20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #167 Museum Update & upcoming auction Posted by chuckcasey (2 years ago)

Post #467 Rvdv offer on pick up and shipment Posted by rvdv (2 years ago)

Post #858 auction links Posted by cait001 (2 years ago)

Post #1427 Auction lots being sold on which days Posted by oliviarium (2 years ago)

Post #1533 Video stream link Posted by NPO (2 years ago)

Post #2496 live auction stream on twitch Posted by InvaderHouse (2 years ago)

Post #2810 Article about the auction on nerdist Posted by Knxwledge (2 years ago)

Post #3696 Some lot numbers with prices. Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4227 Auction results Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4230 All Pinball Machine Auction Prices Posted by bobmathuse (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#265 2 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Late to the thread, but as someone who has tried to open a legitimate location in multiple cities/jurisdictions in SoCal, I could tell you it is easier to open a pot selling full nude strip club across the street from an elementary school than it is to open a location with more than 5 pinball machines.

That's America right there.

2 weeks later
#485 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Or True Barn Find, Only 4376 Original Plays

Or Texas/AZ/CA car it's entire life.

3 weeks later
#613 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The couple of titles that I was hoping for were both EMs and are not on the list. They might have gotten poached in pre-sales to insiders or they were there on loan. Speaking of which, I heard the "friend" prices to insiders were stupidly high, so very few games got poached before the auction. Considering they want to clear the place out, I don't see any reference to reserve prices and I am assuming there are no reserves.
All that said, I still severely doubt there will be any good deals on pins. Maybe on vids though...

Which EMs did you hear that got poached early?

#689 2 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

Cyclopes: $8K. Harder to find than the better playing, more fun Andromeda. Still a really interesting game which people tend not to part with once they get one.
Andromeda: $7K. In my opinion this title is going to continue to increase in value as more people realize that it is one of the best playing games of its era.

I agree with this statement. Maybe not what they will fetch, but on the playability. Andromeda is one of the best SS I have ever played; it should be right in the mix with Quicksilver, Dragonfist, and Stargazer.

Cyclopes when dialed in is great as well, but not as good as the Andromeda. Still much better than most early SS. Depending on the condition, these two could fetch more.

1 week later
#1167 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Is it possible that online bidders are trolling this auction and have no intention of actually following through with payment?

Doubt it, buyers are watching all over the world.

#1185 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Everyone who's so suspicious because they can't believe a bunch of people with lots of money are just buying toys they want hasn't been paying attention to the world.
This auction was advertised around the whole country. NYTimes, NBC, mainstream press. These buyers might not be players, they likely don't care about hunting for deals or dealing with eBay. They have money, the auction is a known quantity with a story behind it, they're spending cash on themes that appeal to them. It's that simple.
Someone was a big Rocky fan I'm sure.

Agree, and more people than ever have a shit load of $. Have to spend it somehow.

#1190 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

And remember..... more people in this hobby is a good thing! I'm sure a smore people enter prices will go down *snicker*.

It IS great for when I decide to cash out.

#1209 2 years ago

CC EM didn't go as high as I thought it would.

#1380 2 years ago

The classic Sterns go up tonight, will be interesting to see what they pull.

#1543 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Fiber service is usually only available in populated areas and as long as you're not too far from a main road.

I assume you are talking of fiber to the home, and just not transport delivery, as most of that is fiber now.

#1546 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Correct--there's a difference between backbone fiber and "last mile" fiber that ends up at a home or business.

Yeah, I know.

FTTH is more prevalent now, but it is a more expensive installation of course.

#1552 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The last time I was involved with fiber, there was a $1500 installation fee, but that can sometimes be waived depending on the length of the contract you sign.

I was talking of the provider installation to a development, not the SFU/tap installation.

#1557 2 years ago

Only 35 people in attendance?

#1568 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

But boy did Dragon'sLair make money. Coin boxes overfilling and all. For about three weeks, then all the laser disc players started failing. Distributors quoted three weeks to repair (under warranty). But, we could go to a Pioneer service center and buy a replacement laser & reader on the spot or with a three day turn-around. For $700.00 (1983 dollars), which we did as they were raking that in within a week. Within two months of placement in a location,, the game made only as much as an old Galaxian or Pac-Man. rive Then Space Ace came out and didn't make half of Dragon's Lair. Plus it cost $800.00 more. But it did have a better laser disc player. Unlike M*A*C*H*3, which we started sending back as they failed. Distributor eventually said just return the Control board and Eproms. They asked us to throw the cabinets into our dumpsters. The sit-down ones took up a lot of space.
All of us techs got a free laser disc player out of the deal. They worked great in a home environment.

We played the shit out of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. Surprised to hear it didn't do as well.

#1572 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

Found a better use for it.
[quoted image]

I never saw someone beat DL2. Hard f$%^g game.

#1598 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I had to PAY someone to take my Time Traveler several years back. It started in Minty Condition, before
Rodents got inside.
I cant imagine what that would go for at Auction today!
(or who has the room!)[quoted image]

I used to play that one as well. Wasn't impressed with it as much as DL/Space Ace.

Bet it weighed a ton.

#1604 2 years ago

4k+ for DL?

#1608 2 years ago

I have never seen firefox outside of when it first came out.

#1622 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Oh lord that is a conversion Space Ace. 3300.

Meaning that it isn't an original?

#1625 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Fun game. Didn't to real great for me. One day no picture so I open the port on the back of the cabinet with the game turned on. If a glow on the neck of the monitor then that is good and problem lies elsewhere.
Stuck my nose in there. Had an open flame on the monitor chassis board. End of story.
LTG : )

Yikes! Was it a laser disc based game as well?

#1634 2 years ago

On their site, the window for bidding is lagging behind...anybody else see this?

Edit: It caught up.

#1636 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

There were some Space Ace games made in an original inverted cabinet, and some were made in a Dragon's Lair cabinet. The back panel in original non conversion games have the difficulty level lights. That one did not, meaning it was a converted Dragon's Lair.

The one I used to play did have the skill level lights - thanks for the information. Interesting.

#1641 2 years ago

"easy fix, take home a piece of history"....

lol

#1649 2 years ago

I see a disc of Tron coming up - that will be interesting.

#2221 2 years ago

"all the fire stations in the country have this machine"....

#2242 2 years ago

7200 for WW???

#2267 2 years ago

Hope no one was hoping to get the Bad Cats!

#2276 2 years ago

Bad Cats is one of the weakest Sys 11 players.

#2376 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I don’t know what happened but I guess the whole thing halted for some reason. Only 2 more on my interest list went through.
Xenon for $4900 hammer or over $6,000 as was pointed out is ridiculous. You can get a nice one for not much than half that all day long.
Fathom for $6500 hammer is the steal of the auction so far, relatively speaking. That’s around $8,000. That is not totally crazy, that could even be considered somewhat reasonable. Still, I recently saw the chance to buy a very nice example locally for $6500. So, still too high in my book.

And add the Flash Gordon price....the Bally's are telling...the didn't go to where I thought they would. Figured the Classic Stern's would hit the outer limit, now I'm not so sure. I've got two I'm going to go for when it starts up.

Does anybody know how soon you have to send in payment? Assume it's 24 hours.

#2487 2 years ago

Oh boy 4k+ for Nugent - Sterns are going to hit the mark.

#2511 2 years ago

QS went cheap. Thought it would get to 10k....

#2520 2 years ago
Quoted from Asmig:

And himself. Can't blame them, doubt you'll ever see an event like this ever again. Dave for salesman of the year.

He is busting his ass...how much sleep is he getting? 6 hours?

#2529 2 years ago

lol - yeah - just sayin.

#2538 2 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

I actually picked this one up as it didn't seem THAT out of line, and didn't experience anything fishy, I was certainly not expecting the bid to hold

Congrats!

#2558 2 years ago

9k+ for a Monopoly - damn.

#2566 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Game Plan time!!! The real rarities

I bet Cyclopees and Andromeda only get to 7k due to theme....

#2570 2 years ago

Yep, Cyclopees went cheaper than it should have.

#3305 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Yeah, that sounds familiar. There were several where my well-considered max. bid got left in the dust by the time opening bids got going. With one EM (which was never really the recipient of particularly favorable reviews, although I did not agree with them) I even doubled what had been the max., but that still wound up being laughable next to what actually went down. There was one early SS that I could have won, but I dropped the ball during the bidding. I'd never been in an auction like this, online. If I'd played it smarter, I would have made some practice, no-chance-of-succeeding bids on previous lots I did not care about, in order to be more confident that I'd gotten the hang of their auction procedures. That's my fault.

I prioritized what I wanted, and then made several back up scenarios based on what happened with my priority. There were lower priority items that I was watching that came up first, but stuck to my plan and went after my number 1. I won it, but then had to go to plan C the rest of the way (which was getting nothing else). It worked.

You have to have a plan with these things and set your expectations low.

#3309 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I've done that. Passed on some things I would have liked to get, especially since they went real cheap. And then the item I want goes astronomical and I don't get it.
That plan has always saved me money.
LTG : )

Yeah - that was a risk, but there were a few that came in after that I had a backup. Bottom line is my first priority was a game that I would likely never get a chance to get ever again. It didn't get to the stratosphere...

#3358 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

To emphasize the point, this auction is an abomination, I've now passed over a half dozen pins offered at very reasonable prices.

No it isn't. Many rare pins are now going in private collections where in turn they will be sold again.

#3364 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Not sure that's an argument - many rare pins were sold to people who have no clue and now they are no longer in the pinball realm? How do you know they will be sold again? At reasonable prices for the titles, not the nightmare of this auction? There's no way to spin it.

How do you know they have no clue? I bought one and I would like to think I have a clue (my wife my disagree), but you don't know me as well as my wife does.

What is a reasonable price for a rare pin? What you can afford?

I think you are projecting your frustrations.

#3374 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Oh, I'm sure I'm projecting a bit. I know they have no clue by the prices, and the discussions here by people way more knowledgeable than me. No rhyme or reason, just tossing money at everything. I'm speaking on the whole, you would be the exception, and you were willing to pay way above (guessing, since I do not know what you bought).
As far as what's reasonable for a rare pin - there are data points for everything out there. No need to guess, we already know the ballpark.

What is interesting is that the truly rare games didn't go for as much as I thought...outside of Stargazer...Quicksilver, Spirit, Andromeda, Cyclopes and especially DragonFist were in the ball park. DragonFist was the one I really was surprised on - thought that would have reached 10k.

Even the rare EMs like C37, Jacks to Open, Buckaroo, etc....were not too bad.

#3386 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I wanted Cosmic Princess and Eclipse off that rare list. Not even close to real. But I agree with your assessment of those. But then you get to an EM - Bronco? odd

Bronco and Big Foot were bizarre, as was Cosmic Princess, which isn't even a Stern game, and a good player.

#3387 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

I might have bought the Blue Note for some semi-reasonable price -- nothing to do with its rarity, either. Most of the user reviews that I've seen for Blue Note were not especially favorable. (And the EMs hold a minority interest within the hobby, anyway.) I'd be surprised if many people knew what it was. Even more so, sight unseen. It's just that after playing it in tournament, some of its design peculiarities clicked for me. Sometimes a game that's different in certain ways will have that effect.

The Blue Note pre bidders jumped it pretty high right off the bat. That was one I was watching hard...it went to 6k right away and bounced up another 1500 rather quickly.

The other wedges in that same era all were not too bad - of course with fees you can still get them cheaper elsewhere.

#3390 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I just talked to Nitro Pinball, they said the Godzilla LE's are already sold out. So the whole "stop paying those prices" isn't going to happen this time around

And this is the frustrating thing about Pinside now...all these people bitching about the prices and "I'm out" don't really understand what is happening. There are a lot of people with a shit ton of $ out there, otherwise these LE's wouldn't sell out and Banning would not have happened.

#3400 2 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Blue Note is among my favorite EMs, and in my top two wedgeheads, along with Strange World.
Rock Star is the add-a-ball version of Blue Note. But, because Blue Note, the replay version, includes a free ball feature, it's really the whole package.
I find John Osborne's asymmetrical designs to produce the most satisfying shot vectors. Ripping the spinners on Blue Note is great fun and, in my opinion, this music-themed game is worth the do-re-mi.

How does Blue Note play compare to Rock Star? They are the same game correct?

#3435 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Pretty much agree with all you said here. No way I could have built up my collection at today’s prices. “Back in the day” I was buying more than 10 SYS11s for way less than the price of the 1x Banning Bad Cats. Lol!
Indeed - good time to cash it all up while the market is hot.
Enlist an auction company with online bidding, create some FOMO with some clever marketing, and stand back and watch the fun.
rd

We all cash out some day. I have about 10 more years and then I'll really shrink the collection down. Still need something to do though once I retire.

#3439 2 years ago
Quoted from Gameseum:

The money will be banked by then and the guy is basically out of the community so not like he has a reputation to uphold. They will probably be huge buyers' remorse and complaining, but will he care? No.
Not that he necessarily should either. These buyers are making their own "interesting" decisions and choosing to do so with little inspection.

...and even more people will be happy with their purchase and won't have buyer's remorse.

#3463 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

It wasn't an auction, but a warehouse sale. It was a fun read at the time:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-sell-a-warehouse-of-arcade-games-and-pins

Look at all the bad advice given in that thread. Wow.

#3489 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

can you imagine what the krull pin would have went for in this auction? Probably 100K

How about if they had a King Kong?

#3543 2 years ago

It will be interesting to see how this week fares.

My single game that I purchased during round one is almost at my door.

#3546 2 years ago

I'll upload a pic when it is in its new home.

#3553 2 years ago
Quoted from justyn:

I don't know a lot of guys who wouldn't be
Ignorance is bliss as they say. He got what he wanted and is happy. If he doesn't know that he overpaid then good for him. We don't need to burst his bubble.

Maybe he got a million dollar payout or bonus, and doesn't care.

#3648 2 years ago

It's 13,500 now - bet it hits 16k.

#3652 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Now my gues is $20K. They are still talking about it.

You may be right.

#3658 2 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

9k+ for a goldeneye, hobby is dead

Holy shit.

#3667 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Non working Torpedo starts at $3500 internet bid. Oops, internet bidder didn't see not working. Now sold for $3,300. Good luck finding parts.

I had one and parts were not too hard to come by.

#3674 2 years ago

That’s why I have a parts game for mine

Hope you didn't destroy a complete game.

#3676 2 years ago

Lol so this is just a junk pile of all broken games????
Holy shit TX doesn’t even have any boards?!?? Sold for 2.6k
BRUH
[quoted image]

Eh - TX Sectors are not falling out of trees. Boards can be had.

#3947 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

IT'S A BALL BOWLER WTF WHY ARE YOU BIDDING 15K

easy dude - it ain't your money.

#3950 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I tried to ride the snake and failed

Ride the snake?

#4471 2 years ago

That was a hell of a collection.

3 weeks later
#4586 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

The red food dye is worse that the pounds of refined sugar they drink???

Red dye is extremely harmful. It should not even be on the market.

10 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate?tu=Methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.