20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #167 Museum Update & upcoming auction Posted by chuckcasey (2 years ago)

Post #467 Rvdv offer on pick up and shipment Posted by rvdv (2 years ago)

Post #858 auction links Posted by cait001 (2 years ago)

Post #1427 Auction lots being sold on which days Posted by oliviarium (2 years ago)

Post #1533 Video stream link Posted by NPO (2 years ago)

Post #2496 live auction stream on twitch Posted by InvaderHouse (2 years ago)

Post #2810 Article about the auction on nerdist Posted by Knxwledge (2 years ago)

Post #3696 Some lot numbers with prices. Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4227 Auction results Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4230 All Pinball Machine Auction Prices Posted by bobmathuse (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#410 2 years ago
Quoted from jay:

Also, hammer prices at Captain's have never been depressed due to the buyers premiums and tax, so I don't see why that would change for this auction.

Captains games are generally consignments with lots of shill bidding to drive prices up. The owners would rather keep their items then sell for too low. This is a true “stuff’s gotta go” auction. There still could be fakes and trolls to drive things up, we’ll see.

It’ll be really interesting to see if that much stuff selling at once keeps prices reasonable…or if all the new collectors who want games + retailers who want inventory will keep prices bonkers.

#412 2 years ago
Quoted from jay:

Totally agree. If I were betting it would be on the latter but it's for sure gonna be interesting to watch.

Yeah - there’s generally one of each game, so it only takes one person who really wants that title to pay up to get it now.

#418 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

See you guys in Banning. Cash on glass wins.

I wish. I miss the old in-person only auctions. We’ll be competing with everyone. Thanks, internet!!!!

#421 2 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Exactly that double dipping. Plus no idea which games they owned, which ones were on loan, etc... Will be an interesting event to watch the bids on for sure.

There were games on loan? I thought it was all Weeks’ huge hoarde of buys from over the years.

#424 2 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

I have no idea if part of the collection was loaned to it, but not that uncommon with large collections. ReplayFX had machines which were loaned to it from players/collectors.

John bought my Austin Powers years ago - and told me about his massive storage unit collection of games & how he planned to open a pinball restaurant…I think it was a year or two later that his project turned into the museum. I’m pretty sure it’s all his stuff.

#470 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Naïve question alert, are they ethically allowed to do that? That would be like a realtor bidding on a house she is also hired to sell, just seems shady.

Hahaha, arcade auctions…ethical…you are hilarious.

Captains auctions are basically consignment sales, and sales of their own stuff. You pay what they want you to pay….they’re not true auctions like the old days.

#478 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I mean I know there are always shill bidders and such, like people bidding on their own auctions because it's cheap to just relist then again at a future auction, etc. However if a bunch of pins all of a sudden end up in Captain's inventory right after Captain's was hired to sell them off, then there's ethical questions there. For one, did they try to get the best price for the client or were they just hammered off quickly so they could acquire them? I mean does the owner of Mecum auctions bid on cars in his own auctions to add to his own collection? Perhaps that's normal and they all do it, but it just seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Oh I see. I don’t see them fake-selling the games to themselves at a low price if bids are coming in. But - I can still see them buying stuff thinking they can sell it later at their auction for a few bucks more plus auction fees (again).

#501 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Good lord. And that’s before taxes and fees? Who are these idiots paying those prices?

Maybe no one. Might be the owners of the machines bidding it up & buying it back.

This is why I think Banning Auction could still be worth checking out - no consignments/buy backs. Prices might be more real.

#511 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Anyone see the Killer Queen go for 10k with premium?
Good deal there.

How is that a good deal? I got it for $2 on Switch.

#537 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

This auction is the games in the museum, right?
Are there more games in storage needing repair/restoration?
And will those game bet auction on week 2?

My guess is they’ll need all 6 days for just what’s in the museum. The point of the auction is that they gotta get out of that building. If Weeks has no reason to get out of storage, then there’s no reason to auction storage.

4 weeks later
#786 2 years ago

I think most “normals” seeing these news stories are gonna be shocked & bounce when things aren’t going for a few hundred bucks.

#849 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Yeah, I think pretty much every single person I know has sent me the amazing news. What's funny is that they all seem to think they are giving me a news bulletin, like, "hey, did you know about this?".

Yeah, everyone who's sending it to me...I'm like "You think I didn't know? You. Are. Adorable!"

Even though this is getting a ton of attention, I still don't think "normal" people are willing to pay this much or deal with shipping....I still think deals will be rare or a fluke...but I don't think it's gonna be flooded with new wanna-be hobbyists bidding huge money. We'll see, though!

#876 2 years ago
Quoted from EMDude:

The rig is ready, they’ll go down the line in real time and have someone play each game.
[quoted image]

OMG, it's going to take forever. They might have to extend to a third weekend if they aren't gonna "Blahdedooblahalahahlablaah SOLD, NEXT..." this shit.

#889 2 years ago

At this rate, they'll have to just take bids from those there hahaha....DEALS DEALS DEALS!

#907 2 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Yeah there aren't gonna be any deals in this auction folks...

...but the Covid is on the house!

#921 2 years ago

They're going to have to add 3 more weekends at this friggin' pace. OOOPH.

I miss Super Auctions .... "bladadadadadda SOLD, bladadeeedadadedaaa SOLD, bloodoodododododoo SOLD"

...and that's how I got a Pac-Man cocktail table for $75

#924 2 years ago
Quoted from jhazen27:

not good..this is going to take forever.... maybe people will get tired of waiting and they'll be deals !! wishful thinking LOL, crazy on many levels. even at 5 min a machine thats 12 machines an hour..., and we're running at 1 pin every 20 min

Do they have a hard cutoff time, or is this thing gonna just go deep into the AM?

#939 2 years ago

Well, let's look at the bright side....this will drive up the prices of our collections.

My Tron LE will be $50k by Christmas! Buncha suckers who just sold theirs for a measly $20k! BWHAHAHAHA!

#959 2 years ago

What. A. SHIT SHOW.

#977 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...these games are not in perfect condition right? The prices seem pretty spectacular for a few of these earlier ones. At this rate I imagine the late model LEs will be like $40k.

Nah, they're just games. Not restored. Some were bought new and didn't get much play...but, these aren't museum pieces despite the place being called a museum.

#982 2 years ago
Quoted from museumofpinball:

Thanks for watching and bidding!

Just watching...

#985 2 years ago

Who the FIZNUCK would pay over $5k for WATERFUCKIN'WORLD!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

#1023 2 years ago

Sooooo...I guess this means Stern LE's will be like $50k lol

#1024 2 years ago

First BILLION gets my collection....LETS GOOOOO! lol

#1091 2 years ago

I thought this auction wouldn't have shill bidders.....

...but there has to be...no one would spend this much on these games? What's the scam?

#1104 2 years ago
Quoted from trolldownstairs:

I get that machines are worth whatever you are willing to pay for.... but geez.
I'm starting to wonder if this is a money laundering scheme, or just people with too much money and not enough sense.

I'm convinced there's something ultra shady going on here.

No way someone just randomly spends $12k+ on a fucking Rocky.

#1112 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Has to be foreign bidders + noobs who have no CLUE about pinballs. Bet they regret it when it comes time to sell one.
OR when it comes time to repair one.

Usually people who have no clue think that pins cost $500.

Something isn’t right here.

#1253 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Lots of gate keeping in this thread.

I’m not sure this is gatekeeping. It’s just shock at insane prices for shitty games.

At the end of the day, this prob makes the values of our collections go up…we’re not going to be that upset. Lol

#1378 2 years ago
Quoted from RailRider:

I paid 1400 for Power Drift at Banning Auction day 1.

When I was watching last nite, that seemed to be one of the few game prices that kinda made sense. I was like “damn, no love for Power Drift!” More obscure than Outrun, I’m sure it’s a tough game to find these days. Congrats!

#1381 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I guess video game newbees are even less informed than pinball NOOBS. They probably figure there should be some parity in pricing with pinball even though a video game is just an empty cabinet with a CPU board, power supply and monitor. In hind sight with so many people online new to this hobby, it was probably smart to auction off a bunch of pins first before the video games.
Its also nice to know my Spanish Eyes is now worth well over $2000 even though I only have $500 invested.

They’re just in their own world. Console games have been going for pinball money. Never made any sense when you can literally play the same exact game in multiple ways with a ROM. If someone wants to brag about their rare NES game in a shelf, whatever - I’m playing it on an Everdrive lol

#1405 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Isn't kinda stinky to hold the event on the 911 anniversary? People should be thinking about that 1st not Pinball.

Multitasking, bruh!

Are businesses closed today? Are you staying home all day? C’mon.

#2080 2 years ago

BTTF was my first game. Paid $300. Could barely get $700 when I sold it.

#2401 2 years ago

I’m not sure I buy the “rich newbs who don’t care & just want shit” theory. Why wouldn’t these people have just overpaid retailers or eBay if they wanted pins? Why buy an unknown condition game with no warranty for triple normal prices?

This thing just feels scammy….and after the WATA/Heritage collusion, it wouldn’t shock me if something unethical or illegal was going on here.

#2420 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball2020:

I think as it was mentioned in threads that there is a lot of corporate buying where they may or may not know the details about machines. If they want them for their arcade themed bars, projects, companies, in/out of the country, they are going to just bid and get what they want. I also think they have the resources for fixing and maintaining things and won't be shocked or rely on volunteers if they need repairs. I don't think this is the case for every sale but for some of the larger ones - maybe. I could be wrong .

Why wouldn’t these people have just ordered a container of every new Stern? Why buy ratty old DE pins for more money?!

#2423 2 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Weren't a lot of pins donated to the museum?

Why do people keep saying this? These are all
John Weeks’ purchases.

If someone donated games, they would have gone and taken them back & not let someone else profit from sales.

#2427 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball2020:

Guessing if you are going for a retro themed restaurant or somewhere you want to mix it up. Thinking tsotchkes, pictures and stuff along the lines of a Hard Rock Museum Restaurant theme. All Stern machines may not fit motif or collection.

I’m talking about people bidding $8k+ on the DEs like Star Wars, South Park, Godzilla, Jurassic Park etc. Sterns are generally the same pop culture themes - some even the same exact themes!

#2435 2 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I think you are confusing giving something away with somehow still owning it.
Lending machines, sure.
But if I give a game to someone "because they are in need" and turn around and sell it for max profit... its not my game. I can cherish my hurt feelings but what are you gonna do?

Not sure what you’re talking about, but John had been buying up/hoarding games for years before opening the museum. I can’t imagine anything was donated. He would have just bought it.

#2436 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Please show final sale prices (not hammer prices)
Cause that’s what you pay at the end
These data east are well over $10k !!!

That’s why it’s fishy. I understand rich newbs overpaying….but for DE & Sega games? At these prices? Why? There can’t be that many people who’d fight over these common mostly shitty games. It doesn’t add up.

#2905 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Well, there we go. The doctor who went for $8000. Far far above my max.....sigh

I’ll sell you mine for $7999, no fees/tax!

#2935 2 years ago

I wonder if Tim Arnold is going “hmmmmmm…” right now.

#3191 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Those hopes were dashed after the very first machine was sold. From then on it was just entertainment value watching it.

Yup, I never even logged in. I knew there was no way I was gonna bother bidding. I was thinking “maybe one of those Nintendo Red Tents would be cool for a few hundred.” LOL

#3208 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's worse than that Bob.
What about all the pins that were either donated to MoP for free, or at greatly reduced rates by people who thought they were doing a good deed for the pinball community?
What a racket.

Why do people keep saying this? Who gave them pinss? John Weeks was buying pins for decades and stashing them away in storage. He had pins & money. Who would give him anything?

#3219 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Read the post above yours

Haggling for a better deal happens with everyone.

Donating games for free? I doubt anyone did that…not hobbyists, anyway. Maybe some rando with an old game in their garage they just wanted gone.

1 week later
#4157 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

Someone got a deal on the Fix it Felix. 10.5k

Why is that a deal? It’s a fake game. Captain kept saying it was in the film. It was an animated movie lol

#4199 2 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

I feel a little dispeptic.
Rat Race $50k
MG $18.5k
What is going on?

Real games by real companies with real history are collectible.

Boxes of lights made by an irrelevant a-hole are not. 18.5k wasted by the buyer.

#4221 2 years ago

…and it ends with Goatf***ers LE, the worst game ever made, going for $17k.

LOL…thanks for the laughs, Banning Auction!

#4252 2 years ago
Quoted from howichrgelazer:

I can't speak to pricing, but I will say this auction has finally got me into the hobby. It's been something I wanted to do for a long time, but I'm finally in a place where I can actually dive into it.

Welcome to the insanity! (And fun!)

#4254 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Referring to John as a "hoarder" instead of a collector or enthusiast is fairly disrespectful.

A person can be both. I def have friends who are enthusiastic collectors, but also definitely hoarders.

#4257 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Well I have 16 and you have 23. To many people I guess we'd be in the latter group as well.

I think “hoarder” indicates the items taking over your home & life. 16 & 23 is nothing compared to the thousands of John’s games…or my friends with hundreds that take up homes & storage. The term isn’t necessarily an insult - just a word to describe a situation.

#4263 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Agree to disagree I guess. John's quality of life was's being adversely affected by his collection. I would't refer to Jay Leno a car hoarder either for the same reason.

Well, I don’t think this ultra rich men are going to be upset at someone using the word “hoarder”. Clearly, John’s QOL has just improved immensely.

3 weeks later
#4561 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

any details come out about the people that dropped this kind of coin?

I just sold my TSPP to a guy who bought 4 or 5 things from the Banning Auction. They had some things he wanted, he didn’t mind paying what he paid to get what he wanted. Perfectly nice guy who I now consider a friend in the hobby!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.