20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #167 Museum Update & upcoming auction Posted by chuckcasey (2 years ago)

Post #467 Rvdv offer on pick up and shipment Posted by rvdv (2 years ago)

Post #858 auction links Posted by cait001 (2 years ago)

Post #1427 Auction lots being sold on which days Posted by oliviarium (2 years ago)

Post #1533 Video stream link Posted by NPO (2 years ago)

Post #2496 live auction stream on twitch Posted by InvaderHouse (2 years ago)

Post #2810 Article about the auction on nerdist Posted by Knxwledge (2 years ago)

Post #3696 Some lot numbers with prices. Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4227 Auction results Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4230 All Pinball Machine Auction Prices Posted by bobmathuse (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EStroh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2180 2 years ago

I was a tech at the MOP and was there the last tech day. I was also there yesterday. As someone that spent almost all my time in the Williams / Bally area, this is about to get real interesting for me.

#2215 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I'm getting in on Fire, hopefully it won't go too crazy

Phantom tilt issue on that Fire pin. FYI

#2219 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Hey EStroh do you know anything about the Blackwater 100 coming up?

no, sorry.

#2224 2 years ago
Quoted from srt-8:

From memory the plastic buildings in FIRE were in good condition at least (as they are VERY hard to find replacements)

The cabinet is pretty nice too. Unusual for the Champagne edition.

#2231 2 years ago

Comet: Somebody is being memorized by the bad LED job.

#2241 2 years ago

Whirlwind: Best condition of all the system 11's at the MOP
also has a Diamond Plate playfield, that he didn't mention.

#2246 2 years ago

Actually Marlyn Taxi's are quite common.

Quoted from Asmig:

It was a beautiful machine but 7k no way

Agree, I was planning on bidding on this one even though I already own one. It was that nice.

but at $7k? no.

#2254 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

For every 3 or 4 Marylins I see 1 Lola.

Supposedly Williams told the Monroe estate that they only made 100, so that they could minimize their liability for using her image. In fact, they make MUCH MORE than 100. Maybe half were actually Marlyn's.

Quoted from oldbaby:

Really? That's odd. Are you sure you don't mean that the other way around?

#2269 2 years ago

Wow on the Bad Cats.

#2289 2 years ago

"coolest integrated topper is on the Strange Science".

I can think of a few dozen better. WH2O, FT, Pinbot, etc etc

#2294 2 years ago
Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Really want another Radical too… not that bad

Bubbling mylar on the inserts on that one. It affected game play.

#2305 2 years ago
Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Mine had mylar removed so a lot of art obliterated, plays good though my brother has it now so still a possibility

I've pulled mylar off of a WW, F14, HS, Dr Dude and 2 Xenons. The two Xenons were a mess to remove and required a new hard top. The others turned out fine. You never know...

#2315 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Fathom $16K bid ... Over or Under?

I would say that if you could see them in person the price would be adjusted accordingly. But after the last two days... who knows.

#2387 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Fathom for $6500 hammer is the steal of the auction so far, relatively speaking. That’s around $8,000. That is not totally crazy, that could even be considered somewhat reasonable. Still, I recently saw the chance to buy a very nice example locally for $6500. So, still too high in my book.

I worked on that Fathom during the pandemic. Some of the games at the museum are actually in good shape. Some not so much.
However, If you were to ask me a week ago "what was the best pin (that I worked on) that was in the worst shape", I would say Fathom. It actually depressed me that it was not better cared for prior to making it into the collection. Hopefully it is still holding together when it arrives at it's new home.

#2407 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Or ….
$9000 for Whirlwind[quoted image]

That WW was in the best shape of all the System 11 games. Super clean, very rare Diamond Plate playfield, spotless if you were to open it up. I was going to bid on it for it's condition alone, but $7,200 hammer price? No.

#2417 2 years ago

The only thing that makes sense to me is that there's someone in Dubai that owns a gold plated Lambo bidding against a guy in the UAE with an empty game room bidding against the actual Sultan of Brunei. All three have shipping containers waiting at the Port of Long Beach just waiting....

#2438 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not sure what you’re talking about, but John had been buying up/hoarding games for years before opening the museum. I can’t imagine anything was donated. He would have just bought it.

I think I heard that Kenny (who has a working relationship with John) had a pin there. If that's true it would be a rare exception. For all intents and purposes, John owns all the games.

#2445 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I almost forgot I had another thought as I was falling asleep last night in the middle of the action.
Why don’t they have a Supreme pinball machine? And what would that sell for??? Eleven billiony dollars?

Eleven billiony would be the hammer price. Figure 13 billiony, seven hundred fifty milliony after taxes and fees.

#2453 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

You're saying they inflate the prices and expect a lot of people to not actually pay what they bid, and then sell them the next time they have an auction?

I've heard that Captains has machines that they own in their own auctions. If they don't go high enough they just bid on them themselves and put them back into a future auction. I'm sure they occasionally "bid up" an item as well if they think they can increase the closing price. I don't see either of those happening here. They stand to make more for charging 18% on a VERY inflated price than risking being stuck with an overpriced item.

... but I could be wrong

#2531 2 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

I actually picked this one up as it didn't seem THAT out of line

You'll probably want a new Playfield for it. Mirco has one.

#2543 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

What the Hell is this "We're sorry, the auctioneer gave the floor priority." business ?
Does this mean they're disallowing online bids ?

I'm sure that means that two bids came in at the same time for the same amount.

#2714 2 years ago

On the last Captains auction a Black Rose sold for $3,500 as I recall

#2724 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

Anyone that's actually seen these. What's the typical condition of the pins here? Do they get them in, run a restoration and put them on the floor or are they just typically buying decent looking examples and plopping them on the floor with no changes?

Most of the pins are just player's condition. A few are really nice. None of them get "restored" - just repaired

#2779 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

My AFM has red ramps, eyes on the martians, pinbits strobe, ColorDMD, cliffys, and a new non-Micro PF. Mine just went to like..I don't know...$15K ?

Your fault for buying such a crappy game when you should have bought the highly desired BTTF!

#2785 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

I was wondering how the bids go from a $100 up to only $500 a pop. Who choose that. I know at some auctions you just yell out what you want to pay for it, not really what the auctioneer is trying to get for the next bid?
Because bids going $500 increments, but why not let it just inch out at $100. But Captain had a big complaint about some game last night that went to $9000 with $100 bid increments.

I'm sure he's trying to speed things up. We're still working on pins that were supposed to have been sold last night.

#3042 2 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:to be fair, he wouldn't have if he looked at the pictures ;p

I played that machine Friday - and was planning on bidding on it. It needs a new playfield to finish it off, but it's in overall good shape.

#3343 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Easy fix.. ....Right.
It took my friends and I a year and a half to track down the issue with his Haunted House.

And there are some games that I swear were possessed, and kept coming up with new issues. I can think of one System 11C game that we could never get to work.

#3345 2 years ago

Spotted at the Port of Long Beach today

Pinmover 1 (resized).jpgPinmover 1 (resized).jpg
#3413 2 years ago
Quoted from EStroh:

Spotted at the Port of Long Beach today[quoted image]

Ok not what I was originally thinking. I visited a guy that has been doing pin repair / restoration for years in the LA area and he's been contacted by two "winners" to go through their newly acquired pins from the auction. Both new owners were not avid pinheads, but were caught up in the fervor of the auction. As a MOP tech, I'm aware of the condition of both machines and I've been "under the hood " of each one. One was a decent buy, the other would have been my example of a pin that looks good on the outside, but I wouldn't want own it after looking at the inside (and it sold for $11,000).

Maybe all of the machines weren't won by whales or heading overseas. I was sitting behind the lot #1 winner on Friday, and the happy couple didn't strike me to be pinheads either. They just seemed to want something to sit in their game room as a "museum piece" that they could enjoy. Hats off to them.

In any case, although I won't be able to justify spending $ on pins I was really hoping to get after working for several weeks to develop spreadsheets using price levels, market value, game condition, etc to come up with a bid list (like most people), I've really enjoyed the comments / humor of everyone that has been contributing on this topic ... which really became more of a chat room last weekend.

Cheers to John Weeks for sharing his collection with all of us and providing so much entertainment ... whether intentional or not.

#3466 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

A few more pics from my visit yesterday.
For posterity.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sad.

I think I will forever think of any pinball machine as to where it was located in the museum.
For example:
Early Stern is back row center, left side across from the Gotlieb SS pins which chronologically ends with Barb Wire.
System 11 is center row just past the gap, left side.
WPC 95 is center row North, Williams on the left (starting with MM), Bally on the right (starting at CC). Then followed by WPC S and WPC 89 pins in production date order heading South ending in T2 (Williams side) and Dr Dude (Bally side).

Etc etc. The way they were organized are forever burned into my brain that way.

#3468 2 years ago
Quoted from Karnov:

I took a video walk around before they starting moving things around for sale. I collecting what I can and will put it up on archive.org. If anyone has anything (picture, video, etc), and would like it archives forever, please PM me.

I took this quick video right after the doors opened on Friday for INDISC 2019

1 week later
#3717 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

$5900
LTG : )

That's the only Williams / Bally WPC era machine that we could never get to work.
Ever.
After 4 years of trying.

So someone paid $5,900 for arguably the worst WPC title made... that doesn't even work. Fun times!

#3793 2 years ago
Quoted from dscapo:

$20 in binary

That's actually correct. Impressive

#3850 2 years ago

Funhouse down again. Some things never change.

#3866 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

If you can't beat the hell out of these prices for equivalent -- or better -- condition titles, some rarities and LEs excluded, then you're not even trying.

Agreed, but that T2 was probably in the best overall shape (inside and out) of any on that row.

#3875 2 years ago

It's been bugging me - listening to Chris and Dave for the last few weeks - they remind me of something and I couldn't put my finger on it. Chris is the showman making outrageous statements, and Dave "dealing with him" as the knowledgeable expert that is constantly getting over-run.

Then I got it! Chris is Fred Willard from Best In Show!.

#4053 2 years ago
Quoted from illudiumQ36:

This is like deja Vu with the classic car market. Rich dudes reliving their childhoods, come in and ruin the market for the average Joe. Wonder what's next?

Become a rich dude. Problem solved

#4140 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Who else was blocked from bidding? I wanna let em know they made it into the exclusive club

Quoted from Coindork:

Cool, enjoy your popcorn.

Ok kids, on behalf of everyone else here why don't you take this off line and just PM each other for awhile.

#4251 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

My theory is this split up a large collection nobody had a chance at any game prior because creating a museum is a good way to cover for hoarding (he had NIB games unpackaged for cyring out load) might be a good thing because of prices. Several buyers will get tired of their new games that need work and will try to resale in a year, maybe a few years. These will sit until the seller realizes they will never get their money back, and maybe prices self correct.

The NIB box games were ordered prior to the decision to liquidate, and were intended to be set up in the new location in Palm Springs and open to the public... a deal which all fell through a couple months ago.

Referring to John as a "hoarder" instead of a collector or enthusiast is fairly disrespectful.

#4255 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

A person can be both. I def have friends who are enthusiastic collectors, but also definitely hoarders.

Well I have 16 and you have 23. To many people I guess we'd be in the latter group as well.

In any case, I was a tech all the way up to the last day and was happy to be a part of John's "collection".

#4258 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think “hoarder” indicates the items taking over your home & life. 16 & 23 is nothing compared to the thousands of John’s games…or my friends with hundreds that take up homes & storage. The term isn’t necessarily an insult - just a word to describe a situation.

Agree to disagree I guess. John's quality of life was's being adversely affected by his collection. I would't refer to Jay Leno as a car hoarder either for the same reason.

#4262 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

And there must be more than on this list. .

There were a group of pins that we couldn't get working for the move to Palm Springs. Those were put in a separate area over the last year and only a few of those were placed into the auction. I can think of Corvette, a second (non LE) Black Knight, a Gottlieb Car Hop, etc, etc. that were missing. I'm sure those will all be actioned later, but I wouldn't expect many of them to fire up.

1 week later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EStroh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate?tu=EStroh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.