20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #167 Museum Update & upcoming auction Posted by chuckcasey (2 years ago)

Post #467 Rvdv offer on pick up and shipment Posted by rvdv (2 years ago)

Post #858 auction links Posted by cait001 (2 years ago)

Post #1427 Auction lots being sold on which days Posted by oliviarium (2 years ago)

Post #1533 Video stream link Posted by NPO (2 years ago)

Post #2496 live auction stream on twitch Posted by InvaderHouse (2 years ago)

Post #2810 Article about the auction on nerdist Posted by Knxwledge (2 years ago)

Post #3696 Some lot numbers with prices. Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4227 Auction results Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4230 All Pinball Machine Auction Prices Posted by bobmathuse (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1096 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I always enjoyed playing BH & HH on my visits to MOP. But there was NEVER any line to play them that I ever noticed. And didn't that System 80 require a bunch of mods to render it fairly stable ? (On BH, in particular.)

Standard grounding mods, upkicker mod (for kicking the ball up to the main playfield), motor mod (for the backglass animation), and a lamp voltage conversion for some high voltage lamps to bring them down to standard #44/47.

It's not as bad as it sounds.

#1115 2 years ago

I guess I shouldn't bother trying to sell games at shows and just ship them out to captain's auction. Good grief.

Even with shipping costs and commission, I'd still be making money.

#1429 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I own a Vulcan in pretty good shape. Paid less than $1,000 and wouldn’t dream of getting anything over $1200 and even that seems greedy on my end. It’s a well balanced game for the era still plan to keep it. Based on condition and auction prices it’s already worth more than what I once paid for a CV.

[edit]: Oops, misread that are varkon.

#1433 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Wonder why? I mean it’s a neat game but nothing special or rare about it?

My mistake...I misread that as varkon

#1520 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

At what point is it considered just flat out lying about these games? "Probably an easy fix" "super rare title here" "fantastic shape"
People are getting taken..

Meh, typical auction hype you hear at most junk auctions to build excitement.

#1527 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

I talked to a friend that is there now, captains has kicked off all non bidders from the website, and no Facebook or Twitch, and the feed is still crashing.
Yikes.

The rebroadcasts from those services are unlikely to be the problem.

I would guess that the problem is probably the transmission of master feed on their end to the server(s)/service(s).

Quoted from museumofpinball:

For this event we brought in T1.

Uh oh....I really hope it's not actually a T1. A T1 is only 1.54Mbps. You basically need 5Mbps minimum to stream in HD.

#1537 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

So what is the desirable standard called, these days ? T2, T3 . . . ?

T1 and T3 lines are outdated since they're not considered broadband any more. No such thing as T2 (except in pinball )

Broadband is the catch-all term for most modern internet services.

DSL, cable service, and fiber service are the main transmission services available to most people, and speed can vary significantly depending on the level of service that you're paying for. Satellite service is also available, but it tends to have high latency (so it's not preferable for things like online gaming).

For cable and fiber, you're looking at anywhere between 15Mbps and 1Gbps in most cases.

Fiber service is usually only available in populated areas and as long as you're not too far from a main road.

#1541 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I just recall back when having a T1 line was pretty fancy and rather expensive. But that could have been back in ISDN days.

Yeah, compared to dial-up at the time, it was totally awesome.

#1545 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I assume you are talking of fiber to the home, and just not transport delivery, as most of that is fiber now.

Correct--there's a difference between backbone fiber and "last mile" fiber that ends up at a home or business.

#1550 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Yeah, I know.
FTTH is more prevalent now, but it is a more expensive installation of course.

The last time I was involved with fiber, there was a $1500 installation fee, but that can sometimes be waived depending on the length of the contract you sign.

#1561 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

There is a cable modem in the telecom room. I think there is fiber to the room too. Not sure what is active.

Local fiber between spaces/closets/equipment is pretty common, so that doesn't always automatically mean that it's fiber internet service.

#1583 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

Lets start our own bidding. Lets start at $100 for this one of a kind racing game. And the Internet bids have it for 10k.
[quoted image]

Rare version with the transparent cab

#1587 2 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I remember wifi was pretty bad at MoP a few years ago. I get the feeling it still is. Rebooting the router and software won't fix anything if the connection (speed) is bad, right?

Those could be two separate issues. Sometimes it's possible to unreliable wifi, but a good internet connection.

If wifi is spotty, I'd try to eliminate wifi from the equation and run a long ethernet cable back to the networking equipment.

#1696 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

They probably know 328 feet is the distance limit for Ethernet. Beyond that you get signal degradation, eventually to the point of being unusable.
What kind of throughput do you get from your 1000' run?

It's not an absolute max. I think I've gone over 400 feet just fine with cat5e. If there is significant EM interference, then you might run into trouble.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother to attempt 500ft+ without a repeater or switch.

#1729 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Hmm. I'm registered and logged in but no video in the little video window on the lower left of the bidding screen.

Click in the area for the video window and scroll down. The play button might be out of view.

#1776 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Probably not since then I have a bunch of cash but no games, and the time and expense to rebuild a collection wouldn't make it worth it.

I'm usually a bargain hunter, so if someone paid me 3x-5x what they're worth, I could turn around and re-buy most of the titles I own at fair market prices and still be ahead of the game.

#1781 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

This proves when ready to sell - getting a collector or two together and going the auction route is the no brainer.

I think the trick is also a considerable amount of advertising.

#1786 2 years ago

$5200 for a williams stargate?! Yikes

#1789 2 years ago

Discussion thread on klov, if anyone's interested in what vid community members are saying.

Spoiler: It's pretty much all the same things we're saying here.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/banning-museum-auction-captains.493930/page-22

#1795 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

steal of the day. Only a few made. I think only 3 known to be in collectors hands.
metal maniax was also a steal. Again, only 3 know in collectors hands.

Interesting...never heard of it before.

Links for the curious:
https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/80/lot/20486

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/picked-up-atari-proto-cyberstorm.480234/

Atari's response to street fighter II, perhaps?

#1832 2 years ago

Time to get the popcorn ready

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gif
#1845 2 years ago

Are they really going to try to plow through 200 more lots tonight? That's going to be a really late night for the east coast.

#1858 2 years ago

And welcome back to the auction of ridiculous prices!

SWT closes at $8200

#1867 2 years ago

I should buy & flip that $4k SWT hanging out on craiglist in my area....

#1878 2 years ago

Uh oh, I lost the video feed

#1907 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

The market has been strapped to a rocket and launched into space.

LOL

#1921 2 years ago

Godzilla didn't blast past SP and Baywatch? That's a little surprising.

#1933 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

maybe it means that the big buyers aren't pinheads... more after license than actual rare game pinheads would appreciate.

Godzilla is a big license. And a rare game. A double whammy.

#1950 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

They made shipping easy.

That's certainly a big factor. Nobody wants to figure out the logistics of shipping a far away pin on their own.

#1963 2 years ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

Seriously, something extremely fishy is going on with this auction.

Eh, a similar thing is happening in the movie prop market right now. I don't think it's a fluke or something fishy.

#1986 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

What did Tommy go for? Last I saw was 4K that seems really low compared to everything else.

If you missed a sold lot, scroll down on the page to the "other lots in this sale" box, and scroll up on that list.

#2008 2 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Has anyone here actually won any of these auctions? Or would admit to it?

I'm not even bidding. I figured prices would be completely bonkers.

#2017 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Does it come with any document to authenticate it was Nimoy's ?

The description doesn't mention anything. The auction house will likely provide their COA, but I think that might be it.

#2037 2 years ago

Well, I think I've had enough of this ridiculousness for one evening. I'll probably skim the hammer prices in the morning. Later folks--have fun

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.