degradation and they have random stuff like a printer, TVs, etc. listed. I think the $29k is stuff for the museum minus the games lol

#3297 2 years ago

Dunno if this one has been shared already but someone on KLOV made a spreadsheet which has lot hammer prices AND bidder numbers. Check out buyer 2248, 2959 and 1660 in particular
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XNGk1YWT9k_5M9RK2K3rWN5rG1RSrDdVSqnzyOHbIDw/edit#gid=0

#3300 2 years ago
Quoted from dsbw:

Yep, and clean and tight. I mean, you just gotta rebind the books and find the axles for the car! Easy fix! Not like all those other chumps who have to rebind their cars and find the axles for their books!

Pages are crisp, bind is tight! (as pages are falling out as they turn and they're trying to glue them in on camera)

I would love to meet buyer 1660 and inverview him

#3307 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

I saw a pin and thought "well that looks kind of cool" and I did at a lot of games to my watch list that I really never knew existed.

I went to Banning 3 or so times and it was great for those obscure titles you've never heard of or heard of but haven't played. It's probably why my wantlist is so long lol

#3338 2 years ago

A sign of posts to come in the future from new owners? An arcade tech on KLOV posted this after someone said they purchased that Metal Maniax proto sitdown arcade game:

That project never got properly taken care of. It is a lot rough for the dollar. I was able to clean it out. I don't recommend just turning it on. On the right side there was mouse/rat chewed wires.
The plastic are wood screwed in. While yes it a prototype. It was a giant freaken project that was dropped on us. I hope the bag of parts and labels are still in the machine. I recommend wearing gloves and a mask while dealing with this cab. I think with new power supplies and patching the right side might get one side running. Parts are missing from steering side. I think they are common but since I am flying blind on this prototype. I am not 100% sure. Just a best guess thing..

I am sorry that you bought this. I wish I could have given a heads up to klov members but that thread was trolled closed.
20210609_160728.jpg20210609_160728.jpg
20210609_160723.jpg20210609_160723.jpg

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/banning-museum-auction-captains.493930/page-44

#3416 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Whoops, thanks for correcting. In my head, every weekend is a pinball auction!

With the increased name recognition of Captain's as a place where people with more money than brains congregate, they might have to start doing auctions every weekend to keep up with an increased amount of consignment. I know I've thought about grabbing some arcade cabs off FB Marketplace and dropping them off right to Captain's

#3508 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

John is scheduled to speak at Expo, maybe he will say or someone can ask him.

Oh boy that's gonna be a shitshow

#3550 2 years ago

A friend of my dad's who has a couple games but isn't a very big collector, doesn't really know how to work on his own stuff, told me he bought the Barb Wire from the Museum auction. He's gonna hire me to work on it for him, he says it's working aside from a sluggish flipper and sling but I bet it needs a shop job. He also said he wanted to put a few color LEDs in it.

#3555 2 years ago
Quoted from justyn:

I don't know a lot of guys who wouldn't be
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"458ffaac537c6c43332e01bd683744e4fc214352-1632335816-1800"};
//]]>

Ignorance is bliss as they say. He got what he wanted and is happy. If he doesn't know that he overpaid then good for him. We don't need to burst his bubble.

I dont really get it, we had talked before about buying games and I remember him saying the prices at the regular Captain's were too much for him... something must of changed haha. It confuses me but Im not gonna press him about it

#3557 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

FWIW Barb Wire is insanely fun and fairly well built. He won’t regret it if he just wanted a fun good looking shooter.

Awesome, I think he wanted it more for the theme but thats great. It should have some good staying power in his collection. I will probably make a post about the work I do to it

#3685 2 years ago

The sold auctions are already deleted from the webpage. Hope they got saved somewhere

#3687 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

They were like that earlier before the auction started back up.
Once the auction went live it was fully populated, including the lots from the first weekend.

Got it. How much did Bugs Bunny sell for? Missed it

#3692 2 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

just go to the url and switch the "yes" at the end to "no"

Oh cool, thanks. I feel like Hackerman now
giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#3694 2 years ago
Quoted from valentin27:

No more online results ? Someone saved them ?

We literally just discussed this 2 posts ago

#3698 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Anyone else want to play? Could easily choose some others.

$150 Road Riot project is pretty damn good
$500 Hard Drivin' sitdown with a monitor collapse was a pretty good deal
$300 America's Army is also a pretty good deal, as mentioned by Karnov
$1100 Knockout seems like a pretty standard auction price, same with $1200 Sky Kings

#3728 2 years ago

Off-topic but is there a thread somewhere on how to fix monitor collapse? I had this happen on a game a friend wanted me to look at. We were just standing there and boom! Picture just slowly fuzzed out and then shrunk into a pinprick.
I have little experience with arcades and I tapped out when that happened

So when a monitor is collapsed like that it's a deflection problem. It's a good idea to do a recap but it likely won't fix a collapse. If it's displaying a horizontal line running from left to right, check the vertical output transistors, and maybe the IC. If it has other size problems it could be a horizontal output problem, which is tied into the B+ voltage. KLOV is great resource for arcade repairs

#3735 2 years ago

Thank you all so much! Very awesome that so many of you helped with an arcade question on a pinball website!
It was a Buck Hunter with a bad hard drive. In the middle of trying to get to the BIOS the screen collapsed to a pinprick.
I told them to just refund the purchase, because it was bought from an amusement company, but it scared the hell out of me and cemented why I do not (generally) work on arcade machines.

You should get an arcade cabinet cheap one time and tinker with it, they're fun to work on. If nothing else you can always find someone selling working boards to swap in. I find monitors pretty easy to work on usually, but PCB repair is always rough for me.

#3742 2 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Cyclone for $8,700. I've seen it all.

They really milked that one, but they just sold Panthera so quickly

#3753 2 years ago

$1700 Stellar Wars seems somewhat reasonable... was it not working? I missed it

#3757 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

not work, and neither was phoenix

I swear they were actually playing Phoenix but I musta been distracted by the clearcoated playfield and Dave talking about the developers lol

#3760 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

He's doing a good job at that. Evident in Star light for 10k.

Who is he exactly? Is he involved with the museum? I hope Captain is cutting him a nice check after this

#3767 2 years ago

$10,100 Sopranos

#3789 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

They were certainly different, they were interesting.
I believe there has been a Jolly Park, a Verne's World, (and one called Budo, as in martial arts) in the Pinball Land collection (in Santa Ana, CA.), though they were probably rotated in, rather than being part of the standing group. This is a private location that opens sporadically, but you can get on their mailing list to be notified as to when they are open. They also relocated to a new location, awhile back.

Is this the website for that?
https://gopinballland.wordpress.com/become-a-member/

#3799 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Calling all MOP techs:
Pin condition comments re Lots # 1024 through #1045 ? Any serious red flags that we should know about ?
(Not that the likely prices are going to be worth a bid anyway, but just in case . . . . )

I remember NGG having an issue with it spitting multiple balls out when it would start a game when I was there at the last event. Spent a lot of time playing that machine before it developed that issue.

#3886 2 years ago

$14,000 STTNG, and Demolition Man is the second best movie!

#3888 2 years ago

BSD is the best movie ever now!

#3895 2 years ago

Now... is he gonna call Flinstones (one of) the best movie ever????? I'll shit my pants if he does

#3899 2 years ago

Welp, the two 90s games I want to own one day, Whirlwind and NGG, which were already waaaay out of my price range at normal market value... $7200 for Whirlwind, I almost don't wanna watch what NGG goes for

#3902 2 years ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

I don’t know, people seem to be bidding for theme?

Appears to be the case considering STTNG went for $14k and Junk Yard is stuck at $5.5k

#3904 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

They should've put the Caddyshack translite in the NGG--instant 15k.

They did mention Caddyshack. Why is there a dollar bill on the glass of NGG? lol

#3907 2 years ago

$8200 NGG

Quoted from Vino:

When is this streaming live again?
Ready for some more laughs.

It's live right now

#3909 2 years ago

$7500 for SW Episode 1 including taxes and fees. You can buy a NIB one for $9k:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/121407

#3927 2 years ago

I love this audio static while they're on break, it sets the appropriate tone

#3976 2 years ago

Wait they don’t have a proper original Taito Space Invaders? Just the midway versions??
I’ve got a Taito, but everyone I’ve contacted to fix the boards have outright declined. They’ve stated they’re too old and not worth fixing

That's dumb, Im sure you could find someone on KLOV to repair it. Maybe try El Dorado games

#4029 2 years ago

Was that the one with the weak flippers?

They were saying it had weak flippers when they were selling it today

#4077 2 years ago

Maneater got bid up between buyer 1660 and 118, before eventually being bought by 1660 (no surprise) at $21,600

#4113 2 years ago

Nice summation of this entire ordeal. These buyers are bidding for theme/brand recognition

#4116 2 years ago
Quoted from haiderdj:

Congrats to whoever picked up Granny & the Gators.
That and the Transporter are the best grabs of the auction (value wise), IMO.

There was a $150 Road Riot arcade game which was a proto. Game and monitor worked but control panel was busted. I think that was the best deal IMO

#4119 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

And the final depressing march of stupid prices begins........
It's just such sad way for the MOP to end, it deserved better.

Was hardly a museum, it was really just a guy's personal collection he didn't work on himself that he let people play a few times a year. Feels entirely fitting to me

#4121 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

You still bitter because you were denied being able to volunteer as a tech because they didn't think you were a good fit there?

You should come back to KLOV, we miss you over there

#4126 2 years ago

Aw, okay. I guess your reputation here isn't ruined, so makes sense.

#4133 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

My reputation isn’t ruined on KLOV.
I left on my own accord because arguing with people like you is like getting into a fight with a mentally handicapped person.
Take your shit somewhere else.

You started it, buddy. Do you not remember this post you just made?

Quoted from Coindork:

You still bitter because you were denied being able to volunteer as a tech because they didn't think you were a good fit there?

#4137 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

How did you do in the auction?
I’m guessing you didn’t go view in person considering you are one of only a select few people that made a list to be denied access to the viewing.
I’m guessing you didn’t even know that.
I forget, what were you saying about reputation?
Anyhow, I’m done .

Ooooh nice, I didn't realize I was that special! All this shit's way overpriced anyway, I had no interest in bidding, only sitting on the sidelines with my popcorn watching it unfold and laughing about it.

#4139 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Cool, enjoy your popcorn.

Who else was blocked from bidding? I wanna let em know they made it into the exclusive club

#4153 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Ok kids, on behalf of everyone else here why don't you take this off line and just PM each other for awhile.

I'm done, officer. Won't happen again

#4165 2 years ago
Quoted from srt-8:

That Rat Race is so cool

$40,500 cool? Methinks not

#4225 2 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

I like Chris' comment after he left the screen...
"Oh man, oh man, oh man, that was something else."

If I ever buy a game from his normal auctions (which I doubt I will, I think this has driven those prices up at the very least), I wanna ask him about buyer 1660, and how he felt at the beginning of the Banning auction.

#4282 2 years ago

Worst buy? That wall of ballzzzzzzzzzzzzz for $20k
Best buy? That Road Riot proto for $150

Also

Winning Bidder is responsible to remove from the wall.

You spend $25k and you still have to remove the fucking thing from the wall yourself

#4286 2 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Pardon me, but TSPP went for 14K? How does that happen?

Two words: brand recognition
Same reason STTNG went for $14k, Rocky went for $10k

#4372 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Mourning and the 5 Stages of Grief and Loss:
denial
anger
bargaining
depression
acceptance
It’s different for everyone, but ultimates acceptance is the final stage.
Unfortunately many people get hung up in the second stage.

Who here is mad? Pointing out valid criticisms =/= mad

#4399 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is a strange take.
Pinball "techs" are almost universally underpaid and underappreciated. I hear of people going on service calls on non-working Flash games for 50 bucks an hour and I can't believe people subject themselves to that kind of exploitation.
I won't accept jobs anymore unless it's clear the potential client is willing to pay at least a couple hundred per visit regardless of how long it takes, and that a proper service call (or series of calls) will potentially total several times that amount.
Don't like it? Spend 20+ years learning how to work on pinball machines and acquiring the skills and tools necessary for this extremely specialized line of work and do it yourself.

This really sounds like first world problems to the absolute extreme. Complaining about $50 an hour? Cmon

#4401 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can tell you've never attempted a pinball service call.

Enlighten me, then. Why is $50 an hour akin to slavery, and why does that make it okay to underhandedly change what you charge based off the person's perceived wealth? I would think that if word ever got out that you were doing that, it wouldn't be a good look.

#4406 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Enlighten me: when did I use the word "slavery?"
Very nice try on the "when did you stop beating your wife?" gambit. Please find someone dumber to try to use it on.
I also don't care about "perceived wealth." If you are dumb enough to pay several times market rate on a game that needs work, you can expect to pay a tech fairly to bail you out. Not sure why someone in the pinball hobby would disagree with that.

I was being hyperbolic. Here, I will rephrase the question. Why is $50 an hour so exploitative? The market decides how much a service is worth, and if it's worth more than that then they can raise their rate. If it isn't worth more than that then they will have to deal with $50 an hour.
To your second point, it's not about being in the hobby, I don't think it's right to change your rates left, right and center to try to squeeze as much money out of people as you can. Maybe that's how other techs (pinball or not) do it, but I don't think it's right.

#4408 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Because it's about half the fair rate.
I have no idea what you do for a living, but cut that in half and then explain to me why that level of pay would be unfair.

Then why are they taking the jobs if it's half their rate?

#4411 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Because they are idiots who underestimate their own self-worth.
Shame on them!

Okay then you can't get mad at the market or the people looking to hire techs for that. When you said

Pinball "techs" are almost universally underpaid and underappreciated.

I took that to mean that you thought the market rate wasn't high enough based on the amount of labor/knowledge needed to provide the service. They should raise their rates if they can then!

#4417 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No, they're not going to cut their rates for you, ffs.

When did I say anything about having techs cut their rates?

2 weeks later
#4535 2 years ago

They couldnt even put the bumper cap on Rocky

image_2021-10-17_113531.pngimage_2021-10-17_113531.png

#4538 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

That’s pretty common with those style of pop bumper caps.
It’s just a poor design where they snap into place with a few plastic tabs and it’s very common for those to break or come loose.

True, but they could have at least put it in the slot over the bulb. Which games at this new round of Captain's are from the museum? Is this where the projects are getting auctioned off? Need to know which ones to avoid

Quoted from pinwiztom:

I just got an email notice from Capt's auction warehouse
stating that they were going to auction off more games from John Weeks private collection and the MOP collection.
Did they find more games or are these games that were auctioned off previously but never paid for?!?
It appears that this auction may be in Orange county?
https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/84
[quoted image]

This auction is at their warehouse in Anaheim, CA like their normal auctions.

#4582 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Done.
Happy Hummingbirds, Happy life.
My house is the Hummingbird party house.
[quoted image]

You shouldnt use the red mix stuff, they have trouble digesting the food dye. It can kill them. Make your own sugar water, it works just as well

#4584 2 years ago

Knxwledge too slow

We posted it at the same time, lets call it a draw. For the sake of the birds

Edit: nvm 3 min difference, on my phone they loaded at the exact same time. Guess you win lol

#4590 2 years ago

I spy a Museum game at Captains; Reactor
https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/84/lot/21233?url=%2Fm%2Fmy-items%2Fwatchlist

Here's what it sold for at the Banning auction
234 Reactor Gottlieb Arcade Game 1863 $ 4,700.00

#4600 2 years ago

Some games that ended up selling to 1863 and 1959 at the Museum auction are in this auction. Those were 2 absentee bidding at the start of every auction. Probably some accidental buybacks trying to set reserve prices

4 months later
#4708 2 years ago

https://www.gofundme.com/f/Please-help-me-save-the-games-stuck-in-Banning

Richie Knucklez posted a GoFundMe begging for money to transport his collection out of Banning. All of it reeks of emotional manipulation from a worthless community "figurehead" with a cult of personality. He shoulda sold 3 B-list titles at the Captains Auction and he would have had the money.

#4711 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Why doesn’t he ask John Weeks for the money? Didn’t he make a killing off the auction? But I agree, sell off some of those games to pay for shipping.
These gofundmes are getting out of hand. They were meant for people who had tragedies befall them in life who had no financial means to deal with them. Not so some guy with a bunch of pricey toys can keep them all.

Exactlyyyyy, fuck these people. Shit like this makes me hate this hobby

#4716 2 years ago

I really need to lower the bar of my moral scruples, there's so much money to be made manipulating man-childrens' sense of nostalgia

7 months later
#4745 1 year ago

I bought a Chicago Coin Big Hit pitch n bat for $300 kind of on a whim. I didn't look at it in person. It's a project, they were saying something about it being clearcoated? I didnt really understand what they meant. Looks like the bat, metal piece which hides the ball dispenser, and inserts are missing. Hoping they are inside the game. Backglass is shot but rest of the game looks pretty nice
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/lot-details/index/catalog/103/lot/26434?url=%2Fmy-items%2Fwon

#4747 1 year ago

They were obviously hoping for a Banning 2.0. This flyer says

LARGEST PRIVATE COLLECTION OF PINBALL MACHINES
TO BE SOLD AT AUCTION SINCE BANNING'S MUSEUM OF PINBALL CLOSURE!

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/AUCTION-Private-Collection-of-Pinball-Machines.html?soid=1116210963336&aid=KhoY7CLokB4

They posted a bunch of writeups for individual games and their history on their Facebook page, and posted several full walkthrough videos on their Youtube page, which they normally do not do.

Happy there were very reasonable prices. A lot of the EMs went head-scratchingly low. Slick Chick for $750, Im kicking myself for not bidding on it.

#4750 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Those super high dollar games all went to the same bidder number, 464, if my memory serves me correctly. They may have been buybacks, or just someone who only wanted the high end collector's items. There were some decent deals for people who really needed certain titles, but even better deals for those that are local and don't have to pay shipping.

Bidder 464 put absentee bids on pretty much every lot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider knxwledge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate?tu=knxwledge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.