20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #167 Museum Update & upcoming auction Posted by chuckcasey (2 years ago)

Post #467 Rvdv offer on pick up and shipment Posted by rvdv (2 years ago)

Post #858 auction links Posted by cait001 (2 years ago)

Post #1427 Auction lots being sold on which days Posted by oliviarium (2 years ago)

Post #1533 Video stream link Posted by NPO (2 years ago)

Post #2496 live auction stream on twitch Posted by InvaderHouse (2 years ago)

Post #2810 Article about the auction on nerdist Posted by Knxwledge (2 years ago)

Post #3696 Some lot numbers with prices. Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4227 Auction results Posted by HighVoltage (2 years ago)

Post #4230 All Pinball Machine Auction Prices Posted by bobmathuse (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If it's a money crunch... I dunno... maybe sell some assets (aka pinball machines) DURING THE HOTEST PINBALL MARKET EVER SEEN? seems like a no brainer doesn't it?

I don't know how you expect them to make do with only two Rescue 911s!!!

In all seriousness, if one thing the past year has taught me is a what a pain in the ass maintaining a huge collection of pinball machines seems to be. After losing the PAPA collection this one going tits up would be a huge stake through the heart of the hobby...hope they can find a way out of what looks like a big mess currently.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from jay:

I'm not sure it's like that exactly. More like a stake through the heart of having a massive, all encompassing collection of games. The "hobby" if anything, is expanding exponentially. Every day it seems like another home collector or public arcade is entering the market and fighting tooth and nail for every last WPC title or classic Bally that's not $9000.

Yeah, I was being a drama queen...but it would still be bad.

Tons of people are getting exposed to these games in the large locations and deciding they want in. That would definitely affect some of that.

And then...the bubble would burst?!?!

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

We are focused on overcoming the unforeseen increase in TI prices, delays caused by permitting, and many other moving parts and variables by:
(in order of priority)
1. Finding a major sponsor to assist with relocation to the old Desert Sun Newspaper building (~77,000 usable sqft)
2. Find an alternate location for MOP to operate.
3. A location to store the games until the dust settles and things change.
4. Sell the entire collection to a single entity who would maintain the Museum of Pinball.
Facts. Current location is 44,000 sqft with 1200+ games on free play. We have another 1000 games in storage. Total of ~2200. There are about 780 pins and 1420 vids. We own nearly every pinball machine ever made (post wood rails). We know which pins we don't have. We have all Stern LEs, we have every JJP, every Spooky, every American, etc. We have Magic Girl and Big Bang Bar, for example. The video game collection is larger and more unique. The current location can no longer accommodate the quantity of games. The Museum of Pinball Board of Directors are considering the above priorities on a daily bases. The logistics of managing, relocating, storing, selling, etc. such a large collection is a difficult and challenging task. The currently building is owned by the MOP entity and is not being sold, its being leased to a new entity. The MOP has too many games to be on coin drop. We have about 2 months to be out of the current location in Banning, CA.
If you know someone/entity who can help with items 1, 2, 3 or 4 please PM me. Serious enquires only. Thanks.
Chuck Casey
Curator - The Museum of Pinball
p.s. On behalf of the staff and Board of Directors of the Museum of Pinball, thank you to all our past and present volunteers and supporters of the Museum of Pinball. Thank you to all our past guests and patrons. I hope to see everyone in the future.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So two months left for a so far unknown angel investor, sponsor, or benefactor to swoop in with millions of dollars and save the show?

Ok who’s gonna step up here?

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from mrboboto:

It's not like selling games is a guaranteed quick win, and with 2200 games selling even a fraction is a LOT of work. So I think y'all are underestimating the amount of work, and also the impact that's likely to have when the clock is already ticking.

Correct, the clock is ticking, as they have less than two months now according to them to come up with a solution.

Selling 2200 games is gonna take way more than two months, unless they give them away. It seems like PAPA took over six months to liquidate their (much smaller) collection.

Seems like they've painted themselves into a bit of a corner.

1 week later
#123 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Whatever happens, don't let this go the way of PAPA. There were many people who would have helped out to keep PAPA/pinburgh going, and instead it was closed down without even the opportunity given for the public to help.
There are many in the pinball hobby who don't want to see us lose another public collection of this magnitude.

The owner has already asked the general public (you!) for help, and made clear the help he needs, so nothing is stopping you from doing what he's asked to help save the collection within a month. The simple and easy ways you can help are:

Quoted from chuckcasey:

1. Finding a major sponsor to assist with relocation to the old Desert Sun Newspaper building (~77,000 usable sqft)
2. Find an alternate location for MOP to operate.
3. A location to store the games until the dust settles and things change.

Well there ya go! Make it happen. Don't take too long though please time is short.

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

That might be the case but you know what would have made them more money than they were getting? Letting the Museum of Pinball be open more frequently

That arcade could be open 24/7/365 and it a noticeable dent in the money weed is gonna bring in.

#191 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

One of the chief concerns was the unexpected costs of the Palm Springs location, was it not?

It's kind of a silly game of gotcha you are playing.

Nobody claimed they couldn't personally afford anything, or claimed to be driving a '77 Chevy Nova. Not sure what you are trying to prove here.

What kind of car they have or how much money they have isn't really relevant.

#196 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Sorry to hear museum is done
Great times
Those are not his cars by the way
Lambo is mine

You own a Lambo?!?!

Therefore you are personally obligated to financially support the move and maintenance of the Museum of Pinball collection for perpetuity!

#200 2 years ago

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 6 figure car with a bumper sticker on it before!!

No shooter lane cliffys for this guy I bet !!

#219 2 years ago
Quoted from Crans:

I recall hearing about crack babies in the 80's but never knew they actually lived long enough to use a keyboard.
If you knew just one of the hundreds of people in this hobby that actually matter or 1/10 of what MOP is or was you'd be singing a different tune.
Where in the world do you get your information from?

He found a picture of one of the owners sitting in somebody else's Lamborgini.

Someone call the feds!!!!

#238 2 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I’ve never done an auction before but I’m definitely interested in buying several machines. How long do I have to pay and what forms of payment are accepted. Is there a fee over the gavel price. How long do I have to remove a machine I win?

I can answer one question: You pay immediately. Auctioneers are not patient folks.

It's quite possible they'll require your payment info before you can bid on the auction.
You know, like when you bid on a 3.5 star hotel on Priceline.

2 weeks later
#490 2 years ago

Auctions stink. You end up tacking on 20-25 percent in taxes and fees - and no matter how good you are at math, your brain still has trouble comprehending the hammer price.

The main advantage here are some rare games (though who knows if all that stuff is gonna be for sale) and of course one-stop shopping if you are looking to seriously beef up your collection.

I'll be watching out of curiosity for sure but I'm staying out of the fray on this one!

1 month later
#1016 2 years ago

I’m just glad this auction is finally happening so randos will stop texting me about it.

#1034 2 years ago

My big takeaway on this:

PAPA fucked up pretty badly not handling it this way. Probably left tens of thousands of dollars on the table. Probably more.

#1039 2 years ago

Scorpion just sold for $4,000.

Papa sold theirs for $900. I almost bought it.

#1044 2 years ago

I’m mostly curious to see if this runs out of gas.

It’s obviously not pinball people bidding these games up. It’s crazy civilians who don’t realize what “market prices” are and also can’t comprehend the huge difference between hammer price and actual price.

I wonder if this continues through the weekend. It could be the whales get satiated day 1 on $4000 comets and scorpions and $3000 Roached EM projects.

Could the pinball auction bubble burst?!

#2686 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Um I just bid 5700 on Jetsons
Is that good?

So $7000 after fees?

No. Not good.

#2704 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

And Captain couldn't even say why he liked owning it

I like how you shoot the ball in the guys nuts and he screams OWWWWWW!

Killer game! I’ll bid $4000.

#2706 2 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

What would a fair price have been under normal circumstances for Alvin G Soccer Ball?

Terrible game. $1500 or less.

#2721 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

Some of these prices I keep thinking $1k over market isn't terrible, all assuming it's in great condition? But then I always forget the ~26% fee/tax markup at the end of it.
Anyone that's actually seen these. What's the typical condition of the pins here? Do they get them in, run a restoration and put them on the floor or are they just typically buying decent looking examples and plopping them on the floor with no changes?

Auctions are amazing in that no matter the knowledge, the human brain simply cannot comprehend tacking On 25 percent to a hammer price.

It’s an amazing case of human psychology study.

#2922 2 years ago

Guys I’ll sell you [whatever game just sold for a crazy price at banning auction] for the low price of [ten percent less than crazy auction price]!

Any takers?!?!?

#2995 2 years ago
Quoted from EMDude:

These bidders don't know 60's wedge heads. Flip a card and Spin a card going for same as Cross Town and Buckaroo, both much better pins with iconic back box animation.

Hmm. It’s almost as if the people bidding aren’t “pinball people” and are instead civilians.

#3052 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Sounds like they backed out somehow, or were not legitimate bids?
With so many lots, you got to expect a few dropouts. Technical or otherwise.
Yes, I got the Stern 9 Ball.

Is there a scheduled day/time for pickup or did you haul it hone today? Congrats! Awesome game.

#3184 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

For those that bought a machine how does it work next? Do we receive an invoice then have 5 days to move the machine? I bought one yesterday but haven't received any bill, and if I check invoices nothing shows up
thanks

They do not let you bid on these auctions without already having your credit card info and signature.

The lucky buyers were charged as soon as they won their prize.

We’ve been told buyers have 5 days to pick up the game or have someone do it for them.

#3211 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why do people keep saying this? Who gave them pinss? John Weeks was buying pins for decades and stashing them away in storage. He had pins & money. Who would give him anything?

Read the post above yours

#3213 2 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

couldnt agree with you more...
to add to that all of the volunteers that did endless amounts of work for free... for the good of the community... sorry but this is bullshit

I will disagree with this line of thinking.

Never donate your possessions or time and expect anything back. That’s what “donating” or “volunteering” means. If you aren’t “getting” enough out of the simple act of volunteering or donating, do not do it; you’ll only be setting yourself up for bitterness or resentment later on.

What do you want weeks to do? Start mailing out checks? That’s not how it works. I would assume the “volunteers” got something for their money; private time on that collection, or other warm feelies for helping share this collection with the world. Any post-auction grousing (and I haven’t heard any yet from any of them) would be extremely petty.

#3243 2 years ago
Quoted from dsupica:

That is not true. I bought two games ---i did give my credit card information ---but I was not charged yet.
So I was not charged as soon as I won.

That seems insane to me, and unlike any other auction I’ve participated in.

If ANY auction is set up for hundreds of people to have buyer’s remorse and Change their mind it’s this one.

#3244 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I remember the "Go Fund Me" that was used to get the MOP stated.
I think there should be a complete refund.

No.

Participating in a go fund me is an idiot tax. You pay some moocher in a go fund me, you do not deserve your money back regardless of circumstances.

Go fund me remorse is almost as bad as begging strangers for money.

#3318 2 years ago

It still boggles my mind that they are sending out invoices instead of charging credit cards.

Is that really confirmed?!?! Maybe it’s just for “friends of the museum?”

If that’s really true, there’s gonna be tens of thousands of dollars of bid welchers on this as people sober up / tell their wives. I seriously
Cannot comprehend them running the auction this way.

#3321 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

People who have that kind of money don’t have wives that would care about that. -or- they don’t have wives

Ha true. But they still change their minds.

Auctions do NOT want people to have the option to change their minds. Why take the risk with the “honor system?” Trust me, the auction business is not built on trust.

Seems bizarre to me. Just wanted to get a few more folks to confirm that’s indeed how it’s operating. Maybe I’ll bid some games up in a couple weeks and not pay, just to watch heads explode at a $20,000 Rescue 911.

#3328 2 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

You paid $12k for a bad cats?!

Now’s not the time for second guessing.

Dudes gonna enjoy that game. He better !!!!

1 week later
#3520 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:"Local Man Regrets Overbidding at Auction" doesn't have the ring of "World's Largest Pinball Collection Hits the Auction Block."

Hahaha yes...I don't believe there will be any follow up press on this.

I also suspect auction part 2 doesn't attract as much attention, although strangely enough the CNN story seems to have a new life. I've been sent messages / linked to the FB story on it about 5 times this past week.

#3526 2 years ago

I predict the magic girl will be a flop.

I think the word is out on this by now. Who wants that heap of shit?

1 week later
#4397 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Overcharging by pinball techs has already been happening for quite sometime, just check past threads where people gloat about it. Like when pinball techs would decide what to charge me based on where I live and what I drive. It's one of the things that pushed me to buy mostly newer machines as I can fix those myself now by just swapping a board.

This is a strange take.

Pinball "techs" are almost universally underpaid and underappreciated. I hear of people going on service calls on non-working Flash games for 50 bucks an hour and I can't believe people subject themselves to that kind of exploitation.

I won't accept jobs anymore unless it's clear the potential client is willing to pay at least a couple hundred per visit regardless of how long it takes, and that a proper service call (or series of calls) will potentially total several times that amount.

Don't like it? Spend 20+ years learning how to work on pinball machines and acquiring the skills and tools necessary for this extremely specialized line of work and do it yourself.

#4400 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

This really sounds like first world problems to the absolute extreme. Complaining about $50 an hour? Cmon

I can tell you've never attempted a pinball service call.

Also, note to Pinside: You can no longer complain about anything pinball related, as pinball problems are all first world problems.

Pinside: Ok, here's about 4 posts a week.

#4405 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Enlighten me, then. Why is $50 an hour akin to slavery, and why does that make it okay to underhandedly change what you charge based off the person's perceived wealth? I would think that if word ever got out that you were doing that, it wouldn't be a good look.

Enlighten me: when did I use the word "slavery?"

Very nice try on the "when did you stop beating your wife?" gambit. Please find someone dumber to try to use it on.

I also don't care about "perceived wealth." If you are dumb enough to pay several times market rate on a game that needs work, you can expect to pay a tech fairly to bail you out. Not sure why someone in the pinball hobby would disagree with that.

#4407 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

I was being hyperbolic. Here, I will rephrase the question. Why is $50 an hour so exploitative?

Because it's about half the fair rate.

I have no idea what you do for a living, but cut your earnings in half and then explain to me why that level of pay would be unfair. It's kind of like that.

#4410 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Then why are they taking the jobs if it's half their rate?

Because they are idiots who underestimate their own self-worth.

Shame on them!

(though to be fair, please send any competent pinball techs who are willing to work for $50 an hour my way, I definitely have a ton of work for them!)

#4415 2 years ago

I have a friend who has ONE game. A Sonic Butterfly. And he wants to sell it.

Naturally, he thinks the best way to do it now is "via auction."

To the moon!!!

#4423 2 years ago

I find this escalation in watch chatter troubling!!!

What is happening to our precious auction thread?!?!?

#4433 2 years ago

Sorry Bob, if you truly love a thread you must set it free.

This is a tech fee thread now!!!!

And it’s an important discussion. People need to be ready when these auctions patsies start desperately calling us up to get their auction mistake disasters running for them.

And I think we’ll be ready. The answer is anywhere from $100 (our diagnostic fee) to $8k (the cost of a new pinball machine).

#4455 2 years ago

Cunningham is delivering these games to people?

That should take…years?

#4462 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Bob is semi retired now and I think he'll get to the customers a little faster. Doesn't really matter anyway. If it takes a little time then so what? Bob rules and you know your items will be taken care of. Hes been posting a lot of pictures of his full trailer on FB. The Maneater is in there I know that much.
I do a little tech work on the side here and there. I challenge anyone who thinks $50 an hour is too much, to give it a try themselves. Specialized fields always command good money. GARRRRR THESE UNDERWATER WELDERS ARE RIPPING EVERYONE OFF I HAD MY BUDDY JIM BOB STICK WELD A FENCE POST FOR ME HOW CAN THESE OTHER GUYS CHARGE SO MUCH?
I often see people on FB who seem like regular joes asking in pinball groups "who fixes pinball machines in X area?". I always wonder if they know what they are in store for. Thats why I always make sure people know what to expect if they are your average person who just thinks having a pinball in the house would be neat. Yeah it is, but be prepared to learn how to work on it or pay a bunch of money to somebody who does.

I just get nervous about these one-man pinball shipping operations, especially ones who take on this volume of work. We've seen it go south many, many times in this hobby. Anybody remember Randy Buffalo?

Bob has a good rep so that's good. Hopefully things go smoothly.

3 weeks later
#4569 2 years ago

No "they are all fleeing CA" run of posts is complete without "poop on the sidewalk!"

So...you know....POOP ON THE SIDEWALK!!!!

#4593 2 years ago

Bob ain't gonna like all this hummingbird talk!!!

2 weeks later
#4682 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

That was a guy I knows machine at Captains that sold for 8300 without fees. He was pissed rightfully so after he unboxed and started playing it.

Rightfully so?!

Who forced him to buy it?

1 month later
#4692 2 years ago

Was the auction a cause or a symptom?

I’m leaning way toward symptom. Auction is a distant memory but higher prices aren’t.

10 months later
#4786 1 year ago

Banning auction got a ton of free national press, including a prominent story in the New York Times. I think NPR did a story...it was seriously all over the place. I can't tell you how many family members sent me various links to the story.

That’s the real reason it blew up like it did. Tons of folks who had never thought about owning a game before saw these stories and got caught up in the excitement.

We probably won't see anything like that again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.