20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #167 Museum Update & upcoming auction Posted by chuckcasey (2 years ago)

Post #467 Rvdv offer on pick up and shipment Posted by rvdv (2 years ago)

Post #858 auction links Posted by cait001 (2 years ago)

Post #1427 Auction lots being sold on which days Posted by oliviarium (2 years ago)

Post #1533 Video stream link Posted by NPO (2 years ago)

Post #2496 live auction stream on twitch Posted by InvaderHouse (2 years ago)

Post #2810 Article about the auction on nerdist Posted by Knxwledge (2 years ago)

Post #3696 Some lot numbers with prices. Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4227 Auction results Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4230 All Pinball Machine Auction Prices Posted by bobmathuse (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#443 2 years ago

Will be very interesting to see the ramifications of this sale on the market. Guessing this many pins hitting the market likely to cause at least a small crash on the west coast, particularly for less popular segments like the older ss market segment or em’s. Everyone loves a whitewater….. lot less buyers for a close encounters of X’s and O’s.

#479 2 years ago

So, dumb question here. Looks like there is 1-2 titles here that I might be interested in. But I'm in Florida... which is a long way from California (or so i hear )

So assuming I won a bid, I'm going to have to find some other person to pick it up from the auction floor, pack it, and then arrange for another shipper to pick up from this other person to get it to me? I assume Captain has no shipping services, like Mecum has?

Sounds fairly daunting.

1 month later
#1150 2 years ago

I feel like I’m watching a hobby die in real time…

#1182 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

What is with the whole "THIS KILLS THE HOBBY" vibe going on here?
A massively advertised auction successfully sells lots of games at high prices and it's the end of the world? Really???

Because it will lock up machines with many people expecting ridiculously higher prices. Instant market inflation.

#1188 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Everyone who's so suspicious because they can't believe a bunch of people with lots of money are just buying toys they want hasn't been paying attention to the world.
This auction was advertised around the whole country. NYTimes, NBC, mainstream press. These buyers might not be players, they likely don't care about hunting for deals or dealing with eBay. They have money, the auction is a known quantity with a story behind it, they're spending cash on themes that appeal to them. It's that simple.
Someone was a big Rocky fan I'm sure.

So how do you explain Bronco?

#1218 2 years ago

Gonna be a lot of demand for home pin techs in the future too…

#1226 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I was thinking this earlier.
A lot of new buyers will have no idea how to keep their machines working properly.

I spent 4,000 on this thing and it won’t even start!

#1486 2 years ago
Quoted from Moortus:

I sold that machine to John for $1000 in 2014.

Oof… I guess non profit doesn’t mean what it used to. We’re these owned by the non profit or him personally?

#1493 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

cobra command for $9100!!!
I was waiting for the Laserdisc section. shit's gonna be bonkers

I’m waiting for the fireworks on Dragon’s Lair.

#1743 2 years ago
Quoted from Blindseer:

Isnt the money that is earned go back to the not for profit? What happens then? Not sure you can cash out of a 501c3 it has to go to charitable causes. Sorry if this was answered earlier.

I had the same thought…. Feels like a combo tax dodge AND abuse of donated machines, but I am not familiar with the circumstances at play here

#2480 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Bad cats is the new hype
$12,375 out the door[quoted image]

Whelp, I guess there goes my hopes of ever owning a Bad cats. Wonder what my Classic pf is now worth??

#2490 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

***Williams/ Bally Pinball division has entered the chat***

Actually… at these prices you’ve got a decent support for just re-popping old non-licensed machines. With CPR making playfield and backglasses, it’s not terribly hard to remake the rest. Development was where the real cost was

#2555 2 years ago
Quoted from hsh247:

IANAL but now that there's 50 pages documenting that these sales are FMV * infinity, its time to remember that the delta between FMV and sale price can be a tax deductible charitable contribution per the IRS. It probably wouldn't take an Ivy educated accountant to see to it that the whole purchase price is deductible. As long as you aren't a hobbyist or collector or connoisseur these prices are just what you're looking for.

Well, there’s a fine line here. Who owns these machines? If it’s the non profit, Weeks can’t just pocket the profit - the np has to spend it in accordance with its charter. If it’s weeks that owns it, then no tax deduction.

#2573 2 years ago

I really wish there were some Zizzle machines in this auction…. Or maybe an “Alive”?

Just to test the borders of lunacy. You know… for science.

#2576 2 years ago
Quoted from SkinnyFats:

I feel like I would if I stumbled into a Barrett Jackson car auction and saw 2007 Toyota Corollas with 160k miles and a primer gray quarter panel were selling for 25k. Just can’t quite get my head around it.

I’m around car auctions quite a bit, and this feels like a good analogy. I’ve seen some strange cars going for bonkers dollars, but usually they’re very very low miles stock. Not like your example.

#2824 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

The moving topper is something you should research. It was not the same as a common Dr. Who.

Cool, but the kits exactly like the prototype is 400$, and about an hour to install. I have a DW with it, and it’s cool but not double market cool.

#2830 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

5700 out the door for D&D with no topper. Come on man.

At this auction I actually expected it to go higher. If this is rich dude nostalgia buying, there’s a fairly high demographic overlap there. Also, D&D stuff is too the moon right now price wise (And annoys me the same way…)

#2832 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I agree. Does anyone really think this one auction will have any meaningful and long lasting effect on pinball prices? I don't see how it will.

Try buying a project game in the next year. Bring your 401k.

My termite ridden playboy project I picked up over a year ago is 2500 in this world.

#2936 2 years ago
Quoted from Nintendosteve:

As far as I remember the D&D pin has never been working as long as I’ve been a tech there. Also the side plastic graphics were peeling off badly. Good luck with that one.

It’s the favorite one in my lineup, but I find it painful to keep working. I really have no idea how the shooter is supposed to get the ball up the left gate ramp.

#3031 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

What’s going to happen next week? Non working games?

10k by christmas.

“Termites add vintage character!”

#3056 2 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

If they go ahead and adjust the cap gains tax rate, I wonder the effect on the price of pins. Taking a loss on a machine doesn't hurt as bad if half the losses can just offset taxes.......

Its awfully difficult to prove hobby losses are investments to the IRS.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate?tu=clnilsen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.