20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #167 Museum Update & upcoming auction Posted by chuckcasey (2 years ago)

Post #467 Rvdv offer on pick up and shipment Posted by rvdv (2 years ago)

Post #858 auction links Posted by cait001 (2 years ago)

Post #1427 Auction lots being sold on which days Posted by oliviarium (2 years ago)

Post #1533 Video stream link Posted by NPO (2 years ago)

Post #2496 live auction stream on twitch Posted by InvaderHouse (2 years ago)

Post #2810 Article about the auction on nerdist Posted by Knxwledge (2 years ago)

Post #3696 Some lot numbers with prices. Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4227 Auction results Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4230 All Pinball Machine Auction Prices Posted by bobmathuse (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider karnov.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1060 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

WHERE did games come from that I never saw in all the visits to MOP ? ?
I missed their very first, opening event (Arcade Expo #1), and the final 3-day event, but was at all of the others, for the full weekend each time.

MOP has hundreds of games in storage. Mostly parts games, but some good ones they just lacked the room to put on the floor.

#1283 2 years ago

Sega Samurai the cab was cool looking to make up for the basic gameplay. And that cab has sound issues. But it's all analog sound.

#1284 2 years ago

I hope the Varkon goes cheap. That is the one game I want. I am hoping the monitor fire issue turns people off.

#1288 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Great 1000 Mile Rally 2 Hulk Edition with the green-ass green monitor for $1000

That monitor does get better, not sure what happened to it. But it is on the end of it's life with poor emissions.

#1399 2 years ago

To anyone thinking these are mint games. Unless they came to MOP that way, they are not. MOP had no full time staff. All volunteers. Nothing was restored. The goal was getting it back into playable condition and representing what an average game looked like at the time it would have been out for play.

If MOP had become something bigger, made money to cover hiring staff, maybe game restoration could have been a thing.

There was also about 20 pinball techs, and 4 arcade techs. With over 1600 games, we had to pick and choose what best to spend our time on.

#1554 2 years ago

akvgc Hello from the other side of the room.

#1558 2 years ago

There is a cable modem in the telecom room. I think there is fiber to the room too. Not sure what is active.

#1564 2 years ago

ForceFlow Except I have been in this telecom room here. About 3 weeks ago, I walked into the room and there was a new cable modem on the wall. I think they had fiber a few years ago.

#1566 2 years ago

There is one DL2 that has the original LD player, and one that runs off a Pi. The Cliff has a LD player in it, but it's starting to fail, so I tossed the Pi inside the cab. I think all others ran off the LD. We tried to keep them original if we could.

#1570 2 years ago

Found a better use for it.

768-1024 (resized).jpg768-1024 (resized).jpg
#1571 2 years ago

Nothing going on. Everyone just sitting around as Chris and other blankly look at screens.

#1580 2 years ago

Lets start our own bidding. Lets start at $100 for this one of a kind racing game. And the Internet bids have it for 10k.

1024-768 (resized).jpg1024-768 (resized).jpg
#1595 2 years ago

I see the Spectrum essid here in the auction room. Not a good signal. The building wifi seems to be down, but it's been down for years. I am sure hoping Cap ran a network cable direct.

#1611 2 years ago

Museum of ancient history maybe.

#1631 2 years ago

Sega's Holloseum was not a laserdisc game. It was a conversion from Time Traveler. You removed the LD player.

#1633 2 years ago

Knxwledge John is in the audience right in front of me and is not bidding himself.

#1645 2 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Hollo

Not sure why anyone would convert it to that horrible game.

Because LD style games where going out of style, and Street Fighter was making bank then.

#1651 2 years ago

I put a crap of work in that EDOT to get it working right.

#1658 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

At this one, it's hit or miss, techs primarily focused on getting games playable. I've seen games clearcoated and nice, I've seen games worn down to the wood (like Stern Dracula)

Ya, we figured it would be better to have many playable games, then a few fully restored games.

#1664 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

I love how he's trying to get Gene to talk about some piece of shit conversion game no one's heard of (Dyger) because it didn't go over $1k

Dyger is not working. It was a half finished conversion. Only the marquee was wired up for power.

#1667 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

They said CC got it working though??

Not sure how. The power supply was not wired up for AC in. I checked it out 2 weeks ago.

#1677 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

It's possible it was worked on within the last few days.
John had some people in there right before the auction because he wants as much working as possible for the auction.

Since I was the lead tech on the arcade side (if you see any notes on the games, most are mine), I was here before the auction and did not work on that game. None of the other techs worked on it too. I did not see anyone else working on games, and no signs they did.

#1694 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

I have beat DL2. It was setup much better and more intuitive if you had to "guess" on a part. DL1 was much more randomized, reversed, and not obvious sometimes. I still like DL1 better.

I updated the ROMs on the DL1 to the latest enhanced versions. It was much better to play then.

#1757 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The huge gyroscope looking thing you ride in ? If so, agreed.
LTG : )

John bought one. It was on the way to MOP, but was routed to Captain for sale since MOP will be no more.

#1825 2 years ago
Quoted from jay:

Anyone know when the Polybius comes up? I didn't see any of the MOP basement games in the catalog.

None of the parts or games in storage are in this auction.

#1981 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Hard to troll when your charge card is on file to bid.
Like it or not, this is real.

Just talked to the owner. He said he went all out on the marketing for this. Apparently also on the today show.

#2042 2 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Bravo to his marketing skills... cause we clearly can see it worked!!!!
Sad for me that I am not gonna try to bid on a single item.

Same for me. All the techs where hoping we could pick something up.

#2084 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Clearly Week made the right move liquidating this now. Apart from bettering the hobby and selflessly keeping it as a museum, why the f*ck wouldn’t he? Don’t know how the charity thing works over there…did he still own all the assets, not the charity?

He has other non-profits in the works. One involves 3rd world counties. A bunch of this money is going to that.

#2103 2 years ago

It went for how much?

1024-768 (1) (resized).jpg1024-768 (1) (resized).jpg
#3113 2 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Don't have that, but had an 8-player Derby Club in a pile

Wish we had room to set that up. If PalmSprings worked out, that would have been killer.

#3119 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:This boxing get sucks but Konami also made a virtual cop kind of game with that cab that was really cool

That game is beat up, but fully works. I rebuilt the gloves last year.

There is the cop version in storage.

#3128 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

NOOOO! I shoulda bought it
Probably on its way to Dubai right after the stream ends.

That Top Skater TV was at the end of it's life. I rejuvenated the projector tubes, and that is the best I could get it. Far better then it was tho.

#3130 2 years ago

Air Combat has a really nice screen, but I had to tell Chris how to turn it on. Good thing he watches the chat.

#3132 2 years ago

Wow, how do you do that? I know zero about them.

It's CRT tube projector. Just like rejuvenating an arcade CRT. Just 3 of them.

#3134 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

I should have said how much I was willing to bid on it, I really wouldn't have minded if someone wanted to pay more money than me. It's more just super teenage nostalgia and blasting Pennywise. I feel you would need to get that Crazy Taxi stand up to go with it and blast the Pennywise/Offspring.

How big is that monitor too? Seems big as hell and way beyond those 27/29" anyway. Granted, I did RGB mod my 32" Trinitron in my basement, so I could have just ghetto rigged something for it likely.
Oh well.

What was the tube in that? Rear project or was it a honkin' CRT? I'd just assume finding a replacement monitor for that is next to impossible or pricy itself?

Rear projection with CRT tubes. The tech is before DLP. Replacement don't exist at all.

#3139 2 years ago

Someone got a deal on that G-Loc. It was fully restored and repainted. I recapped the monitor and rebuilt the motor controllers.

#3144 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

That really did look super clean and running well. Was this info something that was easily known? Because stuff like that would be amazing in the descriptions to know. No that I'd buy a G-loc, but seems someone knowing it's basically as fresh as you can get.

No. They don't list any details like that. Nobody asked and they didn't seem to read the "work order" attached to the games listing what work was done and what still needed to be done.

#3179 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

Been fun, pretty much spent my whole weekend watching this. Was interesting to see the insanity, hopefully there's some deals in 2 weeks? See you all then!

Yeah having something like that or even a photo (that you can read) would have been amazing. Were you working on just arcade/pins or were you doing basically everything including stuff like jukeboxes too?

Just Arcades.

#3216 2 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

couldnt agree with you more...
to add to that all of the volunteers that did endless amounts of work for free... for the good of the community... sorry but this is bullshit

This being bullshit is not a common belief of all the volunteers. John did his best to make the MOP work. There is a massive amount of expenses in getting the current building ready, including buying the building. He did not get a deal on every arcade and pin, in fact, he overpaid on many because he wanted that rare one for the collection. He fought for this. It was his dream and he lost money on the project every step of the way. At some point he had to stop the bleeding.

All the volunteers know this. And we don't all agree on every choice John made, we appreciate the opportunity and the ability to have our own version of Disney Land, at least for a few years.

The money for this is going to a bigger charity project John is working on. I don't know if he has said anything public, or if he wants to, but he is re-shuffling his businesses around to better support a good cause.

#3260 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Hmm… so what does this really mean? I see they reported having 29K in assets….is that supposed to be the games? I also see about 219K in expenses…..is this money the museum spent to purchase games? If they are spending 100K a year buying games shouldn’t their assets be going up accordingly each year? If someone can explain what this means if anything that would be nice. If I interpret the 29K in assets as the games then the government is gonna want to know how you generate a few million dollars with 29K worth of assets. I would imagine the insurance (if they had any) was for more than 29K of assets. I have no idea what I am looking at or how non profits operate so not implying anything but asking for clarification on what this means if anything. There may very well be explanations for all of it. Need an expert on non profits and taxes to expand on this.

Just FYI. Many museums collections have items that are not owned by the museum. Aka, a painting will still be owned by the painter, but is displayed in a museum. I can't say where I have seen it done before, but I seem to recall being in several smaller museums where the entire collection is mostly the owners. So I can see Johns collection still being owned by him, but the building itself is run by a non-profit. How that works from a tax perspective, I don't know.

I can see, but I have no proof of, someone donating a game to the museum, but I can't recall any time John told me a game was donated for free. But I have been told many time by John about a rare game he bought from guy across the US and he was driving several days to go pick it up.

John has been collecting games since he was an operator 30 years ago and had a collection of games well before MOP. So the building was not filled with free donated games.

#3264 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This thread is becoming somewhat comical. I get it, the high prices are noodle bending, and it's warping your brain. But do you call up everyone you've sold a game to in the past demanding a cut of any profits they've made selling it later with higher prices?
Or the people who didn't volunteer getting mad on the behalf of the people who did. I'm mad a lot these days, so I appreciate the offer of being proxy angry on my behalf to save the effort, but I regret none of the time I spent there. It was a lark. We weren't grinding in the salt mines, we were playing under the hood of a huge toy store. I never did more than rebuild some flippers, sort parts, and shoot the shit with other volunteers, but it was a good time. Only part that sucked was the damn drive out there.
The whole thing wasn't a scam. It was a grand attempt, and it will forever be a part of some of my best pinball memories. Maybe it was destined to fail, maybe it was bad luck, who knows. For a few years we had something pretty cool, and if you didn't volunteer and get to wander about one day without the crowds poking your head in anything that struck your fancy you missed out imo.
The museum failed, I honestly don't know what else John was supposed to do. The prices don't make me happy, but I'm still happy for John.

This right here.

I live close by, so when I joined the volunteer group after Expo 3, they soon got me keys to the building. It was my Disney Land, so I was there every Saturday (with rare exception) fixing games along with any other arcade techs that could make it. For years, every Saturday I would show up and see what new arcade game showed up and worked on getting it playable. Even when Covid hit, I was there, only alone this time (but I would stream on Twitch). When it rained, I would stop by and place pans where the roof leaked and moved games out from under leaks. I have more hours in that building then Chuck or any other tech.

When we got word it was being sold, we doubled down in getting as many games ready for sale as we could, both as a thanks to John, and to give the games the best chance in going to a good home.

I leave only with good memories.

I should also point out I pulled all my resources together and had a meeting with John and everyone I knew that could help and went over any last ditch ideas to save the MOP. John was still open to calling off the auction and making something work. But California is not business friendly and getting worse, and we could not find a solution.

#3277 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

It’s not to me, you, or many others. But it is worth $12K to whoever bought it. That’s a lot of Meow Meow Meow!!!
And that’s the million dollar question…who are the buyers? So a couple pinsiders have bought stuff but most people here are not gonna overpay by that much. It’s time to accept there is a MUCH larger number of people not active in arcade/pin forums that are buying games. Some of these games are pretty rare and if they don’t end up in a public location then it will be private collectors and there’s a chance still for people to see them. Collectors run in circles and network so it’s very possible we will know where some of these games end up.

And it's sort of a good thing they are going to collectors at high prices. I am hoping they will value them and treat them well. I was really afraid a lot of games where going to go dirt cheap, as in dumpster waste due to so many being sold. I had a lot of low ball bids on games just to save them.

At the auction, we talked to a non-collector, but a fan of a game he played as a kid in the 1970s. Very rare game. He had one at home, but it didn't work, so he was looking to spend mega bucks on the one here for a parts game. We hooked him up on someone who could fix his and he didn't blink an eye on spending the maybe $500 to repair a game that will now sell for $5,000+.

When we lined up dates, locations, and operators, there is a very good chance that the game he played in the 1970s, is the very same game that is at MOP. I could see him spending the auction price for his childhood game.

#3281 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Thank you for your interesting post.
I was wondering, if someone had walked into one of those last planning meetings and said “I’ll just write you a check for 3 million dollars right now and take the whole thing off your hands!”, do you think he would have gone for it?
You know, in case I invent a time machine…

Take what exactly? The games are worth more then 3 million as we are finding out. The building and the land is worth money too. So not for that price.
Since growing weed is legal now and the building is now zoned for it, growers are paying a lot of money a month to lease warehouses.

#3284 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Did the museum ever have a Stern Cheetah? They had quite an assortment of Sterns from that era, but wondering if one exists in storage since I didn't see that title up for auction.

Unknown. The problem with a collection that has been growing since the 1980s, is there is no full inventory. So maybe in storage if it's not listed for sale.

#3313 2 years ago

We always took the term "Museum" to be an example from the time frame. Like a 2 thousand year old pot from Egypt. It's displayed as it existed in the time period. Not restored with modern materials to look brand now. We got a lot of flack for having poor conversion games. But that is what a game looks like when it hits the end of it's useful life and the next stop is the dumpster, or Deer Hunter. This was the life cycle of many, many games.
Now if we had a better example of a game we could display in storage, we would display it. But we didn't reject a well used game as that is what many of us played in the back rooms of the mall. That is the experience we got.

This is also why we never put an LCD or a 19 in 1 in anything. If we had the time, and the CRT to do it, we would pull the LCD out. The exception would be a Pi replacing a LaserDisc player, because the game did need to be playable. (I think we had 1 to 2 in some games, the rest we keep the LD player going if we could.)

Sadly, the pubic seems to think that museum is the same as mint. I am not sure I can come up with a better word to describe what the MOP is then museum. Collection of Pinball does not have the same ring.

#3314 2 years ago

Stopped by MOP on the way home to put some spare parts with the games. This is completely unofficial, but word is there will be an additional auction for the several hundred of games in storage and parts. Subject to change at any time, but keep an eye out. They have to go someplace.

#3315 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

We always took the term "Museum" to be an example from the time frame. Like a 2 thousand year old pot from Egypt. It's displayed as it existed in the time period. Not restored with modern materials to look brand now. We got a lot of flack for having poor conversion games. But that is what a game looks like when it hits the end of it's useful life and the next stop is the dumpster, or Deer Hunter. This was the life cycle of many, many games.
Now if we had a better example of a game we could display in storage, we would display it. But we didn't reject a well used game as that is what many of us played in the back rooms of the mall. That is the experience we got. This is also why we never put an LCD in anything. If anything, we pulled the LCD out.

Sadly, the pubic seems to think that museum is the same as mint. I am not sure I can come up with a better word to describe what the MOP is then museum. Collection of Pinball does not have the same ring.

#3349 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I suspect we're going to hear a few stories like that. And more that won't make it to pinside.

Even with the mouse nest, I still think someone got a deal on Metal Maniax assuming they are up to the challenge or repairing it. We never turned it on as it came right at the end and we did not want to start any new projects.

Only other game like this is Computer Space 2 player. It needs someone with a time and money to go completely though it and give it the attention it needs. We never got to it.

#3395 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

And this is the frustrating thing about Pinside now...all these people bitching about the prices and "I'm out" don't really understand what is happening. There are a lot of people with a shit ton of $ out there, otherwise these LE's wouldn't sell out and Banning would not have happened.

Unless there is somehow scalpers for the LEs. But this is the fault of the manufactures, creating the madness by limiting the numbers when they don't have to. Say what you want about Banning, but driving up the price of new Pinballs just because they can, and keeping them out of the hands of unlucky collectors, is worse in my book.

#3464 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I think it's a double edged sword - we wouldn't have such great companies remaking playfields and backglasses, and continuing to supply pinball parts, had the hobby stayed a quiet obscure thing. Of course, if nobody can afford to buy a few pins.....meh

I have been reproducing a few hard to find PCBs. With the prices the collectors pay now, I can make a few extra and sell them on ebay for enough to cover my cost and time.

#3467 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Sad.
I think I will forever think of any pinball machine as to where it was located in the museum. For example:
Early Stern is back row center, left side across from the Gotlieb SS pins which chronologically ends with Barb Wire.
System 11 is center row just past the gap, left side.
WPC 95 is center row North, Williams on the left (starting with MM), Bally on the right (starting at CC). Then followed by WPC S and WPC 89 pins in production date order heading South ending in T2 (Williams side).
Etc etc. They're burned into my brain that way.

I took a video walk around before they starting moving things around for sale. I collecting what I can and will put it up on archive.org. If anyone has anything (picture, video, etc), and would like it archives forever, please PM me.

#3469 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

I took this quick video right after the doors opened on Friday for INDISC 2019

Grabbed. Thanks.

#3471 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Check out The Brotherhood of pinball, channel on YouTube, there is a good walkthrough of arcade expo 4.0.
And the other vids are fun too.

I will grab them.

1 week later
#3599 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

no monitor boards......1200? stupid sale prices seem to continue

I told CC about this being a parts unit. I am unsure if it even has the game PCBs in it.

#3604 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

What did you think of the price?

Assuming it has the game PCBs in it, I think it's fair for a project. You will need to convert it to LCD as the monitor chassis can not be found.

#3605 2 years ago

Someone got a deal on America's Army. That monitor is good. Not sure why it's off.

#3607 2 years ago

That game is all original too. I think we replaced a fuse. No other repairs looks to have been done to it.

#3727 2 years ago

Last minute fixes.

1024-768-2 (resized).jpg1024-768-2 (resized).jpg
#3776 2 years ago

Dear future Midway Gun Fight owner, you may want to replace this as it's shorted. Game still works.

768-1024-3 (resized).jpg768-1024-3 (resized).jpg
#3814 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Thank you
I’m planning to buy it
Anything else wrong ?

Nothing that I noticed. It has a switch mode power supply inside with the correct harness adapter so no major cutup wires. I think it's in good shape.

768-10245 (resized).jpg768-10245 (resized).jpg
#3848 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Anyone know how many people are present at the actual auction? Curious if it's less people than two weeks ago.

About 40 people.

#3876 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I'm glad they are disclosing at least SOME of the issues. If there's any significant problem requiring repairs, I'm definitely NOT interested, particularly at these prices.

They don't really spend any amount of time checking them over. If it coins up, it's sold as working.

#3893 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Someone calling out their bids on the floor sounds like he's on a cattle drive.

index (resized).jpegindex (resized).jpeg
#3910 2 years ago
Quoted from kingpinman:

Any Mop techs out there that can give me more info on the midway chopper. Is it complete, Working, Issues.
Thanks in advance

We never worked on it to get it working as far as I know. It looks complete, with the back image plastic sheet broken in a corner. PM me if you want pics.

#3926 2 years ago

FYI. Lot 1168 Break Out has a hacked up TV in it. Realistically, the picture looks fine and it will likely work great for many years, but if you are expecting an arcade monitor, nope.

#3944 2 years ago

Hay, we are selling a game. Maybe we should unwrap it and plug it in.

#3965 2 years ago

Wait they don’t have a proper original Taito Space Invaders? Just the midway versions??
I’ve got a Taito, but everyone I’ve contacted to fix the boards have outright declined. They’ve stated they’re too old and not worth fixing

That might be the reason we don't have it. But we fixed PCBs far older then that. Fixed one today from 1974.

#3971 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

He's on staff, he's watching the internet for online bids and calling them out. He gets creative once in a while to keep it interesting I guess.
On calling bids, I found it weird that they have spotters on the floor, that call out for the floor bidders who indicate silently. I think bidders should voice their bids. This routine kind of discourages it.

The spotters are also there to encourage the bidder to up their bid. They can really put down the pressure on big item auctions. There is about 15 people in the room right now, so not a lot for the spotter to do.

#3974 2 years ago

Are you and the other museum techs available? I’ve got some boards that need repair

Most of us are on here or KLOV. Best to search and find someone who specializes in the type of PCB you need repaired.

#3985 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Man... I wish I had the space and 3-phase power for that FX Simulation unit. Whoever buys that and can put it to good use is getting an incredible deal on a legit thrill ride.

Sold for 14k. The pump motor is 240v 3 phase, but it's all standard industrial parts. So it can be swapped out. Everything else is 120v. We have talked to the manufacture. I think it's just a few guys making and supporting them.

#3989 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Not running. Nutting.[quoted image]

That is a "barn find" game and includes mouse nest. We never powered it on due to it really needing a professional restore so no damage is done.

#3994 2 years ago

Why pong, why. Can nobody find this game any other place? Was like 5 of them made?

#3996 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You have 440AC and a lot of space ?
Huge things often don't go for much.
Years ago a big Sega game, looked like a gyroscope you rode in. Went for $500 at a local arcade auction. Not many people or places have an area about 25 feet by 25 feet for the fence around it to protect bystanders. And a big game like that you almost need an attendant on duty by it.

That Sega game is an R360. John bought one for the MOP, but the MOP shutdown before it was delivered. Chris has it to auction off.

#4000 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Is it possible to get it working? There can’t be more than a handful of two player computer space machines left. If it can be fixed, $10k isn’t so bad. If not, that’s an expensive paperweight.
Pong over $20k? Wtf

Unknown. It's complete, just needs a lot of labor to restore.

#4072 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

As I remember they used TVs not monitors.

If i recall right, the TV has some custom wiring making a TV conversion not easy.. And the flybacks are all falling apart with age.

#4103 2 years ago

That NES in a custom Zelda cabinet cracked me up. Who came up with it? I’ve got half a dozen NES consoles, how hard is it to just make one? I assume you just wire the buttons as they are in the NES controller harness

It was a fan made one. Custom artwork and cabinet. Completely mint. The creator was not good with electronics so it's just an NES inside.

#4105 2 years ago

Someone got a deal on the Fix it Felix. 10.5k

#4107 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

It was a fan made one. Custom artwork and cabinet. Completely mint. The creator was not good with electronics so it's just an NES inside.

https://primetimeamusements.com/take-look-custom-made-zelda-arcade-cabinet/

#4110 2 years ago

Is it really that rare? His whole thing about “made by Disney” confused me. I don’t know anything about Fix It Felix.

Disney made about 50 cabinets for their resorts and parks for the release of the movie. Completely new, but aged and weathered to look like a 1980s game with heavy wear. They have new CRT monitors along with HP (Enterprise) computers inside. Never made to be sold to the public, some have "fell off the truck" and are in private hands.

#4198 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

Lunar Lander Atari = $4,000

So if the one you got was the last one that was cutting in and out, it needs some new chip sockets. I was in the game pressing on the PCB making it work and screaming "sell it quick".

#4334 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

For all the volunteers and people who donated parts and games and your time to a good cause, I keep hearing you sing the praises of Mr. Weeks and the museum. But I haven’t heard from any of you if he has shown his gratitude for your sacrifices.. When you were all fixing his games for free, did he at least buy you pizza and beer? After he gave up on the museum, did he at the minimum thank you guys or hold a party? I hope so.
I just know that if I were in his shoes, after this incredible windfall, I would at least make a donation to the Human Fund in your name.

Yep. He provided food for the tech events. We even had a open to all techs, friends, and family, day a few years ago. We didn't have a going away event, but I believe that was more do to other factors he could not control (insurance and permits) and scheduling issues.

Just to sum up about what I stated many pages ago, with all the cost associated with running the place for 7 years, and all cross countries trips John made tracking down games, I do not think he is making a "windfall". I have not seen his books at all, but I and many others close to him, fell he is around breaking even on this dream of his.

#4431 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Had a satellite tv repairs job that will likely entail replacing some (external) parts. Called what is supposed to be the best outfit for this in town. Was told, "We don't do estimates." and "Best we can say is less than $10,000." (Not sure whether that was meant as a joke.) I don't recall EVER not being able to obtain an estimate -- from any service provider, for ANY sort of work. Understanding that under real-world circumstances, it might not be etched in stone. What would you reply in this situation ? (Well, if printable and civil, that is.)

In a previous life, I used to do professional wrenching on powersports for a living. I would always get people calling in saying "I was riding it, and it quit running, how much is it going to be to fix it". After many of of these calls, I my answer became "between $100 (our diagnostic fee), and $8k (a new motor cost)". Nothing worse then giving an (rough) estimate over the phone and the real problem is not a plugged fuel filter, but a piston exiting the block. The customer will do everything to hold you to the fuel filter estimate price.

#4483 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

For the record, I think I captured the twitch feeds for the whole shebang. I had in mind some interest in being able to access Dave's historical perspective narration, later on. (Of course, that will leave you stuck also with the auctioneer's sometimes fatuous hyperbole. Sorry, Chris: results wise I'm sure you did a fine job, and it was a Herculean task. I'm extremely impressed with your stamina.) But the video files (720P or better) go from sizes of over 5GB to over 12GB. (Video with sound takes up a lot of space.) And of course, it would take you hours equal to the real time events to view it all, though you can fast fwd. knowing the Lot #s.
It would be quite a chore that I can't get to right away, but I could upload it to a free hosting service, in multiple 2GB pieces (so it would help a lot if you happened to be conversant with re-constituting RAR archives on the computer), but this free file hosting service only has a 7 day retention period.
Oh, I don't know if the event, the descriptions etc. might be under any sort of copyright ? In that event, I'd need some official clearance to proceed. Also to know that there was enough interest here for people obtaining this material. For the record, I suspect that that Twitch stuff is still findable online, so anyone with some simple video downloader software tool could just as easily still go and grab it. I could offer some instructions for that.

I am grabbing the twitch stuff too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider karnov.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate?tu=karnov and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.