20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #167 Museum Update & upcoming auction Posted by chuckcasey (2 years ago)

Post #467 Rvdv offer on pick up and shipment Posted by rvdv (2 years ago)

Post #858 auction links Posted by cait001 (2 years ago)

Post #1427 Auction lots being sold on which days Posted by oliviarium (2 years ago)

Post #1533 Video stream link Posted by NPO (2 years ago)

Post #2496 live auction stream on twitch Posted by InvaderHouse (2 years ago)

Post #2810 Article about the auction on nerdist Posted by Knxwledge (2 years ago)

Post #3696 Some lot numbers with prices. Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4227 Auction results Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4230 All Pinball Machine Auction Prices Posted by bobmathuse (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coindork.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Correct me if I am wrong... MOP owns the current location and has leased it out.
And now they have nowhere to go and are seeking a benefactor ... to provide them with a new location.
Sounds like a plan to me
And what do they mean by " TI " prices ??

TI generally is used as an acronym for “tenant improvements”. I.E. the tear down, remodel, rezoning, build out etc of a new location.

1 week later
#86 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

A small group of us AZ members took a number of trips there some years ago to help work on the arcade portion of the museum. Coindork grilled burgers and dogs and we laid out sleeping bags on floor of that very arcade. Good times. Hate to see it go if things don't work out. At least we got memories.

Yep, good times for sure.
I still have a Webber charcoal grill stashed there that I bought and left there for whenever we had tech days.
Good fun for sure and a lot of good memories.

There was one night after you all went to bed I polished off a half bottle of Scotch and went over to the pinball side and made love to the Big Lebowski.
Had my drunken way with that thing for a good hour or so by myself before I crashed out.

That first trip I went through two full boxes of black and white cap kits.
Think I recapped every Motorola XM series monitor on the arcade floor.

1 month later
#488 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I really hate this museum shut down and the collection will be broken up. Unfortunately, I never got to go see it in person. That being said, I would imagine for the owner, this is the best time imaginable to auction off a collection like this in terms of what type of return he will see on the investment of the games. Prices are just absolutely nuts lately.

There’s been a lot of comments about return on investment regarding the collection.
Sure, many things will bring record prices, but I think many will not.
One thing to also consider is that John paid top dollar to acquire many of the machines for the Museum. In several cases he paid exorbitant price to acquire key pieces where he will get back no where near what he paid for them (especially considering the auction fees etc).
Quite frankly they had a few games shoved up their ass at absurd prices under the guise that “the museum needs this”.
Sure a lot of the machine that we’re bought ages ago will perform well compared to the price paid, but many will not.
Honestly he would have been way better off putting the money in real estate or something similar.
I’m thankful for what he created there for the time it existed and cherish the times I spent at the museum.
Hopefully I can pick up a few machines in the auction.
Going to target a few that are near and dear to me.

3 weeks later
#631 2 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

That reminds me... Weren't there two Joust Machines at MOP?

Yes

#632 2 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

That reminds me... Weren't there two Joust Machines at MOP?

Both are listed in the auction.
Lot#481 and Lot#1341

#636 2 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

How rare is Rat Race? Thoughts on value?

Prototype, reportedly 10 were made.

#654 2 years ago

Space is for sure an issue with me.
If I were just starting out I would probably go nuts at the auction and try to buy a bunch of stuff. I just don’t want to do that at this stage in my collecting and I hate storing games. I’m also very happy with my current collection and don’t really want to sell a bunch of stuff to make room. Might sell a few things after the auction if I’m successful on more than I think I’ll probably wind up with.
I think my goal is to specifically target and go after a small handful of games that I think are really special. That means they are either rare, total oddball or something I have emotional attachment or nostalgia for.
I like taking really oddball rare games to shows, especially things people have never played or rarely get to play. I have a shortlist of a handful of games like that I would really like to own and I think I’ll be happy going home with 2-3 machines like that.
Just don’t have the room or desire to go there and fill a truck anymore.

#682 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Space Flight: https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=5564
Here's the one at Banning:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

My brother in-law Will (wife’s sisters husband) got that thing up and running at one of the repair events 3 or 4 years ago. It kept burning up a resistor and he tracked it down using the schematic and had it up and working mid-late afternoon one weekend when a bunch of us Arizona guys were out there. It was pretty awesome because everybody stopped what they were doing to check it out and get in on a game. We cracked open a couple of beers and played it for a while and then took a break to eat.

Originally I guess that game worked using an 8 track player that syncs with the gameplay where you have to land the shuttle in sync with a specific timing when the recording of the command center in Houston directs you to do so. The 8 track player on this specific machine has been replaced with a MP3 player replacement that has digital files of the original 8 track recording and works in the same manner as the 8 track.
It worked for a while (maybe a year or so after Will worked on it) and then started having issues again. They took it off the floor shortly after that.
Not sure if it was the same issue or not.

#686 2 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Bally Space Flight i didn't think you could get working without the 8track. There are metal spices on the 8track that signal to the game when a sound is finished playing. and the metal spices triggers a relay that tells the game to do something else. You can't just copy the 8track either. And without making a custom mp3 player with a relay, that won't work either. Or should i say the game won't work correctly. Also two tracks are used on the tape. You need both tracks. so a simple mp3 player is not going to do the trick.
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/bspace.htm

This is all basically correct, however there is a guy that developed a replacement board for these sort of games.
I can find the website right now and haven’t looked at it in many years, so I don’t know if they even make or sell them anymore.
He had a database of EM games where he had digitized the 8 track and would sell a PCB that integrates with the original hardware. If memory serves me correctly the replacement board has a coil or switch that activated at a certain point in the audio when the control center prompts you to land. That in tern activates the coil in the original machine that allows you to lower the shuttle.

When my brother in-law started working on the machine it partially worked.
Meaning the game started and played audio. You could move the landing shuttle left and right, forward and backwards, but could not lower it when it prompted you to. There’s a big bank of coils on the inside of the machine for various functions of the game. One specifically engages (or is supposed to engage) when the audio prompts you to land.
This was the coil that had a burnt up resistor, hence the game would not allow you to lower the shuttle. I don’t know if the issue with the resistor burning up is related to the board at all etc. But I can tell you for certain that the game functioned correctly after that resistor was replaced and continued to do so for some time.
I do not believe the machine is currently working now.
Not sure it that issue resurfaced or if the machine now has other issues.

1 week later
#716 2 years ago

My dad called me today because he heard about the auction on the radio and asked me if I needed a loan.

#718 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Does your dad need another son?

No kidding.
That came totally out of left field and was unexpected.
He seemed genuinely excited about it.
I told him I would let him know after the auction and I see how much I spend, but I think I’m budgeted pretty good for the lots I intend on bidding on.

#733 2 years ago

These droids gonna be expensive. Random friend sent me this article. Word is out, let the elbowing begin!
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/arcade-games-auction-museum-of-pinball/2687397/

I hope they are taking into account the amount of internet traffic this could potentially generate. Even if people are not bidding and just following the auction it’s going to eat up a lot of bandwidth.
The internet connectivity at Banning has always sucked.
Hope they are taking this into account and taking the proper measures.

#778 2 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

I know someone that is going to bid over 150k total on at least 7 different machines, and he doesn't know anything about pinball. Lots of covid cash right now. He wants all the rare titles.

Sounds like a great way to turn 150k into 90k.

#1020 2 years ago

I predict that a bunch of machine for sale on pinside adds will magically sell while the auction is going on.
Some of these machines are currently listed for sale at half the price.

#1033 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I hope they are taking into account the amount of internet traffic this could potentially generate. Even if people are not bidding and just following the auction it’s going to eat up a lot of bandwidth.
The internet connectivity at Banning has always sucked.
Hope they are taking this into account and taking the proper measures.

I feel like Babe Ruth.

#1121 2 years ago

Cant wait to see what Raven sells for.

#1214 2 years ago

Close Encounters is very rare as an EM.
Also, many of them went to Europe.

#1222 2 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Gonna be a lot of demand for home pin techs in the future too…

I was thinking this earlier.
A lot of new buyers will have no idea how to keep their machines working properly.

#1279 2 years ago

Samurai was one of four games on my short list in the auction.
Guess I'm never going to own that game.

#1289 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

Sega Samurai the cab was cool looking to make up for the basic gameplay. And that cab has sound issues. But it's all analog sound.

It actually has board issues with the PCB.
It hasn't worked right in four years.
I was hoping to buy it and have a friend of mine fix the board, but could not justify it at that price.

#1297 2 years ago

Wonder what my immaculate Blue Shark is worth now?
One of my favorite games.

IMG_0927 (resized).JPGIMG_0927 (resized).JPG
#1345 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

I was trading emails with a fellow collector and that was one of our concerns. I would be concerned about some of the vids being more reproduction than original. I dont want to mention a name, but someone in southern cal area was making beautiful reproductions. I would bet a few are sprinkled into the auction. I would want to look inside tapper, timber, and a few others to make sure they are running on original hardware.
Games on there like paperboy, road blasters, road runner, should be looked at closely, But I think those might be more cosmetic enhanced than emulated.

Timber and Tapper are both originals.
Ive been inside both of the games at the museum, plus John had those long before the person you are referencing started making the repros.

#1350 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Did the Blaster have a 19-in-1 in it?

Don't know.
I never worked on that machine.

#1482 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Seriously?!? How many of Dedicated games were made, and how many conversion kits did Konami sell for it?

Thats actually one of those games that is becoming "less rare" with time.
Nearly every converted Track and Field winds up getting restored in this day and age due to the popularity of the game and the fact that all the artwork is available as a repro.

#1517 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

dang, I used to love Dragons Lair.. that would be a lot of fun to own

You would think that, until you own one for a while.
Best attract mode for an arcade game, but the replay value is not there.

#1531 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

So what is the desirable standard called, these days ? T2, T3 . . . ?

T-800 is the first generation Terminator.
T-1000 = liquid metal.

#1538 2 years ago

I'm on a business trip in Europe at the moment and have spent the last two nights in my hotel room following the auction.
Last night I stayed up until 5am and then worked today.
This lag shit is fucking killing me.

#1542 2 years ago

T1 was the shit in the early 2000s when I was playing FPSs.

#1614 2 years ago

Museum Quality < Collector Quality

#1674 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

Not sure how. The power supply was not wired up for AC in. I checked it out 2 weeks ago.

It's possible it was worked on within the last few days.
John had some people in there right before the auction because he wants as much working as possible for the auction.

#1681 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Nonworking Joust: $2500
Working Joust: $5000

The second joust was also the rarer of the two.
It was in a factory converted Robotron cabinet, which is much rarer than a standard cab.

#1684 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

Since I was the lead tech on the arcade side (if you see any notes on the games, most are mine), I was here before the auction and did not work on that game. None of the other techs worked on it too. I did not see anyone else working on games, and no signs they did.

Don't know the answer then, but the monitor had power going to it.

#1710 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

How many Licensed Vids were made for Star Wars?

Star Wars 1983
Return Of The Jedi 1984
Empire Strike Back 1985
Star Wars Arcade 1993
Star Wars Trilogy Arcade 1998
Star Wars Racer Arcade 2000
Star Wars Starfighters 2003
Star Wars Battle Pod 2014

#1716 2 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

Don't forget Return of the Jedi

oops, yep I knew someone would chime in that is missed one.

#2660 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Um I just bid 5700 on Jetsons
Is that good?

They normally sell in the $5000-$5500 range used, so not terrible.

#2664 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Guess I was just bored. Clicked that button and farted at the same time.

I was in at $5000 if that tells you anything.
I'm only 3 pins away from putting together a complete set of Spookys.

#2667 2 years ago

Suck it, Rob Zombie FUCKING ROCKS!!!!

#2678 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

On the hunt for AMH but at ~$8k plus shipping on top... :/

Me too man, me too

#2861 2 years ago

If thats the reason, then the sky is the limit with Dolly.

#2881 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Was wondering where that Strikes and Spares came from, there was never one there when I visited that I saw.

Could be a newer purchase since covid.
Some of the machines they are on right now are recently purchased.
The Transporter thats up in a few lots was purchased from Captains a few auctions back.

#2890 2 years ago

I don't think the price on Transporter was crazy.
Its probably the rarest system 11

#2924 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Guys I’ll sell you [whatever game just sold for a crazy price at banning auction] for the low price of [ten percent less than crazy auction price]!
Any takers?!?!?

Hammer? Or all in?

#3168 2 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Plot Twist: They will use all the money generated in the auction to save Deeproot!
Chris

The auction won’t generate enough proceeds to do that.

#3210 2 years ago

Possibly so.
This is not a project for the faint of heart or novice.
I commend you if you buy it and undertake putting those back together.
Thats quite an undertaking, but certainly worth it for such a remarkable and fun game.

I have the rare single player version.
Heres a video of me playing it.

#3222 2 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

I haven't been out there in 8-10 years probably. It was working when I was there. That EM arcade room (minus the MCI games) was the first thing I thought of when the auction was announced.

Neither of the two Gunfights that are in this lot are the one that was down in the shooting gallery at the bottom of the hill.
That is a third Gunfight that is still down in the shooting gallery also now partially dissembled and also in need of repair.
I'm guessing it didn't make it in the auction as it was not in one of the main rooms.

These two were bought very recently during the last year or so as a lot.
No idea if all of the parts are there, or if there is enough to create one or two working games or not.

#3225 2 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

I'm guessing John is keeping SOME games & this one would be on my list along with a few other EM arcades.

I'm not sure that's the reasoning for the 3rd Gunfight not being in the auction.
My understanding is that only the machines that were on the floor are the machine being auctioned now, which seems to be the case.
There are still a shitload of games in storage, other parts of the property and off site that are not in this auction.
The idea was to clear out the main building.

#3396 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Saw a few ended up back in AZ[quoted image]

Awesome to see someone out here bought the Slither.
That game is great.
It's like a crazy version of Centipede with the Devil in the Arizona desert.
Seems like it belongs here.

1 week later
#3669 2 years ago

Thats all folks......

#3686 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

The sold auctions are already deleted from the webpage. Hope they got saved somewhere

They were like that earlier before the auction started back up.
Once the auction went live it was fully populated, including the lots from the first weekend.

#3733 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Was Old Chicago at $1,700 one of the actual (overlooked ?) bargains of the auction, thus far ?

The cabinet looked like total shit.

#3737 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Looking slightly ahead, does anyone know the condition of Firepower, Lot #969 ? I believe that a lot of these were made. An interesting footnote on that: one of our local operators, for reasons unclear, substituted one of those lightweight ceramic balls (a ala TZ's "Powerball") in the game, and I thought that this transformed the game in an unexpected and highly favorable way. Definitely worth trying, if you ever get the chance !

An even better mod is to replace the stationary targets with drop targets.
The game is coded that way and they were taken out when the game went into production. Here’s a picture of mine.
It’s a real game changer for this title.

6AF016F3-DD98-47BF-B904-F898D389CE28 (resized).jpeg6AF016F3-DD98-47BF-B904-F898D389CE28 (resized).jpeg
#3740 2 years ago

Hey you with the face.

#3784 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I just wanted to say U-Boat 65 in this thread so it would be mentioned in searches.
Also worth mentioning is there's probably no possible way you'll get this one running again so happy $2700 spent!

Out of curiosity, why do you say that?
I know someone who ones one of these that works.
Is is missing some kind of game specific parts or something?

#3852 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

Didn't Gorgar and Big Guns taunt the players?

Also Black Knight 2000, which came out the year prior.

#3861 2 years ago

I am seriously disappointed that Terminator 2 did not break the 10k mark (before fees).

#3864 2 years ago

I love Black knight 2000, but damn.

#3870 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Chris said he doesn't drive a Ferrari . . . but that could change, *after* this auction !

Think he's more of a Hot Rod type of guy.

#3880 2 years ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

IJPA coming up!!!

Ill guess 17k

#3912 2 years ago

This was the lesser of the two Varkons and it went for more than the first one.

#3929 2 years ago

That Bozo Balloon dispenser would be a real hit at a whip-it party.

#3933 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

How many of them are actively bidding? It seems like its just the "yup" guy vs. the internet bidders.

Heard the guy that bought the 24 for $10,100 just showed up to buy that game and left (like a boss).
Must be a huge Kiefer Sutherland fan.

#3935 2 years ago

The Space Demon Cabaret I picked up in the middle of nowhere Utah on my way back from Eagle Idaho visiting Grinkers with a buddy.
Made a side trip just to grab that machine for the museum and dropped it off with them on the way to visit my folks in California.
Pretty damn rare cabaret and totally original (only one I've seen).

#3936 2 years ago

Warlords is up next.
Should be good.
Best cocktail arcade game ever made.

#3938 2 years ago

My wife is trying to get me to bit on the Tapper cocktail because it's her favorite game.
We already have the upright, lol.

#3940 2 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I’ll raise to a 4 player Sega Eliminator.

Perhaps I have a bias opinion.
I grew up in a Catholic Italian family with 5 kids and Warlords was the only game we had on Atari 2600 where four of us could play at once.

#3943 2 years ago

Ok, please report.
Did someone here buy the two Gun Fight projects?
If so, please start a restoration thread when you get them.

#3954 2 years ago

Whomever bought the EM Monte Carlo.
I donated that game.
The spring for the pedal is inside the game and just needs to be attached.
I blows the fuse for the ball eject every once in a while after long periods of time, which is why it would not eject the ball.
Game works just needs TLC.

#3957 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Umm, Hello. IT Was Me and I'm super stoked!
I think I just got the cheapest lot at this auction.
I know this game. Only from long ago.
Thank you for the heads up.
I'll be in touch and already have an idea about that fuse.
I just wonder we're the ball is?
I won something!

I took the game to ZapCon 3 years ago and it got the shit played out of it there.
The spring broke at the show and we jimmy rigged it with some pinball rubbers from the Marco booth.
Don't trip out when you see a bunch of pinball rubbers attached to the peddle replacing the spring, lol.
Joe, the arcade tech ordered the correct spring, which is sitting inside the machine and never installed.

If you want to know the history on the machine, it came out of an arcade museum in New Mexico that went defunct.

#3958 2 years ago

Umm, Hello. IT Was Me and I'm super stoked!
I think I just got the cheapest lot at this auction.
I know this game. Only from long ago.
Thank you for the heads up.
I'll be in touch and already have an idea about that fuse.
I just wonder we're the ball is?
I won something!

The ball is probably in there.
If not it used the same ball as Ice Cold Beer, Zekes Peak and Fire Escape so its easy to get.
John fell in love with the machine at the show and I was out of room on my trailer because I bought two pins a the show, so I gave it to the museum.
If you need help with it when you get it, let me know.
I pretty familial with it.

#3969 2 years ago

I can't thank you enough!!!
I owe you, and I'll let you know it's progress.
Super fun. I seriously think this is the cheapest lot so far at Banning.

That game is super fun, congrats.
When I took that game to ZapCon we had people waiting in line to play it.
You're going to have a lot of fun with it.

#3977 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

That's dumb, Im sure you could find someone on KLOV to repair it. Maybe try El Dorado games

I'm not so sure its as easy as that.
The Midway Space Invaders uses an 8080 processor so its similar to a lot of other games (Sea Worlf, Space Lazer, Depthcharge, Lunar Rescue etc.), but not the same as the Japanese version.
We had a guy that was bringing his Taito Space Invaders to several repair parties out here and could not figure out how to get it working.
I'm not the best PCB guy, but there are several guys in our group that are electrical engineers and no dice.

#3982 2 years ago

oh man, would love the Green Monster! This thing is cheap at 12k. No room.

I almost threw up getting off that thing after they got it up and running.

#3988 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Not running. Nutting.[quoted image]

I see what you did there.
Well done.

#4003 2 years ago

I now own a Sub Hunter.
The number 1 game I wanted in the auction.

My dad would give me quarters to go play in the arcade while him and my mom were playing in bowling league.
This is the English version of Depthcharge (of which I own two), however this has a two way mirror with blacklight reflective art and a way radder cabinet.
Im soooooooo stoked right now, and my kids feel like they just involved themselves in part of my childhood.
Sooo happy to own this.
This was my favorite game as a kid.

#4006 2 years ago

OMG, wow. Can I come visit bring Monte Carlo?

Yeah man come on out.
My biggest collecting interest outside of pinball is very early arcade games and I have a huge collection of Black and White 1970s arcade games.
I'm a huge collector of Black and White games.
I have many that the museum never had the chance to acquire.

#4022 2 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

$24k for a sub hunter??

For what it's worth, this version of Depthcharge was not even known to exist until it showed up at CAX 3 years ago.
Although I'm not 100% certain, the machine may be a 1 of 1 as far as examples known to exist.

#4048 2 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

So...you didn't play it as a kid?

No, not the exact machine I played when I was a kid.
The bowling alley by my house had a Depthcharge.
Effectively the same game, but in a SEGA Gremlin cabinet (same cabinet as Frogger but white).

Sub Hunter was the European version of this game licensed to Taito.
If you look at the coin door, the coin eject buttons are denominated in British Pence.

The American version was basically just a white Frogger cabinet with a little bit of graphics on it.
They went all out graphically on the Euro version, which is one of the things that makes it special

The second variation is that the Euro version uses a two way mirror that reflects a color background (Similar to Varkon, Space Invaders, EM shooting games etc.)
It looks like a color game, but is not.
The American version only had a blue gel overlay to make the black and white monitor "look like the ocean".
The Euro version took it to another level.

Anyhow, my main arcade collecting interest is pre golden era black and white game from the "bronze age of arcades".
I have about 40 different games from this era including things like Atari Pong, Sky Diver, Death Race etc.
This was a real gem to add to the collection and one where I friggin adore the gameplay to boot.

If ZapCon happens again you will see this machine at the show,
My buddy Paul (one of the show organizers) has asked my to do a black and white game exhibit when the show opens back up and I'm really looking forward to that.

#4073 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

As I remember they used TVs not monitors.

Correct.
There’s a specific model of Zenith that they use and it really needs to be correct to command the money.
I have a Red Computer Space.
It’s a trip because it’s legit an old TV with vaccine tubes etc.

#4075 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Diodes it still have the coffee can inside for coin drop?

That’s the only thing mines missing is the coin bucket.
It’s actually not a coffee can.
The coin buckets were the paint/lacquer cans left over from gel coating the cabinet and they repurposed them as the coin bucket.

Atari Pong uses a bread pan for baking a loaf of bread.

#4083 2 years ago
Quoted from flipper-happy:

I enjoyed that little bit of history, thanks for sharing

This era of video games is fascinating.
Keep in mind that this is the very beginning and there weren’t things like commercial crt monitors and other standard parts like you had in the later years.
Atari and Nutting were legitimately going into department stores and hardware stores to buy parts to build these games.
It’s a trip.

#4088 2 years ago
Quoted from Asmig:

Maneater $21,600, how rare are these?

It’s pretty rare.
People like to lump it into the same category as Computer Space because of the unique fiberglass cabinet.
There’s really only a handful of games that used this method of cabinet manufacture (Computer Space, 2 player Computer Space, Space Race and Maneater).
Maneater was basically capitalizing of the Jaws craze and there were several shark themed games that came out when Jaws was big.

There was a Maneater up on eBay about a year or so ago and it basically just sat there at 10k OBO.
It worked and was in nice shape, but someone had painted blood all over the teeth and painted gills and eyes on it. There was some speculation as to if the paint could be removed without messing up the gel coating on the cabinet. In retrospect it was probably an ok deal.

#4089 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You mean like the screen door spring on the gas pedal in Death Races ?
LTG : )

Lol, yep.
I have a Death Race as well as the PG version Destruction Derby.
A lot of the metal parts on those games like the shifters and pedals were just raw steel that they cut and welded to make work.
At least the steering wheels on early game like that are easy to replace because they used legit steering wheels from the car hobby and you can still buy them.

#4091 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Captain claiming Space War was the first video arcade game made. Lol

Sort of.
Computer Space wars was the first video game ever made.
This is a version of it ported to an arcade game.

#4093 2 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

That Domino Man price is absolutely mind blowing
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"3316cdee2030269181788a4045fe45deb98d3225-1632687246-1800"};
//]]>

I bough my Domino Man from Captain 3 or 4 years ago.
I think I paid $3400 for it and people thought I was nuts.
I bought it for my wife because Timber and Tapper are her favorite games and Domino man is the third game in that series.
It’s rare as hell and every known Domino Man is in a converted Lazarian cabinet. If you pull the dominos off the front, it has mint Lazarian artwork underneath. Also the side art is laid right over Lazarian art.
I guess Lazarian was a commercial failure and they converted them all at the factory. I’ve looked at 5 different Domino Mans and they are all like that.
It’s legit a rare game and impossible to fully restore because you can’t get the domino kick plate.

Anyhow, long story short my wife didn’t like the gameplay because its so different than Timber of Tapper.
My buddy Derek was interested in it, so I gave it to him and told him that he needs to come up to the property after summer and it cools off to help me build a chicken coup.
I called him last night and told him what the game sold for and reminded him he still owes me a chicken coup. Lol

#4096 2 years ago
Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

Pretty sure the first computerized game with a screen is Tennis for Two. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_for_Two

Interesting.
Yeah, I guess that predates Space Wars by a couple years.
FWIW, there’s even a few documentaries that credit Space Wars as being the first video game.
Tennis definitely predates that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacewar!

#4098 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Or how Granny and the Gators is built from Environmental Discs of Tron, and my City Slicker is made from a Rampage cabinet!

Yep, Granny pretty well explains all the factory cut EDOTS.

#4120 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Was hardly a museum, it was really just a guy's personal collection he didn't work on himself that he let people play a few times a year. Feels entirely fitting to me

You still bitter because you were denied being able to volunteer as a tech because they didn't think you were a good fit there?

#4122 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

You should come back to KLOV, we miss you over there

I’m good.

#4128 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Aw, okay. I guess your reputation here isn't ruined, so makes sense.

My reputation isn’t ruined on KLOV.
I left on my own accord because arguing with people like you is like getting into a fight with a mentally handicapped person.
Take your shit somewhere else.

#4136 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

You started it, buddy. Do you not remember this post you just made?

How did you do in the auction?
I’m guessing you didn’t go view in person considering you are one of only a select few people that made a list to be denied access to the viewing.

I’m guessing you didn’t even know that.
I forget, what were you saying about reputation?

Anyhow, I’m done .

#4138 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Ooooh nice, I didn't realize I was that special! All this shit's way overpriced anyway, I had no interest in bidding, only sitting on the sidelines with my popcorn watching it unfold and laughing about it.

Cool, enjoy your popcorn.

#4141 2 years ago
Quoted from bobmathuse:

Looks like total for arcades will be about $2.1M, Pins a hair over $3M when done. Have it all in a spreadsheet for historical purposes.

When it’s all said and done can you post the gross total sales from the auction.
I’m curious how this compares to the asking price when the contents of the museum were trying to be sold intact.

#4147 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I've heard that CAW beat out Sotheby's and one other auction house, to be the one to land this gig.

Yes, but prior to the collection going to auction they were looking for a buyer that would buy the collection and keep it intact.
The problem is that they couldn’t find a potential buyer that would have kept the collection intact. Anyone interested in buying it would have parted it out and sold most of it off or auctioned it, which leads us to where we are today.

#4155 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Yes, will be interesting, the pre-show estimate was $7M+ if I recall correctly. Found article:
The collection could be worth as much as $7 million, according to the auctioneer handling the sale, which includes some machines more than 60 years old. The holy grail of the sale could be a “Pirates of the Caribbean” collector’s edition pinball machine from 2018, associated with the Disney franchise, which the auction house said could fetch up to $35,000

That estimate was based on the asking price that was being thrown around prior to the collection going to auction based on a loose inventory.
I could be wrong, but I don’t think anyone ever made a proper appraisal machine by machine to come up with that value.
I do know towards the end (before the auction deal was inked), they lowered the price and were open to offers to try and find a buyer that would keep it intact.

#4235 2 years ago

Largest collection of pinball machines and arcade games ever auctioned 5.4 million over six days.

It's a trip to think that a new run of Stern LEs will basically sell for double this amount in a few hours upon release.

I'm not sure what the lasting repercussions of this auction will be, but in the grad scheme of things I don't think 5.4M is a lot of money for the hobby to adsorb all at one whack considering new game sales.

#4241 2 years ago
Quoted from Asmig:

So what happened to all the benches from inside the museum?

Supposedly a lot of that type of stuff will be auctioned at a later date.

#4244 2 years ago
Quoted from Asmig:

Thanks, I was hoping they were going to announce a future auction for that stuff at the end.

I kind of want one of the benches.
When we had repair events we would push 4 of them together to make a bed to sleep on at night.
Did that a few times and then bought a folding cot.

#4367 2 years ago

If the machines had sold for peanuts and John lost his ass on this venture people would be singing a different tune.

Jealousy is a strange and funny thing.

#4370 2 years ago

Mourning and the 5 Stages of Grief and Loss:

denial
anger
bargaining
depression
acceptance

It’s different for everyone, but ultimates acceptance is the final stage.
Unfortunately many people get hung up in the second stage.

#4383 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Does anyone here have stories regarding Nutting, and the creation of Computer Space Game?
Soylent Green use? Etc?

The White one used in Soylent Green is unique (only one made in that color) and was done for the film. It still exists and is owned by the owner of KLOV.

#4389 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Does anyone here have stories regarding Nutting, and the creation of Computer Space Game?
Soylent Green use? Etc?

There’s a pretty good write up on Wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Space

#4394 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Maybe we should create a thread where, as the new owners realize what they have and what they did, start selling at a loss or start asking for repair help. Make sure to charge them a ridiculous sum, tech people. They have already demonstrated they have more money than brains.

Because nothing screams community like ridiculously overcharging the new guy.
Just remember that today’s “noob” may become tomorrow’s veteran collector.

#4426 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Well, let's just say that pin repair techs tend to be underpaid and under appreciated. anyone who buys a pin at those prices? without even checking current values? I mean, pinside is very visible to even a casual search. Let's make certain the noobs understand techs deserve to be paid a good fee.

Getting paid a fair wage for someones technical capabilities and "ridiculously sum" as you so put it are two different things.
I don't disagree that someone should be paid a fair wage, nor do I have an issue paying a fair wage based on someones skillset.

I had a guy come over to the house to quote me on building a Palapa in my back yard.
Guy shows up in a 75k car wearing flip flops and rocking at 25k rose gold rolex. He quotes me 35k after sizing me up because I live in a 1m+ house.
I told him thanks, now get off my property.
Same experience with a jackass plumerias that quoted me $2500 to fix a leaky t-joint, where I had already cut away the drywall and showed him where the leak was.
The guy tried to get me to redo the entire plumbing in my house because "its old" built in 1982 with all copper pipe.
I believe I told that one to "get the fuck of my property".
My normal plumber fixed it for $125.
It's no different.
If you want to size up people based on where they live, how they dress, what you perceive their wealth is, you're an asshole that's needs to come up with a more sustainable business model.

#4437 2 years ago

The difference is that I wasn’t selling something.
And yes, I completely judged him by that.

#4441 2 years ago
Quoted from Steve_d71:

What's a palapa?

Tahitian style cabana.
Something like this.

CEB6C65F-7794-4979-B766-CD9E15B112A3 (resized).jpegCEB6C65F-7794-4979-B766-CD9E15B112A3 (resized).jpeg
#4445 2 years ago
Quoted from Steve_d71:

I asked because I'm a carpenter. I've built many pergolas and gazebos, but I've never been asked to build a palapa.
But maybe we don't have those in Canada eh!?

Popular in the Tiki culture etc.
I just wanted a small one by the pool for a bar area.

#4448 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Glad we agree. But spare us the stories of how tough you were to corrupt contractors. Sounds like you have some bad contractors, makes me wonder why you didn't call your normal plumber in the first place, and not waste anyone's time.

Because the pipe started leaking at 12:30 at night and that was the nearest 24 hour plumber.
Cheers

#4451 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Is there a site that has price estimates for video games? When I process all the auction data, I thought I might join it with some price estimates and display a % overpaid estimate. I thought KLOV used to have that, but I don't see it anymore. Anywhere else? I don't follow arcade games much. I'll just use the pinside estimates for pinballs.

The only thing I am aware of is the Exidy Price Guide.
https://www.arcade-classics.com/exidy_arcade_price_guide.html

It's extremely low on a lot of things in todays market (even before the Banning auction).
Also a lot of extremely rare games are way out of wack because there is no pricing data for them and no way to come up with a comp for something that hasn't sold in recent times.

2 weeks later
#4498 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

So, nothing much in the area of "After" Reports, Con or even Pro ? No "I sure stepped in it there, terrible decision, really should have known better", all the way up to a "Well, I paid 5X what it was worth, and I Just Don't Care !" No reports of phantom, deadbeat bidders who vanished without paying up, or the much predicted chargebacks by dissatisfied buyers ? If there is nothing but silence in the aftermath of the Grand Auction, it could either be because people are too embarrassed to surface and to say anything, or (more likely) that due to the nature of the bidding audience they've never even heard of Pinside and remain oblivious to anything that's been discussed here. C'mon now: there was such a lively back & forth leading up to and during. Surely *someone* has a good story to share about what came later, after all the dust had settled ? If it helps, feel free to gloss over inclusion of certain identifying specifics . . . .

I overpaid for a machine and I’m thrilled with it.
Great game that I consider a real gem in my 1970s black and white arcade collection.
It works great and is going right into the lineup with these beauties.
Working on doing some rearranging so I can make one entire room of black and whit games as I have at least a dozen more in the garage.

D3A999F0-28E0-4230-9E71-2E2E22B765AC (resized).jpegD3A999F0-28E0-4230-9E71-2E2E22B765AC (resized).jpeg0F4C2EB0-B3BA-459F-AE5E-C7D1669D609A (resized).jpeg0F4C2EB0-B3BA-459F-AE5E-C7D1669D609A (resized).jpeg0F60E98F-48FA-43E0-8252-80D93DFEE85D (resized).jpeg0F60E98F-48FA-43E0-8252-80D93DFEE85D (resized).jpegD0515D93-4D12-4D55-99B2-D365F034D7B0 (resized).jpegD0515D93-4D12-4D55-99B2-D365F034D7B0 (resized).jpeg8F82DCD2-E818-4DDE-BED2-010B69ED7060 (resized).jpeg8F82DCD2-E818-4DDE-BED2-010B69ED7060 (resized).jpeg

#4501 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Most important, looks like the kids are happy with the new addition!

He’s stoked. Harrison was the one hitting the bid button during the auction.
My wife and I were telling him when to bid. I took over bidding once it got to the five figure mark.
Oddly enough my wife was the one who pushed me to bid that high because she knew I really wanted it and if I didn’t get this one I would probably not get a chance to buy another.
My son was asking pretty much every day when it was going to arrive.
Pretty cool and for sure one of my top five black and whites in my collection.

#4511 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

My friend scored Cosmotrons, we cleaned it up tuesday night, and got some 4 player games in.
Just an amazing modern retro game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I played one of those at CAX a few years ago.
Neat machine!

#4520 2 years ago

I'm really curious to see what comes up in the future auctions.
I know theres a lot of project and duplicate games etc. in multiple storage locations.
Everything from nice machines, projects, parts machines and anywhere in between.
I've only ever been to a couple of those buildings, but it was pretty impressive.
Crossing my fingers theres a few of the black and white arcade games hidden in the trove that are on my short list.

#4536 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Just got Paradise set up and working.
My friend and I went halfs on it.
One more rescued from Banning.
Dancing Girls!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

She definitely went to the right home.

#4537 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

They couldnt even put the bumper cap on Rocky
[quoted image]

That’s pretty common with those style of pop bumper caps.
It’s just a poor design where they snap into place with a few plastic tabs and it’s very common for those to break or come loose.

#4540 2 years ago

Yeah but when you’re selling it, you think you would take the effort to correct something like that. But what what do I know, that thing sold for over $10K with that as is

Well, in order to fix it you first need to know that it came loose.
It can’t have been loose like that for very long, otherwise the vibration from the pop bumper would have rattled it onto the play field. I would say it probably happened in the last game or two that was played otherwise it wouldn’t be sitting there like that. If no one brings it to someone’s attention, then yeah it’s going to sit like that until someone with keys to the machine notices it and puts it back on. I don’t see what the big issue is.

3 weeks later
#4656 2 years ago

Bought a few interesting projects at the auction last night.
Although I'm 99.9% certain these were consigned from another collector (not Banning stuff).

Both of these are PSE cabinets and use the same hardware as Bazooka (which I have).
Should be able to test the board sets in that cabinet and go from there.
Pretty darn rare games from a short lived company that didn't make a lot of games.
I thought they were a bargain, but then again they are going to take a bit of work.

77992_0 (resized).jpg77992_0 (resized).jpg77995_0 (resized).jpg77995_0 (resized).jpg
#4667 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

That Desert Patrol looked cool, love all the early era Video games, most of the early pre Space Invader history has been lost and forgotten.

You should try to make it out here for ZapCon this year.
https://pinside.com/pinball/events/zapcon-8-2022
I’m planning on bringing a bunch of this era of games to the show and running two “Bronze Age” arcade tournaments.

The first one is going to be Land, Air and Sea.
It’s a head to head, player against player double elimination tournament.
My plan is to bring SUBS, TANK 2, Biplane and Guided Missile. Trophies for first, second and third place.

Second tournament is going to be a general Bronze Age tournament where you compete on a variety of games like Sea Wolf, Stunt Cycle, Sky Diver, Blue Shark, Sub Hunter, Video Pinball, Space Invaders etc. Each game will be based on score. Highest score per game gets 4 points, second highest gets 3, third gets two and you get 1 point for just playing a machine and putting up a score. If two people tie on a machine, they both get the points allocated for that bracket. For instance two people tie for first on Stunt Cycle, they both get 4 points. The most overall points at the end determines 1st, 2nd and third place and there will be trophies for that as well. In the event of a tie, the two players are challenged to a duel at Gunfight.

The great thing about it is it’s mostly time based skill games. I.E. anybody could win. I would not be surprised if someone’s kid walks away with a trophy. Should be a lot of fun.

#4672 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Hope to make it to Zapcon, ill head strait for the Black and White games.
I'll buy the first round of Drinks.

Quoted from sunnRAT:

I'll get the 2nd round. Gotta talk Sabbath and solid states.

Third round it is.

#4680 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Anyone who dumps their Halloween Ultraman at this point are tantruming Babys.
Pretty pathetic.

Word.
Bunch of Veruca Salts

#4683 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Rightfully so?!
Who forced him to buy it?

They were forced at machete point and if they didn’t buy it, they would be murdered in the woods.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coindork.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate?tu=coindork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.